how strong will NEW supes be?

• 51 results
#1 Posted by Z3RO180 (6422 posts) - - Show Bio

Well as the title says how strong do you think he will be. Personaly i would like him to be as strong as super boy prime but only to the degry on being able to beat two super men and not being able to punch through time or juggeling planets.Also how strong do you think his other powers will be.

#2 Posted by ValendianKnight (297 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm hoping he gets about as strong as he was in All Star, but slowly. SBP-like power would make him too powerful.

#3 Posted by Billy Batson (57903 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope his power level would be over 9,000.
BB

#4 Posted by Jake Fury (18315 posts) - - Show Bio

Stronger than a speeding bullet? Wait, that doesn't sound right.... 
Strong enough to leap tall buildings in a single bound? That's not it..... 
#5 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

I think/hope he's a little stronger than 'regular Superman', simply because i think this Superman won't hold back as much.

#6 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope he's less powerful but more aggressive with his powers. I want to see him cutting loose because he has to.

#7 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9562 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aiden Cross said:

I think/hope he's a little stronger than 'regular Superman', simply because i think this Superman won't hold back as much.

And I also want him to utilize a recognizable fighting style. Not like Batman or anything, but it would be cool if he boxed opponents...........or pulled a Stone Cold Stunner lol

#8 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Well if anything we definitely see that Big Blue is to his levels/personality of his Golden Age incarnation here, so he's already good and powerful to begin with. But I'm thinking that thy might try to do like how writers did in the 50s/60s and make him more and more powerful to his Silver Age/All-Star power levels. Bit by bit anyway without going overboard I would imagine.

#9 Posted by tbone1225 (234 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I relate to Morrison's Superman the best, and he is not nearly as powerful. Sure, we see a post-death Superman in Swamp Thing #1, and he seems all-powerful again, but my ability to relate to Superman requires him to have weakness. And I don't mean kryptonite.

#10 Posted by Z3RO180 (6422 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: Jesus that would be one short but painfull stone cold stunner :)

#11 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with fodigg, less power more aggressive. John Byrne levels or round about.

#12 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9562 posts) - - Show Bio

@tbone1225:

So I guess you hate Thor, Silver Surfer, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter etc.?

Right?

@Z3RO180 said:

@buttersdaman000: Jesus that would be one short but painfull stone cold stunner :)

But think of awesome it would be if Superman didnt just speedblitz, ram, right hook, and sledgehammer his opponents.

If Superman threw some jabs, duck and weaved, countered, and wrestled his opponents he would be soooooo badass!

#13 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9562 posts) - - Show Bio

@azza04:

I think John Bryne levels are too weak. As far as I know, nobody else is getting weakened so why do it to Superman?

#14 Posted by Z3RO180 (6422 posts) - - Show Bio

@tbone1225:so the death of superman actually happend in the new dcu???

@buttersdaman000: it would be cool if supes did box/wreasle his oponent to win the fight,

#15 Posted by MrDirector786 (43486 posts) - - Show Bio

@tbone1225 said:

Honestly, I relate to Morrison's Superman the best, and he is not nearly as powerful. Sure, we see a post-death Superman in Swamp Thing #1, and he seems all-powerful again, but my ability to relate to Superman requires him to have weakness. And I don't mean kryptonite.

Being relatable or realistic doesn't always make a character or story better at all.

#16 Posted by Hemen (42 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he will have silver age powers in the present. Morrison said the action comics superman is the all star Superman just in his past. And All star Superman had silver age powers and were silver superman like. "

Have you read the original Superman stories in the golden age, have you read the silver age stories? Have you read any superman stories at all? (no modern age stories don't count since i only like the golden age and silver age stories)

And if you want to read a bad boy Superman read the new action comics #1." - Grant Morrison http://comics.ign.com/articles/119/1192650p1.html

And here is silver supermans power levels : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP3JFr9lDfY and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxDXh6xK5FI&feature=related

So that action comics Superman is all star Superman inn his past means that all star Superman superman is the present Superman. : D

#17 Posted by The Stegman (23742 posts) - - Show Bio

i actually made a thread saying i hope they don't depower him too much, personally i think superboy prime would be TOO powerful, yet i'd like to see him a bit stronger than the modern superman, maybe like All Star Superman

#18 Posted by tbone1225 (234 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: Hate's a strong word, but I certainly don't read all of their comics. It takes a really good writer to make any of them interesting. And even then it's hard.

