Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Farewell to Smallville

• 152 results
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By jakob187

The last shot of Superman opening his shirt to reveal the suit reminded me a lot of Phoebe Cates busting 'em out in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Beyond that, the episode was meh.  The first hour was so ridiculously sappy that it drove me insane.  The second half wasn't nearly as action-packed as I thought it should've been.  The return of Lex was cool.  I hate how they treated Mercy Graves, but whatever.  She wasn't even really Mercy Graves.

DoctorTrips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102  Edited By DoctorTrips
    @grandharrier said:

Chloe marries Green Arrow? Red Arrow is their son? I mean, WTF?

I never got the impression that the kid was Red Arrow, seeing as how he's a kid...and blonde...and not Roy Harper...

He's very more than likely Smallville's version of Connor Hawke...which would make sense.
    GeeWhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103  Edited By GeeWhiz
    @Om1kron said:
    lois n clark > smallville. 

period. I'm so glad this 90210 trash is off of the air bastardizing one of the most iconic superheroes like ever. 

This is pretty much my opinion of the series.  It started off as a pretty interesting interpretation of the Superman mythos but degenerated into something completely stupid in the last 5 or so years.  They just created a complete mess with horrible writing and plots that even more horrible writing and plot couldn't fix.

One of the things that really annoyed me is that the Smallville world didn't feel real during the later years.  A lot of the scenes felt fake.  The daily planet never felt like a real place to me.  Clark and Lois's job as reporters never seemed real.  They would have scenes in the daily planet but there was no real interaction with the other employees.  They just seem to come and go as they pleased. 

A good example of this is in the "Toyman in Jail" scene in this season.  Lois visits the Toyman in jail and his jail cell is basically a lighted cell surrounded by dark.  A lot of scenes over the years were like this.  You have a set surrounded by darkness or unknown "regulars".

The wedding scene.  Did anybody else noticed that everyone in the wedding audience (with the exception of Chloe, Oliver Queen, and Martha Kent) is an unknown person?  Who were these guests?

I regret buying the DVDs of Smallville (based on the first few seasons which I liked).  The completist in me will buy the final season.  It became a chore to watch the later seasons so I doubt I will ever have the urge to watch them again.  But I'm glad I bought the Lois and Clark DVD set.  I've actually rewatched them and they hold up well for me.
    hellogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By hellogan

I've been a watcher of Smallville from the beginning. I imagine truthfully because there has really not been many other live action comic tv shows out there lately. And I've seen the good and the bad. Hell, I've watched Spiderman, The Incredible Hulk, Wonder Woman, even the Bionic Man and Woman, etc.... Although, Smallville had many flaws. For the most part I thought it was entertaining. There were many things I didn't like about the show personally... To name a few, I didn't like that they kept Superman grounded all these years. Everyone knows he's been able to fly since he was a boy really. I also didn't like the fact that they didn't reveal him in the suit until the last few minutes of the finale. (However, very predictable)

Most of the characters where ok and their portrail...I thought "Bo Duke" John Schneider was an excellent choice to play Jonathan Kent.  I despised the character of Chloe Sullivan though. I don't know what it was about her? But, something didn't fly right with me. And when I think about it... I'm amazed that they picked the Green Arrow to be one of his closest allies. You would think it would be someone like Hal Jordan or Bruce Wayne.  The show lasted 10 seasons though and that saying something in it's self. Good luck to all the actors not being type casted into other roles. And I hope they come up with something that will last just as long.

My last thought at the end of watching it was... "how much did they have to pay Warner Bros. for the music by John Williams?";)

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By LiquidPrince

Smallville was and is one of my favorite shows. It's depressing that it's done now, but I'm also really happy with the way it ended. Ten years I've been following the show, and I have so many fond memories of staying up late in the night in summer watching disc after disc of the show. 

