Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Hang on, superman can drain solar energy from other people!?

Avatar image for breakingthrones
    BreakingThrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In these scans he absorbs solar energy to amp himself from someone he's fighting:

Is this legit? Can someone explain if this is something he can actually do?

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you read the whole issue the energy in question is some kinds bio-organically produced solar energy that keeps on building and building, Rampage the woman in the above scans was growing massive with energy and at some point would explode. I don't think superman increased the rate he absorbs energy or actively drained her, but the energy transferred into his body faster, probably the way his body processes it made him a more capable/less limited host. That's my interpretation of it.

BreakingThrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you read the whole issue the energy in question is some kinds bio-organically produced solar energy that keeps on building and building, Rampage the woman in the above scans was growing massive with energy and at some point would explode. I don't think superman increased the rate he absorbs energy or actively drained her, but the energy transferred into his body faster, probably the way his body processes it made him a more capable/less limited host. That's my interpretation of it.

Ah I see.

The thing is, I only thought he could absorb solar energy from the sun?

Does this mean he could potentially absorb solar energy from another kryptonian?

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ultimatesmfan said:

Ah I see.

Does this mean he could potentially absorb solar energy from another kryptonian?

He was able to absorb Apollo's (Greek god of the sun) energy blasts, so theoretically he could absorb pure solar energy from outside source's, in JL TAS he was able to be powered up by an artificial solar generator Vandal Savage made. I doubt he could do it to members of his own people and to do so risks a problem. If Superman can drain Zod, why can't Zod drain Superman? Endless loop of two guys holding each other passing energy back and forth.

Not as thrilling compared to seeing two Titan's go all out in a epic clash of good vs. evil.

BreakingThrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breakingthrones said:
    @ultimatesmfan said:

Ah I see.

He was able to absorb Apollo's (Greek god of the sun) energy blasts, so theoretically he could absorb pure solar energy from outside source's, in JL TAS he was able to be powered up by an artificial solar generator Vandal Savage made. I doubt he could do it to members of his own people and to do so risks a problem. If Superman can drain Zod, why can't Zod drain Superman? Endless loop of two guys holding each other passing energy back and forth.

Not as thrilling compared to seeing two Titan's go all out in a epic clash of good vs. evil.

True but I just figured that as superman has spent so long under a yellow sun he might have more developed skills and abilities.

I suppose it could mean he could absorb solar energy from heat vision potentially.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breakingthrones: Heat vision's effects on other kryptoian's is dependent on writer. In some stuff it hurts them, that is just how damn hot it is. Other times they can block it with their hands and just stand there going "DENIED!" or a mix in the middle where they can block for a few seconds but generally need to counterattack.

I think heat vision is processed solar energy, so I do not think it is pure enough to absorb.

BreakingThrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breakingthrones: Heat vision's effects on other kryptoian's is dependent on writer. In some stuff it hurts them, that is just how damn hot it is. Other times they can block it with their hands and just stand there going "DENIED!" or a mix in the middle where they can block for a few seconds but generally need to counterattack.

I think heat vision is processed solar energy, so I do not think it is pure enough to absorb.

There's no reason it would hurt them due to just heat when they can bathe literally in the sun. I've heard explanations such as it having an effect on a molecular level. It was capable of hurting HP doomsday too.

Yeah sometimes it seems underpowered though and sometimes overpowered such as blocking Darkseid's omega beams

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titanbreaker said:

There's no reason it would hurt them due to just heat when they can bathe literally in the sun. I've heard explanations such as it having an effect on a molecular level. It was capable of hurting HP doomsday too.

Yeah sometimes it seems underpowered though and sometimes overpowered such as blocking Darkseid's omega beams

Never think it should be that powerful, Omega beams should be top tier attack. Heat vision while devastating should not be able to compete against that otherwise we get could every Kryptonian block the might Darkseid's power?

For the underpowered thing you could argue that as it is the most draining of a Kryptonian's powers Superman used is sparingly as he wants to conserve energy for later on in the fight, or he was holding back.

P.S Zod vs. Darkseid I wanna see that.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Ι don't think it has been explicitly said but Superman has transferred his energy in various occasions.

• In TDKR he drained the Solar energy from the plants
    • In Final Crisis he transferred his energy into the miracle machine
    • And finally the Solar flare isn't anything else but violent release of his energy.
    BreakingThrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breakingthrones said:
    @titanbreaker said:

Never think it should be that powerful, Omega beams should be top tier attack. Heat vision while devastating should not be able to compete against that otherwise we get could every Kryptonian block the might Darkseid's power?

