Does anyone think Lois Lane deserves to be killed off

• 59 results
#1 Edited by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean as long as she is around, Superman will never be able to break free of the curse. He would fall into the same trap again and we're going to have stories repeated over and over again.

Besides, Lois Lane is manipulative and loves to boss Clark around.

Her death would signify that we would have better stories and Superman would stop saving her all the time, to the point that it serves nothing more than just a plot point.

Does anyone think that she should just have a Gwen Stacy death?

#2 Posted by SpiderWorshiperMan (11 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree

#3 Posted by lilben42 (2487 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: I agree she should be killed off but not for the reasons you said. Superman always saves Lois but he is supposed too everyone knows that about Superman. She has never died I dont think and her dying the right way would be one of the biggest moments since The death of superman.

#4 Posted by ltbrd (552 posts) - - Show Bio

I think people over-estimate the amount of times the modern Superman actually saves Lois. When we think of stories in which Lois is the "damsel in distress" and Superman saves her we're really thinking back to the Golden and Silver Age tales of the character. Modern Superman (1986+) has had far fewer stories in which Lois is placed in a situation requiring rescue and most of those times she is working alongside Superman to uncover the villains plot rather than being in the wrong place due to a story she's chasing.

As for her general character, she's exactly the type of person Superman needs as a supporting character. Someone that's not afraid to simply speak her mind to him, whether he's Clark or Superman, is a vital aspect of his mythos because it keeps him grounded in humanity. She's the one person you know isn't going to simply let something slide just because he's Superman.

I don't mind that DC took away there marriage since most writers are terrible at writing marriages (which goes for Peter and MJ in Marvel as well) but I don't think she should be killed. If anything I wish DC had made the decision to let her know Clark's secret or at least, as the first few issues of Superman implied, know it without Clark knowing she does and help him in her own way by curtailing stories or pictures that may lead to his identity being discovered. Its not necessary for them to date or fall in love. Yes that's part of each character but if writers have to be locked into this singular idea and can't come up with new interpretations then in my opinion they shouldn't be writers in the first place.

#5 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1645 posts) - - Show Bio

I disagree. I'd rather see her as "Elastic Lass". She stays alive, cause she's meant to be Clark's ultimate love.

#6 Posted by Lvenger (16075 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: No no no no no way sethy! Lois is an integral part of the Superman mythos and story! Even though when they're not romantically involved, the relationship Lois has with Clark is a compelling one. She gives things to Clark straight and meets him on an equal level whether he's Clark or Superman. Besides death hardly means anything in comics these days. Only minor lame characters stay dead for a long time and this would cause too big a backlash on DC's part. It cheapens the concept of death in comics too. So I have to strongly disagree with you there.

#7 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course not.

#8 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@ltbrd: @Lvenger: I got around to thinking and I thought the reason why Superman is unable to get more of a supporting cast has got to do with Lois Lane mostly. While Batman has Robin, he was able to get a book of himself and not constantly be in Batman's book. Lois however would not be able to support an ongoing at this day and age, so she would have to be in Superman's book 24/7. Unlike Steve Trevor who was able to get out and create a career of his own, Lois Lane inevitably ends up as Superman's deadweight.

Thats just my point of view though. I think Superman would be able to go through something huge and emotional, similar to what happened to Spider-man and Gwen Stacy, I'll say it'll make for a great story.

#9 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@ltbrd said:

I don't mind that DC took away there marriage since most writers are terrible at writing marriages (which goes for Peter and MJ in Marvel as well) but I don't think she should be killed. If anything I wish DC had made the decision to let her know Clark's secret or at least, as the first few issues of Superman implied, know it without Clark knowing she does and help him in her own way by curtailing stories or pictures that may lead to his identity being discovered. Its not necessary for them to date or fall in love. Yes that's part of each character but if writers have to be locked into this singular idea and can't come up with new interpretations then in my opinion they shouldn't be writers in the first place.

At the moment, the only non superhero that knows his secret is his high school sweet heart Lana Lang.

#10 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11757 posts) - - Show Bio

nah.

#11 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#12 Posted by Skewer (325 posts) - - Show Bio

The people who complain about her being bitchy should note that she's written that way as a result of bad writing, she's been so poorly handled by a lot of writers over the years that its comparable to Lana Lang from smallville( the tv show). I personally hate how she's been written over the years and she's not the Lois lane that I became a fan of and I hate how she's been made out to be the unlikeable, narrow minded bitch that she's currently being written as.

#13 Posted by cyberchop979 (449 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. I would rather have a writer focus on her character development.

#14 Edited by darkman61288 (678 posts) - - Show Bio

No way. She is just as important to his legend as everything else. The reason Superman cant get a deep supporting cast he doesn't need one. Jimmy olsen , Perry white , and everybody else are allready precfect . The writing is just terrible. When DC reboot everything they should of got new writers.

#15 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skewer: what was the lois lane you became a fan of? Superman's girlfriend like years ago? Cos that was when she was uber bitchy.

@darkman61288: who says the writing is horrible? Grant Morrison? please.

#16 Edited by deaditegonzo (3507 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

I mean as long as she is around, Superman will never be able to break free of the curse. He would fall into the same trap again and we're going to have stories repeated over and over again.

Besides, Lois Lane is manipulative and loves to boss Clark around.

Her death would signify that we would have better stories and Superman would stop saving her all the time, to the point that it serves nothing more than just a plot point.

Does anyone think that she should just have a Gwen Stacy death?

Im with you, I am really tired of stories revolving around her. And im bored of her being a feisty, investigative reporter who will go to any lengths, causing all kinds of shenanigans and eventually coming out on top getting the big scoop. In reality, she would likely get herself killed, and that is what should happen.

