Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18885 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Doomsday or Superdoom?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By entropy_aegis

The topic is rather self explanatory,which character do you prefer? personally I feel Superdoom is a vast improvement over Doomsday,he's Doomsday done right. Like Doomsday he's an unstoppable creature of hate and fear but unlike him he has some personality and actual dynamic/relationship with Supes. The problem with Doomsday is that he is a plot device character who doesn't accommodate the story but forces the story to accommodate him and not really a Superman villain either,he's just likes to punch things,he could just as easily fight WW,Shazam etc.

This is ofcourse Morrisons Superdoom,not Superman with Doomsday inside him stupidity that's happening right now.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think doomsday became moot the second the universe rebooted and the death of superman was taken out of continuity.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither doomsday is like bane ( maybe even worse) he's a one trick pony. He was solely created to kill superman. He accomplish that decades ago and he hasn't been in anything note worthy sense. Superdoom is to silly to me read.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Outside_85

Prefer Doomsday, it's kinda the king of the 'monster of the week', all you need to tell a story is provide a reason for it to get out and break things so Superman can arrive and save the day.

Superdoom... well he's to me more in the vein of Dr. Doomsday, a novelty item that's fun to see once, but at the end you are probably happy its not coming back.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prefer Doomsday, it's kinda the king of the 'monster of the week', all you need to tell a story is provide a reason for it to get out and break things so Superman can arrive and save the day.

Superdoom... well he's to me more in the vein of Dr. Doomsday, a novelty item that's fun to see once, but at the end you are probably happy its not coming back.

Yeah that's probably the greatest thing going against Superdoom but I still think he's the better monster of the week.

Neither doomsday is like bane ( maybe even worse) he's a one trick pony. He was solely created to kill superman. He accomplish that decades ago and he hasn't been in anything note worthy sense. Superdoom is to silly to me read.

Um Doomsday is nothing like Bane.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Lvenger

@entropy_aegis: I didn't actually like SuperDoom initially when he first appeared in Action Comics #9. Nor did I like that issue actually. But when he showed up towards the end of Morrison' Action Comics run, his presence and ethos worked much better IMO. Being a corrupted, corporised and twisted version of Superman really made his threats more meaningful and his attacks all the more potent. Morrison really made SuperDoom a credible threat by the story's end and a symbolic contrast for what Superman stands for. So I'll give a vote to SuperDoom.

Also people may think that you're referring to the current SuperDoom for the record lol.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Outside_85

@entropy_aegis: I wont really call him a 'monster of the week' in this new shape, not if DC decides that Doomsday is now going to be a disease that latches onto really powerful characters, where we risk ending up with Doomed-like events every time it shows up. Imagine it latches onto Shazam the next time, then Wonder Woman gets a go and so on.

It's a rather logical step to take with a character like Doomsday thats all about evolution, since it's now copied the most successful one there is, but in the process of logic you sorta take away the initial appeal. It's a bit like how Marvel caught flack for making the Ultimate Ga-Lak-Tus a swarm of robots instead of a giant in purple Kirby Armor.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Loved Superdoom, especially those moments written by Soule in the mind. I like how he was giving Clark false confidence and then tried to kill him

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved Superdoom, especially those moments written by Soule in the mind. I like how he was giving Clark false confidence and then tried to kill him

This is Morrison's SuperDoom, the meaningful and creative take on the Doomsday creature. Not the hacked off unoriginal trite called SuperDoom that's going on currently.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@saint_wildcard said:

This is Morrison's SuperDoom, the meaningful and creative take on the Doomsday creature. Not the hacked off unoriginal trite called SuperDoom that's going on currently.

Yeah I realized that a few seconds after posting. But I hardly remember anything about Morrison's SuperDoom or him standing out. Had an interesting origin but I hardly remember him as an interesting persona.

deadpool92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My choice is Doomsday.

Was Superdoom really just in 6 issues?

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, original Doomsday aaaaalll the way for me.

Very true. One of my favorite parts of Doomed.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard said:

Very true. One of my favorite parts of Doomed.

I wish I could find the scans of the annual, Doom is such a prick it's hilarious.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard:

I wish I could find the scans of the annual, Doom is such a prick it's hilarious.

Some of those?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard:

Some of those?

YEAH!! That second scan always get me XD

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Prefer Doomsday before, he is the ultimate unstoppable Juggenaut, that's his thing. Now he's just some kind of parasite. :\

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

SuperDoom. He looks cool and he can be used in a variety of stories while Doomsday is a one trick pony.
    Also Superdoom has a better origin(even though some parts don't make sense).

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SaintWildcard

@bruxae said:

Prefer Doomsday before, he is the ultimate unstoppable Juggenaut, that's his thing. Now he's just some kind of parasite. :\

They are talking about the Grant Morrison one not the one from Doomed

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@saint_wildcard said:

Yeah I realized that a few seconds after posting. But I hardly remember anything about Morrison's SuperDoom or him standing out. Had an interesting origin but I hardly remember him as an interesting persona.

