Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

I'm tired of bad/average Superman comics

• 51 results
    redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It's all about Batman or Swamp and Animal etc.

Why no love for Superman?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Want a tissue?

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Animal Man's series got cancelled, and I really haven't heard many people talk about Swamp Thing. From what I've heard, Superman Unchained and Greg Pak's Action Comics are great. I haven't read either, so I don't really know, but still.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Squalleon

Animal Man's series got cancelled, and I really haven't heard many people talk about Swamp Thing. From what I've heard, Superman Unchained and Greg Pak's Action Comics are great. I haven't read either, so I don't really know, but still.

They are, they truly are.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Saren

Come read Batman comics. Buccelato and Manapul had a pretty good start to their 'Tec run today.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t get the OP.

Is that about quality of Superman titles? If so, then I don’t understand what is there to complain about? AC is awesome, SM Unchained, BM/SM and SM/WW – maybe they don’t get all “pure awesome” reviews, but practically every person can find something to his/her liking. Plus Johns will write Superman title soon enough. Things in our favorite Kryptonian’s land look good IMO.

If OP is about fans’ reactions, well, Superman is pretty polarizing hero plus some people can’t let go of Pre-New-52 continuity. But I assure you, there is plenty of love for Supes.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By SupBatz

I haven't been a fan of recent Superman stories and characterization. I'd welcome a great Superman comic to come around. Even those that people have tended to like (i.e. Batman/Superman, Action Comics) have been average, in my opinion.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supbatz said:

I haven't been a fan of recent Superman stories and characterization. I'd welcome a great Superman comic to come around. Even those that people have tended to like (i.e. Batman/Superman, Action Comics) have been average, in my opinion.

Adventures of Superman?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Squalleon

@saren said:

Come read Batman comics. Buccelato and Manapul had a pretty good start to their 'Tec run today.

It is just the start don't get excited...although their art is gorgeous, their stories are meh.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#10 frozen  Moderator

The best Superman stories are elseworlds. The story with 'President Superman' is one of the best I've read. Unfortunately, DC can't write good in-continuity Superman stories.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

@saren said:

It is just the start don't get excited...although their art is gorgeous, their stories are meh.

That's the fun part about reading Batman comics! If one title doesn't agree with you, there's others to choose from. And they're actually good. It's rad is what it is.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@frozen said:

The best Superman stories are elseworlds. The story with 'President Superman' is one of the best I've read. Unfortunately, DC can't write good in-continuity Superman stories.

There were plenty of great stories pre-crisis.

BB

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@billy_batson: I know. I consider Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow to be great. But the better stories such as Kingdom Come, Red Son and For All Seasons. The best post crisis stories (Man of Steel, Birthright) were made non-canon.

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@saren said:

Oh it was excellent wasn't it? I think Manapul is the best story telling artist in comics

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 frozen  Moderator

@frozen said:

@billy_batson: I know. I consider Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow to be great. But the better stories such as Kingdom Come, Red Son and For All Seasons were made out of continuity (KC was changed to be). The best post crisis stories (Man of Steel, Birthright) were made non-canon.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I don’t get the OP.

Is that about quality of Superman titles? If so, then I don’t understand what is there to complain about? AC is awesome, SM Unchained, BM/SM and SM/WW – maybe they don’t get all “pure awesome” reviews, but practically every person can find something to his/her liking. Plus Johns will write Superman title soon enough. Things in our favorite Kryptonian’s land look good IMO.

If OP is about fans’ reactions, well, Superman is pretty polarizing hero plus some people can’t let go of Pre-New-52 continuity. But I assure you, there is plenty of love for Supes.

I think he's mad cause of Lobdel & Jim Lee

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: would you really call kingdom come a superman story?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 frozen  Moderator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: I know superman is a major character but I wouldn't really call it his story.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@jayc1324: It was completely his story. Superman interacted with many other characters but never once was it anybody else's story.

Lois, Jimmy, Perry White and co were all killed. It was only logical that the story touched upon the JLA side of Superman.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: he shared the cover with everyone else and his name wasn't in the title. So many other appeared and were used it was more of a justice league story.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm enjoying every Superman title except Superman, and I can't wait for Johns to take control of that. I hope he uses the crap out of Krypto :)

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@jayc1324: Wonder Woman tells Superman that everyone takes lead from him. The other characters appeared but Superman's story was explored the most. KC Superman is the character that appeared in the mainstream continuinity. The story was more Superman than anyone else. Most of the characters on the cover were fodder for the Gulag Battle.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Well currently people shouldn't even be trying to take Superman stories for real except Pak's current run on AC and Morrrison's run on AC as well, everything else is crap and doesn't deserve a guy's attention.Superman Unchained is a good book as well but you get a single issue in like 2-3 months and it isn't worth the wait for me.

