Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Do Superman fans resent Batman in a way?

• 180 results
    Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Yeah, I'd say a lot do. Just like how Batman fans resent Superman because he's top of DC's hierarchy.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skyfire said:

Yeah, I'd say a lot do. Just like how Batman fans resent Superman because he's top of DC's hierarchy.

I am yet to see this

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx said:

@perezite:

1. WH40k
    2. WH40K
    3. siding with SCraft
    4. neutral

40k is better based on what I got from your opinions

Wait, what? Also, For the first one, it's iffy since there are millions of Terran marines and not so many Space Marines.

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Skyfire

@theocitylegend: You've never seen Batman fans hating on Superman? They do it more than anyone.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@perezite: Space Marines have these things called 'Primarchs'

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx said:

@perezite: Space Marines have these things called 'Primarchs'

Which are rather few, and, I'm pretty sure after the Horus Heresy was all said and done and we get to Warhammer 40 K proper, are even fewer. You probably should have tried Librarians instead. Still. The majority of chapters consist of your bread and butter marines with only a few unique individuals among them and those bread and butter marines are outnumbered by their Terran counterparts by a lot. Terran Counterparts who have standard rifles quite a ways more powerful than ME weapons with an insane rate of fire that bolters can't match.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Nerx

@perezite: lets see, after ward we got Khaldor Draigo, Mephiston and Logan Grimnar

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Perezite

@nerx said:

@perezite: lets see, after ward we got Khaldor Draigo, Mephiston and Logan Grimnar

Those Librarians or Primarchs, and if they're Primarchs, are they Primarchs in 40 K proper or during the Horus Heresy? Also, those are UNIQUE individuals, and not bread and butter dudes.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Space opera taking over a Supes thread... Not bad... I feel the Zod vibe in these hardcore scifi talks... :D

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite: If we add in 40k 'fluff' terrans are pasted

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx said:

@perezite: If we add in 40k 'fluff' terrans are pasted

For bread and butter marines, or in general?

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite: General, in a way that halo after silentium had just suddenly surpassed 40k in power

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx said:

@perezite: General, in a way that halo after silentium had just suddenly surpassed 40k in power

Eh...that'd only be because of the Forerunners.

Anyways, I wanna talk more with someone as knowledgeable as you in private and not take up this whole superman thread. :)

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Perezite

@nerx said:

How do we send each other personal messages?

Avatar image for digitalshooter9
    DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes they hate batman a lot only because Batman has beaten superman. They all disagree with everything they have about batman ever beating superman, but on the inside, the hardcore superman fans will always feel the anger towards batman because they know it for themselves that batman has beaten superman no matter how much they tend to deny it. If I go make an arguement about Caps beating superman, all superman fans would say is that it is not possible and just briefly explain why. But If I simply go out and make an arguement about batman beating superman, all the superman fanboys would declare me a batwanker and just give vague counter arguements: superman kills batman in 1 picosecond, shoots him from orbit destroys the earth bfrs him to the moon throws the earth into the sun while they all know, for fact that batman has humiliated superman like no one has ever done before. They rage because of their jealousy while they can just ignore millers non canon comics and just move on. In my opinion, if a superman fanboy truly hates batman, it is only because they actually believe batman could and have beaten him no matter how much they look like they dont.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes they hate batman a lot only because Batman has beaten superman. They all disagree with everything they have about batman ever beating superman, but on the inside, the hardcore superman fans will always feel the anger towards batman because they know it for themselves that batman has beaten superman no matter how much they tend to deny it. If I go make an arguement about Caps beating superman, all superman fans would say is that it is not possible and just briefly explain why. But If I simply go out and make an arguement about batman beating superman, all the superman fanboys would declare me a batwanker and just give vague counter arguements: superman kills batman in 1 picosecond, shoots him from orbit destroys the earth bfrs him to the moon throws the earth into the sun while they all know, for fact that batman has humiliated superman like no one has ever done before. They rage because of their jealousy while they can just ignore millers non canon comics and just move on. In my opinion, if a superman fanboy truly hates batman, it is only because they actually believe batman could and have beaten him no matter how much they look like they dont.

nope

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When i hear people use this phrase to justify Batman's actions "BECAUSE HE'S BATMAN!!"

It pisses the hell out of me! I mean i love batman but the fan boys just piss the crap out of me!

