Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

How do you feel about The Rock's 3rd request?

• 85 results
    SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

The third thing — and most important — is he had to be a badass mother***ker, okay, and on a Superman level of power, where could throw down.

I think most people agree he's going to play a hero so this (along with his other demands) has me nervous. I know it's childish but I don't want more people to over shadow Superman (cue the Batman jokes) so early in the franchise. And by the sounds of his requests it sounds like he wants power and the total character package. How do you guys feel about his requests?

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What are the first two demands?

And meh, never really liked Dwayne Johnson.

bgibs13390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bgibs13390

He would make a bad ass Black Adam

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: its not really a superman franchise anymore anyway so let him be overshadowed

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What are the first two demands?

And meh, never really liked Dwayne Johnson.

You didn't read the CV article? Link

Yes, but that's a villain.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: but seriously superman has at least two superheroes showing up in his next movie. And one of them is Batman. Its now a justice league franchise in progress. It would be different if batman and wonder woman weren't in the movie but the fact that the only important members of the league are in the movie kinda takes it away from Superman

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SanoHibiki

@saint_wildcard:

You didn't read the CV article?

I skipped part with demands to the character.

I can (barely) imagine him as a Black Adam or most likely Lobo, John Stewart – there my imagination fall short. Problem that I can’t see both Black Adam/Lobo as fitting for BM vs SM in the first place. Lobo is an exaggerated cosmic bounty hunter/biker; Black Adam is basically magic-powered Kryptonian rip-off. What are they planning to do with such massive cast in movie that should deal more with Batman/Superman/Lex (unless it will be only cameo)?

Personally, I’m in position “wait and see how it goes”.

Avatar image for marionettegeist
    Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Marionettegeist

@jayc1324 said:

@saint_wildcard: but seriously superman has at least two superheroes showing up in his next movie. And one of them is Batman. Its now a justice league franchise in progress. It would be different if batman and wonder woman weren't in the movie but the fact that the only important members of the league are in the movie kinda takes it away from Superman

I think he's going to be the point-of-view character, more than anything. So f***, pile it on there. I'm ready for the JL already anyway, so long as it's done right.

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

you think so? I think he's too thick for Adam. I always imagined Adam as a relatively slender guy.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SaintWildcard

@jayc1324 said:

The overshadow him for different reasons. Batman.... cus he's Batman and WW cus it's her first appearance on the big screen. But I just don't want a hero to have Superman level powers this early in the franchise. Maybe after the first JL, but what good is Superman if not the strongest of the bunch?

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard:

He's still the leader, and the day saver. And I doubt DC would allow Rock to play a character that just makes Superman useless.....I can't even think of a character who does. The Rock is just talking out his arse

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@sanohibiki: He is not a kryptonian rip off. If anything, kryptonians are rip offs of the gods, Adam is empowered by gods, not aliens. Gods > kryptonians. The gods would slaughter the kryptonians, the martians would enslave them with their telepathy.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen:

He is not a kryptonian rip off.

In terms of character creation and visuals – yes, he is rip-off.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@sanohibiki: And Superman is a Hugo Danner rip off. It could be argued that the powerset of kryptonians are just seperate powers plucked from different gods. Besides, Superman should not be generalized to kryptonians. Very few kryptonians can beat Black Adam. Superman is more powerful than the other kryptonians, who pale in comparison to him.

'Visuals' is hardly a rip off. They do not even look remotely similar.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: superman doesn't have to be the strongest to be the best. He is still the leader and the one who inspires hope. And it would be awesome to have someone challenge superman

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard:

He's still the leader, and the day saver. And I doubt DC would allow Rock to play a character that just makes Superman useless.....I can't even think of a character who does. The Rock is just talking out his arse

If The Rock had just said he is gonna be in the DCMU I would have be stoked, Marvel might have RDJ and Hiddelston but we have a Rock (been wanting to use that line) but the fact that he said those demands makes me think that WB might fold and have a scene where his character throws down with Superman and it's equal or even worse he wins. If he get's cast as a villain all is well but something about him being cast as hero with that 3rd demand has me worried. But I'll hope for the best I guess.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@frozen:

He is not a kryptonian rip off.

