Five Revelations About Superman from ACTION COMICS #7

• 77 results
Posted by G-Man (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

Month after month, the pages of Grant Morrison's ACTION COMICS deliver revelation after revelation as far as who Superman is in the "New 52." It's interesting because with the other title, SUPERMAN, we know pretty much where he's going to end up, who he will become. That Superman and the one in ACTION feel like different characters and seeing young Superman develop is one of the great things about the series.

This Superman isn't as powerful as the one we know. Seeing the events that shape him into who he will become adds to the suspense of the series and character. Every little detail is scrutinized as we search for the next big revelations unleashed upon us.

As the residence of Metropolis are held captive inside a bottle, it's up to Superman to save them. There will be some minor spoilers below for ACTION COMICS #7 so be sure to read that issue before continuing.

== TEASER ==

How Fast is Superman?

How much faster than a speeding bullet is he? Is he faster than Flash? We sort of saw the answer to that one in the pages of JUSTICE LEAGUE but we don't know what his top speed is.

In order to proceed with a plan to confront the aliens that have taken and miniaturized Metropolis, Superman has to get to a speed of 25,000 miles per hour. Think about that. Count those zeroes. That's pretty fast. It's mentioned that he's never been recorded going more than 600 m.p.h. but the idea doesn't phase Superman. And obviously in order for the issue to proceed, he does reach that speed.

Superman Can't Breathe in Space

This should be a given. It's likely you've seen panels from old comics and Superman had no problems flying out into space. Whether he could breathe or was just holding his breath, it was one of the silly aspects of the over-powered Superman of the old days. While Grant Morrison is taking some cues from earlier incarnations of Superman, this is thankfully not one he chose to use as Superman needed a breathing apparatus to complete his journey.

Discovery of Krypton

Superman knew he was from another planet but didn't really know any details. It was the invaders that gave him the name. He had heard in in dreams (which were most likely memories or ghosts of them) but never knew what it meant. This gave him the confirmation that the name of his planet was actually Krypton. At least some good came out of the aliens attacking Metropolis and threatening to destroy Earth.

Kandor's Existence

Is Superman the last son of Krypton? We know in the current time, Superman encounters his cousin Kara. With the idea of cities being shrunk down and collected in bottles obviously means Kandor would be brought up. We all suspected it but now we have confirmation that it does in fact exist in the "New 52."

We'll have to keep our eyes peeled to see what the fate of Kandor is after this arc. Will Superman be able to save/preserve the bottled cities? Will he find a way to shrink himself down so he can visit the city? Will residents of Kandor someday find a way to emerge from the bottle? There are still so many answers.

Superman's Costume

Just when I was getting used to the jeans and t-shirt look, here comes the Kryptonian suit. It had to happen sooner or later since he's wearing it in SUPERMAN but it came sooner than we expected. When Kandor was taken (collected), some other artifacts were preserved along with it. There was some Kryptonian "clothes" that Superman remembered seeing before as an infant. Understanding that the purpose they served (as Kryptonian armor), he helped himself to the display case and put them on.

The suit was originally plain white but once he put it on, it transformed into his traditional colors, perhaps due to his genetic code or something. Now that he has the suit, we have to wonder how indestructible is it? If it's as tough as his cape is, perhaps he won't have to worry about any tears or having to worry about repairing any damage.

Bonus: What About Steel?

Steel has already made his debut in the series. When Metropolis was teleported away, there was plenty of destruction left and lives to be saved. With Superman trying to save those taken away, Steel spent his time saving those still left behind. Making such a public display of heroism, he should have made a name for himself as a hero. Because this happen five plus years ago, you have to wonder what happened to Steel after this. We've not seen any mention of him in current "New 52" issues. Is he still being a hero or has he devoted his life to scientific research? We'll just have to wait and see.

That's it for this issue. There were a few other moments contained inside that should be looked at carefully. We won't spoil it all for you but I have a sneaky suspicion about a couple things seen here.

#1 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

THANK GOD, someone at DC remembered the not breathing in space bit!! Thank you, Mr. Morrison!

I HATE it when writers just ignored core science rules and have Superman zipping about jupiter like it's normal! Argh!

#2 Edited by Icon (2081 posts) - - Show Bio

"Guns are for sissies" ..Does Superman really talk about other people like that? Sissies? Uh.

#3 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29509 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icon said:

"Guns are for sissies" ..Does Superman really talk about other people like that? Sissies? Uh.

If he ever says it again, someone should whip out the kryptonite.

#4 Posted by wowylied (238 posts) - - Show Bio

I was okay with this issue but one thing, the armor.

