I hate how people are already saying MOS is gonna fail

  • 54 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

The movie isnt going to come out until June and people are already saying its going to suck and fail at the box office. I was expecting a little bit more hope from comic book fans. I want this movie to suceed so badly, but its starting to feel like im in the minority on this in the comic book community

#2 Edited by The Stegman (25521 posts) - - Show Bio

What's more annoying are people who are saying  that the JL movie is gonna fail because It's "rushed"
#3 Posted by Icarusflies (12508 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic fans literally complain about EVERY comic movie before it came out.

The amount of TDKR IS GOING TO SUUUUCKK comments before TDKR came out and got overwhelmingly positive reviews was astronomical.

Same with the new Spidey (though I'm personally not a fan there)

And Green Lantern. Though they were right with that one.

Moderator
#4 Posted by Mr_Ingenuity (7723 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

Comic fans literally complain about EVERY comic movie before it came out.

The amount of TDKR IS GOING TO SUUUUCKK comments before TDKR came out and got overwhelmingly positive reviews was astronomical.

Same with the new Spidey (though I'm personally not a fan there)

And Green Lantern. Though they were right with that one.

This.

& to add on to the last part, the Ghost Rider series.

#5 Edited by The_Tree (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

That's the internet for you, pessimistic and always willing to pass judgement before they've seen the finished product.

I'd just say don't worry about it, most naysayers will be shut up once the film comes out with great reviews.

Also, the most recent Man of Steel trailer on YouTube has 89,037 likes and 4,561 dislikes. So it's safe to say that a majority of people are actually looking forward to it.

#6 Edited by War07 (135 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: Plus it got more views than Ironman 3!

#7 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

So far, it does look like the dark superman is attracting some attention but the movie costume unfortunately looks like that of a ballet dancer so my prediction is flop for the Superman movie bec. of the dumb costume. I also predicted flop for the Green Lantern movie based on the dumb rubber tire christmas tree costume. The movie Superman costume texture looks like it came from Martha Kent's sofa.

#8 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

Well with the track record Superman movies have since Superman 3... its a pretty good assumption that its going to fail.

I am one of those people who thinks it will fail, but I'll go see it to give it a chance.

#9 Posted by War Killer (20375 posts) - - Show Bio
@Icarusflies said:

Comic fans literally complain about EVERY comic movie before it came out.

The amount of TDKR IS GOING TO SUUUUCKK comments before TDKR came out and got overwhelmingly positive reviews was astronomical.

Same with the new Spidey (though I'm personally not a fan there)

And Green Lantern. Though they were right with that one.

I think the worst I've seen fans go crazy hate was right before X-Men: First Class came out; fans were hating on that movie left and right before it even hit theaters.
 
Comic book fans, I believe, are the hardest fans to please (myself included) as we always find something wrong in the movies. Even when the movie is amazing there's always one fan who finds something to hate about. I mean just look at Avengers, there are still people who make up crappy reasons to justify why they "hate" the movie. Personally I just think they say they hate certain movies simply to be "different" among fans who a majority of loved the film.
 
There are just some fans who you simply cannot please. Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, The Wolverine, and Thor: The Dark World all come out this coming year and there will be a group of fans who will find something wrong in every single one of those movies. It's sad, but true.
#10 Posted by toptom (1252 posts) - - Show Bio

MOS won't suck: here we have a great character and a great director put together

#11 Posted by longbowhunter (7510 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to spend a lot of time on CBM's site. The shear amount to arguing and negativity made me search out a new place to hang my hat. That's literally how I found Comic Vine.

#12 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

So far, it does look like the dark superman is attracting some attention but the movie costume unfortunately looks like that of a ballet dancer so my prediction is flop for the Superman movie bec. of the dumb costume. I also predicted flop for the Green Lantern movie based on the dumb rubber tire christmas tree costume. The movie Superman costume texture looks like it came from Martha Kent's sofa.

You dont have much credibility when you complained about the movie because of the costume. That is the most shallow way of predicting how good a movie is and how much it'll sell.

Just for your info, FF, Spiderman both wore the same type of costume. Just because you love the underwear on the outside look, not everybody is going to love it.

The costume doesn't make a hero, its the story and the characterisation that does. From what we've seen it looks like man of steel is going to be the best superman movie ever, but if you're going to be so ignorant as to judge a movie based on the costume, then go watch shows like devil wears prada or something. You'll love the costumes.

#13 Edited by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

Comic fans literally complain about EVERY comic movie before it came out.

The amount of TDKR IS GOING TO SUUUUCKK comments before TDKR came out and got overwhelmingly positive reviews was astronomical.

