First Photo of Henry Caville as the 'Man of Steel'

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

On the heels of the announcement that actor Laurence Fishburne will be playing Perry White in the upcoming 'Man of Steel' film, comes our very first look at the costume design for Superman.

Courtesy of Warner Brothers Pictures and Legendary Pictures, we got our very first look (and a hell of an action shot) of actor Henry Caville as 'Superman' from the upcoming 'Man of Steel' movie, currently in production and slated for a June 13th, 2013 release. The texture of the costume is completely different from any Superman suit we have seen, and the "S" insignia is slightly different, and looks a lot like a throw back to the original Superman suit. What do you guys think of the suit? Does Caville look like a convincing Superman? Full image below!

== TEASER ==

In a recent interview, Caville revealed that his training regimen for the Man of Steel has him consuming upwards of 5000 calories a day:

"I'm on 5000 calories a day... You've got to eat protein first, then a little bit of carbs...you've gotta keep your hunger levels going. I'm training two and a half hours a day, pushing my body beyond its normal limits, putting on a lot of muscle mass and just making myself look like Superman."

And for those of you who are afraid that Supes won't sport his iconic hair curl, photos of Caville from Comic-Con may put those fears to rest:

Source: DC Source, Moviehole

#1 Posted by ambigu0us (41 posts) - - Show Bio

Clearly, don't eff with this Superman. Doesn't look bad, but his demeanor and actualy portrayal of Supes is what's more important.

Reserve judgement until we see some actual acting.

#2 Posted by Jake Fury (17928 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

That ummm........that looks pretty damn good!

#4 Posted by Foggen (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks kind of menacing.

#5 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29332 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by Astroknot (88 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't look that bad. The "S" on his chest looks way better than Superman Returns. That looked like a 12 year old drew and approved that.

#7 Posted by FLStyle (368 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by inferi22 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks like his JLA costume from the reboot 

#10 Posted by Jake Fury (17928 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio

So... is he wearing the briefs????????

#13 Posted by IrishX (2259 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't know Superman was a greaser.

#14 Edited by ErisRon (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, his mug is bugging me in this picture. They should've chosen a different shot of him. He looks like fucking JLo's Mark Anthony.
#15 Posted by Bestostero (5611 posts) - - Show Bio

His hair looks like it was loaded with gel, i almost want to touch it lol

#16 Edited by ahgunsillyo (112 posts) - - Show Bio

Muted colors?  Flashy effects?  Yup.  This is a Zack Snyder movie. 

That's not to say this doesn't look pretty awesome.  On the contrary, actually.  Though the lack of the spit-curl in his hair is slightly disheartening, the suit itself is quite nice.  I'm really liking the larger, more old-fashioned emblem on his chest; the shape of the S is giving off a Golden Age or Earth-2 vibe.   

And the inclusion of the cartoonishly large vault door bent all to high heavens really reminds me of the old Max Fleischer Superman cartoons, which is a huge plus for me. 

#17 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27716 posts) - - Show Bio

Pants or no pants? I cant make it out!

#18 Edited by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

Here he is with less 'fro . . . .thanks clone stamp :D

#19 Posted by Queen's Halo (2431 posts) - - Show Bio

That hair is so stupid. I can't give an opinion on the rest of the pic 'cause the stupidity of the hair is blocking my sight.

#20 Posted by entropy_aegis (13656 posts) - - Show Bio

looking good.

#21 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29332 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by pikahyper (10428 posts) - - Show Bio

eh looks pretty ugly to me, the texture looks the same as the new Amazing Spider-Man movie costume

#23 Posted by Seraphim84 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

Way more imposing than Routh, it shows that he'll make for a great action Superman (arguably the biggest part missing from the franchise), but he's still gonna have to pull off being a beacon of hope and justice in the way only Superman can.

#24 Edited by katanalauncher (937 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd imagine one of his super power is to put hairgel on himself once he turned into Superman. 

"The actor gives a whole new meaning to 'Man of Steel."

