Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Did New 52 Superman bench press the earth or.......

pokemonon1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pokemonon1

Too long to type in the title.

Did new 52 Superman bench press the earth or something which has the same mass as the earth?

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Stormbox

@st0nnec0ld said:

Did new 52 Superman bench press the earth or something which has the same mass as the earth?

This

pokemonon1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By pokemonon1

@Stormbox: Thanks for the quick post... or reply, whatever :P

I heard people say that he didn't get any energy from the sun when he did this, is that true?

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By colonyofcells

Maybe Superman can be killed if he is walking and 2 planets fall on top of his head ?

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Stormbox

@st0nnec0ld: That i dont know lol

Im not reading superman (only ac) so i dont know if he did that, i only heard about this feat and found this scan

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By colonyofcells

Superman is a better battery than Apollo and Superman seems to be able to store solar energy for like forever.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#7  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@st0nnec0ld said:

I heard people say that he didn't get any energy from the sun when he did this, is that true?

He he was beginning to weaken and actually start to sweat because he was out of the sun for 5 days

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Kal'smahboi
    @Jonny_Anonymous said:

@st0nnec0ld said:

He he was beginning to weaken and actually start to sweat because he was out of the sun for 5 days

This. He had stored energy from the Sun, but had been out of it for days and was beginning to weaken.
    BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Sextillion....giggity.

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
    cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By cloudzackvincent

since Veritas was thinking of kicking the graviton matrix into second gear i wonder if it means Kal can benchpress a even higher amount

kama_094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kama_094

@Jonny_Anonymous: He only let out a drop of sweat after exerting himself that much (bench pressing the weight of the earth non-stop) for 5 days. Which is to say he was just starting to feel the effects. He still had it in him to fly to the sun after that.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FatihBATMAN

he is....a god....lol

jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jobbernos

yes one of his greatest feat in new 52 yet.

Supes1903

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Supes1903

I'd actually consider the speed feat from Red Hood and the Outlaws #14 where he traveled from Pluto to Earth to be a better feat than his bench pressing.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Onemoreposter

@Supes1903: Haven't got that issue yet. He also had a very impressive feat in the last issue of Action Comics. He hears a cry for help on Mars when he's on earth and travels to the planet in a handful of seconds (possibly a few minutes but the comic shows that there is very little time between him leaving Earth and reaching Mars).

Supes1903

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Supes1903

I'll just say, the RHOT speed feat blows the travel to Mars out of the water. Enjoy the read!

Superlad93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Superlad93

@Supes1903 said:

I'll just say, the RHOT speed feat blows the travel to Mars out of the water. Enjoy the read!

Probably the best raw speed feat currently in the whole new 52.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Onemoreposter

@Supes1903: Will do!

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By PowerHerc

Yeah, he was repping it for over 5 days.

He's the strongest being ever.

No question. No doubt.

Avatar image for lightningtiger2190
    LightningTiger2190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PowerHerc said:

No question. No doubt.

Makes you afraid of what his one rep max is. How fast was his rep? If we say it takes 1 second for average rep to be completed, then he did 432,000 reps if my math is correct and only broke a sweat...That was a warm up set for him lol.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By PowerHerc

@LightningTiger2190 said:

@PowerHerc said:

No question. No doubt.

Makes you afraid of what his one rep max is. How fast was his rep? If we say it takes 1 second for average rep to be completed, then he did 432,000 reps if my math is correct and only broke a sweat...That was a warm up set for him lol.

That's right!

The fact that he was able to rep that amount of weight for that long means the actual top-end limit(?) of his strength is beyond understanding.

Imagine a world-class strongman or powerlifter lifting any amount of weight for over five days (in any exercise).

It's absolutely impossible. No one would have the strength or stamina to last that long. It couldn't be done.

Funcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Funcake

@PowerHerc said:

Imagine a world-class strongman or powerlifter lifting any amount of weight for over five days (in any exercise).

It's absolutely impossible. No one would have the strength or stamina to last that long. It couldn't be done.

This!!

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
    termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By termiteone4ever

@PowerHerc said:

@LightningTiger2190 said:

@PowerHerc said:

No question. No doubt.

That's right!

The fact that he was able to rep that amount of weight for that long means the actual top-end limit(?) of his strength is beyond understanding.

Well said . Remember he did this with out the power of the sun to keep him at peak . Now you can only imagine HELL Spont and this Other This new Kryptonian that kicks super boy super girl and superman all in one with ease . . Their strength and power level i cant even understand

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi all-

Could one of you tell me if this has been retconned or not?

Thanks,

BullPR

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr said:

Hi all-

Could one of you tell me if this has been retconned or not?

Thanks,

BullPR

he did bench press the earths weight for 5 days, not the actual earth. He only produced a single drop of sweat, he said he could do it longer, and he was hidden away from the sun while doing this.

Later on during his fight with he'l the same doctor who studied his strength said she miscalculated and he was far stronger than she thought.

Hope that answers your question

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: The most of Impressive thing is He'l even not feel hurt

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Thanks!

So just to be sure, it is now considered to be "canon" that this is, more or less, new 52 Superman level of strength?

If yes, all the battles I saw in the forum, and involving this Superman, are either outdated or full of wrong conclusions.

Seriously, how DC would be able to built so many stories around Superman if this feat is respected?

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr: Trust me; Dont read battles thread,here has a lot of fanboys and Superman hater,it's would be hurt your brain

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

earth.

StudentOfJorEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By StudentOfJorEl
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yes

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By SaintWildcard

Say what you want about Lobdell but the man knows how to give him some good feats. Heck in the issue where he goes to Lois's party he says that Supernovas are no big deal and he flew from earth to pluto in less than a minute and tracked Red Hood's gang in that same time. These feats are what makes me love Superman

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ummm...yes he did. And that was pretty much clear too.

GreyLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GreyLight

This feat is on the same level as turning back time by flying around the earth, on the bullshit scale.

undeadtribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just came across this thead while on another one about this "bench pressing the Earth for 5 days". I'm going to repost my reply (because the writer that came up with this feat is so profoundly ignorant of math and the source of Superman's powers that it needs to be repeated).

I'm an old-time comic book reader, having started reading in the mid-70s until about the mid-90s and only recently returned. I see that not only has DC gone back to the completely out of touch with reality power levels of the pre-Crisis era, they've caused Marvel to do this too. My nephew showed me this sometime ago, Superman "bench pressing the Earth for 5 days" crap, and not only is it just beyond ridiculous even by comic book physics, it goes against everything we know of the source of Superman's powers.

Let's look at what "bench pressing the Earth for 5 days straight" actually means.

The mass of the Earth = 5.972e24 kg. Assuming one bench per second and a distance of 0.5 m for each press we get the following information:

5.972e24 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 * 0.5 m = 2.93e25 joules of energy per rep.

5 days * 24 hours/day * 60 min/hour * 60 sec/min * 1 sec/rep = 432,000 reps.

This yields 1.26e31 joules of energy needed for Superman to "bench press the Earth for 5 days".

Now Superman gets his powers from our sun - specifically our yellow sun. The amount of power received from the sun on Earth is approximately 1.37 kW/m^2. The average man has about 2 m^2 of surface area, half of which we'll assume faces the sun for absorbtion. For simplicity's sake we'll also assume all of this energy is absorbed by Superman (even though we're told it's the "yellow" part of the sun that gives him his powers - and the "red" takes them away).

So we get 1.26e31 J / 1.37 kW = 9.23e26 seconds that Superman must spend absorbing sunlight in order to have enough energy to, again, "bench press the Earth for 5 days".

9.23e26 seconds = 2.93e20 YEARS. That's 2.93 hundred billion billion years. Even if Superman "sun dipped" at some optimal absorption point with the power output of 1,000,000 times that of the surface of the Earth (at the surface of the sun the power output is only about 10-20 times that on Earth), it would still take more than a 20 billion times the age of the universe in order for him to get that much energy. Like I said, beyond ridiculous.

Look I understand this is just a comic book character, but stupid crap like this completely destroys the suspension of disbelief in stories. Superman at this power level is so far beyond someone like Wonder Woman or the Hulk (at least the old 70 ton calm Hulk) that seeing Spider-man's Aunt May knock out Aquaman is actually more realistic than anyone ever hurting Superman. Even the "holds back" his full strength explanation makes no sense. He'd need to control not just each individual muscle cell, but every molecular fibril to a precision of parts per billion and he'd still risk obliterating every person he ever hit. Is it really so important to people that their guy be the strongest there is, that you need feats like "punching through dimensions" to satisfy you?

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I like how the Earth is able to take the entire weight of the Earth at a small point (few metres or so), gotta love Lobdell physics.

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Zandalf

@maccyd said:

I like how the Earth is able to take the entire weight of the Earth at a small point (few metres or so), gotta love Lobdell physics.

He has simply used a machine to test his strength. This entire thread is useless, Superman could lift that much weight and people should deal with it for gods sake. Stuff like that is really so important? i've never read all those shortsighted coplaints when other heroes,like silversurfer,thor,betaraybill or martian manhunter do something equally impressive or even on a bigger scale.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes he did. Although there's some room left for speculation. We know that he bench pressed on a machine created by Dr. Shay Veritas the equivalent to the entire mass of the planet for five days, without having sunlight to fuel his powers, but we don't know if it were five whole days, or if he took pauses between exercises. Still, it's one major feat.

But again don't let it fool you. Superman power levels are unstable at best. In some comics he exceeds his known power levels and at other times he seems a lot weaker. Again the problem with the DC team. They don't come up with a basis that all writers have to follow, and has such Superman has a character is left in this sort of "limbo" of power level and feats, where no one can say for certain what he can or can't do.

Avatar image for supermankingofheroes
    supermankingofheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undeadtribunal:

It was pressing ,not bench pressing .

Why not, he is the worlds greatest fictional superhero.

Lighten up

It's a comic

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undeadtribunal: this person understands why a Scott Lobdell feat should never be treated as a lehitimate comic book feat. It is too stupid to be compared to comics that people actually though about writing.

And no other writer treats his stories as actually happening.

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Zandalf

@senglord: "sigh"...however lifting the planet for five days isn't his biggest feat anymore and he has performed it without Scott Lobdell (wondering what people will say in order to try to scredit this feat now)

Avatar image for supermankingofheroes
    supermankingofheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was continuous .

Why?

How could you test your limits if you rest in between ?

Why superman shocked to perspire on the last day? Wouldn't he have sweated the first day before if he rested ?

Why did dr veritas disclose the weight at the end if he took breaks ? Why not tell him day one ?

Superman is the worlds greatest hero and that feat of strength and stamina surpasses all

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.