Darker Retelling?

#1 Posted by xAnimosity (183 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like to read darker versions of stories like the current Batman, Swamp Thing, Aquaman and X-Force titles. I have recently finally gotten into liking Superman. And I was wondering if there were any darker versions of the Superman story? (No I dont mean where Superman is evil) Superman Earth One sounded like it would be on the darker side from the reviews I read. Anyone have any suggestions?

#2 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Earth One is great.

#3 Posted by xAnimosity (183 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

Earth One is great.

Is it a darker story? I think Im going to pick it up.

#4 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@xAnimosity said:

@sethysquare said:

Earth One is great.

Is it a darker story? I think Im going to pick it up.

You can say that. It is a darker story. whats so funny about the truth justice and the american way fits into that category as well. Death of Superman is a really great book and it tells of a very dark time in Superman.

I also particularly like Geoff John's run on Superman: Brainiac. Which is also a darker story.

Other than that, I would say All Star Superman, although isn't very dark, its a very very touching story and tells the ending of Superman.

#5 Posted by xAnimosity (183 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks a lot for the info. I am def adding these to my "To Read" list.

#6 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Ofcourse there are also classics like Red Son, Kingdom Come, Secret Origins, For Tommorow and etc. But the darker ones would be those mentioned above IMO.

#7 Posted by YoggSaron (812 posts) - - Show Bio

Kingdom Come isn't exactly bright and cheery either.

#8 Posted by zedmot (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Kingdom Come for the win. One of my favorites.

#9 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, Kingdom Come do fit the darker tales as well.

#10 Posted by Night Thrasher (3687 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

Ofcourse there are also classics like Red Son, Kingdom Come, Secret Origins, For Tommorow and etc. But the darker ones would be those mentioned above IMO.

Red Son is exactly what popped into my mind when I read the OP.

#11 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by CrimsonCake (2677 posts) - - Show Bio

Would you count the superman in Titans Tomorrow?

Countdown Presents: Lord Havok and the Extremists Vol 1 3

#13 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

I also particularly like Geoff John's run on Superman: Brainiac. Which is also a darker story.

Geoff Johns' Brainiac (And his entire run) is the exact opposite of darker story.

I'd recommend Superman: Birthright. It's not really that dark, but darker than most and a very good story by itself.

#14 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

For darker Superman stories I recommend Kingdom Come, Earth One and What's so Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way.

#15 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

If you want a darker Superman, it may not be a comic, but read this unmade Superman movie script called Superman Lives (made in the 90's, so it is sure to be dark)

#16 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom: I do agree to a certain extent. But I hated Birthrights. Just awful.

#17 Posted by xAnimosity (183 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks guys for all the recommendations :)

Looks like a lot to keep me busy for awhile.

#18 Posted by xAnimosity (183 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@sethysquare said:

I also particularly like Geoff John's run on Superman: Brainiac. Which is also a darker story.

Geoff Johns' Brainiac (And his entire run) is the exact opposite of darker story.

I will probably still check this out, just because I like Geoff Johns.Thanks to his awesome run on Aquaman.

#19 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@xAnimosity said:

@AtPhantom said:

@sethysquare said:

I also particularly like Geoff John's run on Superman: Brainiac. Which is also a darker story.

Geoff Johns' Brainiac (And his entire run) is the exact opposite of darker story.

I will probably still check this out, just because I like Geoff Johns.Thanks to his awesome run on Aquaman.

If you do like Geoff Johns stuff, I personally think that Secret Origins and the legion arc are two of his best run. Together with Brainiac and Toyman. These 4 arcs are pretty popular and you can easily find them anywhere.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.