Like I said, it's really sad, but I still have Supernatural, and Chuck to keep me going through the week. Not to mention I'm watching Lost as well. Hopefully that'll be enough.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Grim said:
    @Om1kron said:

period. I'm so glad this 90210 trash is off of the air bastardizing one of the most iconic superheroes like ever. 
    100% agree. I liked the first 5 seasons or so, when they were still keeping to the original idea of the show. But after that, when the logical idea would have been to have Clark leave Smallville and either explore the world or become Superman, they decided to drag it out with appearances from every hero and villain he would ever meet.  Sure, some of the Cameo episodes were cool, but all in all the last 4 seasons were just the CW milking their cash cow dry. Making Clark like the 8th hero to put on a costume? Having him save the world 20 different ways from big bads like Braniac and Doomsday before he even put on the costume?  The show basically nerfed the hell out of some of DC's greatest heroes and villains so that they could get the teen drama crowd. And as always, my biggest peeve is that if any of the millions of viewers decided they want more Superman, they cant go to the comics without getting incredibly confused about some of the key points of the Superman mythos.  i only watched it to see it end. But unlike most shows that try to wow and excite you to end it, Smallville just cleaned up some of the mess they made and gave a meager thank for watching for the last 10 years by showing you a few seconds of Tom's chest.
    Obviously you didn't understand the plot points well enough... Clark never faced any of the iconic characters properly. He never faced the real Zod, he only faced Doomsday for a really short moment before trapping him in the earths core (where he could later re-emerge and fight Clark as full on Superman) and Darkseid was only temporarily warded off. 

Also, Smallville as a show was way better then Lois n' Clark. 
    Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#107  Edited By Om1kron
    @LiquidPrince said:
    @Om1kron said:

Also, Smallville as a show was way better then Lois n' Clark. 
    Profit wise, yes, excitement wise no. Unless you're a kid, or gay. And I'm very serious about the gay part, not as some kind of insult. 

Dean Cain, cheesy or not filled out a superman outfit and actually wore it and kicked ass, and had lazer eyes, and had the babe. Teri Hatcher in her prime > ANY CHICK ON SMALLVILLE. Even the ones that don't really exist in ACTUAL SUPERMAN LAND!!! 

The only stupid costume on the show was the main characters. 

Smallville like I said is 90210 turned into some kind of foreplay that some human teenage boy with drama and friend issues is somehow going to fall into the role of superman. Why couldn't every other guest starring hero on the show just be in normal jeans and shirts colored like their real counterparts, why did they have to have shitty costumes and use real names from comics. 

Smallville took not a note, but a serenade from batman 3-4- and 5 and completely ruined the franchise while still keeping viewers interested by not having clark become superman. If he would've donned the costume anytime before this last episode, nobody would've continued watching the show. 

I guaren-damn-tee that. 
    Avatar image for arrested_developer
    Arrested_Developer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I'm relieved it's finally over.  I kind of got sick of the show the season Lex got shot in the head and a couple episodes later carved up with a knife and was no worse for wear.  But enough complaining, I kept with the show and enjoyed the finale.  Like others I wish their had been more suit action but 10 minutes of the suit and the Superman theme were enough to give me the geek giggles. 

Oh, and can someone explain why Chloe had a Smallville comic book but Clark was still playing the part of mild manner reporter?

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#109  Edited By SevanGrim
    @LiquidPrince: thats what "Nerfed" means. They softened them up so it would make sense for teenaged clark to beat them.
     You dont "temporarily Ward off" Darkseid by pushing his planet away. DS would have shown up and omega beamed Clarky for daring to defy his wishes. The fact that there was no fight between Clark and Darkseid is proof itself that they nerfed him. Brainiac. The only one i can think of who payed anywhere near his actual characters personalities or abilities was Bizzaro, and that was a stretch.
      Lois and Clark was a show that followed the rules it set down for itself, and didnt piss all over the the Superman mythos. It was character driven, and well written.
    Smallville was the absolute opposite of that. After season 5, They ignored the rules the show was based off of, and screwed over nearly every dc comics character they brought in
    (Mr. Mxy, Black Canary, Staro, Deathstroke, off the top of my head...). On top of that, every episode is driven by the 1990's looking action. And the writing was solid cheese.
      Im not saying the show was 100% horrible. Up until season 4 or so i really loved it. But i would never ever have considered it better than Lois and Clark.
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#110  Edited By Eyz

It was a bit messy, it was too much filed with "soap"/drama moments and could have been cut shorter by half of its time...but in the end, it shined in some places which we were all looking for.

