Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

How does Superman fly?

• 126 results
    flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

FAIRY POWDER

M-174

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is said to have an organ within his body that allows him to manipulate his gravity and the gravity of things he touches. Either that, or by manipulating his inertia and the inertia of the objects he touches. Thus, these things would allow him to fly.

Valdemocnij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FART POWER !!!

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With style, petite. With style.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He manipulates the energy around him or inside of him,that's why he can absorb one form of energy and convert it to another,then use it in many different ways.

TK is NOT what he has,that's Superboy,and his TTK is a mutation of what superman has.

Both have the same effect,besides that Superboy can manipulate his energy outward easier than superman.

Avatar image for deactivated-63665f9fbd262
    deactivated-63665f9fbd262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By the power of Hope.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trailofdead: he can bend space time which in result pulls him in whichever direction he wants even einstein said bending space results to objects being pulled towards it it seems that on krypton in order to reduce the extreme gravity all kryptonians were born with space bended around themselves which balanced the downward pull of the planet since on earth there is so less gravity this artifical space bend overpowers it leading them to go up in the air and due to his organs being drunk with yellow sun radiation he can bend space even more resulting him in going supersonic

Not sure were you're getting that information but even by scientific standards it makes absolutely no sense.

A planet were living beings have personal warp fields. That's... Call Mr Spock, so he can tell you how impossible that would be. I'd believe it more if you said the planet had mystical energies in it, or that somehow the Krypton had an immense geomantic field, giving all lifeforms on Krypton their unique abilities.

More than a reader I'm scientist. Science is literally my life. And talking about a planet with natural occurring warp field. Sorry my friend but the chances of that are near impossible.

MidnightKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read one Smallville comic that said Superman could manipulate graviton. That is what give him his ability to anchor himself to the ground and fly. I think he flies by sheer force of will. He flies because he wants to fly. I don't mind looking at this problem more "realistically" but we can only apply so much real world science to a world that is hundreds of years beyond our scientifically. And besides real world physics is only the universe as we now understand it. Science says it's impossible to accelerate faster then the speed of light. No, we just haven't found a way yet. 100 years from now, things we thought impossible will be a part of the laws of physics.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman flies by manipulating gravitons according to the wiki

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dranzergigs55 said:

@heavenlydarkdragon: Not sure were you're getting that information but even by scientific standards it makes absolutely no sense.

are u kidding me it is the basis of general theory of relativity and u are saying it doesnt make any sense u must be a very bad scientist then gravity is not a fundamental force but a result of bend in space time i believe in this theory more than u ever will bcoz it not only explains his flight but also other theatrics he does which are impossible with physics point of view like lifting a skyscraper with a single hand is impossible due to the lack of surface area of his little hands but still he does coz he bends the space above the building which results in change of center of mass of building to his hands he also bends space above his head to decompress his spine and increase his height after turning to superman from clark kent and if u see in batman superman apocalypse supergirl gets pulled upwards while running from the police due to the bended space above her head believe it or not it makes perfect sense

You're serious, aren't you?

Look. If not for the simple fact that even in Star Trek they had to use miles size ships, and tons of tech to even generate a warp field. And now you come and say that nature somehow developed beings that have personal warp fields.

Can I ask you a question. Relax. I'm not gonna use it against you, just to get a better idea of your knowledge base. Are you in highschool?

Look. When extreme gravity became clear that it couldn't explain for kryptonian powers, they included the solar battery thing. That has a fundamental flaw. Given Krypton's now 5X greater gravity, red dwarf star, and that life on that planet reached seemingly impossible sizes for the environment they lived in. So it would be a far more plausible theory to say that unlike what it's said in the comics, kryptonians and kryptonian lifeforms also have powers on Krypton, that they also absorb and process red sunlight at a superhuman level. And that on Krypton they seem vulnerable and has strong as humans because of the extra gravity.

And outside their home planet, and adding a more powerful type of star class. They gain incredible powers. But that even on Earth if exposed to red sunlight they would still be superhuman, only at a lower level.

The idea of kryptonian powers lies behind the concept, that unlike humans to which sunlight has minimal molecular consequences, to kryptonians sunlight affects them on a subatomic level. Enabling them to store and process huge amounts of energy.

It's by far more likely to be the so much mentioned (and real world) bio-aura. Or the comic and fictional, telekinesis.

But please! Let go of the warp nonsense. Even warp itself depends on the existence of a completely theoretical form of energy called negative energy. That's even less likely to exist than gravitons. So don't complicate the simpler part of Superman.

