Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

How Many Times FTL Is Superman?

LimpoyzLoan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LimpoyzLoan

How fast is he traverse speed wise, and how fast is he combat speed wise? This question always confused me. In fights involving him, people always bring up traverse speed, and then someone brings up combat speed, and then an argument happens, but it really confuses me. I know he has nanosecond reaction time, but does that have to do anything with his combat speed?

1. How fast is he, traverse speed wise?

2. How fast is he, combat speed wise?

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, considering he can do all three of the following in this fallacy list:

http://outskirtsbattledome.wikispaces.com/Combat+Speed+Fallacy

I'd say his combat speed, when he wants it to be, is pretty high.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

According to the article that Perezite posted, There is no difference between Traverse Speed and Combat Speed.

Questions like this are sort of moot in the matter that they (the publisher) will never ever state an exact limit or definitive measure to any of Superman's abilities. He will be as fast or as strong as he needs to be to overcome the odds against him.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

According to the article that Perezite posted, There is no difference between Traverse Speed and Combat Speed.

Questions like this are sort of moot in the matter that they (the publisher) will never ever state an exact limit or definitive measure to any of Superman's abilities. He will be as fast or as strong as he needs to be to overcome the odds against him.

And the same can be said for pretty much any superhero ever/

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Press Oblivion

@perezite: Well characters like Captain America are supposed to have some limitations, like he's got the strength of 10 men , or Daredevil or Batman. These are characters that have definitive limits to their abilities and will likely never be seen fending off a meteor shower with their fists or withstanding a death ray that can annihilate a city.

A character like Wolverine should have these limits applied to him but never seems to and that creates an abundance of inconsistencies for the character.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite: Well characters like Captain America are supposed to have some limitations, like he's got the strength of 10 men , or Daredevil or Batman. These are characters that have definitive limits to their abilities and will likely never be seen fending off a meteor shower with their fists or withstanding a death ray that can annihilate a city.

A character like Wolverine should have these limits applied to him but never seems to and that creates an abundance of inconsistencies for the character.

Yeah, but Cap, Daredevil, and Batman have done things outside of their weight range quite a bit like Wolverine too.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LimpoyzLoan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite: No. That doesn't work for Superman. Superman, unlike other speedsters, has an increasing acceleration over time. So let's say his max speed he has gotten to is 10x FTL. He can't do that speed instantly, because he has a constant increasing acceleration as he flies.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite: No. That doesn't work for Superman. Superman, unlike other speedsters, has an increasing acceleration over time. So let's say his max speed he has gotten to is 10x FTL. He can't do that speed instantly, because he has a constant increasing acceleration as he flies.

Where'd you get that bull from?

LimpoyzLoan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

@perezite: It's common fact. Unlike Flash, who can reach his max speed at any time, Superman can only reach his maximum speed as he flies, overtime. If he was, for arguments sake, 10x FTL and that was his top speed which he ONLY reached by accelerating in space, that wouldn't be how fast he can move in an instant. So, as it shows in this scan, for example, he can go mach 50 in an instant.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Perezite

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

@perezite: It's common fact. Unlike Flash, who can reach his max speed at any time, Superman can only reach his maximum speed as he flies, overtime. If he was, for arguments sake, 10x FTL and that was his top speed which he ONLY reached by accelerating in space, that wouldn't be how fast he can move in an instant. So, as it shows in this scan, for example, he can go mach 50 in an instant.

Wasn't he in a black hole at the time and wouldn't that black hole be sapping even the FLASH of his acceleration?

LimpoyzLoan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LimpoyzLoan

@perezite: I doubt that the Flash would have trouble with that. If he can go FTL in an instant, then he could escape the black hole instantly.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite: I doubt that the Flash would have trouble with that. If he can go FTL in an instant, then he could escape the black hole instantly.

With the amount of gravitational force trying to pull him into the event horizon?

LimpoyzLoan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite: Nothing suggests that black holes can capture beings that are MFTL. And in Flash's case, that's like 13 trillion times the speed of light.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they dont make him FTL in the New 52. That would be a bad move.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't they already?

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite said:

@eternal19 said:

Haven't they already?

I havent heard them mentioning anything about it in Action Comics.If they did then it was most likely in the Superman book. And i dont read that book.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@limpoyzloan: 13 trillion times the speed of light?what?where?

LimpoyzLoan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerwoman: Some guy did calculations on the matter. Remember when he carried all those people to safety in under a picosecond? Well some guy did some calculations on it. Here's the scan:

No Caption Provided

LimpoyzLoan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LimpoyzLoan

@limpoyzloan: this not real black hole,though

I don't see anything to suggest that it's different. It never defines itself differently. Now for black holes like the one seen in Treasure Planet, that's different. If that was real life, it would suck the entire ship in in a matter of milliseconds.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@limpoyzloan: who know,this is comics book,and this is not real black hole,so,i dont know why should be think they are is same thing

and this not really,just fans of the calculation,i'm remember superman fans says superman 19 trillion times the speed of light

LimpoyzLoan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerwoman: ...What?

Yes yes yes, Post-Crises 616 Supes beats Goku. Now quit being butt hurt and make a thread that isn't a thinly veiled attempt at trying to hurt your wounded pride at seeing one of your personal sacred cows get beaten and contribute something sir.

LimpoyzLoan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite: I seriously love your comments. I really do. Yes, I think Goku wins. Is that my own personal opinion? Yes. Do I still love Superman? Yes. Was there any point in putting this comment in, as it has NOTHING to do with the topic in the first place?

No Caption Provided

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite: I seriously love your comments. I really do. Yes, I think Goku wins. Is that my own personal opinion? Yes. Do I still love Superman? Yes. Was there any point in putting this comment in, as it has NOTHING to do with the topic in the first place?

No Caption Provided

And why DO you think Goku wins? Besides him being your own personal messiah?

LimpoyzLoan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite: I'm not gonna discuss it here. It's an inappropriate place to discuss it, as it has nothing to do with the topic itself.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#28  Edited By SC  Moderator

Some guy did calculations on the matter. Remember when he carried all those people to safety in under a picosecond? Well some guy did some calculations on it. Here's the scan:

No Caption Provided

Are those calculations meant to be a parody? They omit the 13.57 and the "and" part and focus on the .00001 part.

LimpoyzLoan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: I'm not sure whether they are reliable or not, but people use them all the time in Flash vs Superman races.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#30 SC  Moderator

@limpoyzloan said:

@sc: I'm not sure whether they are reliable or not, but people use them all the time in Flash vs Superman races.

The comic states that the time period was 13.57 and .00001. The guy doing the calculations claiming the comic was wrong because the numbers don't add up, didn't read the comic properly. Hopefully its not the people at CV using those calculations as valid evidence for anything.

LimpoyzLoan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: Yeah, that was probably a bad example lol.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.