Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Donners Superman suit design vs Singers vs Synders

Avatar image for deactivated-5c63f773eaecf
    deactivated-5c63f773eaecf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Not a battle of who is physically superior, but a fashion war!!! This topic is for me to blow off some steam about the crap stories and design being used for the new superman

I got into the stupidest debate today with some friends who clearly never read a single superman comic or saw the donner movies. A lot of people were cool with Singers odd choice of suit design, the color scheme was dull looking and the little s invoked a sense of being not superman at all, even though the original superman designs had it, it was 70 years ago and does not fit with the current mentality of what SUPERMAN is. I really hated Singers movie, it was an abomination and defamation of the character i love most. This movie was one of the biggest failures of all time, 200mill to make and it made almost nothing in return, the movie only banked on the advertising which was the entire basis for singer doing things the way he did, do things so badly that people have no choice but to go see it opening day and to buy all the merchandising.

Seems Synder is doing the same thing, ruining the character, warping and changing superman yet again, no other comic character has been altered and reformed to fit modern times as many times as superman has been, i wish they would stop raping superman already and leave him alone. If you have seen the trailers he leaves large jet streams in his wake in the sky when he flys, i dont claim to be a true expert but ive read a few hundred superman comics in my time and i dont recall him venting exhaust or vapor trails from his feet, nor do i think the kryptonian race was a warring society, i though they were peaceful nd that supermans suit was made from the materials his dad put into his pod that lined the place kal el was sitting in, like a crib liner. In the new movie man of steel, superman wears scaled armor Is that not anti superman in every respect? Am i the only comic fan upset over this? THe S design is just awful and is right out of lord of the rings, its like something an elf would wear and its funny because the trailer used lord of the rings music in it, perfect fit if you ask me. It is also FAT in the center area, supermans s should never invoke fattness in anyway and it looks buldged, bloated and strange in a negative way.

seriously, i had a debate with some friends over the new trailer and i am absolutely alone in saying it looks like they could care less about the character at all and want to humanize him even more than singer did, people dont realize superman is not human and should not be made into a dark, gritty, realistic fashion. I go to the movies to escape reality, now they take some of my favorite fantasy characters and made them as if they were real...rip james bond and superman. Oh and also, you wouldnt make a reboot of indiana jones without at least some of the john williams cues, you dont have to revamp the entire soundtrack and do it like singer did and just use quire boy music for it all and totally ruin the love theme for superman and lois, you wouldnt redo back to the future without some of the cues, you wouldnt redo the godfather without that main theme, just like you should not do superman without some of the original williams score. Some friends giving me a seriously hard time over this lol...all of them said superman returns was going to be amazing, i guess i am alone in my views?

true superman fans over here <--- anyone agree with me?

posers here---->

TERMINATOR1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TERMINATOR1000

@P0rtal: not a battle spike... ( if thats you. ) good seeing ya again.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By danhimself

@P0rtal: this thread makes me like you

P0wer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By P0wer

I agree with ya...LoL

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#6  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @P0rtal: So this isn't a thread asking what suit design pepole like more but one for you to bitch and moan and spew a bunch of hate? Oh and saying anybody that doesn't agree with you is a poseur is pretty small minded not to mention stupid.
    theicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By theicon

donner the best

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Sovereign91001

If you have seen the trailers he leaves large jet streams in his wake in the sky when he flys, i dont claim to be a true expert but ive read a few hundred superman comics in my time and i dont recall him venting exhaust or vapor trails from his feet,

He's not 'venting exhaust',it's called the Prandtl–Glauert singularity and it's used to show he is breaking the sound barrier. It's just to bring a degree of realism into the Superman mythos.

nor do i think the kryptonian race was a warring society, i though they were peaceful nd that supermans suit was made from the materials his dad put into his pod that lined the place kal el was sitting in, like a crib liner.

Depends on his origin.

-Bryne's MOS it wasn't the suit and cape were normal Earth cloth.

-DCNU52 its armor or armor like.

Am i the only comic fan upset over this? THe S design is just awful and is right out of lord of the rings, its like something an elf would wear and its funny because the trailer used lord of the rings music in it, perfect fit if you ask me. It is also FAT in the center area, supermans s should never invoke fattness in anyway and it looks buldged, bloated and strange in a negative way.

Yes but then again his S crest has taken on various looks over the years and moreover a costume change will not determine the quality of the movie. The characterization of Superman is what I'd be more concerned about and his costume does not define his character, speaking of which...

seriously, i had a debate with some friends over the new trailer and i am absolutely alone in saying it looks like they could care less about the character at all and want to humanize him even more than singer did, people dont realize superman is not human and should not be made into a dark, gritty, realistic fashion.

Superman's 'humanity' is one of his defining character traits. Examples of that are numerous across Superman's publicized history

I go to the movies to escape reality, now they take some of my favorite fantasy characters and made them as if they were real

I don't recall anyone irl who can fly, is invulnerable and can deadlift a couple hundred gajillion tons.

