Do you relate to superman?

#1 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally no not really, but i find him an interesting character. do you guys relate to him

#2 Posted by SUNMAN (7265 posts) - - Show Bio

no

#3 Posted by toptom (1252 posts) - - Show Bio

no i don't,but who really does?i think that it is hard if not impossible to relate to a superhero (even to the marvel'ones who can be considerated more "human"). but it is possible to love a character without relating to him.

#4 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15123 posts) - - Show Bio

@toptom said:

no i don't,but who really does?i think that it is hard if not impossible to relate to a superhero (even to the marvel'ones who can be considerated more "human"). but it is possible to love a character without relating to him.

this

#5 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, I do. In some ways he is by far the most relatable character around.

#6 Posted by MrShway88 (678 posts) - - Show Bio

In a "trying to do the right thing" kinda of way but that can be said for any hero.

#7 Posted by Squalleon (4754 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont think that comics are made to make characters relatable!Comics are about escapism and watching never ending battles beetwen eternal ideals!

Seriously the most "relatable" super hero is supposed to be BATMAN.The guy who in less than ten years knows 130+ martial arts,is great at almost every subject and holds almost every knowledge a human can!

Anyway i dont relate to any hero not only superman and thats a good thing, I don't want to relate to them i wanna be inspired!

#8 Posted by The Stegman (25548 posts) - - Show Bio

I relate to certain aspects of him, yes, although there are others parts of him, that I don't. 

#9 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

some aspects. but hes not supposed to be for you to relate to. hes more of a idol or role model, hes someone you look up, not someone you relate to.

#10 Edited by Icon (2107 posts) - - Show Bio

I relate to him more so than any other superhero. He is often alone and alienated, and I know what that is like (mind you it's certainly a heightened sense of isolation for him as he is the last of his kind). Trying to figure out your place in the world and overcoming loneliness are universal experiences and he really embodies that. And then there is the immigrant factor. As a son of immigrants myself I can certainly understand his struggle to balance the ways of his adopted land with that of his alien heritage.

Also, seeing him trying to balance having a personal life as Clark with being a superhero is also I think a heightened example of the pressures we all have to deal with in real life, like balancing school or work with family and friends, or trying to have an intimate/romantic relationship when suddenly duty calls.

#11 Posted by Dernman (15474 posts) - - Show Bio

The better parts of me relate to Superman.

#12 Posted by Aiden Cross (15575 posts) - - Show Bio

Not so much relate to, but aspire to be like =)

#13 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

@toptom: There you go.

There are relateable aspects of Superman, but who can really relate to anyone who has ever been in a fight with aliens.

#14 Posted by joshmightbe (25054 posts) - - Show Bio

People are confusing realism and relatability in this thread, Yes his powers make him unrealistic but his personality makes him relatable. I guarantee every person on this site has at one point or another felt alienated and alone whether they admit it or not. Superman is at his core a humble farm boy from Kansas, the image of the hero is as he's said himself an act he puts on, but as far as he's concerned Clark Kent is the real him.

#15 Posted by jointron33 (1901 posts) - - Show Bio

Trying to do the right thing and uphold morality in a world gone tribal is the most damn relatable thing for any human being worth a damn.

#16 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1254 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

People are confusing realism and relatability in this thread, Yes his powers make him unrealistic but his personality makes him relatable. I guarantee every person on this site has at one point or another felt alienated and alone whether they admit it or not. Superman is at his core a humble farm boy from Kansas, the image of the hero is as he's said himself an act he puts on, but as far as he's concerned Clark Kent is the real him.

#17 Posted by danhimself (22696 posts) - - Show Bio

not really but I don't think you're supposed to either....you're supposed to look up to and aspire to be Superman

#18 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

No. I relate more to characters like Black Panther, Captain America, Batman, Night Thrasher, etc. Characters that I could actually be like.

#19 Edited by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

I relate to Clark Kent. Superman is not meant to be relatable.

#20 Posted by joshmightbe (25054 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSwordsman: Unless you're a multi billionaire with a perfect body and a genius level IQ you can't be like any of those characters

#21 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@TheSwordsman: Unless you're a multi billionaire with a perfect body and a genius level IQ you can't be like any of those characters

As I stated; They are characters I could be like. Physical attributes:check. Genius level IQ: check. Cap is not a multi billionaire and neither is Night Thrasher nor is Night Thrasher even peak human. You should really read more carefully and think your posts through before posting.

#22 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

I relate to his human aspects.

#23 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

People are confusing realism and relatability in this thread, Yes his powers make him unrealistic but his personality makes him relatable. I guarantee every person on this site has at one point or another felt alienated and alone whether they admit it or not. Superman is at his core a humble farm boy from Kansas, the image of the hero is as he's said himself an act he puts on, but as far as he's concerned Clark Kent is the real him.

#24 Posted by joshmightbe (25054 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSwordsman: Cap is physically perfect, his body doesn't produce fatigue causing toxins like every one else. Batman is completely f**king ridiculous, his work out routine alone would kill any actual normal human being, and Black Panther is a King with access to tech that doesn't actually exist in the real world.

#25 Edited by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@TheSwordsman: Cap is physically perfect, his body doesn't produce fatigue causing toxins like every one else. Batman is completely f**king ridiculous, his work out routine alone would kill any actual normal human being, and Black Panther is a King with access to tech that doesn't actually exist in the real world.

