Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Did anyone else think the pax galactica were really cool?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Would you guys like to see them again?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Not really, they were so forgetable, from character to design they didn't picked my interest.

The name is good though :-P

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Cool name, but all I remember is a bunch of greenskin space vikings lead by hot warrior-princess and somehow capable of talking in vacuum. Still they could be used later, in introduction to some Superman’s space adventure (I hate when characters used only once and then get forgotten for many years).

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Lvenger

They were created by Scott Lobdell. Why would I ever want to see such boring, forgettable and clichéd characters appear in the interesting and immersive world of Superman ever again? They weren't interesting characters in the slightest so that's definitely enough reason not to use them again.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

I think that, sometimes, you're a little unfair to Lobdell. Yes he has been doing a very poor job for the most part but the pax galactica, and I recognize this is my singular opinion, were an interesting bunch. That and the fact that they opened to door for cosmic Superman in the new 52. Something I've been vocal about wanting. So just take Lobdell out of the equation and imagine Superman and space Vikings who have weapons that destroy planet busting machines with a single strike headed up by a Viking warrior princess who's brother is an evil being composed of magic and planets he destroyed......if that's not the basis for a million interesting stories idk what is

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@lvenger:

I think that, sometimes, you're a little unfair to Lobdell. Yes he has been doing a very poor job for the most part but the pax galactica, and I recognize this is my singular opinion, were an interesting bunch. That and the fact that they opened to door for cosmic Superman in the new 52. Something I've been vocal about wanting. So just take Lobdell out of the equation and imagine Superman and space Vikings who have weapons that destroy planet busting machines with a single strike headed up by a Viking warrior princess who's brother is an evil being composed of magic and planets he destroyed......if that's not the basis for a million interesting stories idk what is

I know you've always wanted more cosmic Superman stories but there's no way The Pax Galactica are the way to go about it. It should be based in pre existing DC lore anyway and not some overblown cliched and uninteresting sci fi vikings rip off. There are ways of doing a good cosmic Superman story but Lobdell's creations were not one of them. Whilst you may accuse me of being unfair to Lobdell, you are also blindsided by your desire for cosmic Superman stories and not truly seeing the inherent character problems and stereotypes that make the Pax Galactica a poor choice to start Superman's cosmic storyline.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SOG7dc

@lvenger:

That's fair. I honestly jut kids feel bad for Lobdell. I feel like editing has hurt him. And if he had the chance to tell us the story he had in mind it would have been a much better run. And I know that other writers deal with editing too but I think it has particularly hurt Lobdells story. Besides that I just refuse to believe a professional writer could be this bad whilst putting forth his best effort.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: His Teen Titans and Superboy stories haven't left much to be desired in his other written storylines.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@lvenger:

That's fair. I honestly jut kids feel bad for Lobdell. I feel like editing has hurt him. And if he had the chance to tell us the story he had in mind it would have been a much better run. And I know that other writers deal with editing too but I think it has particularly hurt Lobdells story. Besides that I just refuse to believe a professional writer could be this bad whilst putting forth his best effort.

Lobdell doesn't have editorial problems...It's exactly the opposite. Main members of the editorial group have good relations with him (Bob Harras is a prime example)
    Throwing the blame at the editors is unfair. Their mistake isn't that they don't give Lobdell freedom but that they made him lead writer of the Superman titles. N52 Superboy is a prime example of bad Ideas from the writer's side.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

Wow. So it's been that bad jut because Lobdell is that bad? I thought that, because he's had some good ideas with poor execution, that maybe DC editorial was to blame. But if what you say is true then lvenger is right about Lobdell

Avatar image for whowatchesthewatchmen
    Whowatchesthewatchmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They weren't forgetable but not memorable either, I wouldn't mind seeing them agin?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They seemed pretty forgettable to me.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@squalleon:

Wow. So it's been that bad jut because Lobdell is that bad? I thought that, because he's had some good ideas with poor execution, that maybe DC editorial was to blame. But if what you say is true then lvenger is right about Lobdell

Bob Harras is probably the reason DC hired Lobdell...he is DC's editor in chief.
    Look not every writer can be excellent and Lobdell may not be a bad writer but he definetely doesn't suit Superman.
    Now the real question is: Why DC still have him in this title?!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lvenger

@squalleon: Because he bends to the editor's every whim. If they want a crossover, Lobdell does a crossover. If they want Superboy dead, Lobdell offs him. If they want Superman to fight the marshmallow monster from Ghostbusters, Lobdell will find a way to fit it in lol.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't disregard them right away, at this point all I'll say is they have potential...under a better pen.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@squalleon: Because he bends to the editor's every whim. If they want a crossover, Lobdell does a crossover. If they want Superboy dead, Lobdell offs him. If they want Superman to fight the marshmallow monster from Ghostbusters, Lobdell will find a way to fit it in lol.

Agreed. I just hope his "Vision" for the character reaches it's end. DC seems to like torturing Superman...His titles are the most inconsistent and most influenced by the editorial through out the modern age, it seems that DC doesn't allow writers to define their Superman or take risks, Andy Diggle comes to mind.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Agreed. I just hope his "Vision" for the character reaches it's end. DC seems to like torturing Superman...His titles are the most inconsistent and most influenced by the editorial through out the modern age, it seems that DC doesn't allow writers to define their Superman or take risks, Andy Diggle comes to mind.

Aw that reminds me of all the awesome plans Diggle had in mind for Superman before editorial differences hit the fan. There was so much potential on Action Comics that could be fulfilled by Diggle. It's a real shame he left albeit for justifiable reasons. Though with Snyder on Unchained and Pak on Action Comics, things are looking rather more consistent for Superman IMO wouldn't you say?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Squalleon

@lvenger: Considering SU is ending I am not sure, things just went back to when Grant Morrison was writing AC, one good title and one that sucks.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Considering SU is ending I am not sure, things just went back to when Grant Morrison was writing AC, one good title and one that sucks.

Ah true, that is a definite possibility.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@lvenger: Superman & The L.E.G.I.O.N would be a good cosmic book IMO

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Superman & The L.E.G.I.O.N would be a good cosmic book IMO

Hmm true the Legion would be a good gateway into more sci fi or cosmic based Superman stories.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

That first issue Diggle's wrote was amazing. He wrote the perfect Lex Luthor.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

dont hate me but i kinda want to see that lol

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

dont hate me but i kinda want to see that lol

It is a far fetched crossover but it is something Lobdell would do lol.

Kazuma_Bushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kazuma_Bushi

I enjoyed them and I would really like to see them appear again. I hope they're not forgotten about.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. Specially Lourdes. If Superman romance with Wonder Woman goes sideways she looked like a worthy romantic potential.

And even outside romantical things, it would be interesting to see Superman doing more outworld missions. Writers could make him team up with Pax Galactica for a while.

I for one am always waiting to see Superman do more outerspace missions. And teaming up with the Pax, other groups or just other aliens would make things far more interesting in Superman comics.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
    unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually somewhat liked them

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.