So just choose the right path,choose the Batman path.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

Well currently people shouldn't even be trying to take Superman stories for real except Pak's current run on AC and Morrrison's run on AC as well, everything else is crap and doesn't deserve a guy's attention.Superman Unchained is a good book as well but you get a single issue in like 2-3 months and it isn't worth the wait for me.

Which doesn't look good now either...
    I mean Batman is a retelling of other better stories. Detective comics was average and the dark knight was meh.
    Batman Eternal is the only single ray of hope.

If you want modern classics you go to Green Arrow and Wonder Woman.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@squalleon: People are saying that Manapul and Booch's Tec run got off to a good start grounding and refocusing the character's detective/mystery background.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@squalleon: People are saying that Manapul and Booch's Tec run got off to a good start grounding and refocusing the character's detective/mystery background.

I hope it is good. The detective aspect of Batman is my favorite and the one used the least lately :-(
    It's just that don't really trust M&B as writers yet, not that I have read many things from them but their Flash although gorgeous, it was meh when it came to story.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what there are several superman comic doing great i.e unchained, action comics, superman/wonder woman, batman/superman. Yea his solo title isn't doing so well but the others are.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think historically there has been a dearth of really good Superman titles and this is because I honestly think writers find it hard to write him in an interesting way, but right now there is some good stuff out there. Action Comics 25-29 was a great little run and Unchained was the most interesting Superman book for a few years, it just keeps getting delayed! I wouldn't say Batman is streets and streets ahead of Superman right now for comic quality. Plenty of love for Supes too on the CV. If you don't believe it just do a troll post like "Superman is OP'd" and see what reaction you get from the Superman fans-lol!!

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@squalleon:

I have to disagree. Granted it did take two reads, I found their flash to be amazing. It was, to me, emotionally relevant, we'll paced, we'll balanced in terms of powers, very very aesthetically pleasing, and, most importantly, a damn good time.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TDK_1997

@tdk_1997 said:

Which doesn't look good now either...

I mean Batman is a retelling of other better stories. Detective comics was average and the dark knight was meh.

Batman Eternal is the only single ray of hope.

If you want modern classics you go to Green Arrow and Wonder Woman.

The good Batman titles for me are Detective Comics,Batman and Robin and Batwoman.Those are the only ones that deserve anyone's attentiton.Nobody should even think about buying Snyder's crap.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Squalleon

@tdk_1997 said:
    Nobody should even think about buying Snyder's crap.

Agreed.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

Agreed.

I know you're not saying that Superman Unchained is crap but why do you prefer Unchained over his Batman run if you don't mind my asking? I do too, I'm just curious as to what your reasons are.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Trust me, some people refuse to accept it as a Superman story for some reason. Most Superman elseworld stories revolve around the Justice League because, to be honest, his supporting cast sucks. Lois is annoying, Jimmy is just weird and DC never really developed Perry. Why not just use a better supporting cast in the Justice League?

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what the OP is talking about, AC, SM/WW are both good books to me. Maybe Supes just isn't for you.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

At this very moment Superman actually has better creators than Batman. I't cycles dude, but whatever.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@squalleon said:

@tdk_1997 said:

Agreed.

I know you're not saying that Superman Unchained is crap but why do you prefer Unchained over his Batman run if you don't mind my asking? I do too, I'm just curious as to what your reasons are.

You asking me or @squalleon?I got a little confused. :P

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@squalleon said:

@tdk_1997 said:

Agreed.

IF you are asking me, then it is because I feel that his run has very few merits. His stories are unoriginal and usually rehashes of better stories. His endings up to this point were weak, with no lasting consequences even though they had been promoted as game-changers. His Joker was a joke for many reasons. Constant tie-ins. And most of all, it doesn't captivate me.
    Superman Unchained though is different. Snyder's strength is dialogue and in a book like SU which up until now is based on repartee around Wraith and Superman it gives the book a good feel. Also the ''Philosophical issues'' about Superman's place in the world although played out, are a very interesting part of the character.The storyline hasn't ended yet(ugh...) and I don't know if Snyder will deliver a strong ending.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I have the same problem with Snyder's endings. He hasn't done a good job of endings in the past and I don't know whether that'll be the case here too. I sincerely hope not though.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@squalleon: I have the same problem with Snyder's endings. He hasn't done a good job of endings in the past and I don't know whether that'll be the case here too. I sincerely hope not though.

Fan Fact: With so many delays the ending might seem good because you won't remember the rest of the story :-P

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 frozen  Moderator

@frozen: Trust me, some people refuse to accept it as a Superman story for some reason. Most Superman elseworld stories revolve around the Justice League because, to be honest, his supporting cast sucks. Lois is annoying, Jimmy is just weird and DC never really developed Perry. Why not just use a better supporting cast in the Justice League?

