Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Did anyone else feel really dissapointed with Superman:Earth One

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Eternal19

I didnt like Superman:Earth One because it didnt feel like a Superman story. They made Clark emo he's not supposed to be emo Clark enjoys life. I like a superman who enjoys his powers and is inspired and is willing to use those powers to help people, the Earth One superman wasnt as excited about his powers and it seemed like his mother was more excited about his powers than Clark. I dont like how his Mother had to convince him to become Superman it didnt seem right. My biggest problem with the book is how Superman is Motivated by the want to avenge thats stupid and its not what Superman stands for

Avatar image for supermanfan1234
    supermanfan1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By supermanfan1234

@Eternal19: Agreed lets hope man of steel doesnt make his peronality like that.

MisterKetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MisterKetch

My biggest problem with it was the super intelligent superman, I've always hated when writers use that it makes an already overpowered hero practically omnipotent.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Gambit1024

It was too short.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By sethysquare

@Eternal19 said:

I didnt like Superman:Earth One because it didnt feel like a Superman story. They made Clark emo he's not supposed to be emo Clark enjoys life. I like a superman who enjoys his powers and is inspired and is willing to use those powers to help people, the Earth One superman wasnt as excited about his powers and it seemed like his mother was more excited about his powers than Clark. I dont like how his Mother had to convince him to become Superman it didnt seem right. My biggest problem with the book is how Superman is Motivated by the want to avenge thats stupid and its not what Superman stands for

Thats why its Superman Earth one, not regular Superman

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ssejllenrad

He was emo because he was trying to find his purpose. Yeah, it wasn't the typical Supes we've come to know but it's a more "realistic" take on what a young adult who knows he's different from everyone else. I don't think it will be the same emo thing with book 2. I mean, towards the end, he was no longer the emo immature kid that he was at the start. You could see it as well in the difference the way Metropolis people act at the start compared to that in the end. At first it was like "mind your own business" kinda feel. Then towards the end, they were looking up in the sky as a response to the hero they have and the hope he brings. Fingers-crossed, it will no longer be the emo Clark.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Deranged Midget

I felt it was far too short and for some reason, I kept getting a Smallville vibe from it, but overall, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Squalleon

@MisterKetch said:

My biggest problem with it was the super intelligent superman, I've always hated when writers use that it makes an already overpowered hero practically omnipotent.

Superman must have super intellect or he is not Superman the problem is that some writers forget that element!From calling him ovepowered i am pretty sure you are not a superman fan because superman is anything but overpowered this days.

MisterKetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MisterKetch

@Squalleon: No i'm not much of a superman fan but I am reading Action Comics and Superman. I think the super intelligence isn't forgotten just ignored or else it would be impossible to write him.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SmashBrawler

I was dissapointed by how long I had to wait for Volume 2 to be released (and I'm still waiting!).

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SandMan_
    @MisterKetch: Supes might not be the smartest guy ever, but he is no idiot. he is pretty smart.
    MisterKetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MisterKetch

@SandMan_: I don't disagree with that I mean he's definitely not flying around going "Clark smash" It just seems given how smart his super intelligence would realistically be he would be way to detached from the world.

Earth One just kind of proved that to me I mean if he's truly that brilliant he could make a massive fortune create a company to help the world at large, make cures for the worst diseases and viruses, figure out how to turn the deserts into farm land etc etc etc yet he chooses to work at a low rate paper to "help the little guy" It's not noble its incredibly selfish of him since he can make such a dramatic impact on the world.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SandMan_
    @MisterKetch: I would just like it if they keep it consistent. Not dumb him down when Batman is around.

What I got from Earth One is that Ma and Pa Kent kinda obligated him to be Superman.
    Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Squalleon

@MisterKetch: Sorry man,i disagree! If you think superman is gonna overshadow batman if he is super intelligent you have nothing to worry about.Batman is a tactical genius,masterplaner and detective that is not superman's style.Its different from the kind of intelligent supes has!

@SandMan_ said:

@MisterKetch: Supes might not be the smartest guy ever, but he is no idiot. he is pretty smart.

@SandMan_: No man he is extremely smart,he made thinks like Pocket dimensions,he has knowledge of future and kryptonian technology,he is a great scientist but his main intelligent feat.... he tricks Mr.Mxyzptlk :P

MisterKetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MisterKetch

@Squalleon: lol im not sure where Batman comes into this I didn't bring up anything about him. The super intelligence imo equals raw brain power and I can only assume that means he's using more then 10% of the brain (which is the average for humans) which means there is no reason he wouldn't be a master planner between his super senses and massive intellect he should be able to immediately asses, process and enact a plan simultaneously.

I'm not arguing the Super Intelligence as a power. Yes while I don't like it and believe that makes an already physically overpowered character into nigh omnipotent I understand the basis for it and can't argue with that given his power set. If his body is made stronger by the sun it certainly stands to reason that his brain does too.

