Does Superman age?

#1 Posted by FinalDasa (24 posts) - - Show Bio

For the most part we see a world with Superman, Lois Lane, and Lex Luthor. But what would happen 50 years later? Would Superman age at the same rate at a normal human?

What would a Metropolis and Earth be like with a Superman who doesn't have his love Lane, or his nemesis Luthor?

#2 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

Based on what I've seen over the years (Earth-2/Golden Age Superman, Kingdom Come Superman and Generations Superman), I'd say yes he does physically age.

#3 Posted by FinalDasa (24 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: Is it a slower aging process? I know he's invulnerable thanks to our sun, and he gains strength from it, but is it a regenerating kind of thing?

#4 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

They've shown his aging process to be about the same as a human's at the start but to go slower and slower (while becoming more powerful in some cases) over time.

#5 Edited by Kal'smahboi (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

We've seen several timelines and possible older "Supermen." In some cases he ages at a slower rate but begins to lose his powers (see the Beyond Universe) but in other cases he is stronger than ever, while still appearing to be the correct age (see Kingdom Come.) You would think that he would age to his prime at an accelerated rate and age slowly after that due to his regenerative abilities, but he is a "strange visitor from another planet" so who knows? We may never find out.

Also, we've been shown worlds where Superman outlives Lois and his other loved ones. He has invariably become a jaded and depressed version of himself in these timelines and has often been shown as a recluse.

#6 Edited by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

In my mind he ages like Vultrimites or Mr Majestic.

#7 Posted by Z3RO180 (6670 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: is supermans costume armouror not im sorry this has nouthig to with this thread but i had to find out

#8 Posted by maikkywin (100 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought he was a baby in cy-ton years or w/e ?

Or was that ....

#9 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, he ages.

#10 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180: From what I understand his costume is supposed to be based on traditional Kryptonian clothing of some kind, which seems odd considering how almost all the other New 52 revamped characters have costumes with similar details (Apparently Jim Lee just couldn't help himself). It might still be armor as well, though.

#11 Edited by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@azza04: @PowerHerc: @FinalDasa: No. While under a yellow sun, Superman constant absorption of yellow solar energy retards the cell deterioration process, and strengthens as he gets older, meaning at some point in his 20's, Superman ceases to physically age.

#12 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

@majestic99: Sounds good to me. Could you tell me where was that stated/explained?

#13 Edited by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

@majestic99: Sounds good to me. Could you tell me where was that stated/explained?

It'll take me a while, but I'll have to find the scans later(scans on Superman's immortality are hard to find). The only way for Superman to age is if he wears blue kryptonite(to render himself human).

#14 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

@majestic99: That's fine. I really would like to see them for myself.

#15 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: Here are some scans showing he is constantly powered by the sun(when he says he's getting stronger by the minute, it's implying that as long as a yellow sun exists, so shall Superman)

There's one more actual scan I'm looking for that actually states Superman's immortality, but it will take a while.

#16 Posted by cattlebattle (13203 posts) - - Show Bio

In animated form it is implied he ages, but slower than humans, I imagine it isn't too dissimilar in comics

#17 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

@majestic99: Okay, I'll be looking for it.

I do like this scan, however, because it explains Superman is getting stronger due to increased solar radiation absorption as the battle goes on.

#18 Edited by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

@majestic99 said:

@PowerHerc said:

It'll take me a while, but I'll have to find the scans later(scans on Superman's immortality are hard to find). The only way for Superman to age is if he wears blue kryptonite(to render himself human).

You see I never could accept that, how does blue Kryptonite make him human?? He's a Kryptonian, with or without his powers.

#19 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

@azza04 said:

@majestic99 said:

@PowerHerc said:

You see I never could except that, how does blue Kryptonite make him human?? He's a Kryptonian, with or without his powers.

You're right, that's true.

Good point.

#20 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

He does, just a lot slower.

#21 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

@azza04 said:

@majestic99 said:

@PowerHerc said:

You see I never could except that, how does blue Kryptonite make him human?? He's a Kryptonian, with or without his powers.

You're right, that's true.

Good point.

I think that was a common problem with Superman, especially in the tv show Smallville, they kept trying to over humanize him when he's not. I think in the New 52 they are going about it the right way, focusing on Kal-El more instead on Clark Kent. Their is only so much of timid Clark Kent and boy scout Superman I can take lol

#22 Edited by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by feargalr (1170 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hope that he's immortal, having him age at a normal rate, would be too much, that he's got all the powers and can live his life with his loved one? nah I don't buy it, he needs to bury Lois eventually, while he is still young... if its good enough for Doctor Who, its good enough for Supes

#24 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

@majestic99: Quite a few of the characters based on Superman are badass. Jim Lee and some other dude created Mr Majestic and even he said that he was sick of characters like Superman who have all this power but never use it.

#25 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@azza04 said:

@majestic99: Quite a few of the characters based on Superman are badass. Jim Lee and some other dude created Mr Majestic and even he said that he was sick of characters like Superman who have all this power but never use it.

I know, and agree.

#26 Posted by Deranged Midget (17863 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman doesn't physically age under a yellow sun to a noticeable degree that a human would notice in their life span. As shown in Superman: Red Son, as long as there is a yellow sun, he'll always be around.

#27 Edited by superbatprime (130 posts) - - Show Bio

What is physically happening to an organism when we say it is getting "old".

Is it degeneration of cells in a living organism over time until a point is reached where the organism can no longer sustain itself and ceases to function, ie; it dies?

Thinking it over and using the above definition of the aging process coupled with his solar powered physiology (All Star version), I'm going for the "slows over time but never fully halts".

He's not immortal but he'll live so long under yellow solar energy he may as well be called immortal by human standards.

The process would eventually become so slow he would seem to stop growing old (to human eyes) at some indeterminate point (I've never seen him look older than late 40's early 50's... except for 'At Earths End' which sucked so bad it doesn't count).

#28 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Based on the Beyond Universe, I think he does, but at a much slower rate. If you look at Batman in that universe, you'd see that humans age horribly compared to Kryptonians.

#29 Posted by mohammedalkhater (100 posts) - - Show Bio

His Age is 40 - 50.

#30 Posted by Z3RO180 (6670 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by Deranged Midget (17863 posts) - - Show Bio

In most continuities, he only ages up to the point of physical maturity and then it's extensively slow there on out. Red Son is a perfect example.

#32 Posted by mohammedalkhater (100 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by Z3RO180 (6670 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by THORSON (2511 posts) - - Show Bio

yes very slowly

#35 Posted by MideonNViscera (376 posts) - - Show Bio

He totally ages. He had Reed Richards hair in Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.