I used the word like. Not Exactly like. But like. MMA workouts are just as grueling as Batman's and I have never seen any of his workouts depicted that would be anywhere near life threatening unless someone dropped the weight on themselves. Also as I used Night thrasher as an example and he is not peak human nor a multi billionaire and his tech is quite feasible. You conveniently neglected to address him.

You're insecure. I get that.You become emotional and negative when you see someone post something positive about themself. I get that as well. Whatever is within you or whatever you have went through or whatever physical issues that you have that make you this way are not my doing. Trolling me won't make those issues go away. I would submit that doing so only makes them worse.

#26 Posted by joshmightbe (25054 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSwordsman: What the hell are you talking about, just because you have a monstrous ego doesn't mean I'm insecure, also Night Thrasher is a millionaire. Batman gets about 3 hours of sleep per day, which would destroy your health, he does reps with crap like 900 pound weights, he's a master of 130 martial art forms when in the real world the most accomplished martial artists spend their entire life mastering maybe 3 at most, Also night thrasher is basically a severely depowered Iron Man with his combat armor.

#27 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#28 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@TheSwordsman: What the hell are you talking about, just because you have a monstrous ego doesn't mean I'm insecure, also Night Thrasher is a millionaire. Batman gets about 3 hours of sleep per day, which would destroy your health, he does reps with crap like 900 pound weights, he's a master of 130 martial art forms when in the real world the most accomplished martial artists spend their entire life mastering maybe 3 at most, Also night thrasher is basically a severely depowered Iron Man with his combat armor.

Perhaps it is simply that your ego is less than ideal so you view any level of confidence as "monstrous". Again the operative word is like. Not exactly like, but like. I am not sure how you are not grasping that concept. There are individuals who have mastered more than three martial arts therefore you should not speculate on subjects of which you have limited knowledge. There is nothing in Night Thrashers panoply or arsenal that is not, or could not be, replicated using existing technology. And as I stated he is not a multi-billionaire. :D

#29 Posted by joshmightbe (25054 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSwordsman: Ah I get it, you're one of those delusional guys that assumes anyone who doubts your perfection has to have something wrong with them. K I'm done talking to you.

#30 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@TheSwordsman: Ah I get it, you're one of those delusional guys that assumes anyone who doubts your perfection has to have something wrong with them. K I'm done talking to you.

I get it. You are the insecure and bitter individual who can't handle making mistakes in his posts and who cannot fathom anyone with great genetics training themselves to their peak because you have no frame of reference. I truly hope you are sincere in your being "done talking to me". Perhaps now you can focus all of that negative energy towards bettering yourself.

#31 Posted by Onemoreposter (4091 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely. My parents too rocketed me to earth only seconds before my home world was destroyed and I too was found and raised by a kindly couple in a rural town. I'm just waiting for the powers to manifest....

#32 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1254 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. We have all felt lonely and alienated. We all want to do good. And we have all done good altruisically. I'm willing to be most of us have done something to inspire at least one other person too. If you don't think Clark Kent is relatable, then you need to at least watch one episode of Smallville's first season. He pines for girls. He makes mistakes. He tries to do good, but fails sometimes. He lies for the good of others. He's conflicted about how his decisions affect others. How is Superman not relatable?

#33 Posted by ZEELLO (223 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade said:

Yes. We have all felt lonely and alienated. We all want to do good. And we have all done good altruisically. I'm willing to be most of us have done something to inspire at least one other person too. If you don't think Clark Kent is relatable, then you need to at least watch one episode of Smallville's first season. He pines for girls. He makes mistakes. He tries to do good, but fails sometimes. He lies for the good of others. He's conflicted about how his decisions affect others. How is Superman not relatable?

i never said that he isnt relatable. I was just asking if people relate to him. I personally dont relate to any of the superheroes that i read about but that doesnt make me like them any less. Superman is still my fav superhero even though i dont relate to him.

#35 Posted by HeroFromKrypton (25 posts) - - Show Bio

I find him somewhat relatable, though relatability doesn't matter to me that much. There are so many popular and successful movies, comics, books, video games, etc. about characters who are unrelatable.

Also, I prefer a more humanized portrayal of the character, at least relative to the silver age where Superman would cheerfully dismiss Clark as nothing but a fabrication and say things like "great Krypton" and "great Rao" all the time, as if he's lived around Kryptonians all his life. What's the point in even having him live almost all of his life on Earth if he's going to be that way? Why not just say Superman escaped Krypton's destruction as an adult, it would jive more with a personality like that. To me, the whole point in Kal-El being sent to Earth as a baby was to make him a human alien. He's alien in physiology, but human in mind/spirit. A Superman who regards his human identity as a mere disguise entirely flies in the face of that. You were named Clark Kent by the people who raised you, it's not like witness protection where you're given a fabricated identity and history. At most, the disguise should just be Clark acting a little different from Superman, but Clark Kent should still be a real person.

#36 Posted by zeejaybay (70 posts) - - Show Bio

Supes is utterly superb. I aspire to be like him.

#37 Posted by spetsnaz_gru (235 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. More than Batman even.

#38 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

no.

#39 Edited by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, I look nerdy and clumsy with my glasses on, but people think I'm hunky without them....

I look skinny with my shirt on but toned with it off or in a t-shirt

#40 Posted by Supes1903 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

I think most kids relate to Clark Kent in at least some way, Superman on the other hand of course not. So no, I don't relate to Superman per se, but he's certainly who I WANT to be.

#41 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

His rural upbringing, his urban adulthood and his core values are all quite relatable.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.