DC Thinks Superman is uncool

  • 145 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Posted by DEGRAAF (7887 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems DC Comics and Warner Bros. think Superman is "damaged goods" and "uncool".

They're the exact words used by Mr. Gumpert, the film industry expert witness DC Comics called to the stand during their on-going court case with the Siegel family over the rights to Superman.

Page 10 of the 30-page court document reads:

    Defendants' film industry expert witness, Mr. Gumpert, termed Superman as "damaged goods," a character so "uncool" as to be considered passé, an opinion echoed by Warner Bros. business affairs executive, Steven Spira.

    http://uncivilsociety.org/siegel_070609.pdf



    Does this aggrivate anyone else? i know they might just be trying to down play the value of superman but this makes me hope they never get Superman back after 2013. I hope marvel or some other competitor get the license to him
#2 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

Screw him.
This isn't about Hollywood critics and those "so 15 minutes ago" experts.
Superman is a living legend,not some stupid little trinket that one can folly 'round with to suit the new generation's needs.
The new generation sucks anyway.

#3 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

Ya I think that's a ploy of WB to down play Superman. Although everything I've read DC won't lose the license, but if they plan on making a movie it has to be shopped around, which is a great thing for a Superman film. WB uses DC for cheap ready made movie ideas and doesn't really care how good they are because after all DC is WB's adopted little brother, and big daddy Timer Warner just wants money coming in from both studios. DC is viewed as a cash cow and nothing else by those two entities, which is why until Superman is made by a different film studio the movie won't be very good.

#4 Posted by Chaos Agent (2150 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF said:

    this makes me hope they never get Superman back after 2013. I hope marvel or some other competitor get the license to him
"
shame on you
#5 Posted by CaptHowdy (194 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree, WB brutalizes Superman.  I WISH DC was its own entity.

#6 Posted by DEGRAAF (7887 posts) - - Show Bio
@CaptHowdy said:
"I agree, WB brutalizes Superman.  I WISH DC was its own entity."

yea me too. I think they could stan on their own if they wanted to but since they dont have to and WB and Time Warner are so big there isnt any need to break away from them

@Chaos Agent said:
"@DEGRAAF said:

    this makes me hope they never get Superman back after 2013. I hope marvel or some other competitor get the license to him
"
shame on you"

lol ok that was a lil harsh. I was over reacting but still.
#7 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF said:
"
"@DEGRAAF said:

    this makes me hope they never get Superman back after 2013. I hope marvel or some other competitor get the license to him
"
shame on you"
lol ok that was a lil harsh. I was over reacting but still. "
a little harsh try krypton exploding harsh 




nah not that harsh but i would hope marvel or any other competitor would not try to the license out of respect and honor
#8 Posted by mv (1876 posts) - - Show Bio

Supes is cool

#9 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio
@MTS said:
"Supes is cool "

Superman transcends cool.  Surrounded by trendy, trenchcoat-wearing, gun-toting, claw stabbing, killing-is-okay "heroes", Superman rejects the shallow appeal of 'coolness' and embraces the true core values of a hero.
#10 Posted by mv (1876 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrMiracle77 said:
"@MTS said:
"Supes is cool "
Superman transcends cool.  Surrounded by trendy, trenchcoat-wearing, gun-toting, claw stabbing, killing-is-okay "heroes", Superman rejects the shallow appeal of 'coolness' and embraces the true core values of a hero. "

Agreed
#11 Posted by DEGRAAF (7887 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedK said:
"@DEGRAAF said:
"
"@DEGRAAF said:

    this makes me hope they never get Superman back after 2013. I hope marvel or some other competitor get the license to him
"
shame on you"
lol ok that was a lil harsh. I was over reacting but still. "
a little harsh try krypton exploding harsh  nah not that harsh but i would hope marvel or any other competitor would not try to the license out of respect and honor "

lol

Yea but would it be a smart or dumb idea for Marvel to pick up the superman lisence in terms of profit? With all this going on, i could see the seigels selling it to Marvel at a cheaper price than they would to DC. Plus even if they had it and didnt use it, that ruins the trinity, Destroys the key character in the JLA and Multiverse and ultimately keeps DC from one of their two biggest characters and cash cows
#12 Posted by DEGRAAF (7887 posts) - - Show Bio
@MTS said:
"@MrMiracle77 said:
"@MTS said:
"Supes is cool "
Superman transcends cool.  Surrounded by trendy, trenchcoat-wearing, gun-toting, claw stabbing, killing-is-okay "heroes", Superman rejects the shallow appeal of 'coolness' and embraces the true core values of a hero. "
Agreed "

what? is this a comic arc? ive never hear of this one
#13 Posted by Alexander Anderson (4030 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with the sentiments expressed by the astute fellows in the article.