I told Entropy that people were gonna comment on it thinking it was the current SuperDoom and not Morrison's one. He should have added that in for good measure :P

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: Not exactly.I like them both for different reasons, just that the original doomsday doesn't make sense without having that original title of the creature that killed superman, the character looses all it's weight.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: uh yeah he is. What is bane know for? For breaking the batman, something he's done decades ago. He hasn't done anything noteworthy to since.

He'll jus recently in one of the forever evil tie-in he got beat by batman in a muscle to muscle fight.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SaintWildcard

@lvenger said:

@saint_wildcard said:

Me neither, he was just saying standard bad guy lines. I also thought it was Doomed Superdoom.... I am dissapoint

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither. Doomsday is a one-trick pony, but Super-Doom is basically Morrison poking fun at 90's grim-dark Superman.

Which was funny for all of thirty seconds when I read the President Superman issue, followed by me repeatedly banging my head on the desk in disbelief that Morrison actually went for such a cheap shot.

I mean seriously, a creature created and shaped by the demands of the consumer turns out to be a hyper-violent anti-hero asshole? And he thinks he's the best, and wants to get rid of all "inferior versions"?

Gee, thanks Morrison, I haven't seen an author be that condescending towards his audience since whatever crap Mark Millar wrote recently.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superdoom, they are struggling too much to make doomsday relevant in the Nu52.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: I wont really call him a 'monster of the week' in this new shape, not if DC decides that Doomsday is now going to be a disease that latches onto really powerful characters, where we risk ending up with Doomed-like events every time it shows up. Imagine it latches onto Shazam the next time, then Wonder Woman gets a go and so on.

It's a rather logical step to take with a character like Doomsday thats all about evolution, since it's now copied the most successful one there is, but in the process of logic you sorta take away the initial appeal. It's a bit like how Marvel caught flack for making the Ultimate Ga-Lak-Tus a swarm of robots instead of a giant in purple Kirby Armor.

That's not a bad idea. I'd say go a bit further and let it amplify certain things about the people it infects. Batmans' paranoia to the point that he perceives everything as a threat and goes on a rampage, thinking he's protecting people.

Cyborgs' fear that he's less than human, attempting to destroy all other life to make himself the only "human" left.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, well if it's that one... eh... honestly, that group of Superman haters Morrison assembled really didn't strike me as terribly interesting and the SuperDoom guy just struck me as a sort of manifestation of Superman's fears, that he too is turning into an unstoppable monster.

@scouterv:
    True, but for those two, we don't really need a Doomsday infection and Cyborg has already had one which resulted in the Titans/JLA: Technis Imperative story. If DC had been Marvel, I could see them doing a 'Batman gone nuts' event, but DC is all in all too afraid to make the kinds of changes to support such a story and keep it.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made the distinction between the Superdooms' quite clear in the OP.

But that's what I'm saying,Doomsday has no reason to be a Supes foe,he could be fighting any other powerful hero. Superdoom works in the context of Superman stories as Lvenger pointed out.

Neither. Doomsday is a one-trick pony, but Super-Doom is basically Morrison poking fun at 90's grim-dark Superman.

Which was funny for all of thirty seconds when I read the President Superman issue, followed by me repeatedly banging my head on the desk in disbelief that Morrison actually went for such a cheap shot.

I mean seriously, a creature created and shaped by the demands of the consumer turns out to be a hyper-violent anti-hero asshole? And he thinks he's the best, and wants to get rid of all "inferior versions"?

Gee, thanks Morrison, I haven't seen an author be that condescending towards his audience since whatever crap Mark Millar wrote recently.

Parallax,Az-Bat and Cyborg Superman, it's true when you think about it.

@entropy_aegis: uh yeah he is. What is bane know for? For breaking the batman, something he's done decades ago. He hasn't done anything noteworthy to since.

He'll jus recently in one of the forever evil tie-in he got beat by batman in a muscle to muscle fight.

No,just stop please. What exactly have characters like Scarecrow,Two-Face,Riddler etc have done? sorry but you're setting unreasonable conditions. Bane stopped being a villain after the Legacy story,I dont want to get dragged in to this debate,it's not even about Bane. But seeing as I have read every comic with both Bane and Doomsday suffice to say neither character are ANYTHING alike.

He got beat because plot,seriously WTH.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lvenger

Why did you think Morrison was being condescending or unjustly poking fun at the 90s? Despite the good storylines that came out of that period, the 90s was a time of uber violence and brutal anti heroes. In what way does it count as a cheap shot to write in a villain that is a metaphorical representation of what happened to superheroes in the 90s?

ESchrammbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ESchrammbo

@entropy_aegis: I just want to play Captain Obvious for a moment and say --- Superman who turns into a raging GREY behemoth when angry?

Superman SMASH! RRARGH! Me smash puny tv impostor!

Gee, not taking TOO much off the original grey incredible hulk from 1963, are we? "If it weren't for them, I wouldn't exist. Humans don't deserve to live. I'm gong to destroy every one of them" is a rough rephrase of his speech I read in reprints of Incredible hulk 2 - 6 in college. He was smart, psychotic and deadly. His alter-ego is a humanitarian. Wow.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.