DC Comics Responds To Orson Scott Card Backlash

#1 Posted by zeejaybay (70 posts) - - Show Bio

DC Comics has issued an official response to the growing backlash over its hiring sci-fi author and vocal gay-rights opponent Orson Scott Card to contribute to its "Adventures of Superman" anthology.

Full article here.

#2 Posted by Z3RO180 (6250 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok I'm confused is this card guy for or agenst gay marriage ?

#3 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Gay rights opponent would probably mean anti-gay but authors/everyone should be allowed any opinion.

#4 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I hear the guy isn't just anti-gay, he's overthrow-the-us-government-for-recognizing-gays-as-people anti-gay.

#5 Posted by Z3RO180 (6250 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh his opinion is his his opinion no matter how back wards to Jupiter it is. As long as his writing for the new title doesn't suck it's all good for me.

#6 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

No need to do witch hunts. Half of america is conservative so there are tons of people out there who hate gays. Not sure what percentage of the population is looney but looney people have freedom of speech also. If somebody wants to start a new revolution or reformation movement, that is also part of human rights. We all need to respect the private life and opinions of everyone including comic book authors.

#7 Posted by trickarrow (15 posts) - - Show Bio

He has a right to his own opinion. It has no bearing on the comic.

#8 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180 said:

Meh his opinion is his his opinion no matter how back wards to Jupiter it is. As long as his writing for the new title doesn't suck it's all good for me.

We're talking about the Hugo/Nebula winner for authoring Ender's Game here. I doubt it will be bad writing. Not to mention his 2 consecutive Hugo/Nebula winner novels didn't have any anti-gay agenda on them. I'm pretty sure he will not impose his own beliefs in his writing. Especially now that the LGBT community has him on a microscope.

#9 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a good writer and frankly, I couldn't care any less about his opinions on anything else.

#10 Posted by drgnx (3547 posts) - - Show Bio

If you don't like his views, don't buy his book. Being racist is not illegal but doing certain acts can hurt your company's image, same as anti-gay. I never got the point of being anti-anything except anti-hate-group. But meh...

#11 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

If he's not spamming his beliefs in the pages of Superman, then I don't care.

#12 Posted by SC (12511 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah since you know there is quite a huge range between various views and beliefs, some of which actually involve actions and have actual impact on people, I'll treat thus guy the same way as if he were to want all woman and or black and or old people out of "his country" and or considers people who treat woman or black people as equals as mentally ill, I mean lol he threatens to DESTROY the government if it "attempts to change the definition of marriage" so uhm yeah.

Thats just me, for some reason I don't want to support a guy like that. Maybe I am mentally ill like he suggests for thinking homosexuals, heterosexuals, metrosexuals, woman, black people, brown people and whatever Wolverine is should be treated the same. Well, maybe not Wolverine. Hairy people scare me.

#13 Posted by Z3RO180 (6250 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC then you being in a room with a gorilla must be a .... HAIRIY situation Yyyyyyyyeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaa

#14 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

No need to do witch hunts. Half of america is conservative so there are tons of people out there who hate gays. Not sure what percentage of the population is looney but looney people have freedom of speech also. If somebody wants to start a new revolution or reformation movement, that is also part of human rights. We all need to respect the private life and opinions of everyone including comic book authors.

I don't think half of america hates gay. Conservatives hate the act of being gay but not gays themselves.

@SC said:

Yeah since you know there is quite a huge range between various views and beliefs, some of which actually involve actions and have actual impact on people, I'll treat thus guy the same way as if he were to want all woman and or black and or old people out of "his country" and or considers people who treat woman or black people as equals as mentally ill, I mean lol he threatens to DESTROY the government if it "attempts to change the definition of marriage" so uhm yeah.

Thats just me, for some reason I don't want to support a guy like that. Maybe I am mentally ill like he suggests for thinking homosexuals, heterosexuals, metrosexuals, woman, black people, brown people and whatever Wolverine is should be treated the same. Well, maybe not Wolverine. Hairy people scare me.

Did he really say that? Or is it more like, "if the democrats want to have gay marriage, then i'll vote for republics >:(" Also, did he really say that he wants homosexuals out of the country? If he believes that being a homosexual is a choice, then he is only rooting for them to choose to be not homosexual. I personally don't care what his views are as long as he writes good comics. But if you have a problem with it, then its your prerogative to not buy his comics. I don't see the point of asking DC to get him fired. Sounds lame.

#15 Posted by SC (12511 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

Did he really say that? Or is it more like, "if the democrats want to have gay marriage, then i'll vote for republics >:(" Also, did he really say that he wants homosexuals out of the country? If he believes that being a homosexual is a choice, then he is only rooting for them to choose to be not homosexual. I personally don't care what his views are as long as he writes good comics. But if you have a problem with it, then its your prerogative to not buy his comics. I don't see the point of asking DC to get him fired. Sounds lame.

Which bit sorry? I'll quote directly some of the things he has said or that others have attributed to him that raise my eyebrow the highest.

'Richard Neal, owner of the Dallas store, wrote this afternoon on his Facebook page. “Card sits on the board of the National Organization of Marriage which fights against marriage equality. His essays advocate the destruction of my relationship, that I am born of rape or abuse and that I am equated with pedophilia.'

