Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18941 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

How sad is it...

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

... That I have been driven away from Superman comics? I stuck through it through the New 52 as best I could.... But it's Truth that breaks me. Oh yeah, it may seem petty but honestly? UNLESS this is somehow reversed and treated as non-canon? I'm done. I... I cannot deal with this. I cannot pay money to read a story that has literally stripped EVERYTHING away from the core essential mythos of Superman. No more secret identity, powers gone, and... It's NOT Superman. This is a street level character that's wearing a Superman t-shirt. If this was the pre-Flashpoint Clark Kent I'd read it... But the New 52 incarnation has yet to, after all this time, impress me enough to where I'd wanna stick with this.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

*Nova emoji*

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'll shed some crocodile tears for u

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is actually the first time I have ever picked up a Superman comic just for the interesting story and for Clark himself. The only other times I have ever gotten anything from Superman was the Unchained and only because Wonder Woman was in a small part. And also Doomed, again only because of Diana.

I am impressed with the writing and I like this direction. Superman seems like he feels free of the burden of having to save people, which is nice to see. And I like seeing the dynamic between him and other heroes now. Fleeing from Jim Gordon, having his girlfriend fly him around and staying up to watch and protect him while he sleeps. Its showing us Superman stripped back. They are probably using this as the opportunity to build him up into the hero he once was, or something even greater.

And if some people still don't like this Superman. well you always have Justice League to fall back on. Kinda.

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zandalf

@smart_dork_dude: You can simply wait untill september when Truth will be over. It isn't much time.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue 42 was amazing. You'd be missing out.

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kenshima15

Your Loss, love N52 Supes

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pay what you love

pirate what you hate

simple

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kenshima15

@vivide: You ooze insane amounts of negativity, and I don't know why.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, I've seen worse. Although I do find his problems with Superman having a sex life before marriage perplexing.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zarius

@saintwildcard said:
    @kenshima15 said:

Eh, I've seen worse. Although I do find his problems with Superman having a sex life before marriage perplexing.

I tend to hate Clark and Diana together because it's a false rebound relationship and the characters are going to hurt when they realize that.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

I tend to hate Clark and Diana together because it's a false rebound relationship and the characters are going to hurt when they realize that.

He never dated Lois in the New 52, and considering what they've gone through, this is nowhere near being a rebound relationship.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't care

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: Dude, did you read today's issue?

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're not alone.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smart_dork_dude: My best advice? Save the money you'd spend on New 52 Supes picking up Post Crisis Superman stories you missed.

That and try out some other stuff. For a Superman fan I'd say Invincible is great. X-O Manowar too.

When the status quo gets back to normal, check in and see if you want to try out N52 Supes again.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Vivide
    he should not have needed to do this to get his point across
    he should not have needed to do this to get his point across

@kenshima15 said:

I just don't want him to waste money on things that he hates, we are fans not mindless consumers.

Also the economy ain't looking that hot, some of that disposable income would be better put elsewhere.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

See ya. this means Marvel/DC wants to change there icons for the new generation.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By dernman

@smart_dork_dude said:

... That I have been driven away from Superman comics? I stuck through it through the New 52 as best I could.... But it's Truth that breaks me. Oh yeah, it may seem petty but honestly? UNLESS this is somehow reversed and treated as non-canon? I'm done. I... I cannot deal with this. I cannot pay money to read a story that has literally stripped EVERYTHING away from the core essential mythos of Superman. No more secret identity, powers gone, and... It's NOT Superman. This is a street level character that's wearing a Superman t-shirt. If this was the pre-Flashpoint Clark Kent I'd read it... But the New 52 incarnation has yet to, after all this time, impress me enough to where I'd wanna stick with this.

This post shows both the smart and the dork in this dude. :p

Seriously though. I know how you feel. I stuck though the dark times of the 52 but I can't do it anymore with Truth and if interviews are to believed many things wont be going back to the way they were before. Things like the secret identity.

I've stopped buying it. I'll keep aware of whats going on through friends who still read but that's mostly it.

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Secret identity thing is kinda here to stay which i like personally. If DC tries to one up One More Day after making a big deal of this reveal, i will not buy any Superman title.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dernman

@deathfalcon182: Clark Kent is too much a part of Superman. Without it he's less of a character. One of the many mistakes that modern comics have been doing is ignoring more and more of the caped/masked side of characters and not enough to the other half.

I've already dropped it because of taking away too much from the character already. Seriouslly if you're going to have a Superman comic then actually write a Superman comic.

Side Note: As someone who loved a married Peter and MJ. The problem with OMD wasn't the regression of the relationship but the execution. At this point I would even take something as poorly executed as OMD to fix the atrocity that is the new Superman.

CairoV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CairoV

Superwimp.

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deathfalcon182

@dernman: if someone's identity is out that doesn't mean that part of the personality no longer exist. Pak and Yang confirmed on a podcast that they love Clark Kent, Pak even said that He's Clark when the guy asked who is he, Superman or Clark Kent. It has worked out for so many characters over the years, it'll work for big blue too. Have faith in writers.

On a side note nothing can jusfify OMD. That deus ex machina bs should never happen to Superman.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By z3ro180
    SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

@saintwildcard: nope any good ?

