I think they should give Superman his movie costume

#1 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

I am very disapointed with supermans costume in the New 52. I know they wanted to modernize superman's costume(which im okay with since underwear over costumes looks pretty stupid) but did they really have to make it look like armor. I like his movie costume better than his current comic book costume. Im not a big fan of making the comics more like the movies, but im also not a big fan of changes superman's costume so it can appeal to hipsters. Just like the title states I think they should give supes his movie costume.

#2 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

I like his current costume.

I wouldn't mind if it lost all of the extra lines since so many people complain though. That the only change I would find acceptable.

The movie costume looks like shite. Not enough red and his belt needs to be more prominent.

Just my opinion.

#3 Posted by Razero (336 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade: I agree about the movie costume . It really needs a belt to break it up.

#4 Posted by danhimself (22682 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the best suit other than his classic is the Smallville suit

#5 Posted by Z3RO180 (6669 posts) - - Show Bio

supermans costume is awesome. Also the redunderwear over the blue suit didnt bother me what does bother me is peole say they hate it but batman did it and no one bats and eyelid at him.

#6 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of the new one, but it can be done well. Sometimes it's drawn too bulky or plastic, like it's a Star Wars Stormtrooper costume.

I'm actually a big fan of the movie costume. And I like the shield redesign better than the New 52 one, too.

#7 Posted by Tyrus (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the original design for his New 52 costume -

I like how the cape is attached to his "S" Logo, it makes more sense unlike the one that he is currently wearing, where the cape just leads into his collar bone. Though, it looks like they ended up using the design above for Superman's costume in Injustice: God's Among Us.

As for the movie design - it actually looks awesome, more realistic unlike the one in Bryan Singer's film - the underwear just doesn't work in a movie...

#8 Edited by Immortal777 (7732 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the new 52 suit but my favorite suit of all time is Action Comics

The movie idc what suit Superman wears just as long as its a decent movie

#9 Posted by Batmandemon23 (138 posts) - - Show Bio

@Tyrus said:

I like the original design for his New 52 costume -

I like how the cape is attached to his "S" Logo, it makes more sense unlike the one that he is currently wearing, where the cape just leads into his collar bone. Though, it looks like they ended up using the design above for Superman's costume in Injustice: God's Among Us.

As for the movie design - it actually looks awesome, more realistic unlike the one in Bryan Singer's film - the underwear just doesn't work in a movie...

If rocksteady were to make an awesome superman game, I'd want, or something similar to, this to be his main costume

#10 Edited by G_Money_Christmas (884 posts) - - Show Bio

I know some may @Immortal777 said:

I like the new 52 suit but my favorite suit of all time is Action Comics

The movie idc what suit Superman wears just as long as its a decent movie

I know some may consider it blasphemous, but I agree on the Action Comics outfit (you can't really consider it a suit). It makes him seem more like a normal kid and the workboots and jeans are kick-ass... it's probably expensive replacing them all the time, though haha

I think his regular New 52 suit is pretty awesome, though

#11 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this one, seems somehow more.. kryptonian? Better if they removed the collar.

#12 Posted by ltbrd (562 posts) - - Show Bio

: I also really like the Smallville series suit and what they did with the technology aspect of the belt buckle.

: A cool sketch and I do like the wrap around of the shoulders by the cape but the s-shield is way too big (front and back) but the concept would work with a smaller symbol. The only thing I would really change is the belt for this design. Just leave it all gold and get rid of the three floating pieces around the buckle. Only say that because there is so much red in this design with the wrap around cape that look doesn't need anymore at the waist.

Though I didn't like how the suit was introduced in Action Comics (think it would have been more appropriate for it to have been created after the Collector of Worlds arc by in the first fortress) I like the idea that the suit is Kryptonian armor and it uses nanotechnology in its generation and storage. Its a good way to hide the suit, showcase the technology of Krypton, and allow his clothing as Clark Kent to not be so formal and covering but have a more natural, normal working joe appeal. I still don't really understand if the whole suit is contained within the shield or it its worn like a t-shirt most of the time...Superman #11 was a bit vague on the specifics.

I don't like that they made it look like armor all the time, they need to have the shield design all over the suit (a complaint by nearly every fan of the Superman Returns suit), and that the belt is red instead of gold (he has enough red in his suit already they could have kept the gold belt to break things up).

I wish they would have gone one extra step and identified the armor as having two distinct layers (just like you would have in any real-life armor). The first layer is a skin tight body suit that is designed to withstand friction and tearing. Basically something similar to what he's wearing in the movie as well as his earlier incarnations.That's what we see covering 90% of Superman's body (I do like the collar). The remaining 10% could be the second layer of armor at specific points of his body, like forearms, outer thighs, rib cage, and spine, as well as the shield and boots being armored (the movie costume does something a bit like this with the raised pattern design in similar areas) and have those pieces have a slightly metallic sheen to them (particularly the pieces covering the forearms, ribs, spin, and outer thighs that could be more blue-steel than the flat blue of the body suit) to stand out a bit and give artists nice reflective surfaces for flight and sunlit panels.

