Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18886 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Do you like Superman's red trunks?

• 52 results
    kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Do you like Superman's red trunks? (124 votes)

YES 41%
    NO 44%
    I'm in the middle 15%

Do you like the red trunks on superman's costume?

• 
    Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mrnoital

not a fan of undies on the outside for any hero

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Titanbreaker

Yep! The belt does nothing for me what so ever and fails to tie the suit together as the undies did.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Depends how they are drawn.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No I don't but I'm 100% convinced that the fact they're missing is the reason behind his power fluctuations

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
    suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By suemorphplus209

@undefined: Yeah, and that's the only kind of Superman costume I have worn too. Shows less detail below the belt, and is a tribute to the original Superman being a kind of acrobat or strongman at the circus.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They looked great in Superman: The Animated Series.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By UltimateSMfan

Don't know why but i never saw them as 'underwear on the outside' or trunks other kids would say stuff like that and i'd be like what are you talking about, i always saw it as an appropriate balance in colours in his outfit and it just fit and never looked weird to me.

My small peeve, Batman had the same thing in black, Nothing was ever said about that and if it was, it wasn't nearly as much as Superman's.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like it has been said trunks mean less super bulge.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, people should understand that trunks are not the same as underwear....

That aside, I don't think they really make sense for a modern take on Superman.

A modern superman would take inspiration from modern sources, and well...not too many people dress that way, and there would be no need for them with a more advanced suit. However...the New52 design, any of them, is probably my least favorite non trunk costume. I think the New52 Ultraman and the Injustice Superman have much better designs.

Actually I take that back...MoS has the worst costume, with a pointless not a belt which does nothing to break up the color of his navy suit and maroon cape.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By reactor

No. They're classical from a bygone era. They're not offensive, but it is high time they were gone

STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feh! , if drawn correctly it's alright, but personally i prefer the armor started in N52

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

They have been a huge part of the character for so long that its hard for me to picture him without them. I dont get why people dont like the trunks. They worked with the costume and now without them his costume doesnt feel complete.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

AdmiralLogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undefined: It seems like a lot of superheroes have that inverted clothing deal unfortunately. Kind of like promoting dressing accidents isn't it?

Avatar image for deactivated-64b01667a4f83
    deactivated-64b01667a4f83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the cape and undies ensemble – but I’d like it if they just didn’t pretend that their costumes aren’t costumes. It takes away from the fun and humanity of it. I also feel the same way about the “S”– I don’t think anyone really buys into it, so why bother? When you become a superhero, you want to do all the fun superhero stuff. Pick a name, design a costume. I reckon Kent should have been all in that, do the whole Spiderman thing. (Or even if he doesn't - like Ma Kent whips it up and all that. But it's the principle of the thing.)

It’s kind of a turn-off for me with quite a few of the heroes now. They all look very shiny and plastic and over-wrought. No real warmth to their design.

I also think Clark Kent should wear a fedora with a full ensemble 70s mafia/city-man suit with a coffee in his hand and newspaper and umbrella tucked under his arm and get changed by zipping into phone-booths or through revolving doors, and sport hair like Elvis (well, okay, that's optional). As far as I’m concerned he should be the tropiest troper that ever troped and just revel in it - it’s his prerogative as the ultimate classic superhero. He should rub his invulnerable underwear in people’s faces until they love it. Basically, as long as he understands that it's fun, and that it's a costume, it works for me.

But, you know. That’s just me. I’m a sucker for that stuff.

But it’s not like he has to stick to just one costume – different suits for different occasions. Maybe his cape n’ undies costume could be just for daily routine performance, working in a little spectacle and fun with a friendly image for the home crowd.

Or maybe it was a costume he made as a kid and hung onto. I’d probably be happy enough if he just had the classic suit sitting in his closet for a rainy day or to embarrass his Justice League friends on diplomatic missions or something.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermudz: Tehe~ 'rub his invulnerable underwear in people's faces until they love it'

But yeah, agreed. I'm a sucker for the fedora.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermudz: rub his invulnerable underwear in people's faces until they love it'

Lmao

Avatar image for deactivated-64b01667a4f83
    deactivated-64b01667a4f83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol, I'm just saying, how many people can beat up Darkseid in their underwear and live to brag about it? :D

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm fine with them, but I think at this point in time the belt works better

SuperCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SuperCrab

When Superman was first created in the 1930s, the red trucks conveyed to people my implication that he had incredible strength, because they were used to "strong man" carnival acts where people wore those sort of trunks.

Today, they convey nothing to the readership. They really just look like he wears his underwear on the outside. It's kind of embarrassing, really.

Even within the context of the main time line comic books themselves, Superman would have been born no earlier than 1980 (Probably later, he'd be 35 today if he had been born then), and thus it seems unlikely that a young Clark Kent would have picked the trunks as part of a costume meant to be a positive symbol for the good guys and to intimidate the bad guys. He'd have the same preconceptions that people of his generation have. The only way Clark Kent would come up with a costume like that in a timeline where he was born in the last 50 years or so is if he intended some sort of sexual connotation or something, which isn't really his character (Not that he's a sexless character, he just doesn't seem like he'd want to highlight sexuality in his costume while flying around protecting people and fighting villains- some heroes might, but not his character).