I thought so 9/10.really strong follow up to a solid enough start (I thought that 41 was a nice enough start but not Paks' best start to an arc).YOu can also read Review- We Can't See. It's Spoiler lite.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dernman

@deathfalcon182 said:

@dernman: if someone's identity is out that doesn't mean that part of the personality no longer exist. Pak and Yang confirmed on a podcast that they love Clark Kent, Pak even said that He's Clark when the guy asked who is he, Superman or Clark Kent. It has worked out for so many characters over the years, it'll work for big blue too. Have faith in writers.

On a side note nothing can jusfify OMD. That deus ex machina bs should never happen to Superman.

His life as Clark is over so yeah a big part of of Superman is gone. The part that kept him connected, and a part of normal society. His Civilian life. Now hes all Superman all the time.because everyone knows who he is. He can't be that. Clark's life is gone and only Superman's life is left. It's failed many times because each time it has lessened the characters because now their whole life is just the Super in every aspect. Check Ms Marvel. One of the best things about that character is the normalcy of her secret identity and since they've strayed from that the book takes a dip IMO..

I have no faith in the writers because of the colossal garbage that seams to only been increasing as of late. Especially coming from Superman since the new 52. I've spent a long time first defending then later waiting for things to improve but it just keeps getting worse. They've lost my faith from their own actions.

Side Note. Many things could have justified regressing the marriage. It was only how thy did it that was bad and as bad as it was I would take it to fix the ruination of what has come of one of my favorite characters.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

This weeks Action Comics was great

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smart_dork_dude:

Well, if you're done you're done.

You have been saying for quite some time now that you were displeased with the way things were going.

I too am far from pleased. But is Truth the one that's gonna break me?! No. Because at the end of the day we need to compartmentalize what we're reading and how much fun (or not) we're having.

"Truth" has not been fun. None whatsoever. Lot of theories going around, mostly based on the Flare power, but I don't really care about theories. I care about reasons.

And the reason for all of This, is yet to become clear.

If Superman, even after he gets his powers back, is forced to leave Clark Kent behind, it will not affect me. If anything I'll be thrilled to see what DC can do with that move.

It's been a long road, this one of the New 52. And not everyone has been able to find in themselves the mental willingness to go all the way, till the end of the road.

Some have never accept the N52 to begin with. Others liked how it started but recent stories have driven them away.

Change is hard. And in comics we can either choose to embrace them or not.

So do what you got to do. If that means stop reading Superman comics, it's your choice.

I'd like however to remind you of Doomed and the Ulysses arc. Both showed some promise, and both failed to deliver. But they both lead somewhere, despite their seemingly uselessness. Doomed lead to Convergence and Ulysses lead to the Flare power, and possibly what's happening right now although I highly doubt it. And I believe Truth will lead to "someplace" else.

And maybe you should keep this in mind.

Either way, it's your life. You should follow your own path, or the one you feel you should. The Vine will keep on going. And if one day you return to reading Superman comics, there will be always someone to fill in the blanks.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@heavenlydarkdragon: You misunderstand. I am not dropping Superman comics, I am dropping the MAIN Superman title, as long as it is dealing with this story arc, until it is over as I do not enjoy nor agree with the idea of it. The thing is? This is actually the first time I've STOPPED reading the main Superman title. Hell, I stuck it out through GROUNDED and that was... Not the best as you probably know. Had good moments, but the idea of it was just.... Eh.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smart_dork_dude:

Oh. My bad then.

But it's good. A less extreme course of action.

Believe me, sometimes (especially more recently) I've been having trouble enjoying anything that's Superman related.

I'm just enduring because, well... I've hold out so far, so I'm gonna face "Truth" head on and see where it leads. But trust me, if the cause of his power loss is some mental block and the shadow warriors somekind of manifestation of his subconscious, I'll most likely curse the hell out of DC Comics. I also don't want the Flare power to be the source of the problem, because in the end that would be even worst.

Whatever the reason I just hope it's a logical one, or at least one that makes sense even within comic books logic. Like, it happened has a side effect of Superman detonating on Kandor, Batman's bat that carried that small piece of Krypton's sun core matter. Or.., it's Mr Mxyzptlk playing maybe his biggest prank ever. And lets face it, the second option would be by far the best option, because once everything was cleared and solved Mxyzptlk could very simply turn Clark secret identity secret once more.

Either way I'm not that worried. Sure it might all turn to be another disappointment, but it already has an expiration date. September! After September "Truth" will be over.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: just read paktion comic's 42 and I have to say it was spot on

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By Superguy1591

I'll just wait and see how the Superman titles sold by the time Truth is up.

Personally, I've really enjoyed the titles sans the last B/S. I enjoyed Tomasi's issue, I enjoyed 41 and 42 of Action Comic, and Yang's Superman was interesting as well.

Truth has a great creative team to interest me in the long run.

So far, the only criticism I heard was that he isn't PC Superman, and that's a good thing.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

@saintwildcard: just read paktion comic's 42 and I have to say it was spot on

That issue has been getting a lot of love and praise for tackling such a tough issue. What I enjoyed was that Superman less boring speech. more action. I felt like shouting "REBELLION!" When he punched that cop in his face.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.