Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

If he never died....

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Saren

If he never actually died after the fight with Doomsday, then how did he get turned into a Black Lantern?

flash_fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By flash_fanboy

I both watched the "Superman: Doomsday" film and read the first collection of Blackest night  very recently and i thought exactly the same thing. 
    I think its probably just a rather large mistake made by DC =P
    azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By azza04

It was the alternate Earth Superman who was brought back as a Black Lantern wasn't it? The one that was killed by Superboy Prime after they flew him through the red sun.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Saren
    @azza04 said:

It was the alternate Earth Superman who was brought back as a Black Lantern wasn't it? The one that was killed by Superboy Prime after they flew him through the red sun.

Both were Black Lantern'd. The alternate Earth Supeman was resurrected and had to be put down by Power Girl. The regular Superman was BL'd along with Wonder Woman when they had an emotional response after seeing the Black Lantern Batman.
    z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By z3ro180
    @CitizenBane: wasent he killed then put in a tube and resuected.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By danhimself

The Death and Return could still have happened in the DCnU

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Saren
    @Z3RO180 said:
    @CitizenBane: wasent he killed then put in a tube and resuected.
    When was that?
    Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By Jekylhyde14
    @danhimself said:
    The Death and Return could still have happened in the DCnU

I'm pretty sure they are keeping The Death and Return of Superman in the DCnU, so if that's the question then no worries.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @CitizenBane: I don't remember the exact issue number but it happened shortly after the Eradicator became Superman, I don't think it was ever said in comic that that's what happened but it was sort of implied when the body was stolen.
    z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By z3ro180
    @CitizenBane: isnt that how he came back after the death of superman story arc??
    Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is by far the most confusing thread (for others) I have ever seen.

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jekylhyde14

My reading of the death and resurrection was that he did actually die (and his robots tell him in as many words right after he comes back that he DID actually die so as not to invalidate his sacrifice), but was put into that Kryptonian healing chamber in time to soak up enough yellow sunlight and return. The Eradicator, as I remember it, brought him there and copied his form (did not posses him) so he could take over until Kal came back. The important thing to note is that he DID, in fact, die. He saw the afterlife but he didn't step into the light. You can thank Pa Kent for that. I wish I had my comics with me to give you the play by play, but that's how I remember it and I'm pretty sure that's how it went down. 

Avatar image for deactivated-649a95712285a
    deactivated-649a95712285a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

That wasn't our Superman brought back exactly. It was earth 2? maybe? I think I might be wrong with that number, but I know I'm right with the rest. It wasn't the regular superman obviously because they need a body to make a Black Lantern and Superman was kind of using it at the moment.

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jekylhyde14
    @UpUpAndAway said:

That wasn't our Superman brought back exactly. It was earth 2? maybe? I think I might be wrong with that number, but I know I'm right with the rest. It wasn't the regular superman obviously because they need a body to make a Black Lantern and Superman was kind of using it at the moment.

Nope. Citizen Bane was right when he said that both Supermen were turned into Black Lanterns. The Earth-2 Superman was turned first (as he was killed by Superman-Prime in Infinite Crisis) then the in-continuity Superman was instantly turned into a Black Lantern by Nekron during a sweeping move that turned most of the great heroes who had died into his slaves.  

So to recap: 
    Yes, Superman died in the Death of Superman. 
    Yes, he was turned into a Black Lantern during Blackest Night along with the Earth-2 Superman. 
    He came back from both. 
    The Death and Return of Superman will still be in continuity in the DCnU when the September revamp comes along (I have no idea if Blackest Night will stay in-continuity as well, but it probably will considering Johns' status at DC). 

I hope this clears everything up.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By danhimself
    @Jekylhyde14 said:
    My reading of the death and resurrection was that he did actually die (and his robots tell him in as many words right after he comes back that he DID actually die so as not to invalidate his sacrifice), but was put into that Kryptonian healing chamber in time to soak up enough yellow sunlight and return. The Eradicator, as I remember it, brought him there and copied his form (did not posses him) so he could take over until Kal came back. The important thing to note is that he DID, in fact, die. He saw the afterlife but he didn't step into the light. You can thank Pa Kent for that. I wish I had my comics with me to give you the play by play, but that's how I remember it and I'm pretty sure that's how it went down. 
    you're correct on all of that
    Avatar image for deactivated-649a95712285a
    deactivated-649a95712285a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@Jekylhyde14: Yeah. Now that I think about it. I remember. Here's a scan.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.