Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18886 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

How do you think, is it worth DC change the author of "the New 52. Superman Scott Lobdell?

Avatar image for beautifultemptress
    BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Poll How do you think, is it worth DC change the author of "the New 52. Superman Scott Lobdell? (13 votes)

Yes. 62%
    No. 38%

Judging by the poll conducted by the website ComiXology, comic books about Superman, the author of which is Scott Lobdell, not the most popular.

Please note, which option has a 15%ahead of comic books about superman and the backstory of the game.

• 
    Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

If we went by polls in the Storm Forum, Ororo would be getting her own movie franchise, Live action TV show, animated TV show, and solo comic series ... any day now ....

Why don't you check the actual salesfigures....

Here is a sample for MAY for NA

rankBook TitleIssuePricePublisherEst. Sales
    3Justice Legue20$3.99DC

34Action Comics19$3.99DC

37Superman19$2.99DC

43Earth 212$2.99DC

70Adventures of Superman1$3.99DC

89Injustice Gods Among Us5$3.99DC

145Smallville Season 1112$3.99DC

Go figure, the book that had the highest ratings there has the lowest sales in May by a margin for all the Supermansolos ... A quick scan shows this pattern has held for several months!

Earth 2 does not even have a Superman at the moment ...

BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drgnx: Well, I don't know. I read on different sites comments on account of comic books about Superman of the New 52" and they are mostly negative.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drgnx: Well, I don't know. I read on different sites comments on account of comic books about Superman of the New 52" and they are mostly negative.

What? People complaining on the forums about stuff?

No Caption Provided

:)

Hence why shouldn't take ratios on forums with anything other than a grain of salt... You'd have the man ostracized because of some complains on a forum while he title is selling in the top 40 because people complain in the forums?

Imagine you're in a room with DC executives, someone has these sales figures in front of you showing his title is regularly in the top 40 out 400+ comics from major publishers, are your really going to pull up people complaining on forums as a rebuttal?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@drgnx said:

@beautifultemptress said:

What? People complaining on the forums about stuff?

No Caption Provided

:)

Hence why shouldn't take ratios on forums with anything other than a grain of salt... You'd have the man ostracized because of some complains on a forum while he title is selling in the top 40 because people complain in the forums?

Imagine you're in a room with DC executives, someone has these sales figures in front of you showing his title is regularly in the top 40 out 400+ comics from major publishers, are your really going to pull up people complaining on forums as a rebuttal?

Lobdel's Superman is pretty crap though

BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drgnx: In social networks.And on the forums too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I don't expect everyone to like it. No matter what he does there will be people who don't like it. Even if you replace him, there will be people who don't like the new stuff even if 'you' do. I find people will spend more time complaining about things online, or arguing, than praising things they like (the longest and most infamous threads tend to be the most controversial). But as long as the numbers are there in sales, that's what he will be held to and not forum opinions.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott Lobdell was certainly not the writer Superman needed for the reboot. Now, I'm not saying he's a bad writer. What I'm saying is he is simply an adequate writer. He doesn't (at least in his new52 work) do anything really shocking or out-of-the-box and his stories have been pretty standard fare. Say what you will about Grant Morrison, but at least he gave us an unconventional and interesting book in Action comics. Superman needed someone who could write a more down-to-earth style story and be interesting and unpredictable. I hope that is how Snyder's Superman Unchained will be.

But, yeah I think Lobdell should be replaced with another writer. Either someone established who can make interesting and fun Superman stories like Gail Simone or Geoff Johns or a new passionate writer who will bring new ideas to Superman.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: @beautifultemptress:

My main concern is not that you want to discuss your dislike of his work or even trends you notice on the forums where people might not like he work (discussed in various forums/areas).

The real issue comes when you start posting data that grossly misrepresents the state of things (for instance, someone looking at that poll might think his book is doing worse than Smallville season 11), but more importantly, using this data to discuss whether or not a man should lose his job (and I realize I'm being a stickler).

Anyways, not trying to rain on your parade, the reason I posted the figures was just to give you perspective.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just let Brian Q Miller write both Superman and Smallville.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By sinestro_GL

Lobdell's title isn't bad, it's solid, but it's not fantastic.

For DC's flagship character, this isn't good enough.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hawkguy

Lobdell pushes out books on time and people buy it because... Well... Its Superman. That's all he needs to keep his writing going.

Personally, I'm not the biggest fan. His stories are getting better but he shouldn't be on both Superman and Action Comics

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still believe that Lobdell has had a poor run on Superman, especially as some other people have stated, it being DC's flagship character. I think Lobdell ruined the Superboy book, which in figures was and still is doing poorly, although Justin Jordan has the potential to change that, and the fact he's writing both Superman and Action Comics is astonishing, really enjoying the diverse takes on Superman... I'm so happy that Snyder and Lee brought out Superman Unchained, might be Superman's only current saving grace. But this is just my take on things.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.