Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18936 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

How Does Superman Travel Through The Universe?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

How long can Supes actually hold a charge? I ask this because between galaxies there is something called void space where there is nothing, no light, no planets, no stars, no asteroids nothing but dark energy. Most voids range from 11 to 150 parsecs (1 parsec = 3.3 lightyears) and the largest one is clocked in at 1 billion light years across. So I'm wondering can Superman actually hold a charge long enough to travel between galaxies?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Pre Crisis sure, the dude traveled millions of lightyears in minutes. Now, hmmmmm IDK.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Pre- crisis definitely. Supes today, I'd like to think tops out at light speed so no travelling between galaxies for him. Although he could use zeta rays, boom tubes or wormholes to traverse those distances.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

What the other people say.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@ultimatesmfan: Has Supes actually been out of our solar system in the New 52?

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After COIE I don’t remember Superman traveling across galaxies under his own power (though - I think – it was once implied that Superboy-Prime could). Superman now sometimes was portrayed as capable traveling between star systems, but if longer distances – Boom Tube, Trans Warp, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

After COIE I don’t remember Superman traveling across galaxies under his own power

In For Tomorrow he traveled between galaxies to save Kyle Rayner.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

I can’t find my copy of For Tomorrow right now to make sure of it, but I don’t remember that Superman traveled across galaxies to save Kyle (also I don’t think that Clark’s hearing was good enough to hear “Superman. Help me” from another galaxy). Maybe Kyle was trapped somewhere in the Milky Way?

Artyom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Artyom

@ultimatesmfan: I thought that New Supes could travel faster than the speed of light.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

I can’t find my copy of For Tomorrow right now to make sure of it, but I don’t remember that Superman traveled across galaxies to save Kyle (also I don’t think that Clark’s hearing was good enough to hear “Superman. Help me” from another galaxy). Maybe Kyle was trapped somewhere in the Milky Way?

I don't know. He shouldn't hear the Save me" outside of the atmosphere of earth so...f@ck logic but he was "A million miles away" so that is inside the milky way, yeah, I just checked to make sure.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artyom:

I thought that New Supes could travel faster than the speed of light.

FTL – he can; travel on his own between galaxies – he can’t (runs out of juice before that) ;)

@squalleon:

I don't know. He shouldn't hear the Save me" outside of the atmosphere of earth so...f@ck logic but he was "A million miles away" so that is inside the milky way, yeah, I just checked to make sure.

Current theory of Superman powers – strength, invulnerability (some tactile telekinesis manipulation), heat vision, superspeed (electromagnetic manipulation), supersenses (apparently, they’re not supersenses per se, but actually how Kryptonians manifest their latent psionic abilities, that’s why Super’ hearing and different vision modes can work despite breaking laws of physics). At least, that’s what currently most popular theory as I heard is.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Squalleon

@sanohibiki said:

@artyom:

I thought that New Supes could travel faster than the speed of light.

FTL – he can; travel on his own between galaxies – he can’t (runs out of juice before that) ;)

@squalleon:

Current theory of Superman powers – strength, invulnerability (some tactile telekinesis manipulation), heat vision, superspeed (electromagnetic manipulation), supersenses (apparently, they’re not supersenses per se, but actually how Kryptonians manifest their latent psionic abilities, that’s why Super’ hearing and different vision modes can work despite breaking laws of physics). At least, that’s what currently most popular theory as I heard is.

The Super-vision was explained by Morrison to be Superman's eyes emit instead of absorb radiation(AC issue 2). As for Strength,invulnerability etc. I think pre-52 was explained to be a small force field around him that's why his costume was protected, planes didn't break in their own weight etc. New 52 lacks any explanation but the tacticle telekinesis would make perfect sense.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SanoHibiki

@squalleon:

I meant fans’ accepted theory, outside of official explanations.

The Super-vision was explained by Morrison to be Superman's eyes absorb instead of emitting radiation(AC issue 2).

Kudos to Morrison for that. That’s how x-ray vision can (theoretically) work.

Well, we see things because our eyes can perceive electromagnetic radiation of certain wavelength. Superman, unlike us, sees things that happen in, for example, other star system right now – and physically that’s impossible, because that’s part of visible light wouldn’t reach Earth in a sometime. Similar with hearing – Superman hears sounds when air vibrations didn’t even reach him ears or even better, in space. That’s outside of laws of physics, so fan –favorite theory – Kryptonian senses are actually psionic based.

P.S. It makes me wonder – it seems to me that only Superman abilities always dissected that much. With time it’s getting tiresome…

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

I meant fans’ accepted theory, outside of official explanations.

The Super-vision was explained by Morrison to be Superman's eyes absorb instead of emitting radiation(AC issue 2).

Kudos to Morrison for that. That’s how x-ray vision can (theoretically) work.

Well, we see things because our eyes can perceive electromagnetic radiation of certain wavelength. Superman, unlike us, sees things that happen in, for example, other star system right now – and physically that’s impossible, because that’s part of visible light wouldn’t reach Earth in a sometime. Similar with hearing – Superman hears sounds when air vibrations didn’t even reach him ears or even better, in space. That’s outside of laws of physics, so fan –favorite theory – Kryptonian senses are actually psionic based.

P.S. It makes me wonder – it seems to me that only Superman abilities always dissected that much. With time it’s getting tiresome…

Forgot to mention that he emmits radiation too, quoting Superman " Except my eyes don't just absorb radiation they emmit too", that is how we have Gamma rays that Snyder gave us. But the X-ray vision is him absorbing the X-rays not emmiting them as it was in the SA.

Indeed it gets but Superman's powers since his creation, were made to make sense, in GA it was Krypton's gravity and his strength was compared to that of an ant. In SA, they created the sun excuse since the readers became more clever and curious, now Superman's powers don't make sense again so they must be changed. Of course I don't really give a d@mn as long as I get a good story and I would advise DC to not give a d@mn too. The same probably doesn't happen with Martian Manhunter because he looks more exotic so people don't have the same problem comprehending that he is an alien and they don't ask for explanations and because he isn't as popular.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SanoHibiki

@squalleon:

I don't really give a d@mn as long as I get a good story and I would advise DC to not give a d@mn too. The same probably doesn't happen with Martian Manhunter because he looks more exotic so people don't have the same problem comprehending that he is an alien and they don't ask for explanations and because he isn't as popular.

Word for word – completely agree with you.

Forgot to mention that he emmits radiation too, quoting Superman " Except my eyes don't just absorb radiation they emmit too", that is how we have Gamma rays that Snyder gave us. But the X-ray vision is him absorbing the X-rays not emmiting them as it was in the SA.

Didn’t Snyder re-use it from early AC? I wonder if New-52 Supes now can both absorb and emit radiation, is he capable of that:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.