What am I talking about? Both the finale and the whole series.

On another hand: I feel so cheated of both Black Manta and Captain Cold :(

seiibutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By seiibutsu

next up, gotham day and gotham knights! the story of how a billionaire became a bat and did some real ass kicking.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#112  Edited By kagato

Its a difficult act to follow, Smallville was one of the few shows geeky enough to appeal to fans of the movies/comics but mainstream enough that even my parents caught a few episodes.  How do you follow it up?  Maybe a TV Show about the JLA featuring the guys from Smallville?  Of course then, how does that work when Batman who is such a huge part of the league cant be used?  You seriously dont think a Raven show would work?  I like the idea of seeing a show based around her battling demons and the like, though who would you even get to play her?
    Neuron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#113  Edited By Neuron

There were some extremely good moments and a few disappointments for me, but overall it was really very good.  I always thought John Schneider was excellent and he knocked his scenes out of the park in the finale.  The almost-wedding faceoff was great.  The goodbyes to each of the cast members were pretty strong for the most part.  I was actually more excited to see Michael Rosenbaum as Lex again (my favorite Smallville character) than to see Tom Welling in the full suit.  Their faceoff was short but very effective.  As tragic as Tess's end was, that whole scene was pretty dark and fitting.  By far my favorite single scene was the confrontation with Lionel/Darkseid in the barn, specifically Jor-El allowing Clark to "graduate" and unlocking his flight.  That was amazingly well done.  Another great scene was Clark receiving the suit in the Fortress.  The last portion where Clark saves AFO and pushes Apokolips away was a pretty cool Superman sequence, though we only got glimpses of him.  The epilogue was really well done, with all of the classic elements present and accounted for.  Great last shot.

I was slightly disappointed by not seeing the full suit except from a distance, like many others.  I liked what they showed of it, but that one full-on shot was noticeably missing.  I guess Welling really, really didn't want to wear that suit?  My other major complaint was Lex apparently losing all of his Smallville memories.  Maybe I misunderstood, but it seemed like everything from the last ten years was just gone.  That seems like doing the character a major disservice and taking away Lex's whole motivation to be evil; if he forgets the last ten years, then he's back to being a fairly decent guy, right?  Sure, he has problems with his father, but his whole descent into darkness is erased.  I just didn't understand the point of that.  Other problems I had were pretty minor and nitpicky, like pushing Apokolips away (yes, I know he's Superman, but that seemed to be even beyond his power level).  Lionel as Darkseid was goofy and could have been done better, I'm thinking more along the lines of Boss Dark Side from Final Crisis.  I did like the Chloe prologue/epilogue and obviously they were paying homage to the comic book scene from Superman: The Movie, but how does that comic book even exist?  I assumed Chloe ended up in some alternate timeline, but apparently not.  It was also too bad we didn't get to see how he was named Superman.

But!  It was enjoyable and a very good episode in the end, and a fitting finale.

As for the people trying to explain Smallville as being "non-canon" and in an "alternate universe", I just have to laugh.  There have been so many incarnations of Superman of the years in comics, television, and movies, written by hundreds of different people.  They are ALL alternate versions of the same character.  Smallville is no less valid than any other.  And it was the best live action television presentation of Superman we've had yet.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#114  Edited By Billy Batson

Nice article

furrynick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By furrynick
    @DP812
     Wow i thought i was the only one felt like that, but I totally agree with you, and i'm happy to konw i'm not the only one who thought the same about the show. My thing also the whole time about the show, what's Super man without his Super man suit? I'm really surprise that it lasted as long as it did without never having him wear his trade mark Super man suit.

GeeWhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By GeeWhiz

Here's an example of what I mean by lousy writing.

At the end of the show when Clark (wearing glasses and being clumsy) bumps into Lois and says, "Oops, sorry Miss Lane".  Why on earth would he say that?  He's been working with Lois for years in the Daily Planet where they are on a first name basis.  I'm assuming the many unknown people at their wedding 7 years ago were Planet employees.  It makes no sense for him to address Lois as "Miss Lane" at this point in their lives.
    Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#117  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Its finally gone, now what am I going to watch now!!

SOMEBODY SAAAAAAVVVVE MEEEEEEEE!!!!! 
    karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#118  Edited By karrob
    @darkrider said:
     goodbye smallville 
    suuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By suuperman

really hate that the thumbnail to this article is so spoilery, some people havent watched it yet and are wondering if they will see exactly that shot.

Blue Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Blue Son

Hate to say it, I wasn't impressed by the final episode...Darkseid was a joke, the monologuing was painful, and it was a waste of two hours just to see mostly a generated image of him in the suit, and then him doing the shirt busting open scene, I missed going to the movies to see Thor for this and I have to say I was completely disappointed.

And what the HELL was with him talking to his dead father the whole damn time?!

They could have made this final Smallville HUGE, instead they do what they always do...CHOKE...goodbye Smallville and good riddance...my time will be taken watching SuperNatural now...

Birthright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Birthright

The best part is that the budget is so low for this episode they can't even put hair gel on Clark's hair to make him look different.

chrisburgess99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By chrisburgess99

Overall Smallville is the blueprint for any comic based tv show. There were a few cheesey parts that they should never have used or fleshed it out.  The Red Arrow kid was lame. Darkseid and the whole build up to a battle should have been definitely been fleshed out. It would have been better to see Clark in costume and not computer generated.

I will give props to tying the series finale up with showing Luthor becoming President, which they did in season one, and showing his trials from the past seasons. The faithful who have been watching for 10 seasons were able to see Superman in the end a payoff for the everyone who had been watching the last 10 years. I was glad to see this last season that everyone that had been part of the decade spanning story was able to make a brief cameo here and there. Kristen Kreuk aka Lana never appeared. The other disappoinments were all the "Justice Leaguers" never appeared on screen and The Hawkman Hawkgirl story never came to pass. There was actress who signed to play Hawkgirl at the beginning of the season. There was an article posted here on comicvine.

Overall very good. Began strong, stayed strong, and ended strong. The heroes and villians stayed true to therer comic book counterparts and did not get too far off comic book reservation status.

ENGLENTINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1004

#123  Edited By ENGLENTINE

What I would have done different.

2 episodes ago for no good reason, Clark and Ollie went to the Phantom Zone to deal with Zod.

It wasn't necessary. His story was done.

Instead

This is the episode where we deal with the whole Wedding and Father issues. It ends with the revelation of the Gold Krytonite and Apocalypse blocking the Sun.

The episode before the finale begins with the Ollie and Clark fight, and has a call to arms, as you find the Omega affect has the ability to transform ordinary people into para demons bent on doing Darkseids bidding.  The Justice League forms , but with the lack of leadership they begin to fall to superior numbers and a return of Darkseids major desciples and return villains from past Smallville episodes ( Who wouldn't want to see Amy Adams eating people again ).

That is when Clark, accepting his role as a hero, finally puts on the suit.  The episode ends in an Iconic shot of him against the globe

Finale : It begins with he and the Justice League in a fight with the three minions and the infected crowd.  They defeat them. Seeing this new hero emerge Darkseid sees him as a threat capable enough to destroy his plans. So he makes his appearance.

Fighting and defeating the Justice League.  Clark as Superman speeds in, he too is knocked down and seemingly defeated, we see the flashbacks and he feels inspired by the words of Jonathan Kent and Jor - El.  We see him lift up into the air where he knocks a rising Darkseid  out of the sky.

We then see im fly even higher and Apocalypse moves out of the way of the sun.