How? He looks and acts nothing like Superman

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@saint_wildcard: Zod was smacking Superman around. Black Adam would only do worse to Superman, unless DC decide to nerf Adam (which is unlikely if you've read stories like WW3). I do not see Adam being used at all. Probably Doomsday, either way - Superman is going to take some form of a beating in the sequel, I would not surprised if it was from Batman (it would be nice to see a DKR homage, but not that homage, I'd prefer a team up instead).

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@saint_wildcard: superman doesn't have to be the strongest to be the best. He is still the leader and the one who inspires hope. And it would be awesome to have someone challenge superman

As comic book readers most of us know that the Flash or Martian Manhunter can beat Superman, but the general public isn't as hip to that as us. I understand that WW will be the better fighter, Flash will be faster Aquaman will have more shirtless scenes. We don't need more characters to come in and try to humble Superman (Zod did most of that already). As a villain he can be stronger than Superman but we don't need anymore bricks this early in the DCMU.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@saint_wildcard said:

@jayc1324 said:

As comic book readers most of us know that the Flash or Martian Manhunter can beat Superman, but the general public isn't as hip to that as us. I understand that WW will be the better fighter, Flash will be faster Aquaman will have more shirtless scenes. We don't need more characters to come in and try to humble Superman (Zod did most of that already). As a villain he can be stronger than Superman but we don't need anymore bricks this early in the DCMU.

So what else is there? Superman isn't going to be saving kittens. It's clear there will only be more action, just done differently.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: I think we need more people to challenge superman overall including heroes. You probably disagree but I think that makes superman much more interesting to see him have to fight hard and overcome.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SaintWildcard

@frozen said:

@saint_wildcard said:

@jayc1324 said:

So what else is there? Superman isn't going to be saving kittens. It's clear there will only be more action, just done differently.

I don't get what you mean.

@jayc1324 said:

@saint_wildcard: I think we need more people to challenge superman overall including heroes. You probably disagree but I think that makes superman much more interesting to see him have to fight hard and overcome.

Wrong, my favorite arc was his Jeans and Shirt years and I created this beauty. If he got cast as MM I wouldnt have said anything, it's just that he said that 3rd demand that has me worried.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen:

And Superman is a Hugo Danner rip off. It could be argued that the powerset of kryptonians are just seperate powers plucked from different gods.

I’m not talking from in-universe point of view – I’m talking that practically all flying superstrong invulnerable characters with additional powers would be in some sense Superman rip-offs, after all, he was the first.

Besides, Superman should not be generalized to kryptonians.

What that supposed to mean? Physiologically Clark/Kal-El is a perfectly normal Kryptonian, just raised on our planet.

@frozen:

'Visuals' is hardly a rip off. They do not even look remotely similar.

@sanohibiki said:

How? He looks and acts nothing like Superman

Kryptonian rip-off, not Superman’. Take MOS final fight, Zod after taking off his armor, change his house logo on lighting emblem, skin color, hairstyle, add a couple of energy discharges – and we getting Black Adam here.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Martian Manhunter.I hope i'm wrong though

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: so you specifically don't want black Adam to challenge superman?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@sanohibiki: Ok I would like to point out that superman is not the first super hero nor was he the first super strong flying hero either, both Captain Marvel and Namor did it before him.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The third thing — and most important — is he had to be a badass mother***ker, okay, and on a Superman level of power, where could throw down.

I think most people agree he's going to play a hero so this (along with his other demands) has me nervous. I know it's childish but I don't want more people to over shadow Superman (cue the Batman jokes) so early in the franchise. And by the sounds of his requests it sounds like he wants power and the total character package. How do you guys feel about his requests?

I. What are the other demands.

II. I think making it possible for Jon Stewart to go toe to toe with Superman would be sweet.

III. I'd like to ask more but I am in a rush.

tootles. (+)

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@sanohibiki:

• So? Superman was the first to be introduced in comics who was superstrong or had superspeed, but Adam's powers are based on mythical gods. He bares no resemblance to Superman. He has the strength of Amun and the swiftness of Heru. These are egyptian gods, Superman does not claim the right to these powers because he's an alien. Captain Marvel and Namor could fly before Superman

• Kal-El is now superior to other kryptonians because of other kryptonians being introduced. He has absorbed more Yellow Sunlight on Earth and is depicted as stronger because he's Superman. He trumps other kryptonians
    • Black Adam was created in 1945. General Zod was created in 1961. Adam is not ripping off Zod
    frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@jonny_anonymous said:

@sanohibiki: Ok I would like to point out that superman is not the first super hero nor was he the first super strong flying hero either, both Captain Marvel and Namor did it before him.