You're already making such a complication of only the flight power, I don't even want to imagine how you believe his other powers work.

I'm not your enemy here. If anything I'm trying to help you out, by telling you what's at least believable and what's complete illusion even by comic standards. Nor I'm being a smartass, about your theory. It's just that for a guy like me with a PhD on both "Digital Systems" and "Nuclear Energy Science and Technology", and that has read a fair amount of books about biology and genetics. Reading about personal warp fields that exist on biological living beings is beyond believable... It's crazy.

Don't believe me? World renowed scientist Michio Maku has at least one page on the web were people can send him questions about various topics. Then ask him about your theory and what the chances of something like that actually happening. And you'll see I'm not taking any pleasure at all talking about this.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@midnightknight said:

I read one Smallville comic that said Superman could manipulate graviton. That is what give him his ability to anchor himself to the ground and fly. I think he flies by sheer force of will. He flies because he wants to fly. I don't mind looking at this problem more "realistically" but we can only apply so much real world science to a world that is hundreds of years beyond our scientifically. And besides real world physics is only the universe as we now understand it. Science says it's impossible to accelerate faster then the speed of light. No, we just haven't found a way yet. 100 years from now, things we thought impossible will be a part of the laws of physics.

Do you remember the issue, that's specifically said? Because if memory serves me well, Clark said he could control his mass. And if he wanted he could increase it to the point were normal humans couldn't move him from the spot he was.

Which was nonsense also. If he said he could use his flight power to make himself immovable. That I would believe.

Either way. Gravity is the most mysterious of the four fundamental forces. Gravity acts and reacts to somethings and doesn't to others.

We can't detect gravity or at least what we feel being gravity. We know it exists but still it's one of science greatest mysteries. So to think someone (anyone) can manipulate gravity with sheer will is extremely far fetched.

Bioelectric-aura manipulation even TK are much more credible. And more within of what is powers are. After all how can he see in the entire electromagnetic spectrum and use some of those types of energy, like infrared (heat vision) and x-rays (to see through walls) but can and can't control/use (depending on the writer) for example, microwaves, radio, optic, ultraviolet, and gamma.

But can control, the completely theoretical gravity particles.

Even if DC comes out and says that heat and x-ray vision are not in any way related to him being able to see in the electromagnetic spectrum. That they are totally different things, even then controlling gravity is nonsense or the chances of it being so are nearly zero.

Yes controlling gravity in theory might allow us to propel ships faster than light. But has a personal flight power goes, it's terrible. Superman would not be able to fly as he does. Such level of control would be near impossible.

But flying by using his bioelectric-aura would allow such control. Seeing that electromagnetism is the strongest and most "malleable" of the four forces.

Even this year, I read a article that purposed the idea of creating a type of multi-helix ion rotational field, to generate a propulsion drive that would not be limited by special relatively. Flying speeds would only be limited by the amount of energy the ship would be able to generate.

And the math seems accurate, in theory.

So maybe DC should drop the gravity control and adopt more credible ideas.

Just my opinion.

@christianrapper said:

The same I said above.

This isn't about being a smartass or anything like that. It's just about what is remotely possible and what is so far down the fiction ladder that I can't in peace of mind pretend to believe.

I love the character, but I don't love to the point my brain freezes.

Peace and carry on fellow Viners.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Its a form of telepathy, buy this

flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By farting uncontrollably

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#117  Edited By goonage

He isn't flying. He's falling with style.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

t said:

Do you remember the issue, that's specifically said? Because if memory serves me well, Clark said he could control his mass. And if he wanted he could increase it to the point were normal humans couldn't move him from the spot he was.

Which was nonsense also. If he said he could use his flight power to make himself immovable. That I would believe.

Either way. Gravity is the most mysterious of the four fundamental forces. Gravity acts and reacts to somethings and doesn't to others.

We can't detect gravity or at least what we feel being gravity. We know it exists but still it's one of science greatest mysteries. So to think someone (anyone) can manipulate gravity with sheer will is extremely far fetched.

Bioelectric-aura manipulation even TK are much more credible. And more within of what is powers are. After all how can he see in the entire electromagnetic spectrum and use some of those types of energy, like infrared (heat vision) and x-rays (to see through walls) but can and can't control/use (depending on the writer) for example, microwaves, radio, optic, ultraviolet, and gamma.

But can control, the completely theoretical gravity particles.

