Explain Please

#1 Posted by X (225 posts) - - Show Bio

Could someone explain to me how Superman can lift huge objects such as cruise ship, airplane, or even move a planet without the objects buckling and breaking under the pressure? My gym partner shrugs 7 45pound plates on each side of a 45 pound bar thats 675 pounds and the bar bends so how can superman lift huge objects?

#2 Posted by Supes1903 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

The basic explanation is that he can extend his own personal barrier around the objects he's lifting thus allowing them not to crumble under their own weight.

#3 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

He is a comic book character.......don't over think it.

#4 Posted by Izaiah (5166 posts) - - Show Bio

The classic explanation is that he subconsciously encases objects in a telekinetic field when he lifts them, preventing them from crumbling under their own weight.  Not sure if this is canon to the DCnU though.

#5 Posted by X (225 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank guys been buggin me for awhile

#6 Edited by Cap10nate (2156 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

Exactly. Or else you could start wondering why the Hulk can spontaneously create hundreds of pounds of mass, or how Cyclops doesn't blow out the back of his skull, or how do certain characters fly without 'logical' explanations, or any other characters abilities that don't make sense

. . . it just does

#7 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3483 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, the bar your friend uses is not made for that much force. Airplanes are a bit more sturdy than that.

#8 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.