Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

How do you feel about Kryptonite?

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Eternal19

Are you for it? or are you against it?

Personally, Im kinda torn on the use of kryptonite, because it tends to be misused. Lazy writers who cant think of how to create a credible threat for supes may try to throw it in every other issue and it begins to get annoying. But on the other hand, their are plenty of good superman stories that use kryptonite. Plus the fact that when people think of superman they think of kryptonite. I guess im for it as long as writers use it as sparingly as possible

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By the_tree

I love it when it's not misused. I'm also a big fan of the multiple different colors of it.

No Caption Provided
    moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By moywar700

It was heavily misused in Smallville.That rock was everyone.A girl wore it around her neck as a necklace and there kryptonite chewing gum.Some people even got random powers from going near it.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By colonyofcells

I prefer to get rid of kryptonite like what Denny tried to do in the bronze age with the kryptonite no more story or retcon kryptonite out of the mythology. Another way is to retain kryptonite as a power source in deadly kryptonian weapons used against Superman. So Kryptonite can be a power source that was invented in Krypton and powers many kryptonian weapons. That Superman can be hurt by kryptonian weapons makes more sense to me. In the silver age, Superman could be hurt by weapons from krypton since everything from krypton was super including the material used for the cape. For other weaknesses, things like Inertron can be used in weapons or in shields. The weakness to red sun radiation and magic are also dumb and best to retcon them out.

iHailCarlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By iHailCarlo

It doesn't hurt me as much as it hurts Superman, so I'm cool with it.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    I hated it in Smallville. Like someone said, it was everywhere.
    comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By comicace3

It deserves to be in the DC universe... It makes superman feel.... Like he's not overpowered... I also found out there is a pink kryptonite that makes superman gay for a day... The writers can't hide everything from the immortal supes...

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ComicStooge

@comicace3 said:

It deserves to be in the DC universe... It makes superman feel.... Like he's not overpowered... I also found out there is a pink kryptonite that makes superman gay for a day... The writers can't hide everything from the immortal supes...

Supes isn't overpowered at all, when you look at the DCU as a whole.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dondave

What I don't get is how Kryptonite even gets to earth without Superman noticing?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By joshmightbe

@dondave: the Earth is pretty much constantly bombarded with debris from all over the cosmos, no one not even Superman could track it all, plus most of it arrived on Earth at pretty much the same time he did When he was a baby

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dondave

@joshmightbe: Oh Cool

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

As long as it isn't used too often, I'm fine with it.

Avatar image for the_jackolantern
    The_jackolantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_jackolantern

Has kryptonite turnt up in the new 52 yet?i don't remember seeing in but then again I have only read half grant Morrisons run on action(until he finishes cause I prefer he's stuff to read in one go as it makes more sense),read all of superman and only superboy and super girl h'ell cross overs. Anyone remember seeing it?

War07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By War07

@The_jackolantern: Yes it has it is in Action Comics Annual #1!

Skunkstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Skunkstein

How have kryptonite been used in the New 52? I only remember it being mentioned by the anti-superman army, but not used, right?

I wonder what kind of changes they made to it.

I like kryptonite though, its a fun little gimmick, if the writer is creative enough it can be used in a million ways.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Gambit1024

I think that rules for its effects should be established.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By waezi2

I like kryptonite, but it is true that it can be used by lazy wrighters. But then again, it can be funny in 60s comics. LOL. Does anyone remember that story where Batman and Robin saves Sups from a gang of guys with kryptonite-guns?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

#19  Edited By TDK_1997

I like it but sometimes writers use it for the heck of it and it is used badly.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By joshmightbe

@Gambit1024: Green Kryptonite has been the only form which has always been pretty much the same, kills kryptonians, gives humans cancer after prolonged exposure and the occasional mutation here and there but lets be honest in comics anything that emits radiation has mutated someone.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Gambit1024

^ I know that, but the effects are also inconsistently written. Like, is it instantaneous? Is it the quantity? How far away does it have to be before it effects a Kryptoinian? Etc.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
    YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

A highly underrated and misused item and plot device as of now. I mean, Superman is practically immune to it, and it isn't even used often anymore (which is a good and bad thing).

However, the problem is, when it is used, it is often viewed as a small item that doesn't even hurt the Man of Steel anymore. Also, in years where Kryptonite is used a lot, the villain always says "this is the rarest substance on Earth!" and yet they use vast amounts of it every other issue.

I feel as if the Animated features depict Kryptonite at its best. At small amounts, lethal, but also easy to destroy and valuable.

Superboy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Superboy101

I really good example of kryptonite being misused is the movie Superman Returns, a small shard of kryptonite nearly killed him, then five min later he's lifting up an entire island of kryptonite into space..

