His powers discussion

#1 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11571 posts) - - Show Bio

Firstly i just wanted to know...when has he ever used the power of Super Smell?

No bad jokes please

#2 Posted by Superboy-Prime 10000 (412 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by fesak (8488 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't Superman just make up any power? It certainly seems so.

#4 Posted by the creator (8546 posts) - - Show Bio

fesak says:

"Can't Superman just make up any power? It certainly seems so."

Back in the 1980's with the 'relaunch' of DC Universe (after Crisis on Infinite Earths), along with several other comic book publishers, there was a drive to make the characters more 'realistsic' - to provide more psuedo science explanations for their powers or to put facts and figures to them i.e. how strong, how fast, the defined extent of their powers - even to the extent of the lbs weight pull on Hawkeyes various bows.

At the same time I think that comic book audiences got a little tougher in what they would accept - so heroes where tighter in their uses of powers, making them stay within the rationale of the psuedo science.

Therefore today there would hopefully be alot less issue with the writers simply making up the super power of the week as there once was.

#5 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11571 posts) - - Show Bio

Superboy-Prime 10000 says:

"He has use it to smell a dynamite before.Superman is also able to pinpoint the exact location of Lois Lane by the smell of her perfume while Superman is standing on a skyscraper.
" />http://supermanica.info/wiki/index.php/Superman#Miscellaneous_Powers"

I'll look, but don't trust wiki these days.

The_Creator says:

"fesak says:
"Can't Superman just make up any power? It certainly seems so."

Back in the 1980's with the 'relaunch' of DC Universe (after Crisis on Infinite Earths), along with several other comic book publishers, there was a drive to make the characters more 'realistsic' - to provide more psuedo science explanations for their powers or to put facts and figures to them i.e. how strong, how fast, the defined extent of their powers - even to the extent of the lbs weight pull on Hawkeyes various bows.

At the same time I think that comic book audiences got a little tougher in what they would accept - so heroes where tighter in their uses of powers, making them stay within the rationale of the psuedo science.

Therefore today there would hopefully be alot less issue with the writers simply making up the super power of the week as there once was.

"

I prefer an explanation into how and why the power works.

#6 Posted by the creator (8546 posts) - - Show Bio

Supreme Marvel says:

"I prefer an explanation into how and why the power works."

So do I

#7 Posted by Sling Shot (3859 posts) - - Show Bio

SO! DO! I!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.