In terms of the cape I don't mind how its presented right now as it can be interpreted as being firmly connected to the neck of the suit given its generated in the same way. I think it would have been nice if they would have connected it to the shield since they had no problem doing it in the Earth-2 series or giving the thumbs up for the Injustice: God Among Us game, especially given the fact they so clearly wanted the reader to see how the cape is held on for the new 52's Supergirl design. If I could have my cake and eat it to I would have preferred they not use the cape as his baby blanket (really hate the silver age concept that all krypton-based objects gain near invincible levels of durability under a yellow sun) and instead interpreted as signs of rank among the Kryptonian Military Guild (having either his grandfather or uncle re-interpreted as a Commander in the Guild) and Superman wears them cape in honor of that person (thus connection to the fact that in World of New Krypton he was Commander El).

As for my thought on the armor being two-layered, to finish up my point, though we only see a very small percentage of the second layer most of the time, writers could make full use of it in particular situations where Superman is up against tougher opponents (indicating just what level his invulnerability in the new 52 is really at), traveling deep into space (indicating his level of stamina and how long he can hold his breath), or when he needs protection from high amounts of kryptonite or kryptonite based villains (stating, like in the Smallville series, that the second layer armor is of lead based composition). If everyone remembers the last Superman/Batman series, I'm thinking a full set of Kryptonian armor looks something like this

re-designed to be in keeping with the visual style of the new 52. With luck writers wouldn't abuse this feature so as to keep the "oh crap things are getting serious" moments memorable when Superman needs to don his full armor but that way be a bit too much to ask.

#13 Posted by ltbrd (562 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180: Nice pun by the way. Agree with you but I think the biggest reason people didn't complain about Batman as much were because he didn't have them in the movies (beginning with Tim Burton's Batman), they blended better with the rest of his costume (rather than the clash of red and blue for Superman), most of his panels have him crouching or obscured in shadow and thus hide them, and he lost them prior to the new 52 with his design change with Batman Incorporated. So by the time the new 52 was being announced and we were getting sketches of the character re-designs, people already had an expectation of Batman without outer underwear and so were more interested in seeing Superman catch up to that idea.

#14 Posted by Onemoreposter (4086 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate the collar.

That's my two cents

#15 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

The movie costume is pretty similar to the New52 Costume, sans the lines indicating armor.

#16 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

@Selinaky: AGREED

#17 Edited by Captain13 (3511 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter said:

I LOVE the collar.

That's my two cents

fixed

I like the armor and collars. They're popular on deviantart too... See comments here:JPRart on deviantART

It's a costume that's meant to appeal to new readers, who didn't like his undies look. I'm one of those readers. I confess to thinking that the Super collar looked badass ever since I saw Superman with one in Wizard Magazine's Ultimate Superman design. And Henry Cavill's lack of a collar in the upcoming Man of Steel film, makes me like the collar even more. It just oozes cool in my honest opinion. And I don't think that it flys in the face of who Superman is or what his character is.

I think comics readers--whether they realize it or not--want things to stay the same but at the same time get new stories. It doesn't make sense to me. Just my opinion. Something that had appeal in 1970 is unlikely to have the same appeal to audiences now. Most kids try not to listen to their parents' music. That's what every parent or older generation thinks because they've grown up with a certain kind of music. My dad was born in '47 and during his twenties 70s music was great. I can't stand the stuff. I was born in '91. I'm in my twenties now and I like 2010s music. I'm sure that my kids will hate the stuff. And I won't like their 2040s music. It's cycles. And yes, I'm being broad to illustrate a point.

The fact that characters DO change is what makes them relevant to each decade. As long as the core ideas are there, I personally don't mind superficial changes like costumes or girlfriends. Does Clark have the same powers? Yes. Does he have the same personality? 98% yes. Sure, his stories in the New52 haven't been great. Morrison has forgotten how to properly pace stories and he just throws out ideas. The writers of Superman have only given us dull stories. But that's the fault of the writers, and it's ONLY been 1 year. Nitpicking about costumes is silly to me.

What we should be nitpicking about is who will inherent the Superman stories and whether or not they will give us memorable and entertaining Superman stories.

Obviously, these are all just my personal opinions.

Superman by Jeremy Roberts
#18 Posted by Superboy101 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion I would prefer something like this.

#19 Posted by TheCannon (19211 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the New 52 costume. While I like the costume for Man of Steel (though the New 52 is better), I think that they should keep the New 52.

#20 Posted by PurpleCandy (776 posts) - - Show Bio

Well its decent, at least now he looks more scyfi actiony.

#21 Posted by Space_Captain_Ulyverse (33 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

I love the New 52 costume. While I like the costume for Man of Steel (though the New 52 is better), I think that they should keep the New 52.

^This

#22 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superboy101 said:

Totally would not mind this.

But I like the new 52 and original new 52 design. IMO Smallville's outfit is the worst. Do not like the the dark patch at the side

#23 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

Some of these costumes have their charms but they seem, well, unnecessarily "busy".

The idea of a uniform that looks like armor takes away from Superman a bit. If he's really so tough, why body armor, right?

Also, in terms of new 52 design, I know this is a nitpick, but having only one or two people (Cully Hamner, Jim Lee) design all of the costume changes may have been a poor idea. The DCU contains characters from Mythology, space, Gotham, Metropolis, Star City, etc...so why do they all eventually end up in costumes with similar designs?

#24 Edited by G_Money_Christmas (884 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superboy101 said:

I like that suit, too. I, like so many others, think he needs a red belt to separate everything, though. I think it'd be cool if the forearms of the suit were red, though. I think there is too much blue.

#25 Posted by Rumble Man (11118 posts) - - Show Bio

Long Johns?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.