Even if DC comes out and says that heat and x-ray vision are not in any way related to him being able to see in the electromagnetic spectrum. That they are totally different things, even then controlling gravity is nonsense or the chances of it being so are nearly zero.

Yes controlling gravity in theory might allow us to propel ships faster than light. But has a personal flight power goes, it's terrible. Superman would not be able to fly as he does. Such level of control would be near impossible.

But flying by using his bioelectric-aura would allow such control. Seeing that electromagnetism is the strongest and most "malleable" of the four forces.

Even this year, I read a article that purposed the idea of creating a type of multi-helix ion rotational field, to generate a propulsion drive that would not be limited by special relatively. Flying speeds would only be limited by the amount of energy the ship would be able to generate.

And the math seems accurate, in theory.

So maybe DC should drop the gravity control and adopt more credible ideas.

Just my opinion.

@christianrapper said:

The same I said above.

This isn't about being a smartass or anything like that. It's just about what is remotely possible and what is so far down the fiction ladder that I can't in peace of mind pretend to believe.

I love the character, but I don't love to the point my brain freezes.

Peace and carry on fellow Viners.

you know he's a comic book character,right? they have characters like martian manhunter who can read minds and is nearly as strong as superman. in one comic book there is this big green guy who can jump miles in the air and gets stronger the madder he gets. there is also this guy in a bat suit who has things in his utility belt that couldn't possibly fit in there. we suspend reality when we read comic books. why is superman different than any other character? every character that flies does it by manipulating gravitons. it's not just superman. he we have magneto and graviton whose powers are basically manipulating gravity. no one looks at a comic book and expects it to make sence. most movies have crap in it that defies physics. look at any action movie ever made.

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By McFlicky

Because he's f*cking superman

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper:

you know he's a comic book character,right? they have characters like martian manhunter who can read minds and is nearly as strong as superman. in one comic book there is this big green guy who can jump miles in the air and gets stronger the madder he gets. there is also this guy in a bat suit who has things in his utility belt that couldn't possibly fit in there. we suspend reality when we read comic books. why is superman different than any other character? every character that flies does it by manipulating gravitons. it's not just superman. he we have magneto and graviton whose powers are basically manipulating gravity. no one looks at a comic book and expects it to make sence. most movies have crap in it that defies physics. look at any action movie ever made.

Really!? And here I was wondering why I never saw him in real life...

You got an A on being obvious and a C- in the creative and logic department.

First of all Magneto doesn't control gravity, he uses magnetic fields to levitate and fly. How does Jean Grey, Superboy, Martian Manhunter and all that have psychics fly?! Telekinesis. Not gravity control.

So if you're gonna discuss something, get the facts straight. Or you'll lose any credibility.

Controlling gravity is not has effective as you might think. You just read that it was like that, and gone with it, because god forbid one thinks for oneself. And actually knows when a writer is pulling rabbits from his a#&.

I got no problem with physics, those that simply fly be it because they have some form of energy propulsion or they simply fly. The same way I got no problem that the Hulk grows stronger the angrier he gets. Not because I believe for a second that it's his anger that fuels his powers, but that anger triggers a biological response that makes his body absorb more of the type of energy that fuels his powers. See what I did here?! That's called thinking for oneself.

Comics are not Manga, were all a character needs to do is shout and shout, and shout some more and pulls transformations after transformations, making himself stronger by the power of anger alone, which is beyond stupid. It might be fun to read, but relate to that cr*p... Not in a million years.

And have you noticed you generalized all flying powers?! "It's the control of gravity" you say. Well, I say "Stop fooling around and get your head in the game". If it’s all gravity control, then how about Firestorm, Captain Atom, Fire, all the different lanterns, Superboy, Doctor Fate, Hawkgirl, Booster Gold, Zatanna, Wonder Woman... I could go on but you get the picture. Gravity control is a power limited to some characters, Superman or any other kryptonian not being one of them.

And that's your view on comics don't make it everyone else's. That's arrogance beyond measure. To you its a release from reality and the rules that rule it, but to me it's about creativity. One's ability to write something credible, even if it's fiction. It's not about shutting down the brain but actually stimulate it. Reading the story and arrive to one's own conclusions.