Same with the new Spidey (though I'm personally not a fan there)

And Green Lantern. Though they were right with that one.

@The_Tree said:

That's the internet for you, pessimistic and always willing to pass judgement before they've seen the finished product.

I'd just say don't worry about it, most naysayers will be shut up once the film comes out with great reviews.

Also, the most recent Man of Steel trailer on YouTube has 89,037 likes and 4,561 dislikes. So it's safe to say that a majority of people are actually looking forward to it.

I agree. Comic fans complain about everything. Some even said the movie is going to be a flop because of the costume (which totally looks better than underwear on the outside look).

Lame.

#14 Edited by Squalleon (4711 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

You dont have much credibility when you complained about the movie because of the costume. That is the most shallow way of predicting how good a movie is and how much it'll sell.

Just for your info, FF, Spiderman both wore the same type of costume. Just because you love the underwear on the outside look, not everybody is going to love it.

The costume doesn't make a hero, its the story and the characterisation that does. From what we've seen it looks like man of steel is going to be the best superman movie ever, but if you're going to be so ignorant as to judge a movie based on the costume, then go watch shows like devil wears prada or something. You'll love the costumes.

HAHA LOL

You just can't satisfy some people no matter what you do!

Especially Comicbook fans:

WE WANT A NEW SUPERMAN COSTUME WITHOUT THE BRIEFS

"here take it"

WHAT IS THIS WHERE ARE THE BRIEFS

"but you just said you....."

FAIL

#15 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

@sethysquare said:

You dont have much credibility when you complained about the movie because of the costume. That is the most shallow way of predicting how good a movie is and how much it'll sell.

Just for your info, FF, Spiderman both wore the same type of costume. Just because you love the underwear on the outside look, not everybody is going to love it.

The costume doesn't make a hero, its the story and the characterisation that does. From what we've seen it looks like man of steel is going to be the best superman movie ever, but if you're going to be so ignorant as to judge a movie based on the costume, then go watch shows like devil wears prada or something. You'll love the costumes.

HAHA LOL

You just can't satisfy some people no matter what you do!

Especially Comicbook fans:

WE WANT A NEW SUPERMAN COSTUME WITHOUT THE BRIEFS

"here take it"

WHAT IS THIS WHERE ARE THE BRIEFS

"but you just said you....."

FAIL

lol indeed

#16 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

I stopped caring about what other fans think about movies along long time ago. I dont even care if it fails at the box office, if I like it I like it. Lots of people hated the last Superman movie but I've still seen it a dozen times or more and usually end up watching it whenever it comes on. People say the Avengers is the greatest comicbook movie ever, or Iron Man is, but personally I think Road to Perdition is. The first Hulk movie was pretty cool I thought but wasnt well received, didnt stop Hollywood from making another (most would say better). Even if Superman flops it isnt going to stop a sequel or another remake. So I guess my point is who cares, let people use their superhuman precog and proclaim the Man of Steel a flop. Whether it is or isnt wont really change anything other then the thickening or un-thickening of someone elses wallet.

#17 Posted by TheCannon (19219 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't heard anyone say it'll suck/bomb. I think it will do pretty well at the box office. And I really can't say how well the movie itself will be since I've only seen one trailer.

@Icarusflies said:

Comic fans literally complain about EVERY comic movie before it came out.

The amount of TDKR IS GOING TO SUUUUCKK comments before TDKR came out and got overwhelmingly positive reviews was astronomical.

Same with the new Spidey (though I'm personally not a fan there)

And Green Lantern. Though they were right with that one.

They were right about the new Spider-Man. That movie sucked.

@The Stegman said:

What's more annoying are people who are saying that the JL movie is gonna fail because It's "rushed"

How is the truth annoying?

#18 Posted by TDK_1997 (15084 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not one of those guys.

#19 Edited by TheCowman (461 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm looking forward to it, though I'm still a bit skeptical. While good, the trailer seemed a bit heavy-handed. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but Superman Returns went so heavy with the martyr themes that I'm wary of MoS doing the same thing.

Also, with Nolan being connected I'm holding my breath to see how they pull off the super-hero action. While I really liked his Batman movies, the action wasn't always the best aspect of those films. Not to mention that they stayed as far away from "super-hero movie" as a flick about a guy dressed as a bat possibly could.

Though I AM excited that it seems we'll get some actual super-powered antagonists in this one. I'd say my overall attitude toward 'Man of Steel' would be 'cautiously optimistic' or simply a neutral wait-and-see.