@Z3RO180: Read Swamp Thing #1. It's subtle, but it's teased.

@MrDirector786: You're right. There has to be good writing and good story. But if you don't have either of those things you start out at a disadvantage with your readership.

#19 Posted by ntb1124 (949 posts) - - Show Bio

Just give me some consistancy, make him Super!! I agree with most of the All Star Superman comments.

#20 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: The good thing about Superman's power levels is that they are suppose to increase each year as his body absorbs more energy from the sun. So with Superman starting off weaker at like Byrne levels or even below, we can actually see his power increase over time, I think that would be cool.

#21 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9562 posts) - - Show Bio

@tbone1225:

Well what I meant is that nobody ever complains about the reliability and strength of Wonder Woman or Thor. If you really wanna look at it that way (not you specifically) then you should dislike these two even more than Superman. Both are even less "relatable", being gods whose personal life is barely even important compared to Superman's and both are at his level yet have absolutely no weakness. I just find it funny when say people hate on Superman for reasons like these with a Thor picture as their avatar. Theyre just hypocrites and haters.

@azza04:

Oh ok, then thats a great idea

#22 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully as strong as what his peak can do before the revamp. And that would be waaaaay stronger than AS Superman feat-wise.

#23 Posted by tbone1225 (234 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: Neither of those characters are the biggest name in comic book history. I don't have as much of a reason to care about Thor or Wonder Woman. Of course, I loved the Thor film, which portrayed Thor in one of the few ways that actually made me care about him. But seriously, neither Thor or Wonder Woman really have enough clout to get on my radar at the moment. Superman is an enormous part of our culture. Everyone's wearing a Superman shirt. Everyone in the world. As a result, it's our responsibility to make Superman a product that is better than the rest. I think Morrison's Action Comics Superman does that. I don't think that previous installations have.

#24 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

I hope his power level would be over 9,000.
BB

#25 Edited by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hemen: What are you talking about? The new Superman is New Earth Superman not AS.....and AS Superman is no where near SA, he's below Modern.
#26 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

He'll be toned down / weaker than he was. 

#27 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

@azza04: As long as Supes doesn't become the punchingbag again ans Post-Crisis Superman was.

#28 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: I don't mind seeing Supes getting beat up a bit, just not by characters like Batman who he could defeat with both hands tied behind his back and both feet tied together.

#29 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

@azza04: As long as it Mongul or Darkseid or somone with those power level...then OK

#30 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: Yeah, I hope they don't go down that Supergirl crap, that Supergirl punches him out or Wonder Woman.

#31 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23: That too! How the F can a teenage girl K.O a adult male bodybuilder? WTF?

#32 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64 said:

@comicdude23: That too! How the F can a teenage girl K.O a adult male bodybuilder? WTF?

If they do fight in DCnU, I wanna see jerk Superman let loose and beat her ass to a pulp.

#33 Posted by katanalauncher (937 posts) - - Show Bio
@tbone1225 said:

How much a character relate have nothing to do with their power level, Superman is more relateable than Batman.

He grew up in a small town in Kansas, spent most of his youth life on a farm.

His earth parents taught him to treat others with respect and compassion.

When his father died in a heart attack, he decides to start a new life in Metropolis.

It is his compassion and deep connection with humanity that leads him to want to help people, in a way he's more human than most comic characters.

#34 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio
@katanalauncher said:
@tbone1225 said:

How much a character relate have nothing to do with their power level, Superman is more relateable than Batman.

When his father died in a heart attack, he decides to start a new life in Metropolis.

It is his compassion and deep connection with humanity that leads him to want to help people, in a way he's more human than most comic characters.

+9,001 Internets for you.
#35 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12841 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64 said:

cuz that teenage girl has loebforce

#36 Posted by katanalauncher (937 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dracade102 said:
@katanalauncher said:
@tbone1225 said:

+9,001 Internets for you.
:)
#37 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Primmaster64 said:

cuz that teenage girl has loebforce

Loeb is getting old and losing his brain cells.

#38 Posted by Hemen (42 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64 said:

@azza04: As long as Supes doesn't become the punchingbag again ans Post-Crisis Superman was.

Meh, i think the New Superman will have silver age powers. In action comics #1 they say superman has become far stronger than 6 months before, and in Justice League #1 6 months after action comics #1 he has become even much stronger, i think that by the time it has been 5 years (present time) his power has grown to Silver Age.