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I like Batman 10 times more than Superman, and I still get mad when people say Bats could beat Supes. I dont mind Thor or Hulk arguements, but Batman is a little far fetched.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow DigitalShooter9, that is probably the most obvious bait I have ever seen.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Well since i'm a fan of both, ill say no. But the one thing that does get under my skin, is the belief by many Batman Fan boys, that Batman can beat Superman or even posses a significant threat to him. So i would say i resent his fan base to a certain degree, beacuse other wise sensible people, become raging lunatics when they are summoned to to defend Batman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Superman will always be my favourite hero. He's been there ever since i was young and i grew up on a healthy diet of superman cartoons and films. However i like batman as well. An incredible hero that always enteratains. I enjoy both his stories and his films. But the only thing i dislike now is the "Prep god" thing. It's overused and almost reminds me of superman during the silver age. My thinking always descends to the fact that if batman got prep why didn't the other charcter get prep? Plus i've never got the relatable argument. I've read my fair share of Batman and I can't see anything that i personally relate to. In fact i find the Clark Kent persona more relatable but thats just me [Just my opinion not trying to flame]. But in the end it comes down to the fanboys of BOTH charcters who distort and damage the charcters image.

Epicakhil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only reason superman fanboys hate batman fanboys like me is because superman is the most overpowered superhero yet a superhero with no powers (batman) can defeat him ( read the comic JLA Tower of Babel).

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

#123  Edited By Durakken

i'd much more put up to for those people who are strictly fans of one and not the other they are annoyed that the others don't realize that their media is bad...

Nolan Batman sucks ; Batman fanboys don't think so ; Superman fanboys think that Batman fanboys are being dumb

Nolan Superman sucks ; Superman fanboys don't think so ; Batman fanboys think that Superman fanboys are being dumb

Durakken proclaims Nolan, Synger, and their versions of Superman and Batman sucks ; their fan boys don't think so ; Durakken thinks that they're being dumb.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny thing is they are supposed to be best friends but most of their fanboys are sworn enemies.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Not at all! Actually I don't think batman is more popular than superman amongst the general public, but certainly has more of a cult following amongst the comic book fans I know. Superman is perhaps seen as a bit lame, Batman, with its dark side, more cool. I think as someone who likes both superman and batman I do find it far fetched that Batman has beaten Superman before in the comics, simply because he is normal human being with no powers going up against someone who is almost like a god by comparison. Perhaps what irritates superman fans is the constant bragging of batman fans that the bat can beat anyone, take anyone down. The comic book world wouldn't be the same if this big two ceased to exist.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Jack Donaghy

@bezza said:

Not at all! Actually I don't think batman is more popular than superman amongst the general public, but certainly has more of a cult following amongst the comic book fans I know. Superman is perhaps seen as a bit lame, Batman, with its dark side, more cool. I think as someone who likes both superman and batman I do find it far fetched that Batman has beaten Superman before in the comics, simply because he is normal human being with no powers going up against someone who is almost like a god by comparison. Perhaps what irritates superman fans is the constant bragging of batman fans that the bat can beat anyone, take anyone down. The comic book world wouldn't be the same if this big two ceased to exist.

Yeah but that's the thing, Superman's main enemy is exactly what Batman is a smart human with no powers. Of course Batman would never be able to beat Superman 1-1 but with prep he could just like Lex could.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Some do but I don't.

I like Batman. Superman is just a lot better.

9dragons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By 9dragons

It because batman beating superman makes superman seem less super and only beings with god-like powers can put superman down as they don't lessen superman's image of godhood. Additionally, Batman has more depth then superman as a character.

KingOfKings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't hate Batman as a character . I despise his fanatics and ball jugglers like Frank Miller.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Some do but I don't.

I like Batman. Superman is just a lot better.

Sums up my thoughts.

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Kryptonian24

@kingofkings1: I agree. I don't hate Batman at all. I don't even hate his fans. I hate his FANBOYS. Much different. The fans are mature and reasonable enough to have decent conversations with while the fanboys are about as reasonable as two-year-olds on a sugar rush. The fans even admit that Batman would lose to Superman more often than not with all things equal if they were to fight as such. They admit that Superman is the world's best hope for the greatest of threats and they even find it ridiculous that Batman is capable of doing certain things. I myself, a longtime Superman fan (evidenced by my name), have admitted that Batman typically has better storylines, video games, and in terms of layers for certain characters, villains. Shoot, I'll even admit that Batman is the superior fighter even if Superman does know several different styles of fighting aside from his traditional brawling tactics.

The problem with a lot of Superman fans, though, is that they have a tendency to focus on the negatives rather than the positives. Yes, Batman has gained greater popularity these days, but that doesn't change certain points about him that have been long-standing.