...rip james bond and superman. Oh and also, you wouldnt make a reboot of indiana jones without at least some of the john williams cues, you dont have to revamp the entire soundtrack and do it like singer did and just use quire boy music for it all and totally ruin the love theme for superman and lois,

Since they are trying to distance themselves from Donner, I'd say an entirely new score is in order. Taking cues from the Donner movies are why SMR failed.

you wouldnt redo back to the future without some of the cues, you wouldnt redo the godfather without that main theme, just like you should not do superman without some of the original williams score. Some friends giving me a seriously hard time over this lol...all of them said superman returns was going to be amazing, i guess i am alone in my views?

No when I heard that SMR was a continuation of a movie franchise that was 20+ years old (no mater how good it was, and it was very good btw) I knew we were in trouble. Donner's vision was tapped out for Superman and continuing in the same vein is unfair to both those movies and to any future iteration of the character on the silver screen.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind about MOS, (If you choose to watch it) why don't you try watching it with an open mind, you might be pleasantly surprised, or at the very least wait until you see more than a 90 second trailer.

Avatar image for valendianknight
    ValendianKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ValendianKnight

Lol, OBVIOUSLY the old costumes don't come close to the Snyder one....it actually looks alien and not like a Halloween costume.

Douche_Macenzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Douche_Macenzi

Settle down. Jeez, you know Snyder and singer, probably donner too didn't design the suits right? That's why the hire costume designers. Maybe they have the final say but big deal. There has been loads of different suits in those "hundreds" of comics u have read. Why r u putting such a downer on the movie? Assuming u have seen the trailer, u r judging it on a minute and a half of footage. Snyder has done what singer should have done and started over. Yes John Williams score will always b the music for superman, as will the music from tim buttons batman b batmans music. Superman has been around for nearly 75 years, what was his music before the donner movies? Stop ruining the movie for yourself.

Avatar image for monkeyonurback_
    monkeyonurback_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By monkeyonurback_

i really like what i see of snyder's but on the other hand i loved singer's... hmm ... gonna go with snyder's and hope i don't change my mind on that one!

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I only have one question.. if the Kryptonians were a peaceful race then why did they create something like The Eradicator?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c63f773eaecf
    deactivated-5c63f773eaecf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Douche_Macenzi said:

Settle down. Jeez, you know Snyder and singer, probably donner too didn't design the suits right? That's why the hire costume designers. Maybe they have the final say but big deal. There has been loads of different suits in those "hundreds" of comics u have read. Why r u putting such a downer on the movie? Assuming u have seen the trailer, u r judging it on a minute and a half of footage. Snyder has done what singer should have done and started over. Yes John Williams score will always b the music for superman, as will the music from tim buttons batman b batmans music. Superman has been around for nearly 75 years, what was his music before the donner movies? Stop ruining the movie for yourself.

A lot of people said that to me when I told them Superman Returns was going to stink. None of them resurfaced and would claim responsibility to saying that after the movie came out ha! I hope the movie is immensely wonderful, but he will never be superman without a good looking outfit and at least a few cues from the john williams scores. You dont need to use all of them, just keep the good ones, the main theme, the love theme, ect ect.

The laws of the universe do not apply to superman, he is not supposed to have vapor trails, the guy can hit light speed and beyond and any trails like that would destroy the entire galaxy once he attempted to go that fast. At least Superman Returns got it right and stated that he can fly at light speed inside the atmosphere without leaving sonic blasts or destroying all matter around him. Have you seen the comic con trailer? I did, I was there. Superman smashed up the entire city and busted a huge building for some reason. Pretty much everything they are showing in the trailers is anti superman in every way. The suit is crap, come on now, how can anyone say different? It looks like Legolas from lord of the rings buffed up and slapped an elvish S shield and dawned some chain linked blue armor. It makes no sense. Its a poor costume and you guys know it. :)

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By sethysquare

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@P0rtal: So this isn't a thread asking what suit design pepole like more but one for you to bitch and moan and spew a bunch of hate? Oh and saying anybody that doesn't agree with you is a poseur is pretty small minded not to mention stupid.

this, love you johnny anonymous.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @sethysquare said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@P0rtal: So this isn't a thread asking what suit design pepole like more but one for you to bitch and moan and spew a bunch of hate? Oh and saying anybody that doesn't agree with you is a poseur is pretty small minded not to mention stupid.

this, love you johnny anonymous.

No Caption Provided
    9thDevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 9thDevil

The new "s" reminds me of the Earth-2 Superman's "s" actually. Going into MOS with an open mind and some hope though, I like the cast and Chris Nolan is producing. "Sucker Punch" makes me wary of Snyder, to be honest. Hoping he gets some "300" magic back.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.