#14 Posted by santeria_smith (304 posts) - - Show Bio

man that's cold blooded. supes is pretty damn cool.

dc should just open up DC Movie Studios. like what marvel did. screw WB

#15 Posted by mv (1876 posts) - - Show Bio
@Alexander Anderson said:
"I agree with the sentiments expressed by the astute fellows in the article."

wow lol
#16 Posted by MKF30 (11635 posts) - - Show Bio

Screw what some "haters" think....

Supes is a legend, period and the REASON for comics today...nobody can deny that.

He's like the Yankees, there's no grey area what so ever. Either you love him or hate him.

#17 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is awesome...and I think he's my favorite DC character for now.

#18 Posted by The Devil Tiger (1263 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is a "damaged good" and "uncool" must be traducted by :
 
We didn't get money enough with the last superman movie to worth make it a sequel and hoping to get more money !

I remember an interview in which Kevin Smith was sayin' that most of the producer and administrator of Hollywood weren't understanding a $.... about comics and maybe even movie, but they keep feedin' money into the project that could give  high rate return on their investement, and after seeing how dbz was ruined, I tend to believe it.

#19 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio
@santeria_smith said:
" man that's cold blooded. supes is pretty damn cool.dc should just open up DC Movie Studios. like what marvel did. screw WB "
YES
#20 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

i think superman is uncool and lame, does that count?

#21 Posted by RaDicalCannibal (1053 posts) - - Show Bio
@DH69 said:
" i think superman is uncool and lame, does that count? "

Lol.

I just think the guy is in need for a serious revampage, i mean to suit this generation, were all about kicking ass nowdays, not 50's style goody too shoes perfect people, with that i agree with what Joss whedon said
#22 Posted by Legend28 (10 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not fair how people see Superman today. I can't stand it when people hate Superman just because he's the good guy and goes by all the rules. I don't get. I mean when I think about Superman, I think about hope. I think about how much he cares for people, how much he will do to save people. To me that's a true hero. Not someone whose out for revenge or redemption. And while I do like characters such as The Punisher, Batman, Wolverine etc...there's just something about the honesty of Superman that's so captivating and inspiring.


#23 Posted by Adam Michaels (435 posts) - - Show Bio

I see it as those executives trying to minimize Superman's value. If I believed something I owned has no value and it's too old to mean something, I'd get rid of it. So after making such a statement, why doesn't WB let go of those rights?

It does bother me reading these statements. I think Superman is underrated these days, despite still being considered the greatest comic book hero by many. With darker characters like Batman and Wolverine being among the more popular today, I still believe Clark Kent/Kal-El/Superman is cool and deserves a SERIOUS shot at a film. One that would treat the character with the respect he deserves.

I picture a reboot franchise going the same route as Batman. Bruce Wayne had "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight". For Clark Kent, I'd do "Superman Begins" and "The Man of Steel". Basically, both first films are "Begins" titles and the sequel is titled after their second names (Dark Knight and Man of Steel).

#24 Posted by Serpent (209 posts) - - Show Bio

I do -not- want DC 'revamping' Superman.

I do not -trust- them to revamp superman.

I dont want him ending up wielding guns while dresse din black while making a deal with the devil or something else retarded.

He's the boyscout: that's who he is.  Its what makes superman.

All I really think they need to revamp is his suit: and not very much.  Just have him wear his underpants on the inside or something.

#25 Posted by Omg chris (1607 posts) - - Show Bio

Supes is awesome XD!!!!!!! he is an icon

#26 Posted by Scarecrow4 (480 posts) - - Show Bio
@Omg chris said:
" Supes is awesome XD!!!!!!! he is an icon "
I Agree
#27 Posted by mv (1876 posts) - - Show Bio
@RaDicalCannibal said:
"@DH69 said:
" i think superman is uncool and lame, does that count? "
Lol.I just think the guy is in need for a serious revampage, i mean to suit this generation, were all about kicking ass nowdays, not 50's style goody too shoes perfect people, with that i agree with what Joss whedon said"

Nah he doesn't need to be revamped, we have enoughtough guys carrying guns and whatever supes is unique, they could revamp his costume  though
#28 Posted by DEGRAAF (7887 posts) - - Show Bio

I htink he is perfect just the way he is, he could use a new suit, im just say'n

#29 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

DC should make superman kick more, i mean punching and blitzing to overpower your adversaries are cool. Repetitive though, make him throw more kicks in fight scenes.

