Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

If Superman were scrawny....

Seafood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seafood

Superman's max weight is something like 10 Quintilian tons, but if his muscle mass were small would he still have that max weight?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Idk. In Flashpoint he did rip some in half but that's not near his regular levels

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I not mistaken, every cell in Kryptonian body is an energy converter, so less muscles = less body tissue = less cells to absorb sunlight = less sunlight to fuel his powers = weakened showings IMO.

Seafood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh K. I was thinking that Kryptonian's muscle uses Yellow Sun Energy like our muscles do food. I guess I was correct.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DarthAznable
    No Caption Provided

TheBhramaBull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seafood:

Actually, considering he's not consistently lifting things which are heavy for him (since very little is heavy to him) he shouldn't have such large muscle mass at all.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like to think that his strength would dwindle, but he would still have Kryptonian level strength even if he were skinny.

Seafood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about this?

If I not mistaken, every cell in Kryptonian body is an energy converter, so less muscles = less body tissue = less cells to absorb sunlight = less sunlight to fuel his powers = weakened showings IMO.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seafood said:

What about this?

A little clarification, please; what did you want to ask about?

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seafood:

Actually, considering he's not consistently lifting things which are heavy for him (since very little is heavy to him) he shouldn't have such large muscle mass at all.

He got buff when things like lifting trains and such caused strain. Not to mention, Clark was physically active growing up, long before his powers matured. Him being built isn't a surprise. And since his powers maintain his strength levels, he has no problem with losing muscle mass.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually prefer a smaller superman. He should keep all of his strength though. Wonder woman and Supergirl are way smaller yet around his level so muscle mass means very little in comics.

Heatvision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Superman's muscular physique make much of a difference to how strong he is. Superman is super strong because of gifted alien biochemistry. Him being muscular is just how he's drawn. Think of Supergirl. She's as strong as Superman, but is drawn like regular sex appeal female comic book character.

TheBhramaBull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thanosismad:

Trains are not heavy for him, he can bench press more than the Earth's weight. That would be like me picking up a feather and gaining muscle.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SanoHibiki

@thebhramabull:

Trains are not heavy for him, he can bench press more than the Earth's weight.

When he was younger, he was much weaker than he is now; trains were a problem for him back then (see early Action Comics).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.