How is he beaten?

#1 Posted by RiddleMeThis (42 posts) - - Show Bio

Riddle me this, Superman has super strength, speed, flight, heat vision AND invunrability, yet always winds up being almost killed or in some scrape or another... 
How is this?  Do all his enemies have krypton?
Sorry, but I don't know a great deal about him, and there might be some fact I didn't know.

#2 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio

It's for plot reasons, if he was never in danger of being beaten it'd be super boring to read.

#3 Posted by RiddleMeThis (42 posts) - - Show Bio

"super-boring" Nice one :D

#4 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone knows his weakness.. The Chinese have mines where hes weakness comes from... Oh wait, that's jade not Kryptonite O_O 

But yeah! I heard you can get kryptonite in any flee market :P

#5 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of his villains, like Zod, Parasite, Doomsday, and Darkseid, are super-powerful too. and would mop the floor with most heroes

#6 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7184 posts) - - Show Bio

he can be hurt without kryptonite hence doomsdays fists
#7 Edited by RiddlingGambit (204 posts) - - Show Bio

Aside from Kryptonite Superman is vulnerable to magic attacks. He also isn't super-smart so sometimes intellectual, rich & powerful villains like Luthor get the better of him. Plus there are just super tough villains like Darkseid n Doomsday who can beat up Superman.

#8 Posted by MrDirector786 (43509 posts) - - Show Bio

Some of it is because of plot. For example, despite his super-hearing and other super senses, he still manages to be caught off guard. With his senses he should easily be able to see an attack coming at him from far away, but the writers forget about it so he gets hit. Or in fights, he could use his hearing and vision powers to predict his opponents every move and his super speed should be able to counteract it but that doesn't happen either. Other times, people use his weaknesses against him. Sometimes, it's just bad writing like when he gets hurt by something no where near as powerful as a nuke even though he has shown to be able to take nukes without a scratch. Then, there are enemies who are just that powerful, such as Darkseid.

#9 Posted by Jodin20723 (79 posts) - - Show Bio

RiddlingGambit  yeah even though he may not be super smart he does have Eidetic memory (the ability to remember anything he wants that he has experienced, read, did etc) this was shown in Final Crisis when he constructed the Miracle Machine from just memory. So this translates to what you can hardly ever beat superman the same way twice.    

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.