How fast can Superman fly on Earth?

#1 Posted by Firestormnuclerman (2097 posts) - - Show Bio

Has it been stated recently how fast he can fly on Earth?

#2 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

He could catch flash one time. And Shazam had to do it. So I'm guessing it must not be over light speed.

#3 Posted by _Obsidian_ (5028 posts) - - Show Bio
zee crusher said:
"He could catch flash one time. And Shazam had to do it. So I'm guessing it must not be over light speed."
That was in the Justice limited series, that's not canon...
#4 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio
Twilight Man said:
"zee crusher said:
"He could catch flash one time. And Shazam had to do it. So I'm guessing it must not be over light speed."
That was in the Justice limited series, that's not canon...
"

No it happen in the comic. Flash couldn't stop running. Superman tried his hardest then Shazam came aorund. Then Shazam continued the chase and found a way. So it does count really.
#5 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

If it was from Justice, I don't think that's canon.

Anyway, Superman can fly as fast as he wants. If he really needed to be somewhere and didn't care about messing up the planet a little bit, he could fly as fast as he goes in space. If you're asking what speed he generally limits himself too...I don't remember.

Moderator
#6 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay then how about the time superman admitted that he always felt as though flash had been holding back when they raced. That was from the same comic I believe but still he admits it. I have a question. How come when superman can't do something or loses a fight its not cannon? When he gets something done and it doesn't even make sense like holding a black hole thats cannon?

#7 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

I never said anything about a cannon. Get out of my pool.

Moderator
#8 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

You said its not cannon. I'm just asking everybody only thinks is cannon when superman does things that make no sense. When he holds a blackhole it makes sense to them.

#9 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

Get back to me when you start making sense.

Moderator
#10 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been making sense. Your just one of the many that likes superman to much so of course I was gonna ask you.

#11 Posted by venom hybrid (2486 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait are you two arguing over who is faster Supes or Flash becuase thats a pretty stupid argument Flash is many times faster than light like when he stopped those 500 hundred blasts of light from that guy and said it was like a jog or something.

#12 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

I already know he's faster. I don't know about buckshot though. He said its not canon when superman couldn't catch flash. He also stated superman could fly at any speeds he wants which isn't true or he wouldnt' struggle so much at getting light speed.

#13 Posted by venom hybrid (2486 posts) - - Show Bio

He couldn't fly at whatever speed he wants becuase that would completley wreck the earth he is around lightspeed in space but he can't go that fast on earth the only reason flash can go a lot faster than light well with wally anyway is becuase wally is like the embodiment of the Speed force

#14 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

zee crusher said:

"I've been making sense. Your just one of the many that likes superman to much so of course I was gonna ask you. "

I'm glad you know so much about me. I mean, if I ever say anything that doesn't put down Superman it must mean I'm madly in love with his spandex.

venom hybrid said:

"

Wait are you two arguing over who is faster Supes or Flash... "

I'm glad you have such a solid grasp of what's going on.

Moderator
#15 Posted by venom hybrid (2486 posts) - - Show Bio
Buckshot said:
"

zee crusher said:

"I've been making sense. Your just one of the many that likes superman to much so of course I was gonna ask you. "

I'm glad you know so much about me. I mean, if I ever say anything that doesn't put down Superman it must mean I'm madly in love with his spandex.

venom hybrid said:

"

Wait are you two arguing over who is faster Supes or Flash... "

I'm glad you have such a solid grasp of what's going on.

"

Oh sorry i didn't wanna say something and be wrong about it your just mad becuase you must be a supes fanboy to think he standsa chance in a race against the Flash
#16 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio
Buckshot said:
"

zee crusher said:

"I've been making sense. Your just one of the many that likes superman to much so of course I was gonna ask you. "

I'm glad you know so much about me. I mean, if I ever say anything that doesn't put down Superman it must mean I'm madly in love with his spandex.

venom hybrid said:

"

Wait are you two arguing over who is faster Supes or Flash... "

I'm glad you have such a solid grasp of what's going on.

"
?????????????

venom hybrid said:
"Buckshot said:
"

zee crusher said:

"I've been making sense. Your just one of the many that likes superman to much so of course I was gonna ask you. "

I'm glad you know so much about me. I mean, if I ever say anything that doesn't put down Superman it must mean I'm madly in love with his spandex.

venom hybrid said:

"

Wait are you two arguing over who is faster Supes or Flash... "

I'm glad you have such a solid grasp of what's going on.