Oh, and the people above are quite correct. Comic book fans will ALWAYS find something to complain about. Myself included. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that. After all, if it's a medium you're passionate about, you're gonna have strong opinions about it. You just have to make sure you don't go overboard. For instance, I could sit here and nitpick the Batman movies forever, but at the end of the day I'll always admit that they're great movies.

#20 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

@The Stegman said:

What's more annoying are people who are saying that the JL movie is gonna fail because It's "rushed"

How is the truth annoying?

Define "rushed"

2 and a half years to cast, film and do after effects is called "rushed" to you?

Then how long do they need? 5 years or 10 years to make a movie.

#21 Posted by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

I haven't heard anyone say it'll suck/bomb. I think it will do pretty well at the box office. And I really can't say how well the movie itself will be since I've only seen one trailer.

Have you seen the second trailer (the longer one)? :D

People went crazy with that one!

#22 Posted by TheCannon (19219 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@TheCannon said:

@The Stegman said:

What's more annoying are people who are saying that the JL movie is gonna fail because It's "rushed"

How is the truth annoying?

Define "rushed"

2 and a half years to cast, film and do after effects is called "rushed" to you?

Then how long do they need? 5 years or 10 years to make a movie.

It took Marvel 7 years to make the Avengers after it was officially announced, not counting anything before that. It's taken them 7 years to reboot Superman, and 19 years (or 18, I forget) to bring Superman back on screen after the Quest for Peace. Batman Begins took 8 years. They had a GL movie in production since 1986, and with that many years, look at what they made. They still haven't brought Wonder Woman, Flash, or Aquaman to the big screen with decades of production.

It's just going to be rushed to compete with the Avengers instead of taking the time to make it how awesome it could be.

#23 Posted by TheCannon (19219 posts) - - Show Bio

@JLDoom said:

@TheCannon said:

I haven't heard anyone say it'll suck/bomb. I think it will do pretty well at the box office. And I really can't say how well the movie itself will be since I've only seen one trailer.

Have you seen the second trailer (the longer one)? :D

People went crazy with that one!

I didn't see the short one that was more of a teaser. I saw the 2 and a half minute one, and it was just meh to me.

#24 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

mos will trump all other superhero movies coming out.

#25 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone who thinks this is gonna bomb (money-wise) is an idiot. Superman Returns is hardly the most loved superhero movie of all time, yet it was a box office success. The only reason it's considered a failure is because WB expected it to make enough money to pay for those 19 years of people not knowing what the hell to do with Superman.

Quality-wise, I remain optimistic. Most people loved the second trailer, and we're already getting "I'm not a Superman fan but I'm looking forward to this movie" comments, which is great, same stuff we got with Batman Begins (except it was Batman, not Superman, obviously).

#26 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Acrobats still wear tights or leggings so they look ok on the acrobatic Spider Man but they look silly on Superman. My guess for the movie pictures is maybe Superman got arrested by the military for wearing indecent tights or leggings in public ?

#27 Posted by joshmightbe (25021 posts) - - Show Bio

Just to stand out I'm gonna say this movie is gonna dethrone Avatar cause he's Superman b**ches

#28 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

MOS will be awesome.

#29 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

My suggestion for Warner Brothers is to go with the kryptonian armor look for Superman to cash in on the success of Iron Man. Kryptonian armor needs to look like metal armor rather than the old spandex. Spandex looking armors will also look silly.

#30 Posted by joshmightbe (25021 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells: They don't need to cash in on anyone, they already have the most recognizable Super hero on Earth

#31 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

The successful formula for Warner Brothers so far is to do vertigo versions of the super heroes for the movies to avoid the old silly stuff. Superman is well known but people like to tell jokes of silly Superman. For a superman movie, just draw from the original inspiration which was Philip Wylie's Gladiator which contained adult themes.

#32 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

My suggestion for Warner Brothers is to go with the kryptonian armor look for Superman to cash in on the success of Iron Man. Kryptonian armor needs to look like metal armor rather than the old spandex. Spandex looking armors will also look silly.

no

#33 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

@sethysquare said:

@TheCannon said:

@The Stegman said:

What's more annoying are people who are saying that the JL movie is gonna fail because It's "rushed"

How is the truth annoying?

Define "rushed"

2 and a half years to cast, film and do after effects is called "rushed" to you?

Then how long do they need? 5 years or 10 years to make a movie.

It took Marvel 7 years to make the Avengers after it was officially announced, not counting anything before that. It's taken them 7 years to reboot Superman, and 19 years (or 18, I forget) to bring Superman back on screen after the Quest for Peace. Batman Begins took 8 years. They had a GL movie in production since 1986, and with that many years, look at what they made. They still haven't brought Wonder Woman, Flash, or Aquaman to the big screen with decades of production.

