Has Superman used his heat vision in a vacuum?

#1 Posted by lightsout (1811 posts) - - Show Bio

Space, or any other vacuum. I'm curious because if he has then that debunks any "scientific explanation" (of his powers) that explains the heat-vision as telekinetically heating up air molecules (down a line), or one I read in an actual science "report" that hypothesized it worked like a CO2 laser (psionically), since there's abundant CO2 in the air.

#2 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1169 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe it works the same way the suns rays reach earth,heat can travel through a vacuum....his body converts his stored solar energy and projects it through his eyes(comic logic) and he can probably polarize those rays.

#3 Posted by Teerack (4550 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightsout: It shouldn't matter if he's in a vacuum because he isn't heating up the molecules around him to make a beam. His eye beams are lasers which are super focused light. Which is why we can use a laser in space or any other kind of vacuum. But that would just be the logical explanation if his eye beams were actual lasers. If it really does say that he heats up the air molecules some where then that's just an example of a comic writer not caring about the science of things. Although I highly doubt that because if they did work that way it would also make the way he uses his heat vision to do microscopic things impossible.

Yay Science!

#4 Posted by AtPhantom (14472 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightsout said:

Space, or any other vacuum. I'm curious because if he has then that debunks any "scientific explanation" (of his powers) that explains the heat-vision as telekinetically heating up air molecules (down a line), or one I read in an actual science "report" that hypothesized it worked like a CO2 laser (psionically), since there's abundant CO2 in the air.

Wait, who the hell explained his heat vision that way? That completely runs contrary to how heat vision looks and acts.

#5 Posted by ssejllenrad (12783 posts) - - Show Bio

Guys post the scan of him warming the whole planet with it! Im on mobile and it's a chore posting links. Hehe!

#6 Edited by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Edited by lightsout (1811 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack said:

@lightsout: It shouldn't matter if he's in a vacuum because he isn't heating up the molecules around him to make a beam. His eye beams are lasers which are super focused light. Which is why we can use a laser in space or any other kind of vacuum. But that would just be the logical explanation if his eye beams were actual lasers. If it really does say that he heats up the air molecules some where then that's just an example of a comic writer not caring about the science of things. Although I highly doubt that because if they did work that way it would also make the way he uses his heat vision to do microscopic things impossible.

Yay Science!

But, that would mean his eyes would contain the same mechanism as a laser - and that wouldn't be conducive to an organ designed for sight. (He didn't get new organs/structures from the yellow sun, he had everything Kryptonians already have, and I think they'd have some variation of rods & cones in their eyes). And for the other reasoning I mentioned (CO2 laser), a vacuum would be absent of the gas-fuel (the beam fires through space, but the unit is contained & uses gas**. Supes eye would be exposed to vacuum). The psionically super-heating the gas (or at least pisonically manipulating gas to produce a laser) would actually be "best" in that it could allow for a "grand unification" of his powers. I got behind that theory after seeing these scans posted on CV one time (about BOOM character Plutonian)

**(I have no idea what kind of lasers are used in space, I'm just using the proposed laser I read about (a CO2 laser) & why Supes' eye working as one would not be exactly the same as one being used aboard a ship in space).

Yea, I thought "it's just releasing stored energy" thing might come up. That's the simplest explanation (if you don't care to attempt to bring (pseudo-)science into it).....I can't imagine he could see with stored energy flooding out from his eye-cells. Also, I'd wonder why he doesn't release energy from other cells (hands, etc). And that's on top of the whole it-can't-be-just-solar-energy thing (due to the actual energy in solar radiation, and the physical maximum amount that could touch his skin - it would take much too long to acquire the amount of energy needed for just one of his amazing feats (if he was simply absorbing & re-putting out solar energy). It's likely something in our sun (not present (/as abundant) in a red-sun...perhaps UV) is the catalyst to a reaction in his cells, and the energy used comes from some more convoluted method (...and he can somehow store it somewhere, given he's away from the sun & still powered).

I guess it comes down to one of those "it's a comic" things. Writers aren't thinking about that sort of thing, and all it takes is 1 example to ruin possible theories (ie: if no one had showed Supes using it in a vacuum, these other theories could hold up) - because then someone can say "but this scene was cannon so it makes your reasoning false!!". Damn my brain wanting explanations!

Thanks for the scan though :)

#8 Posted by Teerack (4550 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightsout: Not really. The main purpose of the eyes is to reflect light so our brain can register it. It's not that crazy with all that superman can do to assume that his eyes have the ability to super charge and focus the light that is being reflected in the lenses of his eyes.

#9 Posted by toptom (1140 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightsout said:

that is for a PLUTONIAN , not for a kryptonian

#10 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2169 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman shoots energy blasts from his eyes that are hot. That's all the science there is to it.

#11 Posted by lightsout (1811 posts) - - Show Bio

@toptom said:

@lightsout said:

that is for a PLUTONIAN , not for a kryptonian

That's his name, not his race - and the point is just to show that it is possible to explain/unify a superman-like collection of powers with pseudo/comic science

Yea, but what's the fun in that? Doesn't hurt to come up with theories & such.

#12 Posted by ssejllenrad (12783 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightsout said:

Yea, but what's the fun in that? Doesn't hurt to come up with theories & such.

And Teerack just supplied you with a plausible theory... Which you might have overlooked, seeing that you didn't address it .

#13 Posted by magnusalpha (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Kryptonian physiology reacts to yellow sunlight as an energy battery. Strength, stamina, etc. But the most interesting power to me is his heat vision. There have been a few theories thrown around in this discussion, but they all sound silly to me. It's not lasers, it's not telekinesis exciting molecules. It's just a concentrated form of solar flares, sending out part of the energy he's absorbed from our sun.

#14 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3318 posts) - - Show Bio

Are you saying infrared radiation doesn't travel in a vacuum?

#15 Edited by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

Yay Science!

LOL Awesome!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.