Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Did Geoff Johns write the best canonical Superman?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Was his run on Superman the best canonical run? If not who had a better run?

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By PapiNacho

I dunno about the best but the most well known are Byrne's, Jurgen's and Busiek's.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
    deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Him and Byrne's are probably the best.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kidchipotle

He wrote a really good Superman but the best? No.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@arturocalakayvee:

Who did better?

PapiNacho gave a good list. I loved Johns Post-Crisis Superman but his portrayal of Superman in the New 52 has seriously hindered credibility as being the best.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I remember burning through Johns run on Action. Great stuff.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

He wrote a great Supes, but Greg Pak might overshadow him when he returns to the boy-scout in June. Pak is writing the best Superman since Johns left.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lightsout

His Superman run definitely is overlooked both in terms of Superman-stories & as "classic GJ title" (I think I read them & didn't even realize it was GJ as first. I associated him more with GL, JSA, Teen Titans, & though I hadn't read it at the time - Flash). Too bad he's not writing like this anymore (save some Aquaman). If being a big-wig is detracting from his writing, he should just stick to that & pass the torch.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

He was my favorite. Morrison's been pretty good to Superman as well with his Action run and Final Crisis.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree said:

He was my favorite. Morrison's been pretty good to Superman as well with his Action run and Final Crisis.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Squalleon

He is one of the best but the best is more than debatable. Waid, Morrison,Rucka,Busiek are some names coming to mind.

Also if we go about all time best: Elliot S Maggin,Byrne, Allan Moore where top too.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: No, absolutely not.

I dunno about the best but the most well known are Byrne's, Jurgen's and Busiek's.

Fantastic list. All better than Johns. Also, Morrison's reboot in Action comics. Waid's briefly canonical reboot with Birthright. Loeb's run on Superman/Batman. All of Jack Kirby's 4th world stuff including Superman.

Overall, I think my faves though have to be Byrne, Jurgens, and Morrison.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@sog7dc: No, absolutely not.

@papinacho said:

Fantastic list. All better than Johns. Also, Morrison's reboot in Action comics. Waid's briefly canonical reboot with Birthright. Loeb's run on Superman/Batman. All of Jack Kirby's 4th world stuff including Superman.

Overall, I think my faves though have to be Byrne, Jurgens, and Morrison.

To be honest I've been enjoying Snyder's run on Unchained far more than Morrison's, but then I was a new reader when I read his Action (and I am really pissed at the delays)

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Joe Kelly's Superman run is what I consider to be the best canonical run on the Superman series myself. That guy wrote stellar Superman stories like "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and The American Way" as well as keeping a consistent and freshly vibrant series. He also wrote Superman's voice and character almost perfectly IMO. Morrison is my favourite Superman writer thanks to JLA and All Star Superman but Kelly comes in a close second. For a gritty and dark writer, he knows how to write inspirational and uplifting stories as well.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Squalleon

@lvenger said:

Joe Kelly's Superman run is what I consider to be the best canonical run on the Superman series myself. That guy wrote stellar Superman stories like "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and The American Way" as well as keeping a consistent and freshly vibrant series. He also wrote Superman's voice and character almost perfectly IMO. Morrison is my favourite Superman writer thanks to JLA and All Star Superman but Kelly comes in a close second. For a gritty and dark writer, he knows how to write inspirational and uplifting stories as well.

Shame his run was destroyed by constant crossovers... and bad ones at that. He has written some very good single issues!

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papinacho: Yeah, Morrison can be kinda polarizing among the fans. He gets a little to heady sometimes, even for me. I checked out the first issue of Superman Unchained and didn't like it well enough to pick up the second. I don't hate Snyder or anything but I'm not really a fan of his writing style or types of stories he likes to tell.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@squalleon: I guess but his Christmas issue was glorious. Even in the crossovers, he kept a good Superman voice. As for the crossovers, although they may not have been as good as they could be, they were efforts to put Superman in the limelight by DC. Something that's mostly neglected nowadays by DC execs.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Meh, it was just nostalgia.

BB

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@squalleon: I guess but his Christmas issue was glorious. Even in the crossovers, he kept a good Superman voice. As for the crossovers, although they may not have been as good as they could be, they were efforts to put Superman in the limelight by DC. Something that's mostly neglected nowadays by DC execs.

True and some of them had good ideas behind but the constant crossover form and the inconsistency between the titles diminished the impact of the stories. I remember some of Kelly's single issues like the "For a thousand years" and "Metropolis Knights". Also Kelly created one of my favorite female Superman villians the Encantadora, so underused...she could be the Catwoman of Superman (but with a one sided crush).

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm definitely looking forward to Johns on Superman from April onwards

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only Johns Superman comics I have read are Brainiac and Last Son and they are freaking awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.