Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Could Superman freeze a planet to death?

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
    deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Could he use his breath as a life wiping attack and make a planet cold and dead?

-Racob has spoken

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I'd assume so, but he lacks the feats.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly. No! And it's not because he can't do it, but he wouldn't know how to do it.

You have to realize that one of the strangest and most difficult things to compreend about Superman his that writers always make him a little dumb when it regards his powers. How many times have you read Superman in one point or another complain about how he doesn't know the limits to his powers, that he doesn't quite comprehends how they actually work, and that he rarely does anything to change that.

Lets look at your question from a facts+logic point of view.

It has been shown in Superman comics that he can easily move the entire mass of the Earth for multiple consecutive days without taking a break. Now! Applying this to the amount of energy that his body can produce, if he wanted to he could fire a heat vision beam so concentrated and intense that one blast would be enough to turn the entire planet to nothing more than rubble or dust. He says his X-ray vision can't see through led, and I say bullsh#t! X-rays like any other form of electromagnatic energy can pass through anything, given it has enough energy intensity to do so. In college me and colleagues of mine once tested an high-focused x-ray machine, built with the intent to use in deep soil scanning, to be used in mineral search and could even be used in arqueology, one of the things we wanted was that the x-rays could actually penetrate led, and we did it, it was all a matter of how the radiation was focused and the fequencies we used. So has you see, if me my friends could do it with a portable generator (granted it was a big one), think about Superman power levels, and tell me that the whole x-ray vision not seeing through led makes any sense. And finaly we arrive at you've been waiting for, his artic breath. Could he freeze the entire planet?! No! Why!? Because to freeze the entire planet using his breath he would have to inhale at least 50 to 60% of the planet atmosphere into himself, cool it down, and then exhale it all back. And from what we've seen from Superman lung capacity that's something beyond him. But like I said at the beginning, its not that he can't, he doesn't know how to do it. We've also seen that Superman in the New 52 can manipulate and emit all energies of the known EM spectrum. And that some beings that have tried to duplicate his powers, were able to freeze things without using breath, they simply frooze stuff. Think for example of the pre-new 52 bizarro, he had flame breath and freeze vision. Following this line of thought one could theorize that Superman powers are a misture of energy/psychic manipulation. So if Superman could freeze stuff using his energy beams instead of his breath, then in that case, Yes! He would be able to freeze the entire planet, to an ice ball.

Avatar image for josteinfleurme65
    Josteinfleurme65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally, he actually has a feat similar to what you are talking about.

RyuBG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably if he pushes himself to the maximum, he froze the brain of a sun-eater creature which size was considerable respect to the sun.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

WF_Mxyzptlk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silver Age Superman could do it in a single breath.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, it's kinda why a like the character, he has no realistic boundries to what he can or can't do, he's a magical alien being who has no magic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.