This inspires "the darkness" out of people as they see him descend from the sky, leaving he and the rest of the Justice League to defeat a now de powered Darkseid.

A few words from all the supporting characters. A kiss from Lois

The episode ends with him flying in orbit with the Earth behind him. He banks to the left. Cue credits.

but that is just my fantasy ending. It would have been a hell of a lot more expensive

Birthright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Birthright

I'm suprised that nobody even said "Look up in the sky!". So many things they missed in the finale. This season lacked other heroes and had to many damn fillers.

Avatar image for green_lantern_2814_5
    Green Lantern 2814.5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was hoping the Legion of Doom would be in this episode after their cameo in the episode before. I just thought seeing each hero from the JLA pitted against the Legion of Doom with some epic music in the back would just be awesome. Also, I thought it'd b cool if Darkseid and Clark were all fighting and Clark gets thrown into some building and its right then the Supes persona comes out and we see Superman rising from the dust as Remy Zero's Save Me plays. Sigh...

MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By MKF30

This series was awesome and epic, period :)

May not have been perfect, but what is? Nothing....it was damn close. Sure, I would have loved to see more "battle sequences and Clark more in the suit/welling" but people have to remember something called TV budget....

Considering, they did a damn good job and I'll gladly say Smallville>>>>Superman Returns, Superman 4...
    ThanoStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By ThanoStomp

A bit of a letdown.  A big build up to him donning the suite and we got, what...maybe 15 seconds of him in it?

Like others, I would have loved to see a big battle similar to the animated series with Darkseid.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

@Captainthunder: I agree with you. Even Oliver wasn't surprised to see Clark can fly. I mean how he can even recognize that's Clark flying? 
    Phoenix_Pulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Phoenix_Pulse

For me I wanted to at least see the Justice League with every member on there to show up for a big fight against Darksied's demons and have Clark lead the group as Superman but other than that it was good not the best but good

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

I enjoyed watching Smallville for 10 seasons. I could only say that it's a decent show even though it's not that great. Some were bad and some were good. The finale was sort of a letdown though. The battle between Clark and Darkseid was way too short. I mean way too short.

DOOOOOOMSDAY!
    DOOOOOOMSDAY!
    Also, the flashback scenes were too long. It wasn't that necessary to show all of them while Clark was watching. I liked the fact that Lex Luthor came back. But it wasn't the right time for him to appear in the last episode since the Apokolips was coming to hit Earth. His screen time was short not even enough to explain what Lionel Luthor 2 was doing at the time.  Also, where is Cat Grant and Dr. Hamilton? Dr. Hamilton wasn't even invited in the wedding? Plus, the whole talk of calling on and off marriage between the DC lovebirds were too long. The Superman suit looked CGI and I was really like wow really? That's how Tom Welling's Superman looks like? Oh yeah, Green Arrow single-handedly finished off Darkseid's three minions in one go. Nice shot, Green Arrow. You're always the best archer there is. I'm also surprised that Oliver has a son with Chloe Sullivan. I wonder what his son will turn out to be in the future. Maybe the next Green Arrow. Anyways, the episode was ok. Not bad, not great. It was great to see the return of the original cast except Lana since she became a superhero. Hello Lana, Lois and Clark nearly got married and their wedding got interrupted by Apokolips while you're out somewhere saving the day. Who knows what you're doing? The acting wise and special effects were great. I give this final flight episode a 3 out of 5.
    Birthright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Birthright

I'll admit that the scene when Clark was changing into the suit mid-air in the Fortress of Solitude is easily one of the most badass Superman scenes I've seen in quite a while.

Thowell3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Thowell3

Personally I felt that it was 95% Filler with only 5% of actually good stuff. Like it was mostly just Dicking around for 2 hours. and pulling plot closers out of there asses: Ie Lex forgetting about Clark Being Superman, Green Arrow only Doing one thing as Green Arrow, The Wedding. All this stuff was just rail roaded  to the final scene. They spent like an Hour going over the Will they Wont they marry thing like For gods sake that gets annoying after a while. Same with the constant montages for like almost every  major event in the last 10 Years. We get it  things have happened, but when you are reminding us of Better episodes that the one we are watching you really need to re-think your writing.

apg103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By apg103

episode was ok.
    lex was the best part. 
    GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By GREGalicious

On its own, it was mediocre at best, but for all this buildup, it was pretty LAME.