#39 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure if Silver Age power levels would fit this era.

#40 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hemen said:

@Primmaster64 said:

Meh, i think the New Superman will have silver age powers. In action comics #1 they say superman has become far stronger than 6 months before, and in Justice League #1 6 months after action comics #1 he has become even much stronger, i think that by the time it has been 5 years (present time) his power has grown to Silver Age.

AC #1 and JL #1 take place before New Earth Superman stories like Infinite Crisis...he must be weaker....

#41 Edited by Hemen (42 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23 said:

@Hemen said:

@Primmaster64 said:

AC #1 and JL #1 take place before New Earth Superman stories like Infinite Crisis...he must be weaker....

No, i don't think so. I think that everything that happened to batman and green latern still happens in the new dcnu. But with rebooted characters like Superman i think that most things who happened hasn't happened. And in Swamp Thing #1 it was told that Superman died the year before (one year before present time). And how can Infintive crisis have happened when new earth and the multiverse have already existed, in flashpoint only the Dc universe got rebooted, which means the multiverse existed, which means infintive crisis won't need to happen.

Primmaster64 : I don't care i want Superman to beat every other superhero and i want other superheroes to be slaves compared to Superman. That would be awesome. And it would be even more awesome if he did that if he had silver age powers!

#42 Posted by PowerHerc (82582 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like him to be Silver Age strong.

#43 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hemen said:

@comicdude23 said:

@Hemen said:

@Primmaster64 said:

No, i don't think so. I think that everything that happened to batman and green latern still happens in the new dcnu. But with rebooted characters like Superman i think that most things who happened hasn't happened. And in Swamp Thing #1 it was told that Superman died the year before (one year before present time). And how can Infintive crisis have happened when new earth and the multiverse have already existed, in flashpoint only the Dc universe got rebooted, which means the multiverse existed, which means infintive crisis won't need to happen.

Primmaster64 : I don't care i want Superman to beat every other superhero and i want other superheroes to be slaves compared to Superman. That would be awesome. And it would be even more awesome if he did that if he had silver age powers!

That doesn't make sense, if Blackest Knight is canon, with featured Kal-L, then Infinite Crisis must be canon because that's when Kal-L died. It's not a reboot it's a reVAMP. It must've taken place before because Superman is much younger and AC#1 was his beginning, JL#1 being his first time with the JL.

#44 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

#45 Posted by PowerHerc (82582 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23 said:

@PowerHerc said:

I take it you don't want him to be that strong.

#46 Posted by slick23 (460 posts) - - Show Bio

Less power, more ruthless sounds good..Or more loose. :P

#47 Posted by Trodorne (2583 posts) - - Show Bio
@azza04: which is why I like supes in Action comics right now. its that classic golden age style where he leaps over tall buildings in a single bound, faster than a speeding bullet and more powerful than a locomotive.
#48 Posted by DEGRAAF (7875 posts) - - Show Bio

@Trodorne said:

@azza04: which is why I like supes in Action comics right now. its that classic golden age style where he leaps over tall buildings in a single bound, faster than a speeding bullet and more powerful than a locomotive.

didnt look like he was more powerful than a locomotive lol

#49 Posted by Hemen (42 posts) - - Show Bio
@comicdude23 said:

@Hemen said:

@comicdude23 said:

@Hemen said:

@Primmaster64 said:

That doesn't make sense, if Blackest Knight is canon, with featured Kal-L, then Infinite Crisis must be canon because that's when Kal-L died. It's not a reboot it's a reVAMP. It must've taken place before because Superman is much younger and AC#1 was his beginning, JL#1 being his first time with the JL.

Then Dc will change that and not make Kal-L be om blackest night. With character changing i doubt the evens being the same before flashpoint,  And no, dc has said the this relaunch is a soft reboot, which  means that some character will be rebooted and others not. Superman is one of them that have been rebooted. Silver age Superman for the win!
#50 Posted by Thorion88 (310 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

So you want him to become a walking plot device? Hell to the No for me on that idea, can't stand Silver Age Super-Gary Stu. Only one I like close to that Level is Mr. Majestic but he's closer to Bronze Age Supes overall.

As for Superman's power level John Byrne's Level or on average modern levels is fine. He's still powerful but yet able to get a actual challenge without it having the story seemed forced to give him a fight or whatever.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.