So he goes into a random space ship and there is a armor not to big or to small for him, with the word "hope" (the z) and all ?

#5 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

The 600 mph speed might possibly be Superman deliberately keeping below the sound barrier (which varies but is in the 700s). He might have gone much faster outside of Metropolis and General Lane's monitoring.

#6 Posted by Vermillo (55 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually I thought the reason why he could fly in space without air was because of the sun. I mean he a living solar battery right? I remember reading some old superman's comics where they explain that he don't need food, air, or sleep because he draw all his energy from the the sun but he choose to in order to fit in with humanity. So I guess it would make sense later on as he get older and more powerful that the need for air or food would no longer apply . I can't remember what issues that explain this in great detail so I just use how superboy (pre-new 52) powers grow when he started maturing. Similar to Conner, action comic superman is still growing so maybe his body can't properly absorb all the power of the sun correctly with explain why he not as powerful as his future self. When he finally mature to full adulthood then I believe his body will be able to absorb the sun simpler pre 52 superman where he could travel in space with air. But that just my opinion.

#7 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7891 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the not breathing in space addition/ return good move.

#8 Posted by Skruff (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Granted, I'm a month or so behind, so maybe it was all a dream or something, but didn't Supergirl just fly to where Krypton used to be WITHOUT any breathing apparatus? Either Supergirl really is that much stronger than Superman, or the Super-family editorial team needs to have their wrists slapped.

And ugh at the "sissy" comment...

#9 Edited by UltimateSMfan (1436 posts) - - Show Bio

@Miss_Garrick: He's superman,its not supposed to be normal.

@Vermillo said:

Actually I thought the reason why he could fly in space without air was because of the sun. I mean he a living solar battery right? I remember reading some old superman's comics where they explain that he don't need food, air, or sleep because he draw all his energy from the the sun but he choose to in order to fit in with humanity. So I guess it would make sense later on as he get older and more powerful that the need for air or food would no longer apply . I can't remember what issues that explain this in great detail so I just use how superboy (pre-new 52) powers grow when he started maturing. Similar to Conner, action comic superman is still growing so maybe his body can't properly absorb all the power of the sun correctly with explain why he not as powerful as his future self. When he finally mature to full adulthood then I believe his body will be able to absorb the sun simpler pre 52 superman where he could travel in space with air. But that just my opinion.

phew,atleast someone got it right.

I like how Supes here is so confident about his speed,hes modest abt his powers most of the time.really enjoyed this issue but 'zoom vision' and the way the kryptonian garb changed color & Acquired his symbol,i think Morrison's on some kind of trip,And what happened to that cool kryptonian font we had in the pre-new 52?only saw it once in Superboy #2.Now all we got is the language of LaLa land.Hope thats fixed,otherwise its all good,cant wait for the showdown against braniac.

#10 Posted by frochez (194 posts) - - Show Bio

One thing that always bothered me about Superman was that he was just too damn powerful. What's the point of a hero when he has virtually no weaknesses (kryptonite excluded)? It's nice to seem him a little bit less all-powerful, which is what I liked about the Smallville tv series.

On the Steel front, I'm puting in my bet that the reason why he hasn't appeared in other DC books is that he dies at the end of the series. Or maybe he gets abducted by the aliens, trading his place with Metropolis to save the city?

#11 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

@Miss_Garrick said:

THANK GOD, someone at DC remembered the not breathing in space bit!! Thank you, Mr. Morrison!

I HATE it when writers just ignored core science rules and have Superman zipping about jupiter like it's normal! Argh!

You mean like in Supergirl?

#12 Edited by Grim (2080 posts) - - Show Bio

@wowylied said:

I was okay with this issue but one thing, the armor.

So he goes into a random space ship and there is a armor not to big or to small for him, with the word "hope" (the z) and all ?

but... its explained. Braniac had collected and preserved the armor when he stole Kandor. And the suit didnt have anything on it until Superman put it on, and when he did it seemed to recognize his bloodline and change.

(Am-Ur-Lak: Bel-Don-EL probably means something like "Armor Lock: House of EL")

#13 Posted by ColonelRunAway (370 posts) - - Show Bio

To be fair, this didn't actually prove that he can't breathe in space. He'd never tried it before, so of course he'd bring some air instead of just assuming he could make it.

#14 Posted by tglass1976 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

We've already seen him in space without a breathing apparatus in Superman (attacked by the nanite things), so this is just another one of those early years deals where either his powers weren't strong enough or he simply didn't know yet.

Also, Superman used a breather in space suring the Byrne years so this isn't exactly new to the Superman mythos.