For the underpowered thing you could argue that as it is the most draining of a Kryptonian's powers Superman used is sparingly as he wants to conserve energy for later on in the fight, or he was holding back.

Yeah it's ridiculous, not only are omega beams meant to pass through matter but he can change their path with a thought and they should be much more powerful.

That's true, it uses a lot of solar energy so yeah that's probably right.

I think Darkseid would demolish him. Most of Darkseid's low showings are avatars and desaad posing as him. If you ignore other factors such as for plot, like Darkseid wanting to keep superman aliveso not killing him with his omega beams and PIS like him getting hit by his own OB then Darkseid would one shot zod. Or omega sanction him etc...He can always bring him back to life if he needs him.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Titanbreaker

@titanbreaker said:
    @breakingthrones said:
    @titanbreaker said:

Yeah it's ridiculous, not only are omega beams meant to pass through matter but he can change their path with a thought and they should be much more powerful.

I think Darkseid would demolish him. Most of Darkseid's low showings are avatars and desaad posing as him. If you ignore other factors such as for plot, like Darkseid wanting to keep superman aliveso not killing him with his omega beams and PIS like him getting hit by his own OB then Darkseid would one shot zod. Or omega sanction him etc...He can always bring him back to life if he needs him.

I do not profess to know what Omega sanction is so gonna have to excuse my ignorance. I like the idea Superman should be able to fight Darkseid BUT NEVER have it be easy for him, may it a real life and death battle and Darkseid is just finding it all rather humorous, at best Superman might be able to knock the wind out of the Tyrants sails and have him leave, or actually cause him enough damage that Darkseid considered it a wise move to leave (Dude is an excellent strategist and would never let himself get engaged in a fight that could weaken him enough so that some one else could take a shot while he is hurt)

Zod would more than likely lose, but with his far more savage fight style I would want to see how that would work against Darkseid, Zod hits hard, fast and brutal and really does not let up unless he wants to really let his words do the damage for him. This could very well get his ass killed as he knocks Darkseid down and about, begins a speech, next thing he knows he is screaming as every fiber of his body is racked with pain.

IDK it is kind of an interesting what if when you place Zod up against the big Superman foes, as Zod has same powers as Superman but the two fight very differently and while Zod has more fighting skill and soldier like tactics he also loves the sound of his own voice and to bask in his "superiority", something Superman would never do when facing Darkseid or Mongol.

BreakingThrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breakingthrones said:
    @titanbreaker said:
    @breakingthrones said:
    @titanbreaker said:

I do not profess to know what Omega sanction is so gonna have to excuse my ignorance. I like the idea Superman should be able to fight Darkseid BUT NEVER have it be easy for him, may it a real life and death battle and Darkseid is just finding it all rather humorous, at best Superman might be able to knock the wind out of the Tyrants sails and have him leave, or actually cause him enough damage that Darkseid considered it a wise move to leave (Dude is an excellent strategist and would never let himself get engaged in a fight that could weaken him enough so that some one else could take a shot while he is hurt)

Zod would more than likely lose, but with his far more savage fight style I would want to see how that would work against Darkseid, Zod hits hard, fast and brutal and really does not let up unless he wants to really let his words do the damage for him. This could very well get his ass killed as he knocks Darkseid down and about, begins a speech, next thing he knows he is screaming as every fiber of his body is racked with pain.

IDK it is kind of an interesting what if when you place Zod up against the big Superman foes, as Zod has same powers as Superman but the two fight very differently and while Zod has more fighting skill and soldier like tactics he also loves the sound of his own voice and to bask in his "superiority", something Superman would never do when facing Darkseid or Mongol.

The omega sanction is what he did to Batman where he BFR's them to a series of dimensions,each one becoming worse and worse.

I believe superman has beaten Darkseid (not an avatar) once when he was amped by the sun and punched him into the source wall.

The thing is Darkseid's true form is Galactus level so over powered. His death was dragging down the multi verse.

Yeah it would be interesting because whilst Zod is a bit less powerful ( due to less overall solar radiation etc..) he doesn't hold back.

When superman fought Doomsday he was still holding back (as per always) and he wasn't even hurting him. When superman stops holding back he channels also his solar energy into his body into much more powerful attacks which is how he actually managed to kill Doomsday and it's also the reason he died because he used up all his solar reserves.

This is likely why he was able to get the best of the real Darkseid as he flew him to the sun and was able to constantly absorb higher levels of solar radiation.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.