Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

I think that Frank Miller at least respects Superman

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was thinking about this the other day. If Frank Miller hates Superman like most people think he does, why would he make him a main character in a lot of his stories. For example, I don't like Iron Man and I wouldn't make him a lead character or do nods to his comics in my stories. He also reinvented Superman to a certain extent because he showed us why the idea of an ultra-patriotic superhero doesn't work in the modern world. If Miller hadn't written DKR, the superman we read today might be a different character.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Frank Miller is capable of respect towards a character?!? Really?

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Have you seen Dark Knight Strikes Again? Or All Star Batman and Robin? The dude depicts Superman as some weak-willed moron (at very best).

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you seen Dark Knight Strikes Again? Or All Star Batman and Robin? The dude depicts Superman as some weak-willed moron (at very best).

QFT!!

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 2

Frank Miller doesn't respect Superman as much as Superman fans or certain writers do. Heck, I'm confident that he can't write a good Superman story to save his life. He was a great writer back in the day but now he only cares about dark-violent-edgy characters that at times act childishly and beat the crap out of people out for reasons of insanity, write/draw female characters like sluts, and call inappropriate names to races to get across his views.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He loves Superman.

BB

DarkKnight1939

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He loves Superman.

BB

Correction: he is in love with Superman. A love that can only be expressed by writing terrible comics and terrible Superman characterisations.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People try to defend him and I honestly dont see why.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billy_batson said:

He loves Superman.

BB

Correction: he is in love with Superman. A love that can only be expressed by writing terrible comics and terrible Superman characterisations.

Hmmm nah.

BB

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude destroyes Superman's popularity.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

No

No he doesn't.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

The guy never respected Superman and never will. And the fact that Zack Synder is actually consulting with this son of a b**** for the Superman/Batman movie has really made my hopes for the film hit the ground.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really care about how Superman is portrayed in elseworld stories. I highly doubt he hates Superman but I'd assume he isn't a huge fan.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@eternal19 said:

If Frank Miller hates Superman like most people think he does, why would he make him a main character in a lot of his stories. For example, I don't like Iron Man and I wouldn't make him a lead character or do nods to his comics in my stories.

Well that's not necessarily true. Going with your IronMan example, let's pretend I'm a biased writer who hates Iron Man and I can't control my hate against him. I'd probably try to put him in plenty of stories as long as I'm able to mock him and ridicule him. Ignoring a character doesn't hurt them but ridiculing them and making other characters beat them up sure does.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.