Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

George Perez couldn't wait to get off Superman.

Thorion88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Thorion88

Well this certainly says alot about the back stage scenes at DC.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2012/06/george-perez-couldnt-wait-to-get-off-superman/

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Subject title is a "that's what she said" waiting to happen.

Thorion88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Thorion88

@k4tzm4n: True but blame the article more-so, haha. But regardless it is a rather interesting read.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By jsphsmth

That's good because I couldn't wait for Perez to stop writing Superman also. Not sure why DC gave an artist the writing slot on on of their biggest comics.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By _Zombie_

@k4tzm4n said:

Then I'll get it out of the way for the sake of the thread:

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#6  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I have a huge beef with DC's current editors, they are the ones responsible for the deaths of potentially good books 

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By SandMan_

Should have never been on Superman in the first place to be honest...

Avatar image for hotsaucecommittee
    HotSauceCommittee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HotSauceCommittee

Sounds like a real mess

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AweSam

@k4tzm4n said:

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

“I had no idea Grant Morrison was going to be working on another Superman title,” he said. “I had no idea I was doing it five years ahead, which means … my story, I couldn’t do certain things without knowing what he did, and Grant wasn’t telling everybody. So I was kind of stuck. ‘Oh, my gosh, are the Kents alive? What’s his relationship with all of these characters? Who exists?’ And DC couldn’t give me answers. I said, ‘Oh, my gosh, you’re deciding all these things and you mean even you don’t know what’s going on in your own books?’ So I became very frustrated …” This explains....so very much to me and sadly it just shows how disappointing things are. I thought New 52 was trying to create cohesion in the efforts of DC creative teams. Apparently not!

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jsphsmth

I had a hard time with the article. Too much of it sounds like BS. Would DC really jeapordize the relaunch by forgetting to mention that Supes has two comics and one is set in the past? Seems like this was a cornerstone of the relaunch. Supes shows up first and ushers in an age of superheroes. Pretty sure everybody knew that starting last May.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By z3ro180

I can see how that would frustating for him but none the less i have read the first three issues of his run and i liked them.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SandMan_

They should have just let Grant write both of the titles. There he would have had free reign.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By sethysquare

I respect George Perez alot as an artist. But I hated his Superman run and to just blame it on the editors just cos you couldnt write a good story, not cool.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gravitypress

Sounds like it would be frustrating.

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

I heard about this before. I'm not surprised. It seems like DC's biggest problem in the new 52 is that there's too much editorial control. Reminds me of what Chuck Dixon said a few years ago.

Avatar image for invisible_witch
    Invisible_Witch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Invisible_Witch

That sucks hopefully someone else can hope on superman George Perez shouldn't be frustrated

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By HolySerpent

I can understand were george is coming from. Also I'm not liking the superman series. I prefer the flash title

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By longbowhunter

I didn't read Perez's work on Superman so I won't judge. This is like the third or fourth case of this we've heard since DC relaunched last year. What the hell is going on? This obviously isn't unfair treatment across the board.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By azza04

Sounds pretty crap but his run was awful, glad he's off it.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By John Valentine

@spiderbat87 said:

I have a huge beef with DC's current editors, they are the ones responsible for the deaths of potentially good books

That weren't selling enough to support themselves.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Lvenger

George Perez is one of my all time favourite artists and some of his previous stints of a writer have been good. Nonetheless, his Superman run was terrible and really didn't raise my hopes about the quality of the title. This explains a lot about why Superman was so bad. It's a shame really but more could have been done with the title.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @John Valentine

@spiderbat87 said:

I have a huge beef with DC's current editors, they are the ones responsible for the deaths of potentially good books

Obviously
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By John Valentine

@spiderbat87 said:

@John Valentine

@spiderbat87 said:

Obviously

Well, then, why do you have "huge beef" with them? Several of the books they've cancelled have been pretty rubbish, anyway.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By danhimself

yeah this sounds about right....it seems like DC really had no idea what they were doing past the relaunch....all they knew was that they were relaunching and going to get a lot of money of those initial sales and that's really all that mattered to them....it's why there has been so much contradiction between the writers and the editors....one week we've got someone telling us that all of the Teen Titans stuff before the relaunch happened then the first issue of Teen Titans and Superboy comes out and we realize that there's something wrong here...then Dan Didio comes along as says "nope none of that stuff happened"....same thing with the Crisises being retconned to "they happened just not the way you remember"....they had no firm plan or backstory for the universe and decided to leave it open so that way they can cover up their screw ups

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By X35

Maybe he can be replaced with Rob Liefeld...