#17 Posted by War07 (135 posts) - - Show Bio

Agree!

#18 Posted by dondave (27205 posts) - - Show Bio

She shouldn't die, but i don't want them getting together

#19 Posted by Z3RO180 (5946 posts) - - Show Bio

No don't kill her as a lot of vipers have said she is an integral part of his character and mythos

#20 Posted by The_Tree (6435 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Anyone calling for her death is an idiot.

#21 Posted by TDK_1997 (13739 posts) - - Show Bio

No way.

#22 Posted by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#23 Posted by SmashBrawler (4771 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

No. Anyone calling for her death is an idiot.

Nailed it.

#24 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup.

#25 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#26 Posted by toptom (1140 posts) - - Show Bio

of course no. dc has just to "avoid" her for some time,that will be enough.

#27 Edited by darkman61288 (678 posts) - - Show Bio

If DC ever kills off Lois Lane I am 100% sure DC would over 50% of its readership. And Superman tiles will lose about 70%. And Geoff Johns gets fired and shunned from the CB community.

Also if they make the Superman/ Wonder woman romance perament Wonder Woman will lose a good portion of her readership as well.

#28 Posted by SandMan_ (4526 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really, but she doesn't have to be a love interest or Superman's wife to be relevant in the Superman mythos...

#29 Posted by Twentyfive (2405 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, since she's not with Supes anymore, I find it difficult to come up with a role for her. SHe can still be that tough journalist, but she needs something else to make her relevant.

#30 Posted by TheCannon (16112 posts) - - Show Bio

Flagged for trying to start a flame war.

#31 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker kills her in Injustice Gods Among Us.It made Superman darker and edgier.

#32 Posted by SandMan_ (4526 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh...Same thing happens in Kingdom Come...

#33 Posted by darkman61288 (678 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave I disagree that they shouldn't be together. It should be done differently like Lois hates Superman but loves Clark or he is a reporter and she is a bartender at his favorite restaurant or something like that.

#34 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

She shouldn't die, but i don't want them getting together

#35 Posted by mk111 (3136 posts) - - Show Bio

No way! Maybe not in the New 52, but from what I've seen, Lois Lane is actually one of the best love interests. She never even gets kidnapped anymore (but maybe thats because Superman villains never seem to kidnap anyone).

#36 Posted by RazzaTazz (9354 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCannon said:

Flagged for trying to start a flame war.

I didn't pick up on that, but yes, kind of strange topic for a character that has been around for over 7 decades
#37 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1005 posts) - - Show Bio

Jesus christ no. I don't see how anyone can think Lois is what's holding back Superman. DC got rid of the marriage and the Superman title has been terrible, while Action Comics has only been slightly good. To pin Superman's problems on Lois would be insane. Also, if you don't want to read the same stories over and over again, then you should stop reading mainstream comics because the stories all repeat themselves.

#38 Posted by darkman61288 (678 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoseDRiveraTCR7: I agree most of the New 52 stories are unoriginal and just reused plotlines from old comics and cartoons.

#39 Edited by RideASpaceCowboy (491 posts) - - Show Bio

The reason I'm not calling for her death is that unfortunately, unlike Gwen Stacy, I don't believe Lois would be able to stay dead. Moreover, it is not the character as a whole that needs to be removed from the Superman mythos, only her recent depictions. I would love to see more stories like those of the 1950s with Superman as the happily confirmed bachelor and Lois constantly trying in vain to get Superman to marry her and settle down into domestic life together (and bring back the rivalry with Lana Lang as well).

#40 Posted by spetsnaz_gru (235 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#41 Posted by zeejaybay (62 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely. It's time to move past her.

#42 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't believe Lois needs to die. Clark needs to have sex with lots of women and Lois could be good for Mondays.

#43 Posted by The Stegman (20867 posts) - - Show Bio

Pfft, why would Clark want Lois when he has a hot Amazon on call?

#44 Posted by Squalleon (3037 posts) - - Show Bio

Not killed but its time for Lois to become something more than Superman's girlfriend.

Maybe give her a back up where she will solve intergang crimes :-P

#45 Posted by Eternal19 (2074 posts) - - Show Bio

No, shes an interesting character and DC already killed of ma and pa kent. Do you really want them to take away superman's already miniscule supporting cast

#46 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

Pfft, why would Clark want Lois when he has a hot Amazon on call?

i like what im hearing.

#47 Edited by drgnx (3518 posts) - - Show Bio

I know, lets give her super powers and call her SuperWomen instead of her sister.

Lois
Lucy
E-3 Lois
Alt SW design

I could see an arc where Superman has to teach her how to cope with her new powers, they could be different than Superboys in that she can choose if to use strength or TK, or maybe she is just not as potent, in that she can enhance one skill at a time, but could surpass Sups in that one skill when she does.

#48 Posted by darkman61288 (678 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: Are you serious? Cuz I agree. It is about time they gave her powers but different ones. Like timebending and energy projection and teleportation.

In words make her a comic being in a human vessel. And I am serious. I could just imagine their conversation:

" Clark I know you are Superman and I love you " says Lois

"But Lois you are human we cant be together because of that", says Clark " And i am dating Wonder Woman too."

" But Clark I am really a comic being in a human vessel"

"Really?"

"yes "

Clark calls Diana

"Diana I am breaking up with you Goodbye"

#49 Edited by drgnx (3518 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Edited by darkman61288 (678 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: How would she get her powers. Will she be a Krptonian who has been on Earth longer than Clark or something else.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.