I will also restate that I am not a fan of Superman, he can be written into interesting stories (and certainly has) by good writers but I think super intelligence destroys his character completely. Case in point Earth One, if he is truly as preposterously brilliant and not to mention scientifically versatile as is stated then he's a selfish jerk for choosing instead to work at a failing newspaper. I'm not saying alter the course of mankind here (because that plays into exactly what lex fears/hates about him) but he could do so much more then write op-ed pieces about the homeless.

He's a good reporter and as such is an intuitive and intelligent person. In the bat family no man's land event when superman shows up he remarks that he researched his "costume" for blending into destroyed gotham and while batman was able to point out a dozen flaws with it he did say that no one else would probably notice, that to me seems an acceptable and approachable level of intelligence for Clark, above average for a human tempered with a lot of in the field experience dealing with science and world ending stuff.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Squalleon

@MisterKetch: All star superman had super intellect and he is the best interpretation of the character, the worst superman stories are the ones that dump him down to the point that he talks in monosyllables :-P

Please don't call him overpowered again :-),because he is not and yooooou know it

Also the 10% of the brain thing is a myth.Humans use 10% to think and the other 90% for the senses etc.....................

Look it up

For superman to be complete he has to have super intellect! As for the Batman thing i saw this comment and responded to you @SandMan_ said:

@MisterKetch: I would just like it if they keep it consistent. Not dumb him down when Batman is around.
    MisterKetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MisterKetch

@Squalleon:First off thank you I did in fact just look it up and was not aware that was a myth so kudos to you for helping me learn something interesting today :)

Fine, maybe he's not so much overpowered as badly written at times because the examples I was going to list I realized are from the new 52 "Superman" comic where it seems like he's overpowered because his villains are intangible sociopath's and a weird dimensional lizard man that has magic bullets that can hurt him.

I prefer the action comics version of a young superman or the old man superman in the Superman Beyond comic that's just me, you like your superman stronger then I like mine. My perfect version of the character would be intelligence commensurate with an ace reporter, super speed significantly less then a true speedster and perhaps slightly more vulnerable to physical attacks then he currently is.

I still hold to my point about Earth One Superman being a selfish punk for not better utilizing his talents to help the world.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Squalleon

@MisterKetch said: @MisterKetch said:

@Squalleon:First off thank you I did in fact just look it up and was not aware that was a myth so kudos to you for helping me learn something interesting today :)

Fine, maybe he's not so much overpowered as badly written at times because the examples I was going to list I realized are from the new 52 "Superman" comic where it seems like he's overpowered because his villains are intangible sociopath's and a weird dimensional lizard man that has magic bullets that can hurt him.

LOL

And well earth one is a different take on superman,so i don't have a problem for it to be different!

Grant's Action comics is great and its gonna be more than awesome now because we are reaching the climax of his run in a couple of issues (issue 16-17).That man really knows his superman!

MisterKetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MisterKetch

@Squalleon:Agreed, its a shame he's leaving it after issue 16 though. I'm not a Morrison fan boy by any means but he's been doing good work on Action even when it got a little spacey (in typical Morrison style)

That's why im really not excited about the movie, it seems to be following a more Earth One Clark while I think an Action Comics one would be so much better.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Squalleon

@MisterKetch: Well its Nolan so they go Dark,realistic style!

MisterKetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MisterKetch

@Squalleon: lol that's why im not excited for it. I love Nolan's original work, but the dark realistic style was one thing for Batman, I don't think it will work for Superman. I would be delighted to be wrong.

INLIFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By INLIFE

@Squalleon

For the superman human intelligence topic..........

No Caption Provided

His super intelligence is very essential. Superman's astounding abilities needs to be controlled by a much superior brain than that of humans. Even if it is not directly mentioned; it is hidden in most, if not all, of his superhuman actions and feats.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By danhimself

@sethysquare said:

@Eternal19 said:

how awesome would a book be if it were called "Regular Superman"???

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SmashBrawler

@danhimself said:

@sethysquare said:

@Eternal19 said:

Or a movie...

Next summer...

Be prepared to meet...

A new kind of REGULAR...

REGULAR SUPERMAN

The most irregular of regulars

SUMMER 2013

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By danhimself

@SmashBrawler said:

@danhimself said:

@sethysquare said:

@Eternal19 said:

Or a movie...

Next summer...

Be prepared to meet...

A new kind of REGULAR...

REGULAR SUPERMAN

The most irregular of regulars

SUMMER 2013

or

"LOOK UP IN THE REGULAR SKY!!!! IT'S A REGULAR BIRD!!!! IT'S A REGULAR PLANE!!!! IT'S REGULAR SUPERMAN!!!!!

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ssejllenrad

Any news on book 2?

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sethysquare

@ssejllenrad: out end of the month.

INLIFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By INLIFE

@sethysquare said:

Are You Serious? I have been waiting for the second volume for such a long time! Definitely getting it when it comes out.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sethysquare

@INLIFE said:

@sethysquare said:

Are You Serious? I have been waiting for the second volume for such a long time! Definitely getting it when it comes out.

Yes, me too. I've already preordered it.

bbally81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bbally81

Not really, I've actually enjoyed it. And I'm saying this as a long time Superman fan. Basically the comic read like a movie and you know what? It would've been a better Superman movie than Superman Returns, quite frankly.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.