I have a doubt regarding the Superman costume.

#1 Posted by crestfallen (298 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone know why in Action Comics #10, Superman uses the T-shirt and jeans when he is alone, and when he is with the Justice League uses his space suit?

#2 Edited by sesquipedalophobe (4704 posts) - - Show Bio

It's the crazy timeline.

#3 Posted by Scott757 (54 posts) - - Show Bio

isn't Action Comics taking place BEFORE JL, or did they make a leap forward with Issue 10?

#4 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

He switches costumes.

#5 Posted by sinestro_GL (3127 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess they're going between time periods.

T-shirt looks happened before he joined JLA, and when he did form the JLA, he already had the Kryptonian battle suit on (in Justice League #1)

#6 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Inconsistency?

Moderator
#7 Posted by danhimself (22492 posts) - - Show Bio

it's not an inconsistency or switching between time periods...he already has the new costume in #10...my guess is that it's like how Peter Parker wore the black costume some days and wore the red and blue costume other days

#8 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: Hard to tell, especially with Morrison providing absolutely no explanation regarding said interaction.

Moderator
#9 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget: He switches costumes....traitor. :P
#10 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: That's the assumption yeah, but I would've loved an explanation. :P

Moderator
#11 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget: He has the t-shirt for street level stuff and the costume for powerhouse stuff.
#12 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: I guess but at his young age, it would make more sense for him to wear his suit constantly since his durability isn't fully developed.

Moderator
#13 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget: Just for the record....Nimrod has a bursting shell and it didn't work.
#14 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: Bursting shell ain't got nothing on a tank shell.

Moderator
#15 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget: And the costume is not an armor costume.
#16 Posted by cellot (80 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, everyone has to dress up nicer for work, but when they're working from home they're just in jeans and T-shirt.

#17 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: What do you mean? It's shown proper durability similar to his cape.

Moderator
#18 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget: yes, but its not armor.
#19 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: I see it more as armour than the skin-tight material he wore Pre-52.

Moderator
#20 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget:
#21 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: Good scan but I see it as merely artist interpretation. The way it's seen forming in Superman #7 kind of disproves what Action Comics shows.

Moderator
#22 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget: Anything in the Superman title is non canon for me.
#23 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: Considering the way it's written, it might as well be.

Moderator
#24 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget: It totally should.
#25 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Because of Comics.

#26 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: Unbelievable mate. Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern and Aquaman all have insanely spectacular on-going and besides Action Comics, Superman is horrendous.

Moderator
#27 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget: Superman always get the short end of the stick man!
#28 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: Considering he's one of the top three, they'd consider trying to get a far better creative team for him.

Moderator
#29 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2633 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: I say it's because he secretly prefers the shirt and jeans and is having a hard time making the switch. Ah, the eternal battle between being comfortable or being cool.

#30 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@Deranged Midget: I say it's because he secretly prefers the shirt and jeans and is having a hard time making the switch. Ah, the eternal battle between being comfortable or being cool.

This. Everybody forgets the updated Superman thinks more "humanly". Hence, I doubt he is more comfortable with the Alien leotard-looking suit than the plain shirt and jeans when he's just roaming Metropolis.

#31 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

He wears the costume for extra protection. So if its just a regular police and thief routine, he'll just use the tshirt.

#32 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@Deranged Midget: I say it's because he secretly prefers the shirt and jeans and is having a hard time making the switch. Ah, the eternal battle between being comfortable or being cool.

This. Everybody forgets the updated Superman thinks more "humanly". Hence, I doubt he is more comfortable with the Alien leotard-looking suit than the plain shirt and jeans when he's just roaming Metropolis.

Makes sense, at least I know I'd rather wear a t-shirt and jeans over a skin-tight armoured suit.

Moderator
#33 Posted by crestfallen (298 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@ssejllenrad said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@Deranged Midget: I say it's because he secretly prefers the shirt and jeans and is having a hard time making the switch. Ah, the eternal battle between being comfortable or being cool.

This. Everybody forgets the updated Superman thinks more "humanly". Hence, I doubt he is more comfortable with the Alien leotard-looking suit than the plain shirt and jeans when he's just roaming Metropolis.

Makes sense, at least I know I'd rather wear a t-shirt and jeans over a skin-tight armoured suit.

