Favorite incarnation of Superman in comics, television or film

#1 Posted by FOOFAN007 (7 posts) - - Show Bio

What is your favorite depiction of Superman from comics, television and film? If you had to pick one or two which would they be?

#2 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Post-crisis pre-Falspoint Superman

#3 Posted by guardiandevil801 (272 posts) - - Show Bio

Smallville

#4 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio
Not perfect but still cool.
Marvels Superman is probably my favourite though.
#5 Edited by lemontron (62 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved DCAU Superman, he made me really appreciate the character

#7 Posted by BatWatch (2364 posts) - - Show Bio

I know it sounds a bit cheesy, but Superman for the Animals.

The story starts with Superman reading through the thousands of pieces of mail that he gets sent every week. Some of the mail contains deepest thanks, many have selfish wishes and attempts to exploit Superman, and a few are actual attempts to contact Superman for help. Anyway, Supes gets this one piece of mail from a kid, and the rest of the story is basically this kids story.

Long story short, the kid gets involved with a class clown who turns out to be a budding sociopath. Pretty soon, the sociopath is killing off class pets, maiming guard dogs, and torturing animals for fun. It culminates with the sociopath dumping a cat into traffic, pictured above, and Superman who just happens to be passing by catches the cat, gives the kids a disapproving look, and flies on to avert another crisis. After seeing Superman's value for such a simple life, the main character tells his parents about this issue, and the kid goes off for some treatment. The letter sent to Superman is simply a thanks to Superman for giving him the courage to do the right thing. After Clark reads the letter, we waits on the side of the street until the kid passes by, says, "I'm proud of you," and then flied off before the kid can turn around.

I love how this simple story shows how Superman is great for the small things he does, not just the kicking of super-goons' asses. It also shows how Superman can inspire others to good.

#8 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

#9 Posted by LeaderVladimir (150 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad: That's my fav Superman incarnation too.

#10 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@guardiandevil801 said:

Smallville

#11 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio

All Star and New Earth.

#12 Posted by Kairan1979 (16711 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman Beyond

#13 Edited by majestic99 (8638 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

The Pre-Flashpoint one.

#15 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio
Christopher Reeves
New Earth
All-Star Superman
#16 Edited by Thorion88 (310 posts) - - Show Bio

Post-Crisis/Pre-Flash Point Superman & the DCAU Superman.

#17 Posted by The Stegman (22988 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Crisis, especially the one in the Superman/Batman series 

#18 Posted by Skewer (325 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman the animated series

#19 Posted by CrimsonCake (2668 posts) - - Show Bio

Dcau superman and Also the one who had a mullet.

#20 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

i like superman to be powerful, but not to powerful and i really like all-star supermans power level. this story is what made me like superman

#21 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

Animated DCU Supes (namely Superman TAS, JL/JLU) are the only incarnations of the character I give a rat's wrinkly sack about.

#22 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (746 posts) - - Show Bio

Silver Age Superman, All-Star Superman, and New 52's t-shirt and jeans Superman.

#23 Edited by Wolfrazer (6020 posts) - - Show Bio

This one I like the most, reason being is from what I can remember he seemed to be really well balanced out and all that. The JL/JLU versions though are good too, I like all versions but the TAS one is my fav. 

Side note: Show was awesome.
#24 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

I know I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I really like Dean Cain's interpretation of Clark Kent in Lois and Clark. The reason being is that Clark is written and portrayed as an intelligent man, a good journalist and a great investigator. You could see how Lois could fall in love with Clark.

#25 Posted by Supes1903 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

While not my favorite, I really did enjoy Dean Cain's Clark but not really his Superman. New Earth is definitely my favorite though art wise, All-Star is my favorite powers wise.

#26 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5267 posts) - - Show Bio

Chris Reeves Superman. (Sentimental reasons). New 52 Clark as grown on me as well.

#27 Posted by GunGunW (996 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

#28 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@GunGunW: You could have said it better. By that I mean without the wrong spelling of "Flashpoint"... :D

#29 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wolfrazer said:

This one I like the most, reason being is from what I can remember he seemed to be really well balanced out and all that. The JL/JLU versions though are good too, I like all versions but the TAS one is my fav. Side note: Show was awesome.

I agree. Batman was always my favourite, but S:TAS and JL/JLU made me like Superman a lot more.

#30 Posted by MrShway88 (655 posts) - - Show Bio

Red Son

#31 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the elseworlds story where he was an alien monkey and knew martial arts and when he got angry he turned into a blonde and when it's full moon he turns into a big *ss ape.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.