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

The New 52 is mismanaged and a load of crap?  

This is legitimately surprising to me (SARCASM BOMB)

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By TDK_1997

When I saw that Perez is writing Superman and the title was full of crap,I was amazed.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jsphsmth

@aztek_the_lost said:

@jsphsmth said:

I had a hard time with the article. Too much of it sounds like BS. Would DC really jeapordize the relaunch by forgetting to mention that Supes has two comics and one is set in the past? Seems like this was a cornerstone of the relaunch. Supes shows up first and ushers in an age of superheroes. Pretty sure everybody knew that starting last May.

Umm, not all these books began at the same time and nobody knew what was going on in the other 51 books.

Hell, Batwoman published an issue before the New 52 was even an idea, so it seems extremely likely when he accepted Superman he didn't know anything about Action Comics.

Nope, pretty sure that all 52 of the DCnU titles started in September of 2011 and DC announced it in May of 2011. Unless Perez was living under a rock, he should have heard of something about an additional Superman comic.

Regardless, I refuse to believe that editors were not coordinating the groups of titles. Seems like Snyder and Lemire knew what was going on in Animal Man and Swamp Thing. Seems that Michael Green and Mike Johnson knew what was occurring in other titles because when Supergirl's hearing kicked in in issue 1 she was hearing what was happening in the other comics published that month.

Perez is a talented artist, but not a talented writer. When David Finch figured out that he wasn't a good writer, he didn't blame DC he accepted it and apologized to the readers. Perez should have done the same. Accept responsiblity for your own actions.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @John Valentine said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@John Valentine

@spiderbat87 said:

Obviously

Well, then, why do you have "huge beef" with them? Several of the books they've cancelled have been pretty rubbish, anyway.

Many of them were "pretty rubbish" because of editorial interference. Whats your problem man? 
    jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jsphsmth

@aztek_the_lost: Actualkly both Batwoman and Red Lantern had there released dates pushed back so that they could be included in the September relaunch, but they are the exceptions not the rule.

You probably should read some interviews with the creator involved in the relaunch. Your timeline is off.

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fifthchild

This all sounds very familiar when you here behind the scenes stories of how DC editorial works or more accurately doesn't work. Reminds me of McDuffie talking about how he would be told issue to issue that he couldn't use different characters when he was writing JLA, eventually making it impossible for him to tell any real ongoing story as characters walked in and out of the team at an editors whim. Even Grant Morrison wasn't immune to the sort of screwups that produced a faisco like the Countdown lead-in to Final Crisis. Perhaps because they have been working as a subdivision of WB for much longer DC seems a much more beaurocratic place than Marvel where editors and creators often get caught up in weird power struggles and end up sabotaging one another.

No Caption Provided
    Hemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hemen

@HolySerpent: Screw Flash Titles the action comic title owns it.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By HolySerpent

@Hermen: no it doesnt. The flash title is one of the best series there putting out along with New Guardians

KennyQuick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By KennyQuick

Agreed Flash is a very good read. In my top 3 right now from DC a long with Batman and Aquaman.

I was skeptical about reading Perez's run on Superman after reading how bad the reviews were. But when DC dropped the price to .99 cents on all #1 issues of the new 52, I decided to try it. The first 3 issues were very good, I was hooked. But it slowly went down hill to where it almost didnt make sense towards the end of the arc. If he really was held back due to Grant's run then thats a shame. Grant's run is good, but it jumps all over the place. Wonder why these stories had to intertwine so much. Im sure all the 3724892 Batman titles dont follow the same line.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.