Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Does Krypton had a red daylight?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad9d72d64170
    deactivated-5ad9d72d64170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Krypton orbited a red sun. Does that mean that the daylight was also red? Daylight like safelight?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Not from any comics or cartoons I've seen, though it stands to reason that it could/would.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By reactor

It's not like our daylight is yellow. Daylight appears blue because our atmosphere filters radioactive frequencies as it passes through, of which light is a part of. From our proximity to the sun, most of the long wavelengths dissipate before passing all the way through, and the shorter frequencies don't reach altogether. The wavelength of light that passes through hits around the middle of the frequencies, which is where the color blue is located (and as the Earth's side rotates almost fully away from the sun, the longer wavelengths reach through, which is why we get the "warmer" reddish colors near sunset). At least, that's why the sky appears blue (which is what I assume you meant). Light itself is composed of all visible wavelengths, so it doesn't really have a color.

Btw, I haven't gone over this stuff in years, so I may be wrong on a thing or two.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad9d72d64170
    deactivated-5ad9d72d64170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@reactor said:

It's not like our daylight is yellow. Daylight appears blue because our atmosphere filters radioactive frequencies as it passes through, of which light is a part of. From our proximity to the sun, most of the long wavelengths dissipate before passing all the way through, and the shorter frequencies don't reach altogether. The wavelength of light that passes through hits around the middle of the frequencies, which is where the color blue is located (and as the Earth's side rotates almost fully away from the sun, the longer wavelengths reach through, which is why we get the "warmer" reddish colors near sunset). At least, that's why the sky appears blue (which is what I assume you meant). Light itself is composed of all visible wavelengths, so it doesn't really have a color.

Btw, I haven't gone over this stuff in years, so I may be wrong on a thing or two.

I found these articles:

http://www.cloisworld.net/other/krypton.shtml:

"What the real world tells us: Red stars come in two basic sizes - dwarves and giants. And red stars have a relatively cool surface. Light on the surface of the planet would resemble that of an incandescent bulb - when visiting or living on such a planet, the eye would compensate, making the surface appear brighter and 'whiter' than the star's light would otherwise suggest."

http://comicfacts.blogspot.com/2005/03/kryptonian-astrophysics-101.html:

"Traditionally, Krypton's sun was a red giant star. Birthright officially established that the Kryptonian sun was ared dwarf star. Red dwarfs are fairly common, and at least one is known to have a planet."

In the book — Action Comics Superman #14, titled "Star Light, Star Bright", Neil deGrasse Tyson, an American astrophysicist and science communicator, gets a cameo. He claims that Krypton is 27.1 light years away and orbits a red dwarf.

"But red dwarfs are also fairly unimpressive as suns go. They're small, only about 1/10 to 1/3 the size of our sun. And they're dim. Really dim. They put out less than 1% of the light that our sun does. Unless Krypton's orbit hugs its sun awfully tight, water on Krypton's surface would freeze."

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.