#15 Edited by UltimateSMfan (1436 posts) - - Show Bio

@Grim: hey that actually make sense,can u pls post a translation of all the weird kryptonese grant morrison wrote on his high,i mean i actually learned to read the Kryptonian font,i DO NOT kno wat Ha La La means,or why clarks ship has an orgasm everytime he goes near it.

#16 Posted by tensor (4634 posts) - - Show Bio

This is all in the start .Earlier days superman were always weaker, look in any superman starting series he will be weak.As for breathing in space he did just that in superman number 1 ,his speed should be above the 25000mph becuase he flew the monster out of orbit which took no time at all for him to do that plus he tag the flash in jla number 2 ,he even had enough time to change his hand from a fist to a finger an flash could do nothing.

#17 Posted by laabitres (434 posts) - - Show Bio

epic

#18 Posted by SuperShafe (470 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icon: I felt like he was joking around, He's super confident in himself right now and was kind of angry with General Lane for having held him/Superman in a previous issue, so he/Superman took a shot at him/General Lane.

#19 Posted by Arevish (302 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally Supes got REALLY nerfed xD

#20 Posted by drgnx (3565 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icon said:

Sounds like something Superboy Prime would say!

#21 Posted by astrid12 (84 posts) - - Show Bio

@wowylied: THIS. To me things are just happening in this happening in this book. Very little explanations and if there are they're giving one panel lol it's just like from the events of #4 and then 5 to the huge detour in 6 and now this...it's like...what is happening?! lol

#22 Posted by DATNIGGA (1203 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait... why is superman wearing an oxygen mask? eh.. i miss the superman that pull a 3rd of the earths mass & could go toe to toe with gods

#23 Posted by bladewolf (782 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually unsure if he can breathe in space: IMHO, Supes didn't know either way, so he took oxygen just to be safe. He still COULD be able to breathe in space and may just not know it yet.

#24 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

@UltimateSMfan: Having Kal- El going around woth no power limit and being able to breathe in space "cause he's Superman", doesn't work! I don't think any superhero should be like that.

#25 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

I knew Superman would find his suit raiding Brainiac's ship! Tho i wish the jeans and t-shirt lasted a little longer to be honest.

#26 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer my Superman being able to breath in space, screw since this is comics

#27 Edited by UltimateSMfan (1436 posts) - - Show Bio

@Miss_Garrick: never sed he shld have infinite power,just sed he shld be like the pre-new 52 supes,n why dont u think Superheros shld be like that? they're characters of our fantasy,they're not ment to be realistic.anyway like i sed its the writing not the character.take All Star superman,he was dramatically overpowered but that story was written so well that it didnt matter.

#28 Edited by Triumphant (2316 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing wrong with using the word Sissies.

#29 Posted by cagedleo730 (235 posts) - - Show Bio

Supergirl held her breath while flying in space. There was a whole inner monologue of her freaking out about dieing in space. As for the armor, maybe Kryptonian custome is one size fits all. He couldn't keep wearing costumes that tore in a fight. He's very modest about showing too much skin.

#30 Edited by feargalr (1163 posts) - - Show Bio

Speed of sound at sea level = 761.2 mph

The speed of light = 670 616 629 mph

25,000mph is approx 1/26000th the speed of light.

Maths is fun.

#31 Posted by KidSupreme (829 posts) - - Show Bio

@Miss_Garrick said:

LoL .. your totally right!

#32 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Well he's definitely not to Pre-Crisis levels of potential then if he cannot breathe in the vacuum of space. Everything else is nice though. I think by him finding out about Krypton and other revelations that its a new twist appropriate to the new changes...but one fo the panels sure does seem weird to me...the Collectors calling the Kryptonians a "mighty race of super-beings." Well, does that imply that Kryptonians were super on their home planet? What's the deal with that? The suit is great and I love the Steel backup and how we aren't sure really of Supes' top speed yet. I'm so ready for this arc to be concluded next issue!

#33 Posted by Trodorne (2591 posts) - - Show Bio

its a great issue, and one thing that i loved about the kryptonian suit is that it changes either based on the house or maybe its like the FF suits where its based on thoughts and ideas. frankly i am willing to bet the suit also stores energy from the yellow sun which would probably enhance his powers.

#34 Posted by WolfMonkey (302 posts) - - Show Bio

he can breath in space in Superman, and Supergirl can breath in space in her series too. so eventually he'll be able to, he's just not that powerful just yet.

#35 Posted by cagedleo730 (235 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe that The Collector referred to Kryptonians as Super-beings as a reference to their intelligence and ingenuity. He considers them a class/level 8 species while the Earthlings are class/level 3.