Adam's powers are related to gods that were worshipped years before Superman's conception. I do not see how Superman owns them.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@saint_wildcard: so you specifically don't want black Adam to challenge superman?

I've already stated that's a villain. I'm okay with villains beating Superman. My problem is his 3rd demand. It makes it sound like he want's to beat or match Superman in a fight in the movie... just because. If he had gotten cast as MM and in the movie they tied I would have been okay with it but his line comes of as arrogant to me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: OK I just read the op and I see what you mean now. I would be OK with Shazam challenging superman too

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard said:

I. What are the other demands.

II. I think making it possible for Jon Stewart to go toe to toe with Superman would be sweet.

III. I'd like to ask more but I am in a rush.

tootles. (+)

And other person who hasn't read the article -____________-

Here's the article

Jon Steward being as strong as Superman is stupid, he's just a comedian/news reporter.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 frozen  Moderator
    Avatar image for SuperStar_sketcher
    SuperStar_sketcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Didnt read...

No Caption Provided

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@saint_wildcard: It's more likely he'll play someone like Black Adam or Lobo. A hero is something many people would be hard pressed as seeing the Rock play as. Certainly a DC comics superhero.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SaintWildcard

@jayc1324 said:

@saint_wildcard: OK I just read the op and I see what you mean now. I would be OK with Shazam challenging superman too

He would make a great New 52 Shazam. A cocky kid with a ton of power. That being said I want them to play out the fact that he's still a kid inside and inexperienced

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 frozen  Moderator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: So do I. But that scan is kind of misleading. They both got good hits on each other in that trinity war fight

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SaintWildcard

@frozen said:

@saint_wildcard said:

@frozen said:

@saint_wildcard: Jon Stewart should be at Superman level.

No he shouldn't.

Yes he should. He should have the tools to dispose of him.

Only if he made Superman laugh himself to death

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@saint_wildcard: It's more likely he'll play someone like Black Adam or Lobo. A hero is something many people would be hard pressed as seeing the Rock play as. Certainly a DC comics superhero.

I'd be find with either. I just hope they don't go with that idea they had for a Lobo movie.

@jayc1324 said:

@saint_wildcard: So do I. But that scan is kind of misleading. They both got good hits on each other in that trinity war fight

Point is I'll be fine with Shazam landing a punch and it hurting Superman but I don't want him to beat him. Experience FTW

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jon Steward being as strong as Superman is stupid, he's just a comedian/news reporter.

No Caption Provided

(+)

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

1. Superman still was created before either Captain Marvel (if you’re talking about Billy Batson) or Namor.

2. Despite flying before Superman, Cap’s character still was created by Faucett Publications only after witnessing Superman success, later sued by National Comics for copyright infringement, thus making him a Superman’s rip-off.

3. I don’t even know why you used Namor as example here. He doesn’t belong into category of “flying human-looking superstrong juggernauts”; he is more like a “superpowered merman” and “flying winged person”.

@frozen:

Adam has the strength of Amun and the swiftness of Heru. These are egyptian gods, Superman does not claim the right to these powers because he's an alien.

Opposite also is true. Egyptian Pantheon does not claim the right to those powers.

Superman was the first to be introduced in comics who was superstrong or had superspeed, but Adam's powers are based on mythical gods. He bares no resemblance to Superman.

Putting aside source of their powers, let’s see:

Strength,

Speed,

Invulnerability,

Endurance,

Flight,

Advanced intellectual capabilities (when they actually used),

Heightened senses (in New-52 Adam seems to have something like that),

Additional powers (Kryptonians – heat vision, Adam, Captain Marvel – lightings).

You’re right; there is no resemblance at all.

depicted as stronger because he's Superman. He trumps other kryptonians

I don’t see anything legitimate in this argument.