Really, the Superman that preceded the new52 Superman shouldn't have had red trunks either. I can only see a Clark Kent who came of age in the first half of the 20th century making them part of his costume- and the only way I see it making sense from a storyline view for them to continue to be part of a Superman costume would have been if Earth 2 Clark Kent had passed down the uniform and Superman identity to someone else and the new guy kept them out of a sense of respect and tradition. If the setting is a world that's never seen Superman, and a character who's inventing a costume in modern times, it just wouldn't have trunks.

The New52 has some bad points, and I don't like the jeans and t-shirt Superman, but the one thing they absolutely got right was ditching the trunks. The family crest, the cape, and the blue and red all work- they are all things I logically see the modern Clark as wanting to include. None of them are anachronisms. The trunks are very much an anachronism.

Now, the current costume could be fiddled with a little, maybe experiment with say a red stripe down the pant legs or something, or that kind of thing, if they want to, but, really, I think it's the right choice in broad strokes for a modern Superman.

To me, the trunks should only be seen if we get stories set in the past, or if previous Supermans from alternate timelines come back. The Clark who was born in the millennial generation wouldn't wear them.

And excluding trunks isn't a radical rewrite. It's exactly the sort of mild modernization that makes sense. The heart of the legend is all intact. If that was the most daring change they had made, I think we'd all be happier.

TVoodoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While it makes sense for a Superman modernization to NOT include the trunks, for me, it's not a matter of like or dislike; it's like the S-shaped spitcurl. It's just how it usually is.

OOCMikey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At first I was against it, but now, after not seeing him with it, I decided I miss the undies!

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Abishai100

Design Dossier

This thread seems like a silly topic, but in fact, our modern consumerism world of all lifestyle goods (i.e., Victoria's Secret, Green Giant vegetables, etc.) highlights the social value of the look and feel of all visual presentations related to culture and couture.

I like Superman's outfit and all its neat little parts as much as I like his chest insignia and his X-ray vision.

I mean, isn't that why George Lucas made the civilization-design film "THX 1138" [1971]?

Superman's red trunks are as nifty as Wonder Woman's bra and invisible plane. There should be a Superman-Wonder Woman video game.

THX 1138

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
    suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@abishai100: Sounds like an idea, although people always have an issue with making a "Superman" video game though:

1) Okay gameplay but not faithful to the source material

or

2) bad gameplay and somewhat faithful to the source material.

IDK, but an action RPGs similar to Marvel: Ultimate Alliance about New 52 heroes sounds more playable than a straight up action game of Superman/Wonder Woman.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7
    deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really.

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BlueHope

No, I don't even know why current superman have this red belt

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
    deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There hasn't been a good Superman costume since they took away the red trunks.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@playswithsquirrels: They also didn't make as interesting of a character since they took them away either, in comics anyways.

SuperCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SuperCrab

@playswithsquirrels: Have you read the new Justice League of America title yet? That's really good (This month's full book ad for Martian Manhunter aside).

SinisterSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No! No hero should ever where "Trunks"

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I like them when they are drawn like these.

Bigger, more like strongman suits rather than trunks. Like really big boxers with a yellow belt.

It just works, they make the suit look better.

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Context Control

@abishai100: Sounds like an idea, although people always have an issue with making a "Superman" video game though:

1) Okay gameplay but not faithful to the source material

or

2) bad gameplay and somewhat faithful to the source material.

IDK, but an action RPGs similar to Marvel: Ultimate Alliance about New 52 heroes sounds more playable than a straight up action game of Superman/Wonder Woman.

These are solid points, and I think many designers would agree with you --- i.e., Injustice: Gods Among Us pitting Superman and Wonder Woman in a multi-character matrix.

What we don't want is a clumsy mixing of storyboarding and gameplay. By the way, what do people think about the story continuity use-value from video games?

Injustice: Gods Among Us

No Caption Provided

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I like them when they are drawn like these.

Bigger, more like strongman suits rather than trunks. Like really big boxers with a yellow belt.

It just works, they make the suit look better.

I agree.

Avatar image for isaura_luiza_paramysio
    Isaura_Luiza_Paramysio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon, best opinion.

There is a strong visual syntax problem here. Shorts passed the idea of strongman at circus in the 40s-50s, but as of the 1960s the circus disappeared from the "popular culture", almost no one else associates Superman trunks with "strongman at circus." On the contrary, the trunks are jokes. To get back on the idea of "force", "strongman", the trunks look better if they look like boxe or MMA shorts

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup. Batman wears them too most of the time until recently.

Dession_Viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

It's a thing of the past to me.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it’s iconic.

blackagar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

They're dreadful.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0ff1f569a57
    deactivated-5b0ff1f569a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, they’re trash tier

qwertyuiop1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think red color in he lower body is fine。i always think NEW 52 superman too blue。。。but trunks。。。i just say not to my taste

Cognitive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Cognitive

They are out of date, and personally I find the New 52 outfit cooler than Post Crisis. The Rebirth costume without red trunks is good, too.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By helloman

Eh, they are fine.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They look awful IMO.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49375365792
    deactivated-5e49375365792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the middle.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.