#36 Posted by Superlad93 (46 posts) - - Show Bio
@WolfMonkey: OMG thank u. It was so frustrating reading through all the comments like "oh he's not super anymore cuz he can't breath in space" or "finally DC is using science in their comics and not making him godlike" But the thing is no one is taking into account that THIS IS 5 YEARS (and 6 to 7 months) IN THE PAST!!!!! This is actually just a few months b4 JL and in there Superman catches the Flash, fights Darksied and tells Green lantern that he can go up into space no problem......this is only a few mouths after he starts being a hero in Action comic (golden age level)........let that sink in for a second. You see what 6 to 7 months do now try 5 years and see how powerful he is and in Superman #1 Jim remarked on how Superman seems to just be stronger and stronger.  

Also the suit can starch well past it given shape as see in Supergirl issue #2 when they are doing test on her suit. Also the font has changed so that we as readers can read it through the use of the small translation in Action #5.    

But anyway rant over. LOVED this book!! To me it probably going to be the best this month. So many plots all swimming around in just this 1 issue!!! 

Also on the page where Superman 1st sees all the bottled cites and artifacts didn't one of the clothes look like it was a Timelord's suit from Doctor who :D         
#37 Edited by Superlad93 (46 posts) - - Show Bio
@cagedleo730: Again THANK U. Also they have all evolved to look like movie stars lol But really though they are all genetically perfect Super-people no matter where they are......they just gain super endowments with yellow suns (this was in the issue so the collector know about the yellow sun giving them powers they wouldn't normally have on krypton)    

Oh yea any guns are for sissies. I love this guy lol 
#38 Posted by Deranged Midget (17712 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

I prefer my Superman being able to breath in space, screw since this is comics

Superman could never breathe in space... no one can. There is no oxygen to breath in.

He just held his breath, as did everyone else. Mongol even trained him to do so in preparation to fight Imperius Prime.

#39 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman can't breathe in space, tell that to Warner Brothers.

#40 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio

Guns are for sissies?

wow.

P.S. Looking cool with the oxygen tank.

#41 Posted by LordRequiem (1316 posts) - - Show Bio

Surely if he can't breathe in space that makes him no better than errr mere mortals? Where's the logic in that? And I thought the sun imbues him with energy, as he's flown to it before, did he wear masks then, nope. I think Flash should be faster than Superman, he has to have some limits, otherwise there's no need for other characters. Can't say I'm too impressed with the revelations in this issue.

#42 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

@UltimateSMfan: just because it's fiction is not a good reason for having character that is limitless in everything. I just prefer superheroes that are a bit more realistic in their power set. It's more fun to read those guys who have to try harder. That's why I'll take Captain America over Superman every time, Heck, I'll take Plastic man over Superman. I just never liked Superman because he IS perfect in everything ever. It's just what I think.

#43 Posted by MonkeyToe (386 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think the mask signifies that Superman can't 'breathe' or 'function' in space. As others have pointed out, no one can breath in space because there is no oxygen, but I believe there ARE organisms that survive the vacuum of space. Perhaps Supes alien physiology allows him to do this as well.

Also, 25000 mph was the speed that Superman had to travel because this is the escape velocity to get away from Earth's gravity, in case anyone was curious.

#44 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3561 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm so tempted to read this, but I won't read the issue for like a week.

#45 Posted by MonkeyToe (386 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kal'smahboi said:

Why?

#46 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3561 posts) - - Show Bio
@MonkeyToe said:

@Kal'smahboi said:

Why?

Because it's like taking a peek at your presents before Christmas, but knowing the novelty and the surprise will be gone. I'm fighting the urge :)
#47 Posted by MonkeyToe (386 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kal'smahboi said:

@MonkeyToe said:

@Kal'smahboi said:

Why?

Because it's like taking a peek at your presents before Christmas, but knowing the novelty and the surprise will be gone. I'm fighting the urge :)

No I meant why won't you read the issue for a week?

#48 Posted by Omega-Man (766 posts) - - Show Bio

People seem to whine about Superman being able to go into space without having to breath. yet no one stops and says this about Silver Surfer from Marvel, or even Captain Marvel Billy Batson who has shown he can talk in outer space.

#49 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3561 posts) - - Show Bio
@MonkeyToe said:

@Kal'smahboi said:

@MonkeyToe said:

@Kal'smahboi said:

Why?

No I meant why won't you read the issue for a week?

Oh, my bad. I'm just out of town. I'll grab it from my pull folder back home next week.
#50 Posted by EpicMeltDown (66 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: Thank you for making this comment. Unless Superman is breathing Space-Time and/or Dark Matter, he's never been breathing in space.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.