"

Oh sorry i didn't wanna say something and be wrong about it your just mad becuase you must be a supes fanboy to think he standsa chance in a race against the Flash"


Something is wrong with him.
#17 Posted by The_MVPs (84693 posts) - - Show Bio
Buckshot said:
"Get back to me when you start making sense."
spits drink lmao
Moderator
#18 Posted by The_MVPs (84693 posts) - - Show Bio

These scans don't really help as it pertains to his flight speed on Earth. But they suggest that if need be, he's fast enough to leave the atmosphere so that he might reach greater speeds without having to play it safe.

caption
caption
caption


Moderator
#19 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

They don't reallly suggest. It just helps you guys assume. Like on the other superman pick you guys assumed he went 20 times the speed of light. Methos did the math right the first them then creator redid it wrong the second time. He used it in a different way. So just assuming means nothing till its done.

#20 Posted by The_MVPs (84693 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats why in the beginning of it all I clearly say, "These scans don't really help as it pertains to his flight speed on Earth"

Its all speculation and assuming seeing as sometimes he's shown to move at speed X, and others at speed Z. I like Buckshots post about, "He flies as fast as he has to."

Moderator
#21 Posted by Vance Astro (91233 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"These scans don't really help as it pertains to his flight speed on Earth. But they suggest that if need be, he's fast enough to leave the atmosphere so that he might reach greater speeds without having to play it safe.

caption
caption
caption


"
Diana got shot?
Moderator
#22 Posted by The_MVPs (84693 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats Lois

Moderator
#23 Edited by Vance Astro (91233 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"Thats Lois
"
They look the same.I should have known it was Lois though...
Moderator
#24 Posted by venom hybrid (2486 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah a little but i'm pretty sure Diana could have took or dodge that bullet

#25 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"Thats why in the beginning of it all I clearly say, "These scans don't really help as it pertains to his flight speed on Earth"

Its all speculation and assuming seeing as sometimes he's shown to move at speed X, and others at speed Z. I like Buckshots post about, "He flies as fast as he has to."

"

Yeah I saw that first part already. Superman just can't fly at any speeds. If he would fly as fast as he has to he would have caught flash in that problem the same way runner blitzed an pwned silver surfer to his knees. That would mean with ease.

@Vance: You honestly think a bullet can hurt wonder woman lol? Do you know what happens when a bullet comes to her??
#26 Posted by Vance Astro (91233 posts) - - Show Bio
zee crusher said:
"Gambler said:
"Thats why in the beginning of it all I clearly say, "These scans don't really help as it pertains to his flight speed on Earth"

Its all speculation and assuming seeing as sometimes he's shown to move at speed X, and others at speed Z. I like Buckshots post about, "He flies as fast as he has to."

"

Yeah I saw that first part already. Superman just can't fly at any speeds. If he would fly as fast as he has to he would have caught flash in that problem the same way runner blitzed an pwned silver surfer to his knees. That would mean with ease.

@Vance: You honestly think a bullet can hurt wonder woman lol? Do you know what happens when a bullet comes to her??"
That's why I said.."Diana got shot?" assuming maybe it was a special bullet or something.I know she can't be shot.
Moderator
#27 Posted by The_MVPs (84693 posts) - - Show Bio

If your looking for anything like, "Superman flies at 989 miles per hour while on Earth" you'll never find it. The writers purposely avoid any set number so that its left up for interpretation. Every writer portrays Superman's speed differently. This scan shows a glimpse into Superman's thought process when flying at high speeds on Earth.

caption


Moderator
#28 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

She can be shot. That's why she blocks bullets, because if she didn't the bullet would penetrate. She'd tough it out, but it would still be able to get into her.

Moderator
#29 Posted by Vance Astro (91233 posts) - - Show Bio
Buckshot said:
"She can be shot. That's why she blocks bullets, because if she didn't the bullet would penetrate. She'd tough it out, but it would still be able to get into her."
I knew she wasn't bulletproof.
Moderator
#30 Posted by The_MVPs (84693 posts) - - Show Bio
Buckshot said:
"She can be shot. That's why she blocks bullets, because if she didn't the bullet would penetrate. She'd tough it out, but it would still be able to get into her."
Lmao, "Get into her" sometimes I wish I was a bullet
Moderator
#31 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

No comment.

Moderator
#32 Posted by Vance Astro (91233 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"Buckshot said:
"She can be shot. That's why she blocks bullets, because if she didn't the bullet would penetrate. She'd tough it out, but it would still be able to get into her."
Lmao, "Get into her" sometimes I wish I was a bullet
"
LMAO.
Moderator
#33 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"If your looking for anything like, "Superman flies at 989 miles per hour while on Earth" you'll never find it. The writers purposely avoid any set number so that its left up for interpretation. Every writer portrays Superman's speed differently. This scan shows a glimpse into Superman's thought process when flying at high speeds on Earth.

caption


"

They should have atleast let him fly high up in the air like every other hero does lol. Hell even vision does it and he doesn't even fly.
#34 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio
Buckshot said:
"I never said anything about a cannon. Get out of my pool."
Nice.

zee crusher said:
"You said its not cannon. I'm just asking everybody only thinks is cannon when superman does things that make no sense. When he holds a blackhole it makes sense to them."