It's just going to be rushed to compete with the Avengers instead of taking the time to make it how awesome it could be.

Wrong. It took Marvel 1 to 2 year to finish filming Avengers.

It took them 19 years to bring Superman back because there wasn't a right script and he was put on hold in favour of Batman.

Guess what it took Fox less than 2 years to complete X-men 1. It took sony 2 years to produce Spiderman and they were both massively popular. Do you even know what you're talking about?

It took DC 1 year to write the script and then another 2 years for casting directing and etc for Justice League. That is more than enough.

NO FU3KING MOVIE NEEDS 7 YEARS TO GET IT READY. MARVEL JUST WANTED TO WAIT FOR THE RIGHT SCRIPT AND TIME TO RELEASE IT. PLUS THEY WANT TO PRODUCE THEIR SOLO MOVIES FIRST BECAUSE NOBODY KNOWS WHO IRONMAN, CAPTAIN AMERICA AND THOR ARE. ITS THE MOVIE THAT MADE THEM POPULAR. BUT EVERYONE IN THE WORLD KNOWS SUPERMAN BATMAN AND WONDER WOMAN. YOU WOULD BE A FOOL TO NOT KNOW THE 3 MOST ICONIC CHARACTERS OF ALL TIME.

#34 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34336 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

That's the internet for you, pessimistic and always willing to pass judgement before they've seen the finished product.

I'd just say don't worry about it, most naysayers will be shut up once the film comes out with great reviews.

Also, the most recent Man of Steel trailer on YouTube has 89,037 likes and 4,561 dislikes. So it's safe to say that a majority of people are actually looking forward to it.

I remember just before the New 52 started pepole where loosing there minds because Nightwing wasn't smiling in his cover, everybody was like"OMG they have made Dick evil and GRIMDARK, ahhhhhhhhhh"

#35 Posted by TheCannon (19219 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@TheCannon said:

@sethysquare said:

@TheCannon said:

@The Stegman said:

What's more annoying are people who are saying that the JL movie is gonna fail because It's "rushed"

How is the truth annoying?

Define "rushed"

2 and a half years to cast, film and do after effects is called "rushed" to you?

Then how long do they need? 5 years or 10 years to make a movie.

It took Marvel 7 years to make the Avengers after it was officially announced, not counting anything before that. It's taken them 7 years to reboot Superman, and 19 years (or 18, I forget) to bring Superman back on screen after the Quest for Peace. Batman Begins took 8 years. They had a GL movie in production since 1986, and with that many years, look at what they made. They still haven't brought Wonder Woman, Flash, or Aquaman to the big screen with decades of production.

It's just going to be rushed to compete with the Avengers instead of taking the time to make it how awesome it could be.

Wrong. It took Marvel 1 to 2 year to finish filming Avengers.

It took them 19 years to bring Superman back because there wasn't a right script and he was put on hold in favour of Batman.

Guess what it took Fox less than 2 years to complete X-men 1. It took sony 2 years to produce Spiderman and they were both massively popular. Do you even know what you're talking about?

It took DC 1 year to write the script and then another 2 years for casting directing and etc for Justice League. That is more than enough.

NO FU3KING MOVIE NEEDS 7 YEARS TO GET IT READY. MARVEL JUST WANTED TO WAIT FOR THE RIGHT SCRIPT AND TIME TO RELEASE IT. PLUS THEY WANT TO PRODUCE THEIR SOLO MOVIES FIRST BECAUSE NOBODY KNOWS WHO IRONMAN, CAPTAIN AMERICA AND THOR ARE. ITS THE MOVIE THAT MADE THEM POPULAR. BUT EVERYONE IN THE WORLD KNOWS SUPERMAN BATMAN AND WONDER WOMAN. YOU WOULD BE A FOOL TO NOT KNOW THE 3 MOST ICONIC CHARACTERS OF ALL TIME.

No, The Avengers started production in 2005.

X-men took 11 years. It started production in 89, and was released in 2000. Spider-man started production in 84 (give or take a year).

And DC also needs solo movies first. Yes, people know who Supes, Bats, and WW are. But how many people who don't follow comics know WW's origin? Maybe 1 out of 10.

#36 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter said:

I used to spend a lot of time on CBM's site. The shear amount to arguing and negativity made me search out a new place to hang my hat. That's literally how I found Comic Vine.

That site is troll heaven,shame cause when it comes to news they're the best.

