Curing Cancer

#1 Edited by UltimateSMfan (1364 posts) - - Show Bio

So Superman can turn up the intensity of his x-ray vision to emit gamma radiation,weve seen in AC #2 him emitting micro waves and stuff,so this seems pretty logical(as logical as real world science can get in comics) so anyway......

i'v read about a radio surgery technology known as the gamma knife(used for brain tumors),not a knife but more like a concentrated release of gamma rays that destroy brain tumors,malignant or benign without affecting the surrounding healthy brain tissue(unlike chemo which is unpredictable) so Superman can emit concentrated gamma rays from his eyes.....i don't kno if its been discussed in comics before about superman curing cancer and if he can or not and if he should or not...i, so far haven't come across a story like that and im unsure if its been done.

what im getting at is clearly if he wanted to he could try,so does 'with great power comes great responsibility' hold up here? and everything he's been taught about being a good person and helping people out?

Should Superman spend an hour every other day curing people with brain cancer? does he go down that path or not? is it his moral responsibility? i kno its comic books but still should it be addressed in comics if it hasn't been already?

i don't really know what to think about it, thats why im sharing my thoughts here.So,what do you guys think?

#2 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

He had Kandorian super-doctors cure cancer in All-Star.....

#3 Edited by warlock360 (28040 posts) - - Show Bio

The Gamma knife is more precise and uses 201 Radiation sources whereas supes only can instensify his eye beams to the degree that it becomes unontrolled "gamma radiation", which is still pretty brute force compared to the Gamma knife.

If he even so far as tried doing so, he would increase the likelyhood of cancer in the patient.

#4 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32654 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultimatesmfan: Captain Atom cured cancer in I think it was issue 3 or 4 of his New 52 book

#5 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1364 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Yup and that spawned a cult that worshipped him like a god and destroyed the future or something like that so then he went back in time and undid it. so that didn't really work out for him.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.