1. He is STILL the most iconic and important superhero of all time. He exists, in a sense, outside of popular culture and is used in every day lingual, songs, references, etc. Little kids, ones who may not even speak English, throw towels over their backs and run around to pretend to be him. His S-Shield is the second most recognizable symbol in the world, right up under the Cross of Jesus itself. Most importantly, whether the Batman fanboys want to admit it or not, if it wasn't for Superman, Batman, or any modern Superhero for that matter, wouldn't even exist. They were ALL in some way created off of his template, no matter how vastly different they are from him.

2. He remains DC's flagship character. Despite Batman's popularity, Superman remains the company's primary mascot. Not to compare competitors, but it is the same with Marvel. At this point, it seems more people are into Cap, Iron Man, Thor, and Hulk than they are Spider-man, Marvel's flagship. People are leaning more towards Batman these days, yes, but Superman still has his throne.

3. To Batman, in canon, he remains undefeated. Even in the New 52, Batman still hasn't physically bested Superman despite knowing ALL of his vulnerabilities and aware that he holds back, even if he doesn't do it as much as he used to. This is the Superman fans' primary complaint, and it's one I share. He NEVER beat him in canon and despite DC recognizing Batman as their most popular hero, they refused to allow him to win in canon. If anything, the only time he can win is if he or Superman are written poorly (cough cough Dark Knight Returns crap cough cough).

In short, I believe that Superman fans resent Batman's fanboys as opposed to Batman himself. They may not know it themselves, but I think that's it. The Superman fanboys, however, a different story entirely.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

i mean batman gets more than any character in DC and is constantly put on a level where he is seen as equal to superman when honestly most of the JL could run threw him without a sweat when it comes to power alone

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#134  Edited By Superguy1591

I only resent Batman writers(Scott Snyder, Bruce Timm and Frank Miller, mostly, and I only resent them when they write Superman); Batman fans are no more annoying than any other group of fans, including some Superman fans who think Superman could take the other 6 members of the Justice League and win with ease.

As far as Batman fans are concerned, 90% of other superhero fan bases are no different when it comes to Superman: they all think he's overpowered and know nothing about him--Marvel fans and Batman fans are really no different--so I don't dislike Batman fans more than anyone else.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#135  Edited By Superguy1591

@jack_donaghy: One problem: Lex never beat him and Lex admits Superman would kill him easily if he wanted to.

Also, it's a far comparison to Batman and Lex. Prior to the N52, Lex was always the smarter of the two and books like All-Star Superman and Red Son have hinted that if Superman could inspire Luthor to be good Luthor would usher in humanity's finest age.

Luthor is supposed to be a once in a lifetime mind, like Einstien, Batman is just brilliant.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl

I love Superman and I love Batman. I dont resent either.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sandman_ said:

Superheroes are not supposed to be relatable. They are supposed to be people we look up to, people we aspire to be.

People want to connect to heroes as they act in comparison to how we would act, but still hold a bigger conviction of moral righteousness and ideals than most of us would carry making them inspirational as well as empathetic. Spider-Man is one of the most popular characters on earth because of this, he is us and superman(on a fundamental level at least) at the same time. He represents the best of us but at the same time has flaws and imperfections and insecurities like anyone else in the world.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some Superman fans are resentful of Superman himself, so of course there are going to be some fans resentful of other characters.

But I wouldn't generalize Superman fans as resenting Batman.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to resent them more when Supes is written so poorly, it's even worse in JL when it feels like he's written specifically to make Batman look better.

SamRF_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By SamRF_

Batman is my second favorite superhero after superman, idc of him being more popular, I don't want to resent him at all.

The blind batman fanboys that don't now anything about superman at all do anger me, always saying superman is a boring and uninspiring character and then saying batman can beat him easily on top of it. There are way more batman fans hating on superman than the other way around.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah. I think people are just more...disappointed in how DC uses many of it's properties (or how it doesn't use many of it's properties) in favor of their proven go-to, Batman.

Said disappointment probably could turn into resentment, but eh.

Avatar image for lonesharkadriano
    lonesharkadriano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disliked Bruce timm's JLA Batman, they made Batman way more cooler than others, which annoyed me. Also Frank Miller's Batman, oh I wished that character would had been dead(didn't liked his version of supes either). My friends are huge Batman fans, but even they acknowledge the fact that Bats can't beat everyone as fanboys babble about.

I like Batman, when he's in his own universe and no other superheroes are added in, just to make him look more cooler.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jack_donaghy:

Popularity and higher sales rate aren't exactly the same thing.

But I got no problem with Batman. None whatsoever.

It's Superman writes that piss me off. Because rare have been the writers that have shown half the passion and dedication, I've seen in Batman stories.