If we all accepted things blindly then there wouldn't be any bad writers. Because at the end of the day they could write that Batman pulled a giant robot from his utility belt and everyone would be fine with it. Even Batman utility belt has suffered some major changes, and it isn't so much what he can carry in the belt but how surprisingly lucky he is for always having the right tool for the job. That's what's fake. Has for him having multiple devices, seeing that comics are about the future and working with what to us is not yet possible. And show how it will be when it is. More now than ever seeing how much electronic components have shrunken in size. And with nanotechnology, those things are even more possible. Sure he's not gonna pull the batmobile from his belt, but lots of portable tech... Why the hell not.

So don't generalize stuff and stop with the gravitons cr@p. It's cool to explain wormholes and artificial gravity, but stop saying that basically every hero that flies is a biological Star Trek ship.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper:

Really!? And here I was wondering why I never saw him in real life...

You got an A on being obvious and a C- in the creative and logic department.

First of all Magneto doesn't control gravity, he uses magnetic fields to levitate and fly. How does Jean Grey, Superboy, Martian Manhunter and all that have psychics fly?! Telekinesis. Not gravity control.

So if you're gonna discuss something, get the facts straight. Or you'll lose any credibility.

Controlling gravity is not has effective as you might think. You just read that it was like that, and gone with it, because god forbid one thinks for oneself. And actually knows when a writer is pulling rabbits from his a#&.

I got no problem with physics, those that simply fly be it because they have some form of energy propulsion or they simply fly. The same way I got no problem that the Hulk grows stronger the angrier he gets. Not because I believe for a second that it's his anger that fuels his powers, but that anger triggers a biological response that makes his body absorb more of the type of energy that fuels his powers. See what I did here?! That's called thinking for oneself.

Comics are not Manga, were all a character needs to do is shout and shout, and shout some more and pulls transformations after transformations, making himself stronger by the power of anger alone, which is beyond stupid. It might be fun to read, but relate to that cr*p... Not in a million years.

And have you noticed you generalized all flying powers?! "It's the control of gravity" you say. Well, I say "Stop fooling around and get your head in the game". If it’s all gravity control, then how about Firestorm, Captain Atom, Fire, all the different lanterns, Superboy, Doctor Fate, Hawkgirl, Booster Gold, Zatanna, Wonder Woman... I could go on but you get the picture. Gravity control is a power limited to some characters, Superman or any other kryptonian not being one of them.

And that's your view on comics don't make it everyone else's. That's arrogance beyond measure. To you its a release from reality and the rules that rule it, but to me it's about creativity. One's ability to write something credible, even if it's fiction. It's not about shutting down the brain but actually stimulate it. Reading the story and arrive to one's own conclusions.

If we all accepted things blindly then there wouldn't be any bad writers. Because at the end of the day they could write that Batman pulled a giant robot from his utility belt and everyone would be fine with it. Even Batman utility belt has suffered some major changes, and it isn't so much what he can carry in the belt but how surprisingly lucky he is for always having the right tool for the job. That's what's fake. Has for him having multiple devices, seeing that comics are about the future and working with what to us is not yet possible. And show how it will be when it is. More now than ever seeing how much electronic components have shrunken in size. And with nanotechnology, those things are even more possible. Sure he's not gonna pull the batmobile from his belt, but lots of portable tech... Why the hell not.

So don't generalize stuff and stop with the gravitons cr@p. It's cool to explain wormholes and artificial gravity, but stop saying that basically every hero that flies is a biological Star Trek ship.

a little testy aren't we?

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper:

Not testy. But I always get a little annoyed when I see a comic reader, simply taking things on faith alone.

I got no problem with faith, until the point it stops things from getting done, seen and understood.

I like to see readers challenge what they read. To reach the end of the story and say to themselves "Okay, now I'm gonna break it down and see what makes sense and what doesn't."

That shows initiative. That shows creativity. And more importantly, that the reader has a mind of his own. That he or she can look at a situation and place himself in it, like you're runing a simulation in your brain and analyzing what is remotely possible and what isn't.

By not even taking into account what I'm trying to tell you, and being stubborn about the gravitons stuff, it feels like I'm trying to explain quantum mechanics to a 5 year old, that's actually a lot older, most likely in highschool, college or even already with his or hers own career. In two words... An adult!

You may want to simply accept things as they are said, but if your gonna do it, then don't say things like they're coming from your mind. You're simply quoting what others have said or writen and never gave it a second thought.

Even worst was when you tried to generalize all flying powers to gravity control. That's a rookie move. Worst, that's a move from someone that doesn't understand what he's even saying.

Let me explain this to you. Why do I'm against gravity control. Is it to piss you off? No. Is it to make me sound like a smartass? No. It's simply to try and help you understand why it can't be like that.

