How does he keep his hair down?

#1 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean, it's like, Superman's hair is as hard as the rest of him, and weighs as much as normal hair, so shouldn't it just grow out randomly?

I mean, we'd need like, a million times Earth gravity to weight it down, logically

shouldn't he just have hair that grows out randomly?

has this been explained?

#2 Posted by Bruxae (12649 posts) - - Show Bio

Kryptonian hairgel, duh.

#3 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae said:

Kryptonian hairgel, duh.

his ship came down with gallons of the stuff?

#4 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae said:

Kryptonian hairgel, duh.

He could've borrowed some from Kandor ;)

#5 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@betatesthighlander1 said:

@bruxae said:

Kryptonian hairgel, duh.

He could've borrowed some from Kandor ;)

but wouldn't they need to generate entire oceans of the stuff to keep him good for a day

also, would Kryptonian hairgel even compensate for the superpowers that they'd have an earth?

#6 Posted by Bruxae (12649 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no clue, I was joking.

#7 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1

I don't know, reverse shrinking ray? Maybe their tech is advanced enough to compensate?

This is just one of those unanswered questions in comics, though it would be interesting to mention in an issue.

#8 Posted by The Stegman (23160 posts) - - Show Bio

He pats it down.

#9 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

He pats it down.

but why would it stay down if it's so strong?

@veshark said:

@betatesthighlander1

I don't know, reverse shrinking ray? Maybe their tech is advanced enough to compensate?

This is just one of those unanswered questions in comics, though it would be interesting to mention in an issue.

heh, yeah

#10 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11130 posts) - - Show Bio

He uses his ice breath.

#11 Posted by joshmightbe (24690 posts) - - Show Bio

Its one of his super powers

#12 Edited by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

Super-hair.

#13 Posted by joshmightbe (24690 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb: It is the only way to explain how he never got tangles back when he had the mullet.

#14 Posted by BumpyBoo (7676 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree, it's super hair, that's a real power. @capfanboy has it ;)

#15 Edited by The Stegman (23160 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Edited by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Not to ruin the fun, but he's not "hard" all the time (giggity). Something about the bio-electric matrixamajiggerthingamasciene covering his cells makes them durable enough to resist/repel the energy transfer that would otherwise damage him. The "hardness" felt when normal people not named Slade punch him is the result

His hair should flow like normal hair, but break scissors when someone try to cut it.

#17 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

Not to ruin the fun, but he's not "hard" all the time (giggity). Something about the bio-electric matrixamajiggerthingamasciene covering his cells makes them durable enough to resist/repel the energy transfer that would otherwise damage him. The "hardness" felt when normal people not named Slade punch him is the result

His hair should flow like normal hair, but break scissors when someone try to cut it.

really?

when was all of that explained?

#18 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Aside from the usual joking, his hair in the New 52 is usually free-flowing rather than situated to a single hairstyle as it was in the Pre-52 Universe. Other than that, it usually depends on the artist how they portray his hairstyle.

#19 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget: but shouldn't it take like, super-hurricane winds to move Superman's hair?

#20 Edited by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1: Why would it? Individual hair's are literally almost weightless. Considering Krypontian physiology is nearly identical to human's (exterior wise), I don't see why it should take any effort to do so.

#21 Posted by Impy (123 posts) - - Show Bio

For some reason I had the impression that his hair didn't grow...

Oh yeah, it's those 50's Superman comics getting to me again.

#22 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget:

because his hair is super-hard, it can survive inside the sun, why would winds be able to push it? that's like wind bending steel Girders

#23 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

Super-gel from Super Wal-Mart, for Super people only

#24 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1: His hair isn't super hard nor is his skin. His entire body is protected by his bio-electrical aura that basically sits micrometre's from his body. At least, this was the case in Pre-52.

On top of that, what exactly would the density of his hair have anything to do with resisting the heat of the sun? He's a living solar battery and there's nothing in space to move his hair regardless.

#25 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by logy5000 (5655 posts) - - Show Bio

Same way his cape never comes out when flying faster than light.

#27 Edited by PowerWoman (3332 posts) - - Show Bio

supergirl do it,lol

#28 Posted by Wboy (442 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he's "hard" I mean if he was how would he have facial expressions. It's flexible unpenatrable skin. Also, hair doesn't have muscle so it can't move, I don't see why it would be "hard."

#29 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@wboy said:

I don't think he's "hard" I mean if he was how would he have facial expressions. It's flexible unpenatrable skin. Also, hair doesn't have muscle so it can't move, I don't see why it would be "hard."

facial expressions because his Kryptonian muscles are moving his face

#30 Posted by Wboy (442 posts) - - Show Bio

@wboy said:

If his skin was hard, his face, body, everything would literally crack to pieces because his skin would work AGAINST his facial muscles from movement. So yes, his kryptonian muscles move his face, accompanied by flexible skin.

#31 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@wboy said:

@wboy said:

If his skin was hard, his face, body, everything would literally crack to pieces because his skin would work AGAINST his facial muscles from movement. So yes, his kryptonian muscles move his face, accompanied by flexible skin.

I'm not saying rigid

I mean, hard, like steel cable; it can bend, but bending it is very difficult

#32 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

super hairstyle

#33 Posted by Wboy (442 posts) - - Show Bio

@wboy said:

@wboy said:

I'm not saying rigid

That'd give him severe wrinkles.

#34 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@wboy said:

@wboy said:

@wboy said:

I'm not saying rigid

That'd give him severe wrinkles.

well, it's not a perfect metaphor, but I imagine Kryptonian flesh as something amorphous but very hard to bend in any way

#35 Posted by CapFanboy (4520 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo said:

I agree, it's super hair, that's a real power. @capfanboy has it ;)

Damn right. All wavy and blowing in the wind. Holy crap. I should be Superman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.