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Skewer

To me it makes sense. He gets his powers from a yellow sun, powerless under a red sun. It makes sense, I just wish they were more consistent with it, we don't want to see him taken down with one that's the size of a penny or have him lift out an entire island made of that stuff and don't get me started on how we were bashed over the head with it in smallville.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By PowerHerc

It doesn't affect me. I'm not Kryptonian.

zeejaybay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zeejaybay

Ugh no! Superman has too many weaknesses!

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly it was invented so they could make an excuse for why the Superman radio show was not on when the cast took a break. Its very invention is an in story device to cover up the radio cast taking a break, now comic writers use it to do the same, only they still get paid.

Oh, I went there!

@moywar700 said:

It was heavily misused in Smallville.That rock was everyone.A girl wore it around her neck as a necklace and there kryptonite chewing gum.Some people even got random powers from going near it.

@The Stegman said:

I hated it in Smallville. Like someone said, it was everywhere.

@TDK_1997 said:

I like it but sometimes writers use it for the heck of it and it is used badly.

It really should be Very rare, like a few rocks, or Kryptonite-man having the majority of it.

spetsnaz_gru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By spetsnaz_gru

I like Kryptonite... But it has been a tool for one my most hated actions in all of comicdom. And I don't mean villains using it to defeat Superman. I meant it's one of the biggest weapon those ignorant Bat-fanboys, especially those who haven't read Hush, use to claim their boy Bats can beat Superman.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deaditegonzo

Im over Kryptonite. Thor and SS are Marvels most powerful characters, whats their weaknesses? Oh neither one has one. Why does Supes need one.

And I think the Magic vulnerability is stupid. It just makes no sense whatsoever. Why is it more effective against him than a normal assault? Does he suddenly stop being an invulnerable alien demigod in the presence of magic? Why would that even be. In the Pre52, they tried to get rid of that, and explain it in the only way that made ANY sense, by saying he simply didnt understand magic (being a man of science) and so it was mostly psychological, so Zatanna or somebody (I forget who) trains him to resist magic (which I guess entailed her explaining what 'Magic' is?).

Anyway, all Kryptonite should be destroyed, the military should realize it is more toxic to humans than even Superman (Duh!) and shot down all their weapons divisions involving it. Kryptonite Man (who was rebooted well) and a more recognizable John Corben/Metallo (who was easily one of my faves when I first watched TAS Superman [my intro to the character]) should be the only sources of Kryptonite left in the whole Galaxy. And since theyve already established that Kryptonite Man basically hungers for Kryptonite, you basically have an epic arc right there: Kryptonite Man vs Superman vs Metallo, all of whom want Metallo's Kryptonite Heart.

Take Batmans stupid Kryptonite ring too, there is literally nothing he can do with it anyway, maybe have Supes give it to Diana as a sign of total trust and faith and commitment (since she could ACTUALLY stop him).

Edit: Still good with red sun radiation, in fact I like how the different intensity's of stars effect him differently (more intense = greater, more versatile powers). However, I would stick with the standard, "starts to run out of juice under red sun radiation" rather than the instant on and off switch for his powers, because we're getting rid of Kryptonite for that very reason!

Basically, AMP his villains, built tense situations and drama, stop bouncing Superman's power all over the place for the sake of other characters. When Batman is the only who can handle a situation, say the Joker, nobody complains that Wonder Woman doesnt get to jump in and be useful, so why should everyone have to look good when a power house who is out of their league, say Mongul, comes to Earth and its up to Supes to break some faces?

JohnReese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JohnReese

Magic is a stupid weakness,only he hast hat and no other powerful character in DC has it which is so weird.Kryptonite is another I dont get,if its toxic to Superman it surely must be super dupr toxic to anyone else,right?

The Red Sun radiation,I agree with the poster above.It would reduce the intensity of his powers,not just take it like a switch.Superman has had ot live with some terrible writers,making hi mweaker just for the sake of it.Hopefully DcNu takes a better angle to this weakness locker he has that not even a normal human can match.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By colonyofcells

I prefer to use kryptonite as the krypton super energy source for super weapons. So Superman can use a kryptonian shotgun powered by krptonite energy and blow off the head of General Zod.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BlackWind

Long as it isn't common as rocks and every villain has a mountain o it, I'm okay with it.

TheDude123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheDude123

I think it is kind of lame that it affects Superman like that but the name is awesome. Reading or hearing it always reminds me of this:

Big_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Big_Nasty

They should really stress the idea that kyptonite is rare and not everyone has access to it.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sethysquare

Kryptonite = ouch, radioactive stones are painful.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.