If tomorrow you woke up with the power to control gravity would you be able to fly? Not has you imagine it. You'd be able to float. You'd be able to decrease the effect gravity has on you and you'd float like a balloon. But you'd not be able propel yourself just by decreasing gravity.

Why?? Well because to propel yourself you'd need to use gravity to compress space in the direction you'd want to go and expand it in the opposite direction.

Now this would create a serious problem. By expanding and compressing space, you'd generate great amounts of heat all around your body, and if you were to speed up to much, your body would catch itself on fire, or most likely you'd faint from heatstroke. Another problem is that if you tried to take people with you then you'd have to expand the bubble around that person also. Which brings us back to the previous problems. And another thing lets say you wanted to suddendly change direction, or go in any direction like Superman and other flying comic book characters do. You wouldn't be able to. Why? Because space compression and expansion only works in a linear form. You can't generate multiple compressions and expansions or you'd tear yourself appart. Literally appart.

Another minor problem. Lets say, you never went too fast to get too hot, by warping space around you, you'd cut yourself from small but important things like, air, sound, and even light would be distorted. Without air, you'd suffocate. Without sound you'd not be able to hear things, maybe even life threatning things from hiting you. And distorting light, you'd have a hard time finding your way anywhere.

So has you see, warping space might seem a easy way to fly, but it isn't. It's actually the hardest way. And filled with downsides. While things like telekinesis and simple energy manipulation work well without any of those problems.

Warp is good if you want to go from point A to B without having any obstacles in your path.

Just try this mental exercise.

You're standing on a street. You have the power to control gravity. And you want to simply float above the clouds. You'd have two ways of getting there.

1. You'd float to the clouds, by lowering the effect of gravity on you to zero or near zero, and hope there wasn't too much wind to knock you off course. And once you get there you'd need to switch between zero gravity and some gravity so you wouldn't float too high and faint from lack of air.

2. You'd warp space around you. On top of your head you'd compress space and below your feet you'd expand space. Immediately you'd be propelled upward. The moment you reached your objective you'd need to slow down the propulsion to near zero, cancel the warp and simply put your gravity to zero. Because in warp you'd not be able to float in mid air. Even the faintest warp field would propel you either up of down. Or to be more accurate you could float. But you'd need to continously switch between up and down propulsion.

And this is just so you could get to the clouds and float around. Now imagine, dodging buildings, people, make all that dance in the air that those that fly on the comics do. It would take such concentration and effort that it would either be impossible or you'd not be able to think about anything else.

This is why gravity control, warp, or whatever you want to call it isn't a viable flying power. This is logic.

Just because we're talking about comic books doesn't mean that logic goes out the window. And you know this. Or you wouldn't have mentioned Batman utility belt.

I really hope this helps you understand the "Why's" of this discussion because I'm not gonna continue to debate this topic with you.

Either you get it or you don't. I did my job and gave you all the info. Now it's all up to you.

Pollux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Pollux

@phoenix654: There are only theories, nothing is official

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49375365792
    deactivated-5e49375365792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By his own will.

HonikerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#125  Edited By HonikerX

why would you ask for an in universe explanation? "what do p********** say?" that's really what you needed to know? If someone pays them, what they say was real?

Aliens, are, they are so good, they know, about, even uhm, okay, no looking, air benders, they breathe better than you, he has, uhm, well he made, ion, that's air, green light, it'll show you all colors, hue will, that's green, he made that, and, uhm, bending went away, too many days gone, hiding magic, from Darkseid, that's Dabura(used to have a lot more powers), and uhm, all the dbz stuff, that went away, hiding magic, need to kill him for good, don't let him learn,

but anyway, fly without wings? Well he could do that, but it's sex, and air. Two elements he's a master of, "Braniac, it's Gohan. What they're learned about the yellow sun cannot be allowed to leave the planet's surface. Finish them." "Yes, Superman." So like, he's an avatar, of ancient arc, and built those powers, and lied about them, (yellow sun sorceror powers, they are not), but like, violet and green light, he uses black, witness, ash, that's for x-ray vison, red light, truth/rage, laser blast eyes, air and water, blue, for ice breathe, orange, that's flame, intuition, for heat ray vision, lit up in insanity, or waves, so uncaught, but flame, but air benders have, hundreds of thousands of will currents, air currents, fostered around them, so they can fly, if they do

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
    plotweapon16255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gravity manipulation, density manipulation , Etc depends on his incarnation.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.