It's much more easy to relate to a character that doesn't change so dramatically with each change of team. And with Superman in the N52 my best times were with Lobdell and Morrison run. Pak also brought some good stuff. But aside from these three names I mentioned, all other writers have gone in directions that really took the character nowhere.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d30ff90eed8f
    deactivated-5d30ff90eed8f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PLEASE READ!!!!!

Batman fans and Superman fans are always at eachothers throats(I'm a fan of both by the way). The reason why the two are always fighting in such an irrational way is because both of the groups are jerks in their own respect.

Superman fans hate Batman beacause they feel threatened by Batman's popularity, he's everywhere; comics, moves, tv shows, games, etc. Many see Superman as the unbeatable hero and icon, the champion of all! Many place him on this mantle as the ultimate hero and saying someone beating him is just blasphemy. They simply feel like Batman doesn't deserve all of the attention that he gets.They want Superman to be the most loved and respected superhero, and because Batman is his rival it causes them to lash out aggressively and insecurely whenever talking about something that has nothing to do with Batman! The truth is that Superman fans have a very fragile love for the big blue boy scout so they get extremely paranoid and bring Batman into the matter whenever something threatens Superman's title. Superman fans need to stop hating on Batman while being so insecure and jealous and just accept the fact that Batman is a popular character who can exist along side him(BEFORE YOU SCROLL DOWN, READ MY SECTION ON BATMAN FANS ABOUT BAT FANS).

Batman fans on the other hand have their own set of problems! A small portion of fan boys believe that Batman is all knowing, all seeing, all being, etc. Those fan boys see Batman as a being who can beat ANYONE and who can do no wrong, because of that they coast on the fact that Batman has beaten him 50% in their fights! The truth is that while Batman is capable of beating Superman with prep, without it he will most likely end up being a stain on the sidewalk. They never consider how Superman could just randomly show up and kill him. They don't hate Superman per se, they just don't see his level of power. Superman is often used as a way to brag about how great Batman is. As great as Batman is he's not omnipotent and gets beaten all of the time. Going into debates some fan boys say "Batman wins because he's Batman" or "he wipes his @$$ with Superman". Those few fan boys need to consider what Batman can do along with his limits, because he can and has been defeated by characters like Superman.

IN CONCLUSION

Superman and Batman are two fantastic characters who often work alongside eachother very well. Both of them are great but they also have their flaws where if you ask me can sometimes make them even better characters in. I love them both but I hate to see fans constantly fighting over the two of them, be it naively worshipping Batman as their hero or Superman fans insecurely protecting theirs. People with this sort of passion for the characters should using that energy for much more positive things than arguing about "why this character is better" or "why this one would win in a fight". There characters were created so that we could enjoy the exploits and along the way we were given much more profound reasons to appreciate them for what they are. Rather than let them tear us apart let's do what we are supposed to and unite:)

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, they do.

Avatar image for deactivated-634b041416ba6
    deactivated-634b041416ba6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be honest, I do like Batman. He's one of my favorite heroes. I don't resent him, though. However, I DO resent DC BECAUSE whenever Batman fights Superman, it's always "Batman wins by default simply because of who he is and what he does". Every single time they have a fight, guess who wins? If it's not a stalemate, it's Batman who ALWAYS wins. And DC has done this because they write Batman that way. It's not Batman's fault he always wins, it's DC 's fault and that is where I strictly lay the blame.

For once, I would like to read an in-canon story where Superman wins against Batman. After all, Clark SHOULD be MORE than smart enough to NOT fall for Batman's tricks, gimmicks, planning and contingencies. He SHOULD be more than smart enough to actually outsmart the Bat and come out on top for once, make his own plans and back up plans, etc. Instead, he just blindly charges in on Batman, EVERY SINGLE TIME, and Batrman is ready for him. Whenever they fight, Superman's intelligence level drops to zero and fights like a total IDIOT when he should KNOW BETTER. But does DC ever think to do a story where Superman wins? Only in non-canon stories like Injustice. That comic had Superman break Batman's back over his knee much like Bane did. But will we ever see something like that in canon? DC would rather walk barefoot on broken glass for 2 miles rather than allow that to happen.

No, I don't resent Batman, I resent DC because THEY are the ones responsible for writing Batman that way.

Avatar image for masterskywalker
    MasterSkywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for dbultrainstinct
    DBUltraInstinct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, just like how they hate Goku because they know deep down that Superman is an inferior character.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@renegade84: Um Superman has beaten Batman in the overwhelming majority of their fights.

Infact I think only New 52 Superman has actually ever lost to Batman in a canon story.

Avatar image for deactivated-634b041416ba6
    deactivated-634b041416ba6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.