I think that since this all started with the New 52, the authors spend a lot of time fixing bugs. At first it was the shield in the cape.

http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/crestfallen/hey-kal-watch-your-back/87-75093/

Then it was the color of the shirt, blue became white, and recently explained that he had a T-shirt of each color depending on his mood. (They must be laughing at us right now with that explanation).

I think the difference of the costumes is a continuity error. At first used the T-shirt marking a start to his career as a "superhero", and 6 issues later he get the supersuit. The fans began to wonder why it took so little Superman's past and now they will say that he uses both suits, the T-Shirt in summer time and de full costume in winter?. That's very strange. Don't you think?

#34 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@crestfallen said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ssejllenrad said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@Deranged Midget: I say it's because he secretly prefers the shirt and jeans and is having a hard time making the switch. Ah, the eternal battle between being comfortable or being cool.

This. Everybody forgets the updated Superman thinks more "humanly". Hence, I doubt he is more comfortable with the Alien leotard-looking suit than the plain shirt and jeans when he's just roaming Metropolis.

Makes sense, at least I know I'd rather wear a t-shirt and jeans over a skin-tight armoured suit.

I think that since this all started with the New 52, the authors spend a lot of time fixing bugs. At first it was the shield in the cape.

http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/crestfallen/hey-kal-watch-your-back/87-75093/

Then it was the color of the shirt, blue became white, and recently explained that he had a T-shirt of each color depending on his mood. (They must be laughing at us right now with that explanation).

I think the difference of the costumes is a continuity error. At first used the T-shirt marking a start to his career as a "superhero", and 6 issues later he get the supersuit. The fans began to wonder why it took so little Superman's past and now they will say that he uses both suits, the T-Shirt in summer time and de full costume in winter?. That's very strange. Don't you think?

The shield in the cape was the only "bug"

The tshirt changed color because in one of the issue his shirt broke and he saw a bunch of superman tshirts all in various colors so he bought/used them. Everytime the tshirt breaks he would use a new one and not everyone comes in blue.

Also there wasn't a continuity error. In issues 5 and 6 it was in the near future where he always got the suit, then issues 7 and 8 went back to the 5 year ago period.

#35 Posted by crestfallen (298 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

and he saw a bunch of superman tshirts all in various colors so he bought/used them.

Sorry, but in which issue did that really happened?

For me, there is a problem of continuity, for example, in Action Comics 10, you see Superman with the Justice League and presumably still does not fly. But in the comicbook of the Justice League, Superman flies. How do you explain that?

#36 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@crestfallen said:

@sethysquare said:

and he saw a bunch of superman tshirts all in various colors so he bought/used them.

Sorry, but in which issue did that really happened?

For me, there is a problem of continuity, for example, in Action Comics 10, you see Superman with the Justice League and presumably still does not fly. But in the comicbook of the Justice League, Superman flies. How do you explain that?

cant remember. Either 4 or 7.

#37 Posted by crestfallen (298 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@crestfallen said:

@sethysquare said:

and he saw a bunch of superman tshirts all in various colors so he bought/used them.

Sorry, but in which issue did that really happened?

For me, there is a problem of continuity, for example, in Action Comics 10, you see Superman with the Justice League and presumably still does not fly. But in the comicbook of the Justice League, Superman flies. How do you explain that?

cant remember. Either 4 or 7.

Sorry again, but that never happened.

#38 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@crestfallen: pretty sure I saw it happen. Must've been in 2 or 3 then. He saw a bunch of tshirts with an 'S' shield.

#39 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@crestfallen said:

@sethysquare said:

@crestfallen said:

@sethysquare said:

and he saw a bunch of superman tshirts all in various colors so he bought/used them.

Sorry, but in which issue did that really happened?

For me, there is a problem of continuity, for example, in Action Comics 10, you see Superman with the Justice League and presumably still does not fly. But in the comicbook of the Justice League, Superman flies. How do you explain that?

cant remember. Either 4 or 7.

Sorry again, but that never happened.

Check out this month's issue. It gave a nod to that page we saw. turns out

He ordered to make 50 of the tshirts but the store owner did not have enough blue so he made the rest in white and red.

#40 Posted by crestfallen (298 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: Ok, that's new stuff! :)

Now it would be interesting to understand, why he choose to wear a costume or another. Next issue maybe?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.