Definitely not one of the best Smallville episodes or series finales in general.

SilverGalford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By SilverGalford

i didn't like this tv serie so much, dude how on earth are you going to represent darkseid and doomsday in that way? that was so terrible if you ask me. but the heroes were a little bit ok.  

supermanprime6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#136  Edited By supermanprime6

I liked it, I mean it was one of the best finales since Gough and Miller left the show. However, this was supposed to be the biggest, most amazing episode of the whole series -- and it wasn't. 

Things I liked about it:
    The story was good. I kept trying to figure out how they were going to work Darkseid into the story of Clark becoming Superman, and the writers really did a phenomenal job of this. I also liked that Lex's memories were wiped so that he could become the villain he is supposed to be the way he did in the comics, by having a true hatred of Superman. Not by having grown up with Clark and being jealous of him and all that was in the earlier seasons of Smallville

With that said:
    What I didn't like about it and how it should have ended:
    Since the story in Smallville was that the followers were the reason Apokolips was being pulled toward earth and that the only way to stop it was to have their connection to Darkseid severed by hope, the scene where Superman first appears should have been built up A LOT more and lasted A LOT longer. Like, the episode before the finale should have had Apokolips hurtling toward earth putting the whole planet in panic and fear. This would have allowed for more people to succumb to the darkness, because let's face it, if the only people that were marked by Darkseid were in Metropolis, that's not really enough to bring Apokolips on. Then, the finale should have started with Clark facing Darkseid/Lionel and pretty much the rest being Superman appearing, word spreading across the planet, people gaining hope, and Superman pushing Apokolips away, which would have became increasingly easier as more people saw him and gained hope, decreasing the pull of Apokolips toward earth. This lasted about a minute and a half in the show but really should have been the whole episode since the whole point of Smallville was to show Clark becoming Superman. A good analogy to how the scene should have played out is how the scene played out in Superman Returns when Superman pushed the kryptonite island away from the planet. Also, we didn't get to see any of the planet's reaction to Superman. I mean, if there was ever a time for a scene of Superman floating along side an American flag atop a skyscraper as the world cheered, this was it.

But, all that aside, i did enjoy the finale and I immensely enjoyed the series as a whole. I hate to see it go and I look forward to the future of Superman.
    charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#137  Edited By charlieboy

i just watched it and i thought it was great. it made the geekboy who spent ten years watching this show very happy.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#138  Edited By Mrfuzzynutz

never was a fan of the show, the only things I liked where Supergirl, Zatanna, and BOOSTER GOLD!

but I can imagine the budget had something to do with it, but no full body shots of the suit?

but as as ending, it fell flat for me since I was not emotionally invested in the characters
    sa5m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#139  Edited By sa5m

Goodbye =(

caesarsghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#140  Edited By caesarsghost

goodbye Smallville, you have been a faithful friend for the past 10 years. Loved the music in the ending scene, watched it again and again yelling "SUPERMAN!" at the top of my lungs. Annoyed my neighbors, but what the hell!

Birthright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Birthright

This guy like the ending

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#142  Edited By Green ankh

I got into the show late.  Green Arrow apearing is what got me to watch. over the years some great episodes and some crap. But all in all i enjoyed what Smallville did. The different take on things never bothered me.

