How is superman a dick

#1 Posted by moneyshotz (141 posts) - - Show Bio

i hear he can be real indiffernt but at the same time selfless
#2 Posted by Markus_Langbourn (387 posts) - - Show Bio

It's called Geoff Johns' Justice League. Superman is an enormous douche in that. But then again, everyone in the JL is.

#3 Posted by Lvenger (17855 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never heard of Superman being indifferent to things. Never. He's a caring, selfless ideal who always strives to help out those he can. Except in Geoff Johns' Justice League.

#4 Posted by moneyshotz (141 posts) - - Show Bio

so it's not the real serious but why are they so indiffernt and in jla batmen also seems to just not like anyone but there still all over him do they feel sorry for him.
#5 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

@moneyshotz:

Well, Golden Age Superman was a bit of a dick.

#6 Posted by TreeOfLife (42 posts) - - Show Bio

Johns disappoints with JL

#7 Posted by darkman61288 (715 posts) - - Show Bio

@TreeOfLife: the whole new 52 is a disappointment.

#8 Posted by BlackWind (5352 posts) - - Show Bio

Sometimes Superman can come off too strong with that "I'm right and you're wrong" attitude.

Any hero can look like a douche at times when in a bad place, or being written badly.

#9 Posted by Z3RO180 (6250 posts) - - Show Bio

You do realise that he was like that in like three issues at the start of the new 52 JL with in the first 6 issues now he hardly has any lines he has some but not a lot.

#10 Posted by TrueMarvel (194 posts) - - Show Bio

The New 52 superman can be classified as a semi-dick

#11 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

Current Superman isn't, SA Superman was.

#12 Posted by age_of_ultron_Prime2000 (1217 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb said:

Current Superman isn't, SA Superman was.

And a big one

#13 Posted by Tohoma (1365 posts) - - Show Bio

In Injustice gods among us, he seems like a total dick.

#14 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@Tohoma said:

Thats because thats a crappy story

#16 Edited by Tohoma (1365 posts) - - Show Bio

@Stormbox said:

@Tohoma said:

I wouldn't call it crappy but a seemingly more 'already done' type of thing.

#17 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@Tohoma said:

@Stormbox said:

@Tohoma said:

I call it crappy because the series fails at giving a convincing reason as to why superman becomes some kind of dictator

Killing joker? Im ok with that, clark isnt jesus

Taking over the world, pretty much the opposite of what lois would have wanted and definitely not the world these two would have liked to raise their child in? Sorry but nope

#18 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Stormbox said:

@Tohoma said:

@Stormbox said:

@Tohoma said:

I call it crappy because the series fails at giving a convincing reason as to why superman becomes some kind of dictator

Taking over the world, pretty much the opposite of what lois would have wanted and definitely not the world these two would have liked to raise their child in? Sorry but nope

It's using a similar premise to what happened in the Justice Lords episode of the Justice League animated series.

Except something much worse happened instead of Luthor killing Flash.

#19 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Stormbox said:

@Tohoma said:

@Stormbox said:

@Tohoma said:

It's using a similar premise to what happened in the Justice Lords episode of the Justice League animated series.

Ok, that is a good point, but im still not sold on the premise

Honestly, i just dont like how superman is such an easy prey for this kind of stuff, wheres my "flash goes evil and takes over the world" story??

#20 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackWind said:

Sometimes Superman can come off too strong with that "I'm right and you're wrong" attitude.

Any hero can look like a douche at times when in a bad place, or being written badly.

#21 Posted by Tohoma (1365 posts) - - Show Bio

@Stormbox said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Stormbox said:

@Tohoma said:

@Stormbox said:

@Tohoma said:

Ok, that is a good point, but im still not sold on the premise

Honestly, i just dont like how superman is such an easy prey for this kind of stuff, wheres my "flash goes evil and takes over the world" story??

Honestly a premise where the "Flash turns evil and takes over the world" won't sell as well as an evil Superman due to mainstream perceptions of the Flash. Mainstream views Flash as just a guy who can run fast and have no idea of infinite mass punches. In fact the mainstream audiences believe that Superman is almost as fast as the Flash if not faster.

And any other hero superman can easily put down. The reason they make superman fall for evil is because superman is DC's icon and mightiest hero.

#22 Posted by SmashBrawler (5419 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by frozenedge (1121 posts) - - Show Bio

@Stormbox: It probably has to do with how easy it is to write a evil Superman. Let's be serious, a bloodlusted Superman or irrational Superman would be hard to fight for nearly anybody considering he'd have no problem literally burning somebody to death or just punching a hole through somebody. With characters like say Aquaman or Green Arrow, you have to actually think about how they can pull off being evil while using their current abilities.

#24 Posted by moneyshotz (141 posts) - - Show Bio

So you guys only think he is a dick cause he thinks he knows  best that the only reason.
#25 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@Tohoma: @frozenedge: yea i get that, it was mostly a rhetorical question

Still annoys the hell outta me, tho

#26 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3455 posts) - - Show Bio

Lobdell's Superman can be a dick sometimes, as well. But other times is exactly the opposite.

#27 Posted by lightsout (1819 posts) - - Show Bio

I have thrown around the use of "dick" to describe new52 Superman, but I think if I had to describe it more specifically, I would say he's been moody/brooding and sort of apathetic (the Kents dead, less connection to the people, etc), while modern pre-52 Superman always had a big smile on his face, super positive about things, just a lighter/happier tone. And I feel (and I'm sure other people do too) that the former description doesn't fit well with the themes Superman usually represents (hope, ideal acts of humanity, etc etc).

#28 Posted by Charlie_Jade (523 posts) - - Show Bio

#29 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6037 posts) - - Show Bio

He isn't. Nightwing is a Dick though. :)

#30 Posted by Aiden Cross (15557 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

#31 Posted by Samimista (20576 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

LOL! This made my day. xD Really clever. =D

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.