#37 Posted by longbowhunter (7510 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Yes this is true.

#38 Posted by Skewer (325 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think it will suck since we hadn't seen the movie yet. I however agree that justice league movie will suck. If you look at the interviews with the producers of the justice league animated series, you'll here them say that it was the most difficult show they'd ever produced. They had years and many episodes and years to prepare, so what are the people at Warner bros going to achieve in two to three years of film shooting with two to three hours of film and no preparation.

#39 Posted by Hanson724 (565 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells: what do you want it made of? Spandex? Green Lantern wasn't the best movie but I thought his costume was cool. I'm in the camp of hoping this will be great. If not than it'll probably the last Supes movie for a long time. Which would be fine if they keep making lame movies but man I hop they get this right.

#40 Posted by Black_Claw (3042 posts) - - Show Bio

Might I ask, who cares about what these nitpicky losers think? As long as you are looking forward to it that's all that matters.

#41 Posted by sinestro_GL (3284 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure we're all waiting for this picture to pop up in this thread

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

#42 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

What's more annoying are people who are saying that the JL movie is gonna fail because It's "rushed"

This

#43 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

@sethysquare said:

@TheCannon said:

@The Stegman said:

What's more annoying are people who are saying that the JL movie is gonna fail because It's "rushed"

How is the truth annoying?

Define "rushed"

2 and a half years to cast, film and do after effects is called "rushed" to you?

Then how long do they need? 5 years or 10 years to make a movie.

It took Marvel 7 years to make the Avengers after it was officially announced, not counting anything before that. It's taken them 7 years to reboot Superman, and 19 years (or 18, I forget) to bring Superman back on screen after the Quest for Peace. Batman Begins took 8 years. They had a GL movie in production since 1986, and with that many years, look at what they made. They still haven't brought Wonder Woman, Flash, or Aquaman to the big screen with decades of production.

It's just going to be rushed to compete with the Avengers instead of taking the time to make it how awesome it could be.

You don't get how movies are made...

Being in production just means people in the studio are talking about it. It doesn't mean they are actually doing productive things for a movie. X-men First Class was only in production for 1.5 years. The Dark Knight was only in prioduction for two. In fact, ovies that are in production for more than 3 years are in development hell and are unlikely to ever be made.

Do you want to know the history of Batman Begins that you thought took 8 years?

Originally it was going to be Darren Aronofsky and Frank Miller making the film. They were going to adapt Batman Year One, but Batman was going to be poor, drive a cadillac, kill people, and be crazy. Alfred was going to be a cat. I **** you not. After being in production for 6 years, the project was scrapped. Chris Nolan came in and made his movie in two years because he knew it would make money that he could use to make Inception, a movie he came up with in High School.

#44 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol at the people who think the Justice League movie is being "rushed". Also I can guarantee Avengers was NOT in production for 7 years. Sure, they may say that, but that basically means that they had part of a script sitting on shelf for 5 years then picked it up in 2010.

#45 Posted by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

Comic fans literally complain about EVERY comic movie before it came out.

The amount of TDKR IS GOING TO SUUUUCKK comments before TDKR came out and got overwhelmingly positive reviews was astronomical.

Same with the new Spidey (though I'm personally not a fan there)

And Green Lantern. Though they were right with that one.

Its funny how many people complained about transformers and ROTF is number 32 for all time grossing films and DotM is number 5. Thats right DotM beat TDKR <.<

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films#Highest-grossing_films

#46 Posted by spetsnaz_gru (235 posts) - - Show Bio

unfortunately, the biggest way mos is potentially gonna fail is by pathetic propaganda by anti superman people and smallville purist fanboys.

#47 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

If there are lots of explosions like Transformers, maybe the next Superman movie will make lots of money. If Superman looks like Optimus Prime instead of like an illegal ballet dancer, maybe the next Superman movie will make tons of money.

#48 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to bite my tongue in presence of some whom I talk with comics regularly when they speak of MoS already doomed to failure. You're not alone...

#49 Posted by spetsnaz_gru (235 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

If there are lots of explosions like Transformers, maybe the next Superman movie will make lots of money. If Superman looks like Optimus Prime instead of like an illegal ballet dancer, maybe the next Superman movie will make tons of money.

and if lois got more sexually objectified rather than career empowered, mos might be the highest grossing film of all time?

#50 Posted by Mercy_ (92997 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do you care what other people think/say about it? If you like it, you like it. Shouldn't matter what anybody else thinks or says about it. Especially considering it hasn't even come out yet.

Moderator

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.