alphamale73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#143  Edited By alphamale73

disappointing.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I JUST watched the last episode, DVRed it.  And I have to say, I was disappointed.
    Spiolers below!
    I was expecting at least one shot of Tom Welling in a Superman costume, and while I watched the show that got me thinking, since this is the last episode why not have him wearing the suit most of the ending (and not just one shot of him in costume about to fly) but we didn't get that.
    We got extreme close ups of his face, and far shots of a CG Superman.  We didn't even get one shot of Welling in the costume.  The second half of the show seemed a little too all over the place for me.
    They are about to get married, but then the big disaster interrupts them, so he leaves the wedding to go look for Tess, then he finds Lex Luther, and then goes and talks to his mother and goes and talks to Jor El, and his father's ghost.  We also get a scene of Lionel and Tess, just seemed a little all over the place.
    One thing I did like was how they did sort of montages of various scenes from the series featuring Clark and another featuring Lex.  (Too bad Kristen Kruek didn't return, they could have had one with Lana.  Or they could have done one with Lois, or perhaps even Chloe.)  At times it felt a little slow, but those moments felt like the show was pausing for a second to think "Aw, its almost over."
    I would have liked to see the last half of the second part feature more of Clark as Superman.  The reason he ends up getting into the costume was to inspire the masses who were going to be lost to Darkseid if they weren't full of hope, but that seemed jumbled too.  When he eventually puts on the suit the crowd sees him fly over, but barely, then the big planet is moved away, and they are saved (full of hope) but there isn't a moment where Superman flies into view and the crowd sees him and thinks its the "Blur" and he says no, its Superman (or something).  There wasn't a moment where he showed himself to the masses and told them he was here to save the day, so for the most part people still didn't know he existed.  Another small thing, but since Green Arrow was there as a best man, why not show Kid Flash, Cyborg, and Aquaman as well?  Maybe bring in the other heroes who have appeared and put them in the crowd at the wedding.
    I would have done things differently, but it was an OK last episode.  But like the last episode of Steve Correll on the Office I would have made some changes.
    What I would have loved to see is that the main villain in the last episode could have been Lex and also the coming of Darksied.  As Superman Clark could have stopped both, but not completely.  Lex could get away, and the audiance would know that he was going to be there causing trouble in the future, and Darksied could have been stopped from coming to Earth but not defeated so he would still be out there trying to come to Earth and destroy it (a line like Darksied will try again, but I will always be here to stop it.)

In a JLA story about the invasion of the white martians Superman gets on the TV, and is broadcast to the entire world, because he is a face they trust and inspires hope.  He tells the people of the world what to do.  That was sort of what I was hoping for.  I wanted Lois to use the camera to video broadcast the first images of Superman (Clark in costume) to the world, and maybe call him Superman.  Suddenly everyone around the world sees Superman save the plain, and stopping the giant planet, live on TV right in front of their eyes.
    Now everyone knows he exists, they know he is here, good, and will save the day, and that his name is Superman.  That was what I was hoping for, and at least one shot of Welling actually in costume.

But again, overall the episode was good, and it nicely wrapped up things while letting the audience know that the story continues.

sweatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#145  Edited By sweatboy

"  Hell yeah, I wanted to see Superman go up against Darkseid. Do we get the awesome knock-down drag out fight we could hope for? Not even close. " 

---so true

" Right at the final moment, the threat to the world stops the wedding from becoming official."
    ---felt like most of the show was about the wedding. Comparing it to Lois & Clark which ALSO had a long "will they ever get married" plot (which was ALSO seen in the comics) Smallville paid too much attention to little drama stuff that weren't half as good as Lois & Clark's,.. and none of the words spoken in the beginning especially by Martha did NOT actually make sense! And after all that drama, there was that little part about saving the world, but i think in most Superhero dramas, they would have a little action in the last few minutes, and the rest of the episode is USUALLY BUILDING UP TO IT,.. like detective work to figure out who's the moron responsible, ( http://www.thewb.com/shows/lois-and-clark-the-new-adventures-of-superman/chi-of-steel/21a3f138-9f96-4eb7-be02-9da75aba7c6f) and maybe  few small fights in some episodes, and DEFINITELY,..drama, (BUT MORE LIKE they had in the first few seasons of Smallville rather than the later episodes which were NOT fulfilling, even things like Blue Beetle or the Female Furies or ULTRAMAN! bring you back in. 