#30 Posted by DEGRAAF (7887 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nerx said:
"DC should make superman kick more, i mean punching and blitzing to overpower your adversaries are cool. Repetitive though, make him throw more kicks in fight scenes."

never really thought about it. it would be cool to see him mix more martial arts with his powers, do like a super round house kick knocking his oponent in to mars or further and going to get him. it would be funny to see him do a neck chop too
#31 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF: He was given legs , he should use it or lose it. A man who can move planets does not even feel like throwing a kick?
#32 Posted by DEGRAAF (7887 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nerx said:
"@DEGRAAF: He was given legs , he should use it or lose it. A man who can move planets does not even feel like throwing a kick?"

i agree with you
#33 Posted by DEGRAAF (7887 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nerx said:
"@DEGRAAF: He was given legs , he should use it or lose it. A man who can move planets does not even feel like throwing a kick?"

mnaybe one of his kicks would be to powerful, but he should still be able to kick someone like mongul or superboy-prime or darksied or doomsday,
#34 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2615 posts) - - Show Bio
"Defendants' film industry expert witness, Mr. Gumpert, termed Superman as "damaged goods," a character so "uncool" as to be considered passé, an opinion echoed by Warner Bros. business affairs executive, Steven Spira."

Sounds like they have their heads firmly lodged some where. ;)

Just because they couldn't find a competent writer(s) and they didn't make as much money as they think they should have made doesn't matter.
#35 Edited by Dr. ? man (154 posts) - - Show Bio

It's pretty hard for any hero to be cool when they're held down by  a company that routinely decides to place the hero in the same box. Warner Brothers has been Superman's kryptonite for years because they refuse to let the Superman franchise flourish instead they let the Donner era dictate everything despite the fact that it's outdated. When Warner Brothers finally decides to give Superman better material to work with, the character will work because Warner Brothers is the common denominator in all of this.

#36 Posted by LastSon1027 (516 posts) - - Show Bio

They don't get any cooler than Supes.

#37 Posted by Sidney (1272 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedK said:
"@DEGRAAF said:
"
"@DEGRAAF said:

    this makes me hope they never get Superman back after 2013. I hope marvel or some other competitor get the license to him
"
shame on you"
lol ok that was a lil harsh. I was over reacting but still. "
a little harsh try krypton exploding harsh  nah not that harsh but i would hope marvel or any other competitor would not try to the license out of respect and honor "

What you think Marvel would try and get Superman.
#38 Posted by Sidney (1272 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean if Superman goes to marvel they would have to do his whole story arc over again. I mean it be the same and all but still cause he would be in a new universe. Plus they have to rewrite the Avengers since he would join the Avengers and be the leader. It be cool to see him in Marvel but very unlikely.

And I agree Superman is cool he is the inspiration of peace, hope. He is not Batman, Punisher and Wolverine. If their is one man I could trust it is Superman. not saying I cannot trust them other 3 but Superman is well Superman. Also Wolverine is really mean if you think about it and Punisher is a cruel man even Batman is savage and mean at times. Superman is not he nice and gentle.

#39 Posted by DEGRAAF (7887 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sidney said:
"@RedK said:
"@DEGRAAF said:
"
"@DEGRAAF said:

    this makes me hope they never get Superman back after 2013. I hope marvel or some other competitor get the license to him
"
shame on you"
lol ok that was a lil harsh. I was over reacting but still. "
a little harsh try krypton exploding harsh  nah not that harsh but i would hope marvel or any other competitor would not try to the license out of respect and honor "
What you think Marvel would try and get Superman. "

i dont actually think they would get him bc even if they tried unless the segiels were unwilling to even negotiate with DC marvel and DC would have a bidding war and one the winner would pay threw the nose for it. than if marvel did win, they would still have to throw a butt load of money at it just to take him off all over again, but if you look at it business wise, if you could take ur biggest competitions foundation and biggest character, would you?

I know i would. its a good business decision.
#40 Posted by Sidney (1272 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF said:
"@Sidney said:
"@RedK said:
"@DEGRAAF said:
"
"@DEGRAAF said:

    this makes me hope they never get Superman back after 2013. I hope marvel or some other competitor get the license to him
"
shame on you"
lol ok that was a lil harsh. I was over reacting but still. "
a little harsh try krypton exploding harsh  nah not that harsh but i would hope marvel or any other competitor would not try to the license out of respect and honor "
What you think Marvel would try and get Superman. "
i dont actually think they would get him bc even if they tried unless the segiels were unwilling to even negotiate with DC marvel and DC would have a bidding war and one the winner would pay threw the nose for it. than if marvel did win, they would still have to throw a butt load of money at it just to take him off all over again, but if you look at it business wise, if you could take ur biggest competitions foundation and biggest character, would you?I know i would. its a good business decision. "

So can they do it? Will they do it? Will the Segiels sell Supermans rights to Marvel? Marvel has the money they made successful movies. I mean hey it be interesting if Superman went to Marvel. But if he did how would they do his character?

