Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Created In

Resonate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Resonate

whoa

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By NiteFly

I don't have any reason to confirm or deny either, although I note that the Wikipedia article lacks citation for that sentence, and therefore (short of searching other sources) there is no way to substantiate that claim. You may want to rephrase it to describe his first being published in 1938 in Action Comics 1. You could also PM zero edge to see if he has any insight seeing as how he is the leading contributer to that page.

Avatar image for superboy_prime_10000
    Superboy-Prime 10000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

aztek_the_lost says:

"so nobody has any meaningful views on this I guess?"

I think the 1932 thing was refering to the year when the original Superman"The reign of Superman"(That bald,bad guy with telepathic powers)was created.

In 1935 Superman was recreated once more,but this time as a Super hero with all of his Golden Age powers.This was rejected by newspaper syndicates(to avoid lawsuits),because Superman's powers was very similiar to Hugo Danner,a leading character in the novel "Gladiator", written by Philip Wylie.

DC decides to take a chance with Superman,and intended to drop the feature if any lawsuit were filed.

Thus,the revised Superman was born in 1938 Action Comics #1.

http://en.dcdatabaseproject.com/Superman#Publication_History

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Superman's creators were born in 1914, so they would have turned 16 in 1930, so that is just plain wrong. Anyway, we have to take Superman's creation date as when he was first published, not when the idea came about. I know Superman was originally intended as a strip in a Cleveland paper, which is why one of the early comics refers to that city as nobody changed it.

That whole publication history section looks shakey at best to be honest. I think it needs a rewrite for anyone who is interested (I would but I'm working on other characters at the moment).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.