He's telling you to spell it canon, not cannon.

zee crusher said:
"They don't reallly suggest. It just helps you guys assume. Like on the other superman pick you guys assumed he went 20 times the speed of light. Methos did the math right the first them then creator redid it wrong the second time. He used it in a different way. So just assuming means nothing till its done."

Actually Methos' math was wrong and he later admitted it.  Creator did the calculation correctly.  Go back and check the thread and check their math if you want.  The explanation behind Methos' mistake is clearly laid out in Creator's post.

Vance Astro said:
"Buckshot said:
"She can be shot. That's why she blocks bullets, because if she didn't the bullet would penetrate. She'd tough it out, but it would still be able to get into her."
I knew she wasn't bulletproof."

Congratulations.

#35 Posted by The_MVPs (84693 posts) - - Show Bio

When I grow up I wanna be like Forever

Moderator
#36 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"When I grow up I wanna be like Forever
"

Lol, youre doing great at your age.
#37 Posted by _Obsidian_ (5028 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"When I grow up I wanna be like Forever"
lol me too :P
#38 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

Ohhh

#39 Posted by The_MVPs (84693 posts) - - Show Bio
Forever said:
"Gambler said:
"When I grow up I wanna be like Forever
"

Lol, youre doing great at your age.
"
Is really 65
Moderator
#40 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

But a young 65.

#41 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

When I grow up I want to be as patient and respectful as Forever but retain my Buckshot-i-ness.

Moderator
#42 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio
zee crusher said:
"Okay then how about the time superman admitted that he always felt as though flash had been holding back when they raced. That was from the same comic I believe but still he admits it. I have a question. How come when superman can't do something or loses a fight its not cannon? When he gets something done and it doesn't even make sense like holding a black hole thats cannon?"
Buckshot said that "Justice" probably is not canon, considering what the story is about that probably is the case, he never said that Superman not being able to catch the Flash (Barry) is wrong.

venom hybrid said:
"Buckshot said:
"

zee crusher said:

"I've been making sense. Your just one of the many that likes superman to much so of course I was gonna ask you. "

I'm glad you know so much about me. I mean, if I ever say anything that doesn't put down Superman it must mean I'm madly in love with his spandex.

venom hybrid said:

"

Wait are you two arguing over who is faster Supes or Flash... "

I'm glad you have such a solid grasp of what's going on.

"

Oh sorry i didn't wanna say something and be wrong about it your just mad becuase you must be a supes fanboy to think he standsa chance in a race against the Flash"
they were not discussing who was the fastest
#43 Posted by the creator (8577 posts) - - Show Bio
zee crusher said:
"They don't reallly suggest. It just helps you guys assume. Like on the other superman pick you guys assumed he went 20 times the speed of light. Methos did the math right the first them then creator redid it wrong the second time. He used it in a different way. So just assuming means nothing till its done."

Actually Methos did the maths wrong.

He was the first to admit it.

I did the maths right because I don't like errors.
#44 Posted by the creator (8577 posts) - - Show Bio
Forever said:
"zee crusher said:
"They don't reallly suggest. It just helps you guys assume. Like on the other superman pick you guys assumed he went 20 times the speed of light. Methos did the math right the first them then creator redid it wrong the second time. He used it in a different way. So just assuming means nothing till its done."

Actually Methos' math was wrong and he later admitted it.  Creator did the calculation correctly.  Go back and check the thread and check their math if you want.  The explanation behind Methos' mistake is clearly laid out in Creator's post.

Thanks for the backup Forever.
#45 Posted by Chicago_Bruce (81 posts) - - Show Bio

At the end of  Superman-Batman Annual #1, Clark grabs Bruce to avoid Lois, telling Bruce after the fact that he did so at about Mach 4. (Not meaning that is as fast as Clark can go, just as fast as he went with Bruce, not wanting his head to explode or something)
 
Has anyone else found specific speed references? 

#46 Posted by MrDirector786 (43553 posts) - - Show Bio

On Earth, he always flies under light speed because he doesn't have any kind of speed force like power to prevent himself from doing any kind of damage to the planet.

#47 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrDirector786 said:
" On Earth, he always flies under light speed because he doesn't have any kind of speed force like power to prevent himself from doing any kind of damage to the planet. "
this and he also keeps it under under the sound barrier when he's in a city or populated area incase the sonic boom causes destruction

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.