Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Does Superman needs more alien villains?

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Moul

Maybe some ancient warriors from another planet

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Squalleon

Half his villains are alien. Brainiac, Zod, Doomsday etc. And most of his recent ones, like Wraith, Ulysses, Vynd (if 5th dimensional villains count as aliens), H'El.

Does he NEED more? No. Can he have more? Sure.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I always wanted either a psychic someone with all the trimmings like Telekinesis, teleportation, telepathy and psychic bolts all that jazz combined with a tough durable form who could give Superman a run for his money, I know Manchester Black kind of fits that mold but he only appears once or twice and is now with the Teen Titans which makes me think he wont be fighting Superman any time soon.

I say a psychic because Kryptonians have often had that connection to them with stuff like Superboy.

I would say he can't break into Clark's mind with ease but if he beats him down a bit he can enter with less resistance. Idk might spice up his gallery or fall by the way side. Just my two cents.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: So.......what kind of villains he need?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moul said:

"Need", I don't think he needs any particular kind, he has diversity. As long as they are interesting its cool, well, less reverse-Supermen would be welcomed and maybe an interesting female villain.

But currently he had some pretty good villains, Vynd, Ulysses, Wraith,Phantom King, even Hordr has potential.

Personally, I want to see Vandal Savage as a requiring villain, I loved their interaction in JL TAS and he is an interesting villain.

YodaPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea. Ultraman. from the planet Tanthon. Limitless strength, endurance and speed and only weakness is tanthonite which is a absurdly rare red rock. He gets his powers from the moon and all the other planets and stars other than the sun. Also he bears an uncanny resemblance of a handsome black man in his mid-late 20s.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say no because like squall ion said he has quite a few and he also has diversity. What I would say DC do is find ways to work his villains back in because quite a lot of them have dissapiered over the years. Bring them back and give them good story arcs and have them interact with supes in a better way than they have already.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not really. A giant spider would be cool though

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: Which villain do you think they should bring back?

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moul said:

"Need", I don't think he needs any particular kind, he has diversity. As long as they are interesting its cool, well, less reverse-Supermen would be welcomed and maybe an interesting female villain.

But currently he had some pretty good villains, Vynd, Ulysses, Wraith,Phantom King, even Hordr has potential.

Personally, I want to see Vandal Savage as a requiring villain, I loved their interaction in JL TAS and he is an interesting villain.

I did like their brief encounters. Vandal was so chill around him as he had nothing to lose and really cannot be hurt permantly. Only problem is with his wealth and technology he might come across as a new Lex Luthor. Any suggestions on how to make him more stand out?

*Personally I think Vandal is awesome and I love his look in Young Justice and Justice League : Doom. But that voice in JL/U *moans*

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did like their brief encounters. Vandal was so chill around him as he had nothing to lose and really cannot be hurt permantly. Only problem is with his wealth and technology he might come across as a new Lex Luthor. Any suggestions on how to make him more stand out?

*Personally I think Vandal is awesome and I love his look in Young Justice and Justice League : Doom. But that voice in JL/U *moans*

Personally when I think of myself writing a Superman comic (we all do it), I write Superman SA style. Meaning stories that could take place in any universe, in any place, in any time. Vandal could provide a nice enemy on Superman's immortality by having them fight through the ages, until they are the last two standing.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Me likey. Superman is all but confirmed in every media to have an insane life span compared to a human. I could see them clashing throughout history. Would you want Vandal to be hands on or a manager of lesser beings to do his bidding?

(One of my fav things in Young Justice was how tough he was and how he made Kid Flash really work to stay out of his grip)

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Me likey. Superman is all but confirmed in every media to have an insane life span compared to a human. I could see them clashing throughout history. Would you want Vandal to be hands on or a manager of lesser beings to do his bidding?

(One of my fav things in Young Justice was how tough he was and how he made Kid Flash really work to stay out of his grip)

I don't want him to be immortal Luthor. So he being a bit super-powered would be cool. But mainly I want him as a manipulator of history and world. Kinda like a one man Illuminati.

But that's what I want :P I wouldn't miss it if it didn't happened.

bee14ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always wanted either a psychic someone with all the trimmings like Telekinesis, teleportation, telepathy and psychic bolts all that jazz combined with a tough durable form who could give Superman a run for his money, I know Manchester Black kind of fits that mold but he only appears once or twice and is now with the Teen Titans which makes me think he wont be fighting Superman any time soon.

I say a psychic because Kryptonians have often had that connection to them with stuff like Superboy.

I would say he can't break into Clark's mind with ease but if he beats him down a bit he can enter with less resistance. Idk might spice up his gallery or fall by the way side. Just my two cents.

Basically, Captain Comet.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bee14ish said:
    @titanbreaker said:

Unfamiliar with that character. So I can't offer anything up, although going by the name sounds spacey which might be too close to aliens which is kind of what I was trying to avoid.

bee14ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bee14ish said:
    @titanbreaker said:

Unfamiliar with that character. So I can't offer anything up, although going by the name sounds spacey which might be too close to aliens which is kind of what I was trying to avoid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Comet

Captain Comet

No Caption Provided

G-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah Braniac does a good enough job kicking his ass. He will do for now.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moul:

It isn't so much that he needs more alien villains, but that he needs to leave Earth more often.

Because let's face it, Earth just doesn't do it for Superman anymore.

