Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

I Calculated How Strong Superman Is (new 52)

• 82 results
    Naamah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@nightwing_1234: Awesome job! This is why it cracks me up when people think Hulk or Thor... DC characters are OP compared to Marvel it's that simple. Hulk has a base of 90 Tons... And Thor has never shown to be as strong, fast, or durable as Superman period. So in order to judge the matches fairly I always just assume that the power levels become balanced for a crossover fight. If they were equal in physical terms then Thor would have the upper hand. However they are not. Blame the brands, the writers, the editors, what have you. Extra abilities cannot make up for such a drastic difference in physical prowess. And it is a hard pill to swallow for the comic fans who can do math is all... Superman is a freak of nature.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
    ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Nice Job .

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOme one does his and a few issues later the power level changes again haha.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All this math is making my head hurt. Cool stuff though.

AgentofChaos1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This math sucks... Like it is incredibly bad.. I can do 50 reps with 40 pound dumbell that doesnt mean i can lift 50*40=2000pounds....

Avatar image for thenaughtytitan
    TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uhm... okay?

TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59  Edited By Chimeroid
    TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid: Noice, didn't even notice I was getting that high. This will be 4446!

BenTheNerd16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ryubh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Impressive.

Drocta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lord, this is sad.

Avatar image for mercinwithamouth
    MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
    termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

lol

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
    ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no, Superman needed help moving brainiac's ship that was the size of Jupiter or some shit.

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itouchedtheboat: Martian Man hunter volunteered to help, also the ship was moving at over 30,000 mph

ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itouchedtheboat: Martian Man hunter volunteered to help, also the ship was moving at over 30,000 mph

it's still irrelevant since Superman should've been moving that easily if he's supposed to be able to bench press the Solar System (which includes the Sun which is at least 10xJupiter's size), yet he looked like he was struggling. That's why you cant do real life math calculations with comics because there are always inconsistencies.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itouchedtheboat: False. The density of said object, combined with the fact that the thing itself was moving at over 36,000 mph towards Earth is relevant. Superman and MM pushing against it without going through suggests it was extremely dense.

ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kingaz123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By kingaz123

What different "bench" and "lift"?

Superman bench the earth (exactly the machine as same force as earth weight) - why did you caculate he bench the solar system? I don't understand.

This mean If I can lift one brick for five days and I can bench the weight of entire my house?

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingaz123: Superman benching weight equivalent to that of Earth dictates that he can easily bench the weight of all of planets in our solar system combined.

The Epley Formula, used to determine someone's "One Max Rep" tells us this. There are variables that make this a low-ball though. Such as Superman doing this feat for 5 days straight without sunlight, meaning he performed a massive amount of reps while weakened. This can offset the accuracy of the equation due to the high number. Finally, there is the fact that he is Kryptonian. The equation is for humans, not for beings with immeasurable stamina and endurance.

Here is the equation: (weight x reps x .033) + weight

Superman lifted over 6.583e+21 US tons. I estimate 250,000 reps (~1.728 sec/rep)

This is 6.583e+21 x 250,000 x .033 + 6.583e+21

We get 1.086e+29 lbs. Over 108,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (octillion) pounds, or 54,300,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (septillion) tons.

The weight of all the planets in our solar system combined is over 2.94e+24 US tons. Almost 5% of his lowballed "One Rep Max".

kingaz123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By kingaz123

@mercinwithamouth said:

@kingaz123: Superman benching weight equivalent to that of Earth dictates that he can easily bench the weight of all of planets in our solar system combined.

The Epley Formula, used to determine someone's "One Max Rep" tells us this. There are variables that make this a low-ball though. Such as Superman doing this feat for 5 days straight without sunlight, meaning he performed a massive amount of reps while weakened. This can offset the accuracy of the equation due to the high number. Finally, there is the fact that he is Kryptonian. The equation is for humans, not for beings with immeasurable stamina and endurance.

Here is the equation: (weight x reps x .033) + weight

Superman lifted over 6.583e+21 US tons. I estimate 250,000 reps (~1.728 sec/rep)

This is 6.583e+21 x 250,000 x .033 + 6.583e+21

We get 1.086e+29 lbs. Over 108,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (octillion) pounds, or 54,300,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (septillion) tons.

The weight of all the planets in our solar system combined is over 2.94e+24 US tons. Almost 5% of his lowballed "One Rep Max".

Sorry but I am not american or english, so my english is not perfect. I don't know:

1. What is the word "rep" mean?

2. Does this formula only applies true for people who are weak? (I mean "weak" = below their average ability)

3. What/ which/ who the comic that I can found that feat of Superman and that fomula? (Sorry If I bad grammar, I not stupid but my god I forget how to use exactly the word "Which" or "what" or "who" to ask the name of comic....I know "who" use for person / being but for thing we use the word "what" or "who" or "which" ?)

I still read superman comic with Google Translate and Dictionary because of my "english" . In reality, I am Dragon Ball Z fan and I think Goku is the best. But I really, really want to read about Superman comic because some people told me: "If you read comic about superman, you will feel him stronger than Goku, even goku in Dragon Ball Super do universe feats! You will have to think again." It is so strange, so I want to read superman book to know him. Everyone if you can, please help me about reading superman book. Thanks

Avatar image for deactivated-60e0c61aba21e
    deactivated-60e0c61aba21e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Problem is these kind of feats won't help in battle boards cuz in battles what matters is striking power which requires much more force than bench pressing

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By MercinWithAMouth

@mowjack: Striking force is logically much greater than lifting strength. GSP is capable of punching with nearly 3,000 lbs of force but can't bench anything close to that. While lifting strength and striking power aren't the same thing, they do have a correlation.

@kingaz123:

1. "Rep" means repetition. If I were to bench a bar up and down one time, that's one "rep".

2. Yes. You could google the formula itself. There's a number of formulas that are used to calculated one's "one max rep".

3. Superman #13 of the New 52 continuity. The Epley Formula is just an equation that, using certain variables, is used to determine what someone can bench one time in a set, not more.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fan calculations useless as always

WF_Mxyzptlk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously you can't use reps to calculate ORM when we're dealing with 5 days of nonstop reps.

LDM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fan calculations useless as always

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is some Olympic level mental Gymnastics

hulksmash134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemoreposter: Too bad you did the maths wrong. Benching 100 lb 20 times would mean you can bench 100lb×20×0.0333+100lb = 166.6 lb once. Sorry it’s not just “multiply the weight by the reps” there’s way more to it than that. This is what happens when you try to act smart and debunk something and end up debunkin nothing at all. Based on what you’ve said you can bench 166.6 lb once no problem.

jimohkolawol10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great calculation

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.