Kal-El is now superior to other kryptonians because of other kryptonians being introduced. He has absorbed more Yellow Sunlight on Earth

Depends on writer and really inconsistent. Pretty often Kryptonians reaching Superman power levels in rather short period of time (from minutes to month), Chris Kent were much stronger than Clark in this age; in Flashpoint Clark himself absorbed sunlight probably less than a minute, but already got flight and heat vision, etc.

Black Adam was created in 1945. General Zod was created in 1961. Adam is not ripping off Zod

I said already, in terms of character stereotype and visuals of their theoretical fight.

Superman vs Captain Marvel

Superman vs Zod

Change Marvel on Adam and then tell me that there nothing similar.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanohibiki: that doesn't make him a rip off that just makes DC assholes for sueing a smaller company when they knew they could get away with it, the Marvel Fameily had there powers first FACT and clearly you know nothing about Manor, the wings on his ankles are not what allows him to fly.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@sanohibiki: The Egypitan gods have a better claim to that power than Superman. They were worshiped thousands of years before Superman was created. They have a better claim to those powers.

Let's have a look at Adam's powers, and notignore the source of them.

• Strength of Amun - an Egyptian god. A power to which Superman does not own
    • Speed of Heru - Another Egyptian god, to which Superman does not own
    • Invulnerability/power of Aten - To which he gains invulnerability, to which Superman did not create
    • Endurance of Shu - Which gives him near unlimited stamina
    • Flight - falls under the power of Aten

It's just as easy as me arguing that Superman's individual kryptonian powers are plucked from individual gods, or Hugo Danner. Danner's abilities:

• Strength
    • Speed
    • High jumping (adapted to leap jumping)
    • Impervious to artillery fire

Superman's creators actually read Danner's novel in 1932 and wrote reviews upon it. Danner's inspiration came from the greek gods. Danner was a fictional character created before Superman for a fictional novel, with similar powers to Superman.

No Caption Provided

Intelligence is not a Superman trait either.

Lightning is not a rip off either. It's how he transforms.

Depends on writer and really inconsistent. Pretty often Kryptonians reaching Superman power levels in rather short period of time (from minutes to month), Chris Kent were much stronger than Clark in this age; in Flashpoint Clark himself absorbed sunlight probably less than a minute, but already got flight and heat vision, etc.

It's more consistent that Superman is more powerful, and to be honest that's how it should be. It is more often than not emphasized he has absorbed more Yellow Sunlight and writers genuinely write him to be stronger.

I don’t see anything legitimate in this argument.

It's completely legitimate. Superman is emphasized as the most important kryptonian and is given the better feats. He has speed-blitzed a kryptonian army and used pressure points on other kryptonians. He is just bound by morals.

I said already, in terms of character stereotype and visuals of their theoretical fight.

Lol, that is a dodgy comparison. General Zod was created years after Adam or Marvel.

In some stories, Superman has been compared 'to the gods' - Aliens do not have the claim to super strength or super speed, the gods have a better claim to that. Years before Superman's conception, there were (and still are) texts that detail the abilities of mythical gods. I suppose Thor is a Superman rip off too?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@jonny_anonymous: Superman ripped off a character (Hugo Danner), Danner was inspired by mythical gods (the greek gods). DC sued because Captain Marvel outsold them, that is why they made the Golden Age Superman more powerful, to catch up to Captain Marvel.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I like how this thread started as a jab at The Rock's childish 3rd request in his contract, and now it's a debate on whether Black Adam was a rip-off of Superman or not.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think he will be a hero.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By dernman

Black Adam shouldn't be more powerful than Captain Marvel because they are the opposites in light and dark.. He should just more ruthless.

Superman in just my opinion should be the most powerful because it plays into many of the themes involving Superman. People more powerful than Superman would be characters like Darkseid. People not really in the middle but the big bad at the end. Logically many of these themes running in a shared Superman comic universe do not make sense because he is not.

I think it would be easy for them to make it happen in the movies. I believe they will do so. I don't see Black Adam or Captain Marvel being in the films even if he was it wouldn't be anytime soon. They just have too much in common.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.