Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Gene Yang Talks SUPERMAN, Evil Corporations, and Lois Discovering the 'Truth'

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

In the current Superman titles, we've seen Clark Kent's life turned upside down. We know the world is now aware of his secret identity. To add to his problems, his problems are also a bit messed up.

In Gene Yang and John Romita Jr's SUPERMAN, we're stepping back a little in the Before Truth storyline. He's now traced things to an organization called HORDR. We talked to Gene about SUPERMAN #42 and the what the current developments mean for Superman, the future of the DCU, and Lois Lane.

Note: there will be some minor spoilers for SUPERMAN #42.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: Is HORDR a threat that will start to have a bigger presence in Metropolis or the DCU moving forward?

GENE YANG: Well, they’re not done. HORDR_ROOT, the lead guy, was not defeated by the end of this issue. They will have a continuing presence…at least for the rest of this storyline.

CV: There was a mention/comparison to Lexcorp. Is Lex unaware of this group?

GENE: That…you’ll just have to read the book! [Pause] Lex does come in. Lex, of course, is going to have a role, right? It’s a Superman book. Lex will have a role in Truth.

CV: Will we find out all about this organization right away or is there a mountain of secrets we’ll find out little by little?

GENE: Part of the mission for Clark now is to get at the root of them. As he learns about them, so will the reader. They will have a continuing presence in the current storyline. All the way through.

CV: Is organization or businesses giving out free coffee to employees a way to control them? That’s why mine does.

No Caption Provided

GENE: [laughs] You’re referring to how Jimmy got that caramel latte? I grew up and still live in the Silicon Valley. HORDR, as an organization, I wanted to be like an evil version of the darker side of Silicon Valley and put it all into this one organization. That’s totally a ploy, dude. Like if you go to Facebook, you can get free coffee anywhere. It’s just their way to make sure you can stay up and work for them. You’ll always have energy to give to Facebook. They caffeinate you to do that.

CV: We also get free popcorn.

GENE: Exactly. It’s just to give you calories so you can provide them with output.

CV: Will we find out more about the shadow ninjas?

GENE: Yes, them too. You’ll definitely find out more about the shadow ninjas.

CV: Was there any specific approach you took for this arc, seeing as Superman feels like a more isolated character, even though the world knows his secret identity?

GENE: We got together as a Superman team really early on, before I even signed actually. I got on the phone with Greg Pak, Aaron Kuder, Pete Tomasi, and John Romita Jr. We just talked through what we wanted to do. We wanted some kind of premise that would carry all four books through. We also got a mandate from the folks above that they wanted to see something really big happen. Those were all the pieces we were given. What we came up with was having him exposed—having his secret identity just put out there. We also talked about a lot of the pieces that people traditionally associate with him going away. He loses his cape. He loses the the S-curl. He loses a lot of his power. We push him back to his original power set from the Fleischer cartoon days. This is why we also backed up his S-shield to the old Fleischer S-shield. Losing his supporting cast was also part of that. As before, he’s going to get a little bit disconnected from both his old traditional supporting cast and the other heroes that are in the DC Universe.

CV: Is Superman going to have to limit the use of the solar-flare or will he even be able to build it up?

GENE: Yeah, everything is going to be harder for him. He’s not going to be able to fly. He’ll only be able to jump like he did in the olden days. He’ll still be stronger than an average human being but he won’t as strong as he was. He’ll still have access to the solar flare but it’s just going to be much much more difficult for him.

CV: Have you thought beyond the “Before Truth” storyline? Is “Clark Kent” basically gone?

GENE: Well I wouldn’t…I’m already working on the next storyline. I’ve outlined it already and I’m starting on the script. I wouldn’t say that Clark is gone. For most of his existence, he’s had this wall between his two identities—between him as Clark Kent and him as Superman. That wall is now gone. It’s less about Clark Kent being gone and more about him trying to figure out how to integrate these two parts of himself.

CV: What super-villains would you be excited to work with down the line?

GENE: I have to tell you, I kind of like some of the more obscure villains and we’re figuring out who’s coming. I’ve always liked his major rogues gallery. I’ve always liked Brainiac and Parasite. We’ll see how it goes.

No Caption Provided

CV: What was it like writing the new iconic moment Lois finally confirms Clark’s secret?