Lol, it's strange. It's completely a Superman story - and that is undeniable. It's nice it used some of the external characters but it was always a Superman story, just on a larger scale.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By frozen  Moderator

Snyder's Batman run is leagues beyond his Superman run.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

..I quite like Snyder's stuff, either Batman or the Unchained book, but hey, everyone like's different stuff...its cool.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

I have to differ on you there mate. Although I enjoyed Court of Owls, that stole a lot from Morrison's RIP storyline and The Black Glove to boot. Death of the Family was a huge cop out and a disappointment to boot in the end since there were no consequences to it. And Zero Year has dragged on for far too long even as over arching stories go. It's stuck perpetually in Batman's origin for an inexplicable reason when the origin isn't what needs to be explored, it's Batman's current stories that need fleshing out.

In contrast, Unchained has a much stronger and at least different plot, his dialogue is mostly well handled and the philosophical questions of Superman's place in the world are executed well along with a good use of the supporting cast. I enjoyed it much more than most of his Batman run. Just my opinion though.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TDK_1997

@frozen said:

And why would you say such a thing?Snyder's Batman stories so far have been either major disappointments that drag out too much and you get tired of them or stories that aren't original but the idea has been taken from a previous story.His best Batman story is not a Bruce one but a Dick Grayson one and that is the Black Mirror.

While his Unchained so far has been the best superhero story he has ever written in my opinion rather than the Court of Owls but that story took a lot from Morrison's Black Glove and RIP.His storytelling,his dialogue and understanding of Superman has been great and it seems like he is taking a different turn than his Batman stories.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: Yeah, except his Superman story isn't really a Superman story at all. More a Justice League/World's Finest story.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TDK_1997

@tdk_1997: Yeah, except his Superman story isn't really a Superman story at all. More a Justice League/World's Finest story.

How so?Where have you seen a Justice League member in the book for me than a few panels.And what is wrong with that actually,his supporting cast appears and when there are bigger threats why shouldn't he call his powerful friends that can help him deal with the problem.

Endanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 2

Detective Comics - Crap for the most part

Batman - good

Legend of Dark Knight - Putrid garbage

Batman & Robin - Above average

As good a character as people say that Batman is.....man a lot of his stories are just straight garbage. So I don't know what the OP is even talking about.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@endanger said:

Batman - good

As good a character as people say that Batman is.....man a lot of his stories are just straight garbage. So I don't know what the OP is even talking about.

No Tec isn't crap,it's been very good since Layman took over and Batman & Robin is hit and miss,it's amazing one issue and meh the next.Legends of the Dark Knight was fantastic(atleast the issues I read.),so I dont know what you're talking about,if anything it' Batman that I think is mediocre.

@frozen said:

Disagree,Snyder may have better concepts in Batman but Superman Unchained is far more compelling than any issue of Batman,and the reason for this is that Snyder's Superman IS Superman for the most part,wheras his Batman is just some generic action hero in a bat suit.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 frozen  Moderator

@lvenger said:

@frozen said:

I have to differ on you there mate. Although I enjoyed Court of Owls, that stole a lot from Morrison's RIP storyline and The Black Glove to boot. Death of the Family was a huge cop out and a disappointment to boot in the end since there were no consequences to it. And Zero Year has dragged on for far too long even as over arching stories go. It's stuck perpetually in Batman's origin for an inexplicable reason when the origin isn't what needs to be explored, it's Batman's current stories that need fleshing out.

In contrast, Unchained has a much stronger and at least different plot, his dialogue is mostly well handled and the philosophical questions of Superman's place in the world are executed well along with a good use of the supporting cast. I enjoyed it much more than most of his Batman run. Just my opinion though.

I'm not to keen on Zero Year. Year One was perfect for what it is. And Superman has had more origin stories told:

• Byrne's Man of Steel
    • Waid's Birthright
    • Johns' Secret Origins (which was canon for TWO years)
    • New-52

It gets a bit tiring seeing Superman have new, different origins. And while I do love the throwback to the Golden Age, his origin feels to small a scale. While Man of Steel in my opinion, told a much better origin story. In regards to Unchained, I find Snyder's Clark rather dull and too much of a 'blogger' role.

@endanger said:

Batman - good

No Tec isn't crap,it's been very good since Layman took over and Batman & Robin is hit and miss,it's amazing one issue and meh the next.Legends of the Dark Knight was fantastic(atleast the issues I read.),so I dont know what you're talking about,if anything it' Batman that I think is mediocre.

@frozen said:

Disagree,Snyder may have better concepts in Batman but Superman Unchained is far more compelling than any issue of Batman,and the reason for this is that Snyder's Superman IS Superman for the most part,wheras his Batman is just some generic action hero in a bat suit.

Snyder's Batman is interesting and fun. The dialogue in his Batman run is neat too.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.