Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

How do you guys feel about the Death of Superman?

Supermang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

He'll come back to life somehow eventually.

Supermang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@parachomp: Sorry if I was unclear I meant how did you feel about the story arc if you read it?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kill him again ... by Batman

allend4bbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are books on your list that I enjoyed a lot more than Death of Superman.

Supermang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Supermang

@allend4bbt: Thanks. That's why I was wondering. I know it's one of the most popular Superman stories but was wondering if it was good or not before I decide to buy it? Might I ask why you didn't enjoy it?

allend4bbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't that I didn't enjoy it. There were good points to it. I read the omnibus and it really seemed to drag on. Granted this is a huge book we're talking about, but there were a lot of filler issues. I didn't like the reasoning behind Supes comeback, or how all these other fake Supes showed up to try and replace him. The actual death and lead up was the most enjoyable part for me. I thought it brought a lot of action as well as emotion. It did a good job of showing what Supes meant to this world.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Pretty mediocre imo. There is definitely a lack of substance. The only reason it is still reprinted is because of its historical value. From the three arcs World without Superman is the best. The other only if you have nothing else to read.

These are better overall:

• Camelot Falls
    • Superman adventures (issues 1-52)
    • Kingdom Come
    • Superman: The greatest Stories Ever told vol. 1,2
    • Superman: The Man of Steel - Believe
    • Red Son
    • Back In Action
    • Superman: Peace on Earth
    • Superman: Escape from Bizarro World
    • Superman: Kryptonite
    • Superman: Power Within

Out of curiosity what do you mean with, "I have but not in my collection" if I may ask?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's up guys. I have a list of Superman books that I made of Superman books that I have/read :http://www.comicvine.com/profile/supermang/lists/my-superman-comic-collection-unordered/56815/ and I was always thinking about picking up the Death of Superman story including World Without a Superman and the Return of Superman. I wanted your opinions on whether its worth buying because all together it's expensive and was wondering if it's worth it or not.

While I will say, I was a huge fan of the book before I was even a comic fan (I read the novelization when I was kid, in middle school,) and It's one of my favorite books ever, you could likely borrow it from a Library or something for free. At least the novelization, I mean.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

It was a fun story from back when writers had more freedom, I think (Jurgens can kill him but Diggle can't cut an arm off?). It's nothing brilliant but its a fun afternoon read that makes you feel like a little kid again.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. Nope. That book never never happened. I can't hear you! Lalalalala

Supermang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty mediocre imo. There is definitely a lack of substance. The only reason it is still reprinted is because of its historical value. From the three arcs World without Superman is the best. The other only if you have nothing else to read.

These are better overall:

• Camelot Falls
    • Superman adventures (issues 1-52)
    • Kingdom Come
    • Superman: The greatest Stories Ever told vol. 1,2
    • Superman: The Man of Steel - Believe
    • Red Son
    • Back In Action
    • Superman: Peace on Earth
    • Superman: Escape from Bizarro World
    • Superman: Kryptonite
    • Superman: Power Within

Out of curiosity what do you mean with, "I have but not in my collection" if I may ask?

Thanks for the suggestions! Oh and I meant that I have only read Birthright and New 52 Action comics vol 1 but don't own them.

@scouterv said:

@supermang said:

What's up guys. I have a list of Superman books that I made of Superman books that I have/read :http://www.comicvine.com/profile/supermang/lists/my-superman-comic-collection-unordered/56815/ and I was always thinking about picking up the Death of Superman story including World Without a Superman and the Return of Superman. I wanted your opinions on whether its worth buying because all together it's expensive and was wondering if it's worth it or not.

While I will say, I was a huge fan of the book before I was even a comic fan (I read the novelization when I was kid, in middle school,) and It's one of my favorite books ever, you could likely borrow it from a Library or something for free. At least the novelization, I mean.

Cool never knew there was a novelization I will try and look for it.

Nope. Nope. That book never never happened. I can't hear you! Lalalalala

Haha what didn't you like about it?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the suggestions! Oh and I meant that I have only read Birthright and New 52 Action comics vol 1 but don't own them.

Definitely buy those. They are gems for every collection imo :) And continue with Vol.2 and 3 of Action. Morrison's run is best read as a whole.

Supermang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Supermang
    @squalleon said:

@supermang said:

Definitely buy those. They are gems for every collection imo :) And continue with Vol.2 and 3 of Action. Morrison's run is best read as a whole.

The only reason I stopped was because it started getting confusing after the Brianiac arc. So does it get better because there are lots of mixed reviews on Amazon? Love to hear your opinion. I loved his All Star Superman though.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ignoring the fact superman dies, the story is nothing special, it's just lots of fighting for around 10+ issues, not to mention that there are many 90's heroes in it together with all their current events that it is confusing.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

@supermang said:

The only reason I stopped was because it started getting confusing after the Brianiac arc. So does it get better because there are lots of mixed reviews on Amazon? Love to hear your opinion. I loved his All Star Superman though.

The morrison action comics run gets pretty confusing after that haha, you can only really fully understand it when you get to the end ( don't forget to read the annual before that tho )

Supermang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermang said:
    @squalleon said:

@supermang said:

The morrison action comics run gets pretty confusing after that haha, you can only really fully understand it when you get to the end ( don't forget to read the annual before that tho )

Haha how confusing are we talking? If you say it all makes sense in the end I might just give it another chance.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@2cool4fun said:
    @supermang said:

Haha how confusing are we talking? If you say it all makes sense in the end I might just give it another chance.

Ι won't deny that it is confusing but nowhere as near as people make it out to be. And when you reach the end everything makes sense. But be careful don't speed read it. Take your time, enjoy the story and examine the background. Take NOTHING for granted.

Anyway, for me it is worth it and Morrison's AC run is one of my top 5 favorite Superman stories. Yes it was overly-ambitious but it was fresh, VERY rich in ideas and gave incredibly good backstory to its villains and brought forth classic forgotten ones like Xa-Du.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermang:

Well all are great, interesting, stories. So you'll not regret it.

But seeing how long those events happened and their importance to today's comics, I'd not buy them. I'd still add them to my collection. But buying... Nope.

Supermang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermang said:
    @2cool4fun said:
    @supermang said:

Ι won't deny that it is confusing but nowhere as near as people make it out to be. And when you reach the end everything makes sense. But be careful don't speed read it. Take your time, enjoy the story and examine the background. Take NOTHING for granted.

Anyway, for me it is worth it and Morrison's AC run is one of my top 5 favorite Superman stories. Yes it was overly-ambitious but it was fresh, VERY rich in ideas and gave incredibly good backstory to its villains and brought forth classic forgotten ones like Xa-Du.

At first I was interested in reading the Death of Superman to Return of Superman but based on the feedback I may just skip out on it at least for now, but you and @2cool4fun have got me more curious about how Morrison's Action finishes.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A hero should never die in comics. Disapear through a worm hole , trapped in the past or future , but never die.

In movies or comics.

It kills the movie or the comic and creates a point people just do not want to pick it up again.

If you want to inspire people you create points that expand on the hero but do not make it look bad.

I never even looked at the Death Of Wolverine books because I simply hate the idea of the hero dying.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read the story arc and even got the issue for my niece long ago and a red star two dollar bill.

I had them in my apartment and sadly to say.

Somebody broke in and stole both the red star two dollar bill and the comic.

people amaze me.

But I felt it was not so bad and well done.

I loved it when he got his powers back and it shown him flying. How he just loved to fly.

Supermang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a conspiracy, Goku killed him :p

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.