GENE: It was really nerve-racking actually. I’m thankful. I got a lot of help from the editorial team. John, of course, was able to pull out a lot of the emotions with the way he illustrated it. I feel lucky. I feel lucky that I’m part of such a talented team.

SUPERMAN #42 is now on sale!

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Well lucky he was wearing the costume underneath. Otherwise it would be awkward.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To think of it now, how does superman conceal his new52 costume under regular clothing. Its an armor right? With collar and beveled areas. Also its a lot bulky.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I really liked this issue. I'm curious for what is to come.

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought he lost that armor, and this story line is going on too long for my taste.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justice_teen: It's two books old. It's done in August though.

No this story is going on until September

@g_man said:

@justice_teen: "Going on too long"? This issue is part 2.

Not if you count the other issues with Superman in them. I know you don't have to read all of them to get the story, but I don't want to see this stretched out.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
    unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After reading the issue it makes sense why Lois revealed his identity.

RexWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL Gene Yang sounds pretty cool

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved this storyline¡

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought he lost that armor, and this story line is going on too long for my taste.

It keeps jumping all over the place, me being dumb also doesn't help but I am getting confused as to where this takes place in regards to justice league, batman and joker going all out and so out

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man said:

@justice_teen: "Going on too long"? This issue is part 2.

It has no proper way to follow the story. We have previously parts here ...and we have the ''what happened next'' parts in other titles...it is just a jumbled mess. I mean anything involving Superman ( aside from Justice League which is whole another mess ) jumps around this storyline where we don't know which came first. We only know this to be the prequel but Batman/Supermam , Wonder Woman/Superman, Action Comics...reading them makes it too complicated.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Flicker

I really enjoyed this issue. It had just the right balance of action and developing the story. I'm also finding Hordr_root intriguing.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#18  Edited By The Impersonator

The truth just got out there.

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
    davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Hopefully, JR Jr will be on the title for a good stretch (it would make for an awesome omnibus or 2). It's cool, gritty artwork (and I'd even like to see him do some more writing for the title like he did for issue 40)

So far Yang seems okay, hopefully he'll continue to take the characters forward rather than backwards.

As for villains, as much as I also like Parasite and Brainiac, I wouldn't mind seeing The Machinist come back; we only saw him briefly during Geoff Johns run. Also wouldn't mind seeing Metallo again ... The Toyman would be cool too

Ranoiaetep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure it's just me, somehow i feel the plot for superman's titles are pretty slow since "doomed".

I do love Braniac and Parasite a lot as villains. Anyway both of them have been making appearance a lot since the start of n52. Another villain I liked a lot is Lex Luthor but he's not on the villain side right now...

Guess it could be a good time to use zod or even some calls from the Legions

VickBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By VickBat

@justice_teen said:
    @superguy1591 said:

@justice_teen: No, truth ends next month.

No Caption Provided

According to DC's website truth ends in September.

Yeah, but depowered Superman continues, in october, in action comics 45 speak of Superman quest to regain his powers...and the secret is not a secret...there are no solution ...

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/superman-2011/superman-45

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/action-comics-2011/action-comics-45

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully, JR Jr will be on the title for a good stretch (it would make for an awesome omnibus or 2). It's cool, gritty artwork (and I'd even like to see him do some more writing for the title like he did for issue 40)

As for villains, as much as I also like Parasite and Brainiac, I wouldn't mind seeing The Machinist come back; we only saw him briefly during Geoff Johns run. Also wouldn't mind seeing Metallo again ... The Toyman would be cool too

A big yes to Romita being on the title for a long stretch, as this book desperately needs a solid creative team that stays longer than an arc, and without the constant interruption in art chores that Kuder bafflingly seems to need in Action; no to Romita writing. He did do a good job of giving us a different perspective and putting Superman through stuff that others seem to be reticent to (have him get drunk, for example), but writing and capturing characters' voices is clearly not the man's forte.

And the Machinist needs to never be used again. A useless filler foe and a glorified Toyman that is way, way below Superman's league. It's bad enough that Superman is fighting run-of-the-mill robots and bit-ninjas, but at least now he has the excuse of being depowered.

Guess it could be a good time to use zod or even some calls from the Legions

There are no words to express how much I'd love the Legion to come back to Clark's life. Sadly, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.