Also yeah I would take my competition's biggest player no doubt. But the question is can they and will they do it? And if they do how much will this change the comic book inudstry, No Superman in DC and Batman will be #1. Will Dc survive without Superman. Questions that need to be answered.
#41 Posted by DEGRAAF (7887 posts) - - Show Bio

can they? yes

Will they? probably not

Will seigels sell superman rights to marvel? it would be interesting to hear about even if they didnt end up getting him. only time will tell

probably bring him in like he was there all along but trapped in another dimension or an ancient legend that has been brought back. Probably something like Blue Marvel. I think everybodies real interest would be them finally answering the question on who would win in a fight between hulk and superman or superman and sentry or something liek that

#42 Posted by Sidney (1272 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF said:
"can they? yesWill they? probably notWill seigels sell superman rights to marvel? it would be interesting to hear about even if they didnt end up getting him. only time will tellprobably bring him in like he was there all along but trapped in another dimension or an ancient legend that has been brought back. Probably something like Blue Marvel. I think everybodies real interest would be them finally answering the question on who would win in a fight between hulk and superman or superman and sentry or something liek that "

See man now you got me excited about all this and its most likely not even gonna happen man. Alsi should they rename the city Superman be in. Like change it from Metropolis to Chicago?
#43 Posted by cannabisassassin87 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

if marvel does get superman it probably wouldn't be too bad. as long as they kept the origin story the same i'm pretty sure people wouldn't mind.

#44 Posted by Sidney (1272 posts) - - Show Bio
@cannabisassassin87 said:
"if marvel does get superman it probably wouldn't be too bad. as long as they kept the origin story the same i'm pretty sure people wouldn't mind."

Agreed. It be awesome to see Superman in Marvel Universe.
#45 Posted by Bogey (948 posts) - - Show Bio

Just make a Superman movie battling Doomsday in which they both KO each other at the end.

#46 Posted by King Saturn (224286 posts) - - Show Bio
Superman will always be Cool
#47 Posted by Sidney (1272 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bogey said:
"Just make a Superman movie battling Doomsday in which they both KO each other at the end. "

Lol Death of Superman. Sadly we already seen that in Superman Returns.
#48 Posted by DEGRAAF (7887 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sidney said:
"@DEGRAAF said:
"can they? yesWill they? probably notWill seigels sell superman rights to marvel? it would be interesting to hear about even if they didnt end up getting him. only time will tellprobably bring him in like he was there all along but trapped in another dimension or an ancient legend that has been brought back. Probably something like Blue Marvel. I think everybodies real interest would be them finally answering the question on who would win in a fight between hulk and superman or superman and sentry or something liek that "
See man now you got me excited about all this and its most likely not even gonna happen man. Alsi should they rename the city Superman be in. Like change it from Metropolis to Chicago? "

lol i dont even know what you are trying to say but ive im understanding it right, than yea. just put him in a real city instead of a made up one. Dont they have made up cities in marvel comics? Yea i wouldnt get to excited. WE wont see anything happening until atleast half way thru 2012 and even then i dont think that marvel would end up getting him


Would anyone like to see him moved or handed to a smaller company besides Marvel and DC
#49 Posted by Sidney (1272 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF said:
"@Sidney said:
"@DEGRAAF said:
"can they? yesWill they? probably notWill seigels sell superman rights to marvel? it would be interesting to hear about even if they didnt end up getting him. only time will tellprobably bring him in like he was there all along but trapped in another dimension or an ancient legend that has been brought back. Probably something like Blue Marvel. I think everybodies real interest would be them finally answering the question on who would win in a fight between hulk and superman or superman and sentry or something liek that "
See man now you got me excited about all this and its most likely not even gonna happen man. Alsi should they rename the city Superman be in. Like change it from Metropolis to Chicago? "
lol i dont even know what you are trying to say but ive im understanding it right, than yea. just put him in a real city instead of a made up one. Dont they have made up cities in marvel comics? Yea i wouldnt get to excited. WE wont see anything happening until atleast half way thru 2012 and even then i dont think that marvel would end up getting himWould anyone like to see him moved or handed to a smaller company besides Marvel and DC "

Wait? So Other companies can get him? DC really can lose Superman huh I thought they wouldo nly lose the movie rights like how Fox does marvel movies but they could lose his whole rights?

And yeah have him be in a real city like Chicago and no Marvel has no fictional cities.

And only company i want him in other then DC is Marvel unless he goes back to action comics but they part of DC. What about Dark Horse comics?
#50 Posted by The Batman! (879 posts) - - Show Bio

superman is cool sometimes, Batman is cool all the time!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.