Somewhat that's not how I imagined how the quote would be used.
#25 Posted by HT101 (135 posts) - - Show Bio

This is looking good so far. Let's hope Snyder doesn't make this into a Snyder movie, which I don't have much hope of him avoiding. With Nolan in an advisory/producer role, hopefully this will keep Mr. Snyder in check with his stupid slo-mo BS and everything that he does in his movies that totally ruin them.

#26 Posted by Jake Fury (17928 posts) - - Show Bio

He looks super. Yes, I went there.
#27 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29332 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:
He looks super. Yes, I went there.
:O
#28 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27082 posts) - - Show Bio

I loathe detest and despise Superman.. but this looks kinda hot!... well apart from the hair...

#29 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm convinced and looks to be a darker Superman. This picture alone has more action than the entirety of Superman Returns.

And Cavil definitely pulled off the look. He's bulky and intimidating. Thank god Tom Welling wasn't chosen.

#30 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27082 posts) - - Show Bio

@Babs said:

@Jake Fury said:

http://www.comicvine.com/superman/29-1807/first-look-at-henry-cavill-as-superman/92-626874/#19 InnerVenom beat ya to it.

Hey guys! Thanks for the heads up. It was locked so we wouldn't have multiple threads in the forums about the same topic. Unfortunately, news page trumps the forums. Next time just email us with a heads up about the big news, and we will credit you in the article. :)

That's awesome! and great for users to know too! we should have a "hot news desk" thread ;)

#31 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27716 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Mistress Redhead. said:

I loathe detest and despise Superman.. but this looks kinda hot!... well apart from the hair...

blasphemy : )
#32 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27082 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

blasphemy : )

never! ;)

#33 Posted by WW-Fan (2738 posts) - - Show Bio

Love IT!!

#34 Posted by Owie (3304 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks fine, but I don't understand the texture.  I agree, it looks like the Spider-Man suit texture.  I don't get why either of them are like that.  I guess they don't want it to look as sheer as spandex, or as stiff as old-school-era movie Batman body armor, but this bumpy thing is weird too. Especially on Spider-Man--is that something some kid is supposed to have sewn at home?

#35 Posted by Jake Fury (17928 posts) - - Show Bio

Says the lady with the Smallville avatar....yeah I'm calling you out!  
#36 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29332 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:

Fury gets a Punisher icon and suddenly he gets the big boy pants! ;)
#37 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27716 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:

ha funny how I never picked up on that
#38 Posted by FortressoftheMoon (678 posts) - - Show Bio

#39 Posted by RecSpec (9 posts) - - Show Bio

That cape is pretty crazy. Liking the look.

#40 Posted by NXH (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

I think a lot of people are over reacting on the fish scale suit, but I personally think it looks really cool. And he deffenitly looks like Chris Reeves there.

#41 Posted by CaptainCyke (89 posts) - - Show Bio

So is just me or does it look like his suit is made of the same material as the Amazing Spider-Man suit?

#42 Edited by The_Tree (6439 posts) - - Show Bio

Henry's looking very Supermanly. Even without eyebrows or red trunks. :P
It's gonna be awesome seeing Superman kick ass on the big screen. I can't wait to see Zod.

#43 Posted by CraftyArrow (123 posts) - - Show Bio

Man he looks like he is going to war. God I hope this a good movie.

#44 Posted by Jake Fury (17928 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
@Jake Fury said:

Fury gets a Punisher icon and suddenly he gets the big boy pants! ;)

Don't make me get my super awesome black van with the sonic doohickey on the top.
#45 Posted by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a lot better than Superman Return's outfit... and it already has the feel of Zack Snyder's other film " Sucker Punch".

Hopefully it's not "too dark".  Superman is not a dark character.  

I'm just hoping WB won't make all their DC films "dark" after the Green Lantern fiasco.  

Superman is supposed to be more like Iron Man, and not Batman.

#46 Posted by bingbangboom (746 posts) - - Show Bio

I am sorta surprised with no collar like the new design has shown in the new DC.

#47 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27716 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn I wish I could see if he's got pants on

#48 Posted by GTG12 (1572 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking awsome definatly going to see it.
#49 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3327 posts) - - Show Bio
@FortressoftheMoon said:
Agreed. Can't see what color his groin is though lol.
#50 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio

Something needs to be done about his hair man.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.