Writers never explore Superman full powers on Earth, and if they have a problem with Earth, then move Superman away from Earth and really unchain him.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want more Helspont. From his superior power levels to his wider set of abilities, he was a near-perfect Superman villain. Would have been a good basis for Superman training his mind to either resist TP (heaven knows he badly needs this) or even develop some low level mental abilities that are dormant in him, like H'el did (perhaps making him a bit like Mr. Majestic even?)

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor:

Exactly!

Finally some hope in a fellow Viner.

That's exactly what Superman needs.

Even more Helspont even hinted to the fact that kryptonians and demonites have had contact in the past. He even used the word "Kin". So it might well be that Helspont has some kryptonian in him as well.

And even if he doesn't. Superman stories really need to explore more of his kryptonian heritage. H'El that was initially intended to be the New 52 Bizarro, became a kind of "checkpoint". A idea, an example of kryptonian power potential. And we got to understand that H'El, powerful has he was, might not represent a kryptonian full potential.

We need to see Superman train. Explore his powers and everyway he can use them.

I'm tired of reading stuff like this...

No Caption Provided

Like he's always in the dark about the most important aspect. Himself.

If H'El created a star chamber to improve his powers, why can't Superman do the same?

No Caption Provided

Why does Superman has to remain the most powerful being on the planet with the most weaknesses.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor:

Exactly!

Finally some hope in a fellow Viner.

That's exactly what Superman needs.

Even more Helspont even hinted to the fact that kryptonians and demonites have had contact in the past. He even used the word "Kin". So it might well be that Helspont has some kryptonian in him as well.

And even if he doesn't. Superman stories really need to explore more of his kryptonian heritage. H'El that was initially intended to be the New 52 Bizarro, became a kind of "checkpoint". A idea, an example of kryptonian power potential. And we got to understand that H'El, powerful has he was, might not represent a kryptonian full potential.

We need to see Superman train. Explore his powers and everyway he can use them.

I'm tired of reading stuff like this...

No Caption Provided

Like he's always in the dark about the most important aspect. Himself.

If H'El created a star chamber to improve his powers, why can't Superman do the same?

No Caption Provided

Why does Superman has to remain the most powerful being on the planet with the most weaknesses.

I'll give you the simple answer, but you won't like it; DC has a misguided obsession (imo, due to some brainless and outspoken naysayers) with making Superman "grounded", so he never really has room to grow. I'm not saying Superman needs to be cosmic, but he needs some space stories that really let him cut loose.

Superman: Unchained has the right idea and premise - a Superman comic that displays Superman pushing himself and his powers to their limits - but suffered a somewhat lackluster execution and lost momentum due to Jim Lee's constant tardiness. Right now, Superman is typically limited to Earth alone, with occasional visits to space. He needs a story arc that lets him expand, explore even.

Just an example, the Emperor Vulcan arc from X-Men. Mutant characters like Havok and Vulcan hit crazy power levels in their battles (Havok absorbed a freakin star -- twice!) because they weren't limited to Earth (ie, causing excessive planetary damage). They would never have gotten that much freedom if they were, say, stuck fighting in Manchester or New York.

And at the risk of turning this into a rant, I walk away now...

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor:

I know DC limits Superman, a lot.

But I always got this feeling that it's mainly because of the conservative fans, that can't stand to see any change in Superman. One good example... His New 52 suit/armor. The rants went for more than a year. Always someone complaining about something.

And then I look at character like Martian Manhunter and everything is just fine. At this point he's nearly unstopable. The Martians only weakness, fire, has been severely decreased. And it was the only weakness. Recently J'onn desintegrated himself using a experimental teleportation device. Apparently killing himself only so later we find out he had left "parts" of himself living like humans with human identities, but they're not humans. They are him. Or more precisely. Parts of him that he left has a backup in a worst case scenario. I mean. Talk about overpowered. And some people still have the nerve to call Superman a kind of Jesus. At least if Superman was to stab himself in the heart with a kryptonite knife, he'd stay dead.

But if I say in the forum that I wished to see Superman weaknesses reduced to simply one. Kryptonite. Then people give me sh*t about it. And their main argument... That it would make Superman unbeatable. I mean... There's kryptonite. The same exotic element that seems to either self-replicate or grow on trees, seeing that at the start of the New 52, there were only like less than 10 small shards of kryptonite, that the military were able to extract from Superman ship engine. And then suddently it multiplied (like it always do) with no explanation whatsoever. They could've said it was synthetic kryptonite and thus not as effective as the real deal, and had to make it in greater quantities to pack the same effect has the real deal, or that they got it from alien smugglers. Anything would be better than nothing.

But still most people don't want it. Still clinging to nonsense things like red sunlight, and making him vulnerable to every psychic and magician.

It would be like you gaining the power of immortality, but that immortality could be destroyed if I cut off your head, if I burned your body to ashes, or if I simply had to shoot you or stab you with something specific. Like silver, white gold, glass formed by lightning hiting the ground, wood from a specific tree... All that would make immortality pretty much useless.

Endanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Endanger

@reactor: Yeah, when Marvel characters do all those crazy shit it's perfectly fine but when it's Superman watch out....fanboys starts to scream OP OP OP!!!

DC is ashamed of having Superman at times, you can just feel it with the direction they take the character. Pre-Crisis Superman was so consistent, people loved him, DC loved him, he was one of the most powerful beings in the universe and wasn't afraid to flaunt it...but now it really feels that Supes is just "another" guy on the DC roster.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.