Now i kept falling asleep during the show (but they're showing it again RIGHT NOW)

" I wanted more of the suit."
    ---a lot of my friends did, and, i guess it was cool, it looked traditonal and it aslo looked,.. hey was the Symbol slightly more triangular? which apparently HAD been the original form), but did TomWelling DESERVE the suit? then again did any actor deserve the suit? in that last rooftop scene i thought he made Superman look like a douche. I mean Superman's not all about strength and a tough face 24/7, but in a way Tom Welling's always portrayed Superman's moral-ness well, seen VERY WELL where he played his evil self at the SAME TIME.

But i liked the ending. Like you said i HAD to watch the ending! And that last scene at the planet, with a young Olson (who apparently was Jimmy's BROTHER, (which to me made sense because the actor who played JIMMY had a BROTHER! ) ) following Lois around and stuff was JUST SO back to Superman. I mean Lois still knew about Superman, which was NOT something that's related to the movies OR comics OR Lois & Clark,.. they screwed this show up the MOMENT they let Lois in. I'd rather have had Clark saving a different girl everyday after Lana, but failing to get her.
    But yeah that last scene (INSIDE daily planet) really put a smile on my face.

Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Sydpart2

That "fight" with Darkseid was pathetic

MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By MKF30

@Croi, dude they HAD to wipe his mind one way or another because Lex knew CLARK KENT personally and that he was Superman.....Kal-El etc

That's why it made sense and thus wasn't irrelevant, personally it would have been better if MMH had done it deleting just his knowledge of knowing Clark had powers but hey, nobody is perfect.

It was by far the best Superman show ever on TV as far as I'm concerned and 10 years is impressive and a feat for any TV show, especially these days...
    allison_scag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By allison_scag

From actually working on the show I've got to say to say that the season finale was overall impressive. Yes some fans were disappointed with the use of CGI outfit, but you have to
    consider again the shows budget, and the possibility that their could of been restrictions placed on the show to not show  the full outfit.

nobodythere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#149  Edited By nobodythere

Never watched the show and after reading this, seeing the exceptionally brief footage of a CGI Tom Welling as Superman I have to say I'm glad I never did. Ten years of build up and when they finally let Welling do what the fans have wanted forever and a day its far away and mostly computer generated. What a crock.

weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By weaponxx

Finally caught up and finished the series... The finale was dissapointing, but from the rest of the season, somewhat expected I guess. Problems: Practically no fight scenes. Again a build up of the big bad, in this case Darkseid, and he doesn't even physically manifest or do anything. The wedding was tooooo much of the seasons story. Where are all the other league members? I know this is a story about clark, but everything just seemed like an excuse. Kara, you have to leave, go to the future. League members who had seating arrangements at the wedding never appeared. We never get to see Clark in uniform really.  Tess's role was very jumbled and not even considered at points. No one cared or realized (I am talking about the characters) she wasn't at the wedding? 

Things I did like:Johnathan Kent and Lex's return.  

I LOVED this show for many years, but a few things were huge problems for me. The show rarely delivered fight scenes. There is tons of hype; Zod, Doomsday, Darkseid, etc and they never really do anything. I think the "best" fight scene with the main guys was when Zod possessed Lex, and even then Clark never landed a hit on Zod and just got his butt kicked. There are many smaller/less powerful character fight scenes that are much better... this doesn't make any sense. The show had huge cast changes, I guess unavoidably since it was 10 years, but original long lasting members: Clark, Lana, Chloe, Pete, Lex, Lionel, Martha, Johnathan, and only Clark and somewhat Chloe were strong till the end? That is awful. When Lex and Lana left the show, and Lois joined... that is when everything started going very down hill. I think I might be in the minority on this, but Lois is the worst character on Smallville. I dont' know why, I like Lois for the most part in the comics and the animated stuff, but in Smallville.... she just drives me nuts. Everything she says just annoys me and I don't see how anyone can like her, especially Clark.  

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.