'A board member of the National Organization for Marriage, a group dedicated to the opposition of same-sex marriage, the author has tried to link homosexuality to childhood molestation, advocated home-schooling to ensure children “are not propagandized with the ‘normality’ of ‘gay marriage’” (with Card, the phrase is always in quotation marks), and floated slippery-slope scenarios in which marriage-equality opponents one day will be classified as “mentally ill” and parents who encourage their children to pursue heterosexual marriage “will be labeled as a bigot and accused of hate speech.

Following rulings by “dictator-judges” in 2008 that same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry, Card infamously endorsed a government overthrow, writing, “How long before married people answer the dictators thus: Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down, so it can be replaced with a government that will respect and support marriage, and help me raise my children in a society where they will expect to marry in their turn.'

If you click on the links (there are a quite a lot of links within links etc or google his name you can get more stuff) Hope that helps.

For me personally? I accept I can't know everything about the people I buy things from, but I keep my eyes and ears open, to me views are indicators of actions and behaviors. If my local grocer is using the money I give him to support his views that woman shouldn't be allowed to vote, then that affects me and my views and so I'll shop elsewhere no matter how delicious his tomatoes may be. I'll probably shout my decision to do so and why really loudly as well. Oh and I wouldn't ask DC to fire him personally, but I would let them know I won't read his material and so they have to decide whether its worth it for them or not.

#16 Posted by Z3RO180 (6250 posts) - - Show Bio

It's really hard to get exited for this book when the author has so much bad sh@/ attached to his name regarding same sex couples :/

#17 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

liberals.................ugh

#18 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

If he's not spamming his beliefs in the pages of Superman, then I don't care.

This.

#19 Posted by thatlad (588 posts) - - Show Bio

So much for free speech

#20 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

I still watch Mel Gibson (Racist) films. I still enjoy Floyd Mayweather (Racist) fights. I still enjoy Gene Simmons (sexist) music. I still watch Sean Connery even after watching him backhand women back in his early Bond films. Dana White of UFC is an anti-theist but I still am a fan of MMA and their promotions. These are but a few in a business filled with misogynists, misandrists(feminazists), and all other ists out there. That's what they do. They entertain us. I don't do it to be preached or be indoctrinated by their stupid mentalities. I do it to be entertained. And that's all I need. That's just me.

#21 Posted by Onemoreposter (3870 posts) - - Show Bio

Orson can write. That's why he was hired. I look forward to this. I'm sure there have been lots of authors and artists in the comic book industry that are bigger a-holes than this guy. At least Mr. Card is upfront about what he thinks.

#22 Posted by Bogey (930 posts) - - Show Bio

I look forward to reading his stories. An Sci-FI approach to Superman should be great.

#23 Posted by cameron83 (6499 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

I still watch Mel Gibson (Racist) films. I still enjoy Floyd Mayweather (Racist) fights. I still enjoy Gene Simmons (sexist) music. I still watch Sean Connery even after watching him backhand women back in his early Bond films. Dana White of UFC is an anti-theist but I still am a fan of MMA and their promotions. These are but a few in a business filled with misogynists, misandrists(feminazists), and all other ists out there. That's what they do. They entertain us. I don't do it to be preached or be indoctrinated by their stupid mentalities. I do it to be entertained. And that's all I need. That's just me.

agreed.

Honestly,I see no reason at all to hate gay people,or anyone (in fact,I really don't care if a person is gay to the point that I don't really like to distinguish them as "gay" people,just people.)

But as long as this guy keeps his views away from comics,then I don't care.What are you gonna do,hate him because of his views.That's as ridiculous as me not watching movies with Tom cruise simply because he is a scientologist. Or not buying a comic because it is written by a feminist.It's ridiculous.

#24 Posted by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly who cares what his personal beliefs are. As long as he keeps it out of his writing, leave the guy alone.

#25 Posted by shieldzeal (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting read:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/02/the-real-reason-to-fear-a-homophobe-writing-a-superman-comic/273262/

I don't agree with the whole premise that 2 Jewish kids were motivated by a pulp KKK costumed vigilante to create a similarly fascist Superman.

#26 Posted by EdBlank (492 posts) - - Show Bio

I am going to use a leap of logic and say that the people who don't care about this guy's views either 1) have zero vested interest (no relatives or friends that are gay) and they are in the "doesn't affect me" group or 2) actually agree with the man. Just imagine for a second if I went out of my way to let you know that I hate 1) people who are neutral on the issue and 2) people who agree with Card. What if I created a website and blogged about it weekly. Then I came to comic vine regularly to locate and ahrass you about your views. Would you, then, support my writing thereafter? Let's say I had the most popular fan fic on the web. Would you read it after that? Tell a lie to yourself and say "sure. I'd read it." Supporting people you don't agree with iscounter productive. If you believe gay people should be allowed to a) exist and b) marry then giving a guy who considers you his mortal enemy another few million to fight you with is just DUMB. Why do you guys always throw the freedom of speech card? He can say what he wants. And people - using their G-d given right to choose - can choose not to contribute one red cent to him or his causes (by paying him you support his "war"). Both sides are equally able to voice their opinions. Card from